Porthca Landing III: Burned Bridges & Broken Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca
  • Abrahms

One Thousand Club
    Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern:

Those within the tavern slept on their beds, perhaps some measure of relief from everything that had happened and was dealt with, a chapter closing behind them in their more recent adventures. However, they all understood ... things were far from over -- infact things had already started, and they weren't even awake yet.

Magnolia:

Sleep has taken the halfling and brought her home ... the familiar lands of Negrastir, the small roads and ornate architecture she grew up around, even if at times it represented an Empire she was not fond of, it's hard to deny the nostalgia she felt at seeing the buildings once more. Homes she remembered playing around, eating in, or lounging within when the humid summers swept through, waiting eagerly for the strong rains to work their way down the coast and relieve the heat.

She found herself able to step around this memory of her old village, though it appears to be a ghost town, things left as if someone was whisked away in a moment, the more she looked the more she saw tools dropped as if in the middle of work, meals set out at tables but ignored, tasks left half-finished. However the more she walked the more she slowly heard someone moving around, and turning a corner she foundd another halfling, but there's something ... awe-inspiring about her. There's almost an aura of peace and happiness to the woman, and her form has no flaw, her clothing looks comfortable yet practical at the same time, and on her hip rests a goathorn, held by a simple leather strap.

She hums as she collects things, putting away tools and materials, speaking out loud, "I assume you're going to help? It's unfortunate what has happened here, truly unfortunate." The woman sighed before looking towards Magnolia, strangely difficult for her to look at, almost like staring into the sun or a bonfire, but the halfling smiled and the pain weakened. "Apologies -- that should be better, yes?" Approaching Magnolia she handed over the tools and items she'd collected: a pair of shortswords, a boot with the sole burned, a fence gate, a blossoming flower, and a dog's collar. Patting Magnolia's hand she smiled, "Never forget, I am with all my Children, and my Children are always watching over their children." Chuckling slightly, "It's children all the way down -- but I jest. Your path will not always be easy, young Magnolia, I hope you don't forget the tools available to you, and the friends, the allies you already have made along the way. They will need your cheer and your energy."

The Halfling woman gently patted Magnolia's face, "And of course, they all need more practice in checkers!" With a laugh the dream faded, Magnolia waking in her bed to see Ander across the room in his own bed, seeming to be busy with his own dreams ...

Ander:

The past week or so since the Thief's cave, strange sensations and desires have plagued Ander, but the poor Paladin had his eyes set on something far more important: helping deal with Porthca's threat from the Sea, then it was compounded by what he had found and learned about those he used to live with -- the holy symbol of an old friend, then later finding an old friend, manacled and chained by cruel magics. His hair had been growing out far thicker than he could tend to manage each day, his tongue had begun to ache from the amount of times he had accidentally bitten down on it, finding when thinking back ... his teeth had been slowly shifting, rearranging slightly within his jaw, canines growing sharper and the teeth around them sharpening to match. In the face of everything else, it's just been something to add to the pile, to be dealt with later. Always later. Others had more pressing concerns.

Yet it is now, in the pseudo-peace between tasks, that things appear to have come to Ander himself, especially when the night before he realized his eyes could find focus in the dark, and when he opened his senses in an attempt to be assured of Lestone's state and instead found the strong scent of a storm filling his nose, giving him the feeling of an elemental. Never before had his ability to spread his awareness been able to give such a result, but not much had been usual for the paladin lately.

Within his dream he sees himself on the island of Lokil as it used to be before the large-scale bandit attack, the population satisfied for the most part with their island lives, the sun rising across the water as morning rituals and habits begin again. A man sits off to the side, watching everyone, yet his details are difficult to make out. Every time Ander attempts to look his direction, he feels compelled to look elsewhere, and at the same time feels a desire to sit next to the strange person. As he begins to move, a panic spreads through him -- why is he on all fours? He began to walk forward, but an instinct caused him to raise an arm -- no, it's a foreleg? -- as he stepped forward -- suddenly his balance is lost, he has no idea how to walk and Ander flails in fear -- what has happened? Attempting a plea for help, instead from his throat comes a low roar and rumble, a few people glance over and seeing the lion begin to scatter, afraid of the creature. Except the man doesn't rise, he merely sits and watches the dawn, a sun that doesn't move across the water.

