Porthca Landing III: Burned Bridges & Broken Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca

Abrahms

One Thousand Club
Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern:

Those within the tavern slept on their beds, perhaps some measure of relief from everything that had happened and was dealt with, a chapter closing behind them in their more recent adventures. However, they all understood ... things were far from over -- infact things had already started, and they weren't even awake yet.

Magnolia:

Sleep has taken the halfling and brought her home ... the familiar lands of Negrastir, the small roads and ornate architecture she grew up around, even if at times it represented an Empire she was not fond of, it's hard to deny the nostalgia she felt at seeing the buildings once more. Homes she remembered playing around, eating in, or lounging within when the humid summers swept through, waiting eagerly for the strong rains to work their way down the coast and relieve the heat.

She found herself able to step around this memory of her old village, though it appears to be a ghost town, things left as if someone was whisked away in a moment, the more she looked the more she saw tools dropped as if in the middle of work, meals set out at tables but ignored, tasks left half-finished. However the more she walked the more she slowly heard someone moving around, and turning a corner she foundd another halfling, but there's something ... awe-inspiring about her. There's almost an aura of peace and happiness to the woman, and her form has no flaw, her clothing looks comfortable yet practical at the same time, and on her hip rests a goathorn, held by a simple leather strap.

She hums as she collects things, putting away tools and materials, speaking out loud, "I assume you're going to help? It's unfortunate what has happened here, truly unfortunate." The woman sighed before looking towards Magnolia, strangely difficult for her to look at, almost like staring into the sun or a bonfire, but the halfling smiled and the pain weakened. "Apologies -- that should be better, yes?" Approaching Magnolia she handed over the tools and items she'd collected: a pair of shortswords, a boot with the sole burned, a fence gate, a blossoming flower, and a dog's collar. Patting Magnolia's hand she smiled, "Never forget, I am with all my Children, and my Children are always watching over their children." Chuckling slightly, "It's children all the way down -- but I jest. Your path will not always be easy, young Magnolia, I hope you don't forget the tools available to you, and the friends, the allies you already have made along the way. They will need your cheer and your energy."

The Halfling woman gently patted Magnolia's face, "And of course, they all need more practice in checkers!" With a laugh the dream faded, Magnolia waking in her bed to see Ander across the room in his own bed, seeming to be busy with his own dreams ...

Ander:

The past week or so since the Thief's cave, strange sensations and desires have plagued Ander, but the poor Paladin had his eyes set on something far more important: helping deal with Porthca's threat from the Sea, then it was compounded by what he had found and learned about those he used to live with -- the holy symbol of an old friend, then later finding an old friend, manacled and chained by cruel magics. His hair had been growing out far thicker than he could tend to manage each day, his tongue had begun to ache from the amount of times he had accidentally bitten down on it, finding when thinking back ... his teeth had been slowly shifting, rearranging slightly within his jaw, canines growing sharper and the teeth around them sharpening to match. In the face of everything else, it's just been something to add to the pile, to be dealt with later. Always later. Others had more pressing concerns.

Yet it is now, in the pseudo-peace between tasks, that things appear to have come to Ander himself, especially when the night before he realized his eyes could find focus in the dark, and when he opened his senses in an attempt to be assured of Lestone's state and instead found the strong scent of a storm filling his nose, giving him the feeling of an elemental. Never before had his ability to spread his awareness been able to give such a result, but not much had been usual for the paladin lately.

Within his dream he sees himself on the island of Lokil as it used to be before the large-scale bandit attack, the population satisfied for the most part with their island lives, the sun rising across the water as morning rituals and habits begin again. A man sits off to the side, watching everyone, yet his details are difficult to make out. Every time Ander attempts to look his direction, he feels compelled to look elsewhere, and at the same time feels a desire to sit next to the strange person. As he begins to move, a panic spreads through him -- why is he on all fours? He began to walk forward, but an instinct caused him to raise an arm -- no, it's a foreleg? -- as he stepped forward -- suddenly his balance is lost, he has no idea how to walk and Ander flails in fear -- what has happened? Attempting a plea for help, instead from his throat comes a low roar and rumble, a few people glance over and seeing the lion begin to scatter, afraid of the creature. Except the man doesn't rise, he merely sits and watches the dawn, a sun that doesn't move across the water.

His voice is peaceful as he speaks: "Be calm, Ander of the Morning Sun. Ease yourself and work through it, one thing at a time. Every journey, every challenge, and every obstacle must be overcome with the first step, for that is the greatest difficulty of all." The lion Ander appears to calm and slowly begins to roll over onto his paws, wobbly, but standing. Taking a hesitant step, balance slowly returns and he soon finds he can take multiple steps easily, even trotting here and there, mane flowing in the wind and tail sweeping happily behind him. The man on the bench chuckles at the happy creature, "Once upon a time, so very long ago, there was another god that existed. Their creature was the lion, favored for bravery and dedication to their pride -- their fellow lions. Devotion -- that was their creed, to care for those under their care, and wished their followers to do the same." The man seemed to smile towards the lion, "It seems, young Ander, you have stumbled across some of the items they deemed holy, what was once used in their rituals to become their god's champion." Patting the beast's head gently, he continued, "If you truly wish to be rid of what some might consider a curse, it is easily done. However, I merely wished to give some ... guidance perhaps, for the newest step in your life, for better or worse."

