• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Post Cooldown

JustNicole

Is it possible we could introduce some sort of post cooldown timer for new members so they cannot spam posts? I'd really like to some form of cooldown timer based on the number of user posts for say their first 30 posts. It wouldn't need to be an incredibly long timer, something as short as a minute I think would suffice. but when a brand new member is able to do this to an entire section who just joined 8 hours and has already done 181 posts based on spamming introduction welcome messages, I think it's time to strongly consider some form of cooldown timer for new user in between posts. I am not trying to start a witch hunt on certain users or their activity, simply trying to come up with a solution to curve this behavior.

I would like to see this applied to status updates as well if it is passed.

I like this idea as well. Mostly for status updates because I once looked at the status updates at the side of the screen and there were more than half of them from the same person. But as for introductions, I mean, what's wrong with somebody wanting to say hi to each person? That's nice of them. Maybe stop them from spamming the SAME introduction thread? 

I like this idea as well. Mostly for status updates because I once looked at the status updates at the side of the screen and there were more than half of them from the same person. But as for introductions, I mean, what's wrong with somebody wanting to say hi to each person? That's nice of them. Maybe stop them from spamming the SAME introduction thread? 

You can click on the spoiler to see just how many times this person posted on a new account. I've blurred their name to avoid witch-hunting. This isn't the first time it has happened as far as I know. From pages 1 to 7 of the introduction section were all posts by them. Page 7.

evidence1.JPGevidence2.JPGevidence3.JPGevidence4.JPGevidence5.JPG

You can click on the spoiler to see just how many times this person posted on a new account. I've blurred their name to avoid witch-hunting. This isn't the first time it has happened as far as I know. From pages 1 to 7 of the introduction section were all posts by them. Page 7.

Thank you for being willing to find an example for me. Still though, if they want to greet everybody, then that's their business. Saying hello and greeting people promotes the site, if anything. 

Thank you for being willing to find an example for me. Still though, if they want to greet everybody, then that's their business. Saying hello and greeting people promotes the site, if anything. 

Per the RPNation rules:

6. Spam - Users should not post spam on RpNation. Spam is defined as posting content in an area of the site where that content is not meant to be held. This can include but is not limited to: posting repeated images, flooding a thread or forum with posts, and posting forum games within the discussion forums. Threads or posts marked as spam will be either moved to the appropriate section or deleted by moderators.

Be Wary of Flooding - When considering Spam, users should be wary of flooding a thread or forum. Flooding is the action of creating multiple entries within a single area of the site in a short period of time. Users can flood forums by posting too many threads in one forum too frequently or without necessity and in threads by posting too many posts in a single thread.

Keep in mind the above was all done in under an hour. It's already a violation of RPNation rules. My hope is that by putting in a post cooldown timer new users understand that flooding or spamming is not permissible on this board so they can learn, thus not having to result moderators or admins having to step in and get involved, and the user is able to continue to use RPNation.

Per the RPNation rules:

Keep in mind the above was all done in under an hour. It's already a violation of RPNation rules. My hope is that by putting in a post cooldown timer new users understand that flooding or spamming is not permissible on this board so they can learn, thus not having to result moderators or admins having to step in and get involved, and the user is able to continue to use RPNation.

Ah, I haven't read the rules in like three years and so I had forgotten about this line, "Flooding is the action of creating multiple entries within a single area of the site in a short period of time." I thought it was counted as flooding only if someone posted like 20 times in a really short amount of time in one SINGLE thread or forum. 

Personally I think an introduction thread older than 24 hours should be locked, I look up and I see an introduction thread that's a week old still being updated with people talking to one another, save that for the pms, they're hiding other introduction posts that no one gets to see sometimes

Personally I think an introduction thread older than 24 hours should be locked, I look up and I see an introduction thread that's a week old still being updated with people talking to one another, save that for the pms, they're hiding other introduction posts that no one gets to see sometimes

That would be an excellent separate suggestion, one I'd highly recommend you make your own suggestion thread for!

It better be short.

It wouldn't need to be an incredibly long timer, something as short as a minute I think would suffice.

I would actually report those that do this. A warning from a Mod would suffice to help curb them. And by warning I mean a simple stop please, you're violating the sacred rules of RPN. I've seen people post "HI" only in intros like this user, and that is spam if it doesn't have more than 4 words in it

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be good for status updates, I don't agree on the introductions though. Nothing wrong with saying hi or getting to know someone by way of an introduction. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back