His voice is peaceful as he speaks: "Be calm, Ander of the Morning Sun. Ease yourself and work through it, one thing at a time. Every journey, every challenge, and every obstacle must be overcome with the first step, for that is the greatest difficulty of all." The lion Ander appears to calm and slowly begins to roll over onto his paws, wobbly, but standing. Taking a hesitant step, balance slowly returns and he soon finds he can take multiple steps easily, even trotting here and there, mane flowing in the wind and tail sweeping happily behind him. The man on the bench chuckles at the happy creature, "Once upon a time, so very long ago, there was another god that existed. Their creature was the lion, favored for bravery and dedication to their pride -- their fellow lions. Devotion -- that was their creed, to care for those under their care, and wished their followers to do the same." The man seemed to smile towards the lion, "It seems, young Ander, you have stumbled across some of the items they deemed holy, what was once used in their rituals to become their god's champion." Patting the beast's head gently, he continued, "If you truly wish to be rid of what some might consider a curse, it is easily done. However, I merely wished to give some ... guidance perhaps, for the newest step in your life, for better or worse."

The man turned away from the paladin for a moment and Ander found himself seated on the ground within his armor, but fur still covered his body, a muzzle stretched out from his face and ears flicked this way and that. His nails had become claws and a strength flowed through him. "Something to consider, young Ander, and hopefully to give you some peace of mind, if that's possible in this world." He spread his arms and the sun slowly began to rise once more, "My island will heal and will enjoy a new beginning. I look forward to that day, Ander of the Morning Sun."

Ander woke in his bed within the room he shared with Magnolia, his features more feline than they had been before, a faint layer of fur covered his form and visible skin, slowly fading as he became more awake ...

Valerie:

Last night was a whirlwind of thoughts regarding the ring the young warlock had been given by her grandfather without any insight into what it was beyond some sort of magical trinket, allowing her to cast magic and create weapons and objects from salt. Yet now, Valerie was all too aware there was something more to it -- between the identification Eliza had done and the ring's own demands and methods, she definitely knew it was more than just a magical trinket.

Her sleep, normally dreamless or merely a meshing of various thoughts and ideas left wandering by the time rest arrives, finds the young warlock in what looks to be a castle created by clouds, deep, dark and stormy. Thunder echoes around her, flashes of lightning illuminate the place, giving sight to details of the structure. Blinking, Valerie finds herself elsewhere, in what looks to be a throne room -- old memories of noble lessons begin to come to mind but a voice speaks with a faint chuckle, "You do not need to curtsy, Valerie." Turning to look at the voice, there's a woman seated whose form is made of thick dark clouds, features visible in the edges of each cloud, eyes a constant ball of sparks, and hair a soft fog that slowly spreads away through the air. White pleasant clouds make up a long flowing robe that spreads away from the seated figure that watches Valerie for any hint of a reaction before dipping her head briefly.

"I apologize for the struggles I have given you, Valerie Rhiteghast, but I was ... asleep I suppose for a long time, and only awoke in a sense when I felt the presence of Lestone on the Material Plane once more. I have many Children, but I had thought him dead for many years, to feel him return was too strange and unsettling." Her expression darkened, a few streaks of lightning moved across her form, "Then to find a child like the Sea was using him as a toy ..." the castle shook from the thunder that rumbled outside, "I was not pleased." Taking a moment she continued, "Controlling you earlier ... took much of my energy that I had built up, but I am thankful I was allowed to see him, to touch him and to speak with him, even if it was only for a few moments. Unfortunately, I still cannot even maintain this very long ..." the cloud-castle begin to fall apart, "... but know I am with you." The Tempest gave Valerie a smile as the dream faded, leaving her waking in her room, with Lestone propped against the back wall on his bed, lounging while he seemed to send a small bolt of lightning back and forth between his hands.