The man turned away from the paladin for a moment and Ander found himself seated on the ground within his armor, but fur still covered his body, a muzzle stretched out from his face and ears flicked this way and that. His nails had become claws and a strength flowed through him. "Something to consider, young Ander, and hopefully to give you some peace of mind, if that's possible in this world." He spread his arms and the sun slowly began to rise once more, "My island will heal and will enjoy a new beginning. I look forward to that day, Ander of the Morning Sun."

Ander woke in his bed within the room he shared with Magnolia, his features more feline than they had been before, a faint layer of fur covered his form and visible skin, slowly fading as he became more awake ...

Valerie:

Last night was a whirlwind of thoughts regarding the ring the young warlock had been given by her grandfather without any insight into what it was beyond some sort of magical trinket, allowing her to cast magic and create weapons and objects from salt. Yet now, Valerie was all too aware there was something more to it -- between the identification Eliza had done and the ring's own demands and methods, she definitely knew it was more than just a magical trinket.

Her sleep, normally dreamless or merely a meshing of various thoughts and ideas left wandering by the time rest arrives, finds the young warlock in what looks to be a castle created by clouds, deep, dark and stormy. Thunder echoes around her, flashes of lightning illuminate the place, giving sight to details of the structure. Blinking, Valerie finds herself elsewhere, in what looks to be a throne room -- old memories of noble lessons begin to come to mind but a voice speaks with a faint chuckle, "You do not need to curtsy, Valerie." Turning to look at the voice, there's a woman seated whose form is made of thick dark clouds, features visible in the edges of each cloud, eyes a constant ball of sparks, and hair a soft fog that slowly spreads away through the air. White pleasant clouds make up a long flowing robe that spreads away from the seated figure that watches Valerie for any hint of a reaction before dipping her head briefly.

"I apologize for the struggles I have given you, Valerie Rhiteghast, but I was ... asleep I suppose for a long time, and only awoke in a sense when I felt the presence of Lestone on the Material Plane once more. I have many Children, but I had thought him dead for many years, to feel him return was too strange and unsettling." Her expression darkened, a few streaks of lightning moved across her form, "Then to find a child like the Sea was using him as a toy ..." the castle shook from the thunder that rumbled outside, "I was not pleased." Taking a moment she continued, "Controlling you earlier ... took much of my energy that I had built up, but I am thankful I was allowed to see him, to touch him and to speak with him, even if it was only for a few moments. Unfortunately, I still cannot even maintain this very long ..." the cloud-castle begin to fall apart, "... but know I am with you." The Tempest gave Valerie a smile as the dream faded, leaving her waking in her room, with Lestone propped against the back wall on his bed, lounging while he seemed to send a small bolt of lightning back and forth between his hands.

He glanced over towards Valerie, noticing she seemed awake and spoke, his voice less painful sounding, "Which question would you like to begin with?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor:

Sleeping in the comfort of soft bed, Eliza eventually awakes, hearing faint noises and chatter of a home that's begun their morning routine. A servent delicately knocks on the door, informing the half-orc that breakfast has been served: at the request of the Twins, the chefs attempted to create something called "pan-cakes and waffles", with fruit, honey, and maple syrup on offer, along with more typical breakfast items like ham, sausage, bacon and eggs.

If Eliza heads downstairs, she finds the De'Porthca family in what appears to be higher spirits, Anthol at the head of the table, though he still looks more tired than she remembers, with Sidwae to his side, her hand on his as they eat. Robern still claims a seat next to his mother while Joan sits next to Ben who wears a faint smile at seeing the sticky mess Robern is slowly working himself into, and helping to tie back Joan's hair from catching in the syrup her plate is coated in. Noticing Eliza, Ben motions for her to join them at the table, gesturing to a plate at the table set and waiting. "Morning Lizzy," he calls as he works through what looks to be a pan-cake. "This is a new food that came from the south, heard a few at the docks talk about it, and we managed to convince the chefs it wasn't a trick. It's not too bad, I suggest some syrup and a little bit of butter, maybe some fruit depending on what you like."

The twins waved to the wizard while Sidwae and Anthol gave her a nod of recognition, Anthol speaking up, "It's a pleasure to meet you again, Eliza. We heard you both got back quite late, but at the same time, returned with good news. About ... Cyne especially, from what Ben mentioned."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Defallian Manor:

Leaving with the dawn, Banrigg had first made a point of offering to cover breakfast for the group he'd come in with, then pausing for a moment, also put a few platinum down to cover breakfast and drinks for incoming sailors to the surprise of the Tuckered Kraken's owner, asking as well to deliver a short message to them when they came to the front. Packing his things, the dwarf crossed the morning streets headed towards the Defallian Manor -- towards the Lord that had hired him to aid with the Pearl and inform him unfortunately Banrigg couldn't stay within his employment for long.