He glanced over towards Valerie, noticing she seemed awake and spoke, his voice less painful sounding, "Which question would you like to begin with?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor:

Sleeping in the comfort of soft bed, Eliza eventually awakes, hearing faint noises and chatter of a home that's begun their morning routine. A servent delicately knocks on the door, informing the half-orc that breakfast has been served: at the request of the Twins, the chefs attempted to create something called "pan-cakes and waffles", with fruit, honey, and maple syrup on offer, along with more typical breakfast items like ham, sausage, bacon and eggs.

If Eliza heads downstairs, she finds the De'Porthca family in what appears to be higher spirits, Anthol at the head of the table, though he still looks more tired than she remembers, with Sidwae to his side, her hand on his as they eat. Robern still claims a seat next to his mother while Joan sits next to Ben who wears a faint smile at seeing the sticky mess Robern is slowly working himself into, and helping to tie back Joan's hair from catching in the syrup her plate is coated in. Noticing Eliza, Ben motions for her to join them at the table, gesturing to a plate at the table set and waiting. "Morning Lizzy," he calls as he works through what looks to be a pan-cake. "This is a new food that came from the south, heard a few at the docks talk about it, and we managed to convince the chefs it wasn't a trick. It's not too bad, I suggest some syrup and a little bit of butter, maybe some fruit depending on what you like."

The twins waved to the wizard while Sidwae and Anthol gave her a nod of recognition, Anthol speaking up, "It's a pleasure to meet you again, Eliza. We heard you both got back quite late, but at the same time, returned with good news. About ... Cyne especially, from what Ben mentioned."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Defallian Manor:

Leaving with the dawn, Banrigg had first made a point of offering to cover breakfast for the group he'd come in with, then pausing for a moment, also put a few platinum down to cover breakfast and drinks for incoming sailors to the surprise of the Tuckered Kraken's owner, asking as well to deliver a short message to them when they came to the front. Packing his things, the dwarf crossed the morning streets headed towards the Defallian Manor -- towards the Lord that had hired him to aid with the Pearl and inform him unfortunately Banrigg couldn't stay within his employment for long.

Knocking on the large door, he finds it opened by the strange living shrub that seemed to wander the house and is guided in. Glancing off to the side he sees most of the family having their breakfast, a faint discussion of the expected weather and effects of such on crops can be heard, but he quickly continues onwards to the study where the rustling of living leaves is headed. Froot opens the door for Banrigg and he steps in, ready to begin his explanation to the Lord, even offering to return the gold he was given as an early payment when the dwarf pauses, realizing that Richeye Defallian already had a guest, however his hand goes to his weapon as his reaction first is towards the grey-furred panther that seems to be sitting just inside the door, watching him as its tail slowly sweeps back and forth.

A small figure stands before Richeye, standing on a chair to more easily see over the desk -- they had arrived early in the morning, drawn by information the Defallians of Porthca were leading raids against bandits that plagued the Sinking Plains. It had been a long journey from the mountains they more typically called home, and the chill of the north at times was a struggle, but their gear was modified and adjusted to deal with such troubles.

Richeye glanced around his first guest to see the second, "Oh -- I guess Froot forgot I was in a meeting ... although this may end up working out well, I didn't know your group had returned already, Banrigg, right?" The human man rubbed his eyes, evidently he still hadn't gotten much sleep, "Banrigg, this is Terminus -- a visitor hoping to aid in any assaults against the bandit groups around here."

Banrigg dipped his head for a moment, "Aye, we returned yesterday evenin', and ah ... dealt w'many things, but I think it best if Lord Benito tell ya th'details about all that." He scratched his chin, "Or maybe onna th' magicky types, think they understood more'n I did." Stepping forward he approached the desk, keeping a wary eye on the panther, but also curious to see more details of the newcomer, surprised to find them with scales and focused reptilian eyes. Turning his gaze back towards Richeye he continued, "Unfortunately, I don't think I can stay in yer service -- I even brought th' twenty-gold ya paid me already, since I didn't do ver' much at th' end of it all." Reaching into a pouch he pulled out the coin, only for Richeye to hold a hand out, shaking his head.

"No -- you still went out with them and did a service for me, the gold is yours. Use it well is all I ask, or pass it on to those who need it." The noble smiled at Banrigg before turning back to Terminus, "As you can see, you wouldn't be the first I've hired to help curb the attacks and raids around here, but hopefully you will be one of the last. Do you have any questions?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Church of the Crying God:

While in the back of her mind Virra could hear the sounds of Ilmater's priests waking and beginning their morning routine, something else was keeping her focus -- her mind seemed to still hold a faint connection to her fellow Mystic, even as he was hundreds of miles away, giving her a glimpse of Niradnam in his human disguise surrounded by maps and charts, Egnaro sprawled across various books and the dark eggshell of his Wyvern surrounded by a thick blanket off to the side, away from the edge of the table. The scholar seemed to be muttering something to himself before pausing and glancing around like he was being watched -- for a half second looking in Virra's direction before the dream faded and the gnome was wakened fully.

Tyrius was also awakened by the sounds of the clerics chatter as they started their morning, the smell of a simple but hearty breakfast wafting through the air. One of the younger acolytes, the boy named Haeden, entered into the room the pair were in to retrieve something and noted they were awake, "Oh -- good. Breakfast is on offer downstairs, we're doing our daily service to aid those who cannot afford food themselves. You're welcome to have some as well, or if you'd like you can help with serving and collecting plates." Digging through a chest he seemed to find what he was after and returned downstairs, leaving the pair to decide their next step.

Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Porthca:
  • Evening of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca:

Splitting from Catelyn and leaving her to her fate with the Council, the group did a little more shopping, eventually ending their day at the Scarlet Jester, a place some of them had been before as a treat from Lord Benito, a celebration of coincidences bringing friends together, both new and old.

This time the purpose seems to be to take a moment to enjoy the work the group has accomplished over the past few weeks and especially last night. Lestone samples anything offered to him, almost on the edge of weeping at every bite from the quality and not having eaten for so long. Eventually the night draws on, the elemental eating quite a fair amount especially, and appears quite drowsy between the meal and drinks, with Valerie paying for the group's dinner. Heading back to the Tuckered Kraken Cabin, everyone gathers into their rooms once more, though some still have things on their minds. Magnolia runs off to purchase some last minute pies for snacks, Ander takes some time in the privacy of his room to try and gain practice with his new abilities, and Valerie receives a Message in her mind. The voice is familiar as it is Master Enol, delivering on his promise: "I made good progress, however to be finished, it will take another two days. I can attempt to deliver it, or keep it here. Either way."

--------------------------------------

Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Porthca:

Gathering once more for morning breakfast, the plan is discussed once more: to head towards Chilldrift as quickly as possible in hopes of helping Eliza's parents. The pair of Azarad students discuss the teleportation circles in place at the university, offering quick travel between the two, likely the fastest method of travel beyond Lestone's offer of wind flight.

Heading once more to an Accmour house, Master Enol is requested and the group's request explained. Though he seems to sigh a little bit, he eventually agrees, leading the group to an area where the the floor was broken up into rings, each revolving on their own. Watching some of them shift into place, the archmage explained depending on the alignment, they would match to different places, however he did not have one for Chilldrift directly for it was not a place he often traveled or had need of. All the same, Azarad was definitely one he had prepared.

Briefly explaining the spell, and the fact everyone needed to be within the circle, Enol began casting the spell, the runes lighting up as he went, slowly filling the stone flooring until suddenly everyone within the circle felt a sudden jolt in their chests, as if being punched in the gut and thrown backwards, yet not moving at the same time, feet stuck to the floor like an anchor.

Then suddenly ... everything is fine once more.

Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad:

Rinmerrion had started her visit to Azarad in a pleasant way -- here to discuss theories and ideas with fresh minds while working on her book. Perhaps leave a few of her signature flowers hidden among the leaves, small remnants of her visit, especially with how Azarad had been tied in its own way to her life. For the most part she had been free to wander the grounds, given at most a guide to make sure she wasn't lost in the many demiplanes that held the campus together, doors leading into doors of more doors and so on.

However, only a few days ago, that had changed. Her young student guide had been swapped out, instead leaving her with a shorter young man, his brown hair had strange white tints at the ends, eyes seemed layered with lilac under the green, and his skin was an interesting tan color. Around his feet was nearly always a black cat that answered to Egnaro, and on his hip a modified pouch that housed a dark-colored egg. He didn't entirely seem pleased with his new duties as much as Rin seemed keen to wriggle out of his sight, her gnomic nature still making her bold even with centuries under her belt.

Giving his name as Niradnam, he had been rather tight-lipped about why she was being guarded so much, why it seemed everyone was on edge, and especially why she wasn't being allowed to leave, only informing her that it was for her safety.

This morning he waits outside her room, knocking gently on the door as an invisible servant carries a tray behind him -- a steaming kettle for tea, and a simple breakfast, suiting the preferences she had made clear over the past few days.

Elsewhere in Azarad:

Everything is fine once more -- until awareness finally follows through the line of teleportation, the air practically humming with magic, almost seeming excited by the large burst of power that a teleportation circle requires. Opening their respective eyes, the group sees what looks like, to the prior students, to be professors, one of them with a chisel preparing to mark out a section of the circle you've all just transported to.

One of them finally speaks, a human woman, hair tied back into a braid and looks to be in her forties, her visible pin shines with conjuration and divination, "And just who are you all? How did you get to this circle?" She glares at the one with the chisel, "This is why I said we should have done this sooner! Who knows how many others have used these circles one way or the other?"

Noon of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad
  • Noon of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad | Office:

As Valerie stood, the Bursar did as well, dipping his head slowly to the noble, "Of course. Should you wish to take part in your own studies, and have the funds, you are welcome here always."

Once she began to walk away again he sat down to resume his work, the door closing behind Valerie and Lestone as they exited. The Maestro woman was on the sofa by herself, Niradnam apparently having left. Seeing Valerie's face she jumped to her feet and approached, "Oh dear! Waz the Burzar that cruel to you? Do I need to teach him a lezzon on howa to zpeak with young ladiez?"

Noon of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad | Balcony:

Niradnam circled the stone-form of Tyrius a few times, "Still ... if we want to keep moving we may need to undo this sooner than it'll expire on its own. I believe ... 'Greater Restoration' can negate effects like this?"

With a sigh he joined the pair on the grass, Egnaro trotting over to crawl into his lap. "The plants were actually helpful then? Anything we can use going forward?"

Noon of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad:

Virra, Ander, Magnolia, Terminus and Abrahms left Three Stripe's humble home, he and the kittens standing at the doorway to wave them off. Working their way back to the main streets of Azarad, the next step of their journey began: trying to find The Antique Song -- from what the tabaxi had said it would be a hard to miss place, even amongst Azarad where things seemed to be grander just because they could be. Circling around the Gate a few times, the group eventually saw the surprisingly modest sign: a single music note, the wood worn and ragged from time.

The outside of the store didn't seem to read that it was a shop of magical items, instead looking like someone's home. Some doubt likely flickered between the group -- had Three Stripe led them astray? However as they hovered near, a few people wandered in, allowing a glimpse behind the door and a glimpse at the many many items that were visible.

Stepping into the building, it felt like stepping through into another dimension -- it seemed far larger on the inside than the outside led one to believe, and the shelves, aisles, walls were all covered in magical components, rings, necklaces, weapons, armor, potions -- if there was even a minor charm on it, it was here. Behind the counter at the back of the first room, for the store actually spread out to the sides, a strange mismatch between the outside that appeared to go up instead, was a male goliath, currently speaking with a customer. They appeared to be haggling over the price and value of an amulet, but before the group could approach, someone else stepped in their path: a half-orc male, dressed similar to the goliath in terms of style, but the fabrics were much cheaper.

"Greetings!" he began, bowing to the small group, "Welcome to the Antique Song, a proud supplier of magical goods to the peoples and students of Azarad for many decades! Our standards are the highest they can be, making sure that you never have to doubt any of the components or items you purchase for peace of mind during adventuring or spellcasting! Name's Zurusk, how can I help you all today? We've got some nice items in recently, or if you'd like to sell some, we also do that."

Status
    Not open for further replies.