Knocking on the large door, he finds it opened by the strange living shrub that seemed to wander the house and is guided in. Glancing off to the side he sees most of the family having their breakfast, a faint discussion of the expected weather and effects of such on crops can be heard, but he quickly continues onwards to the study where the rustling of living leaves is headed. Froot opens the door for Banrigg and he steps in, ready to begin his explanation to the Lord, even offering to return the gold he was given as an early payment when the dwarf pauses, realizing that Richeye Defallian already had a guest, however his hand goes to his weapon as his reaction first is towards the grey-furred panther that seems to be sitting just inside the door, watching him as its tail slowly sweeps back and forth.

A small figure stands before Richeye, standing on a chair to more easily see over the desk -- they had arrived early in the morning, drawn by information the Defallians of Porthca were leading raids against bandits that plagued the Sinking Plains. It had been a long journey from the mountains they more typically called home, and the chill of the north at times was a struggle, but their gear was modified and adjusted to deal with such troubles.

Richeye glanced around his first guest to see the second, "Oh -- I guess Froot forgot I was in a meeting ... although this may end up working out well, I didn't know your group had returned already, Banrigg, right?" The human man rubbed his eyes, evidently he still hadn't gotten much sleep, "Banrigg, this is Terminus -- a visitor hoping to aid in any assaults against the bandit groups around here."

Banrigg dipped his head for a moment, "Aye, we returned yesterday evenin', and ah ... dealt w'many things, but I think it best if Lord Benito tell ya th'details about all that." He scratched his chin, "Or maybe onna th' magicky types, think they understood more'n I did." Stepping forward he approached the desk, keeping a wary eye on the panther, but also curious to see more details of the newcomer, surprised to find them with scales and focused reptilian eyes. Turning his gaze back towards Richeye he continued, "Unfortunately, I don't think I can stay in yer service -- I even brought th' twenty-gold ya paid me already, since I didn't do ver' much at th' end of it all." Reaching into a pouch he pulled out the coin, only for Richeye to hold a hand out, shaking his head.

"No -- you still went out with them and did a service for me, the gold is yours. Use it well is all I ask, or pass it on to those who need it." The noble smiled at Banrigg before turning back to Terminus, "As you can see, you wouldn't be the first I've hired to help curb the attacks and raids around here, but hopefully you will be one of the last. Do you have any questions?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Church of the Crying God:

While in the back of her mind Virra could hear the sounds of Ilmater's priests waking and beginning their morning routine, something else was keeping her focus -- her mind seemed to still hold a faint connection to her fellow Mystic, even as he was hundreds of miles away, giving her a glimpse of Niradnam in his human disguise surrounded by maps and charts, Egnaro sprawled across various books and the dark eggshell of his Wyvern surrounded by a thick blanket off to the side, away from the edge of the table. The scholar seemed to be muttering something to himself before pausing and glancing around like he was being watched -- for a half second looking in Virra's direction before the dream faded and the gnome was wakened fully.

Tyrius was also awakened by the sounds of the clerics chatter as they started their morning, the smell of a simple but hearty breakfast wafting through the air. One of the younger acolytes, the boy named Haeden, entered into the room the pair were in to retrieve something and noted they were awake, "Oh -- good. Breakfast is on offer downstairs, we're doing our daily service to aid those who cannot afford food themselves. You're welcome to have some as well, or if you'd like you can help with serving and collecting plates." Digging through a chest he seemed to find what he was after and returned downstairs, leaving the pair to decide their next step.

Her face tugged into a smile, whenever she felt lost Yondalla was there. Even when she wore the manacles that destroyed part of her mind; when she had been forced to fight those that were once her friends; when she had killed... him... She had been there. Those moments when part of her screamed for tears, yet magics prevented them.

It had been almost a year since her hand was forced to do that terrible deed. The small grace was the bag over her brother's head, she didn't have to look him in the eyes when the master's had commanded her to take his head.
Responsibility had fallen on her, they were trying to liberate her and the other slaves from the pens. The master's never set a watch, only commanded a slave to yell if someone approached... That's what happened, how they were caught...

It's also what saved her. The moment that broke her heart broke her chains as well. She had become a vessel unto her god,dive wrath flowed through her shattering the manacles. Then she ran.

Silent tears flowed down her face as she sat staring at Anders lionien appearance. He was a fellow tortured soul who had faith to sustain him. With his crazed hair he almost looked like Meric... If he wasn't four times his size... And currently looking like a cat...

"Umh Ander, did you forget to shave or something?"

Last edited:
Eliza cherished the extra time she finally had for herself and took her time getting a bath and carefully picking out her clothes, preparing for meeting the important and self-important people of Porthca. She wore her robe, smoothening its wrinkles with a faint sweep of her wand, but chose to carry around her folded cloak in her bag instead. With a final brush of Faust's tiny whiskers and one last check up of her wyvern egg, she followed one of the servants down for breakfast, preparing herself for this new challenge ahead of her.

"Good morning." Eliza sat on the offered chair, not bothering to try and curtsy this time. "There is definitely a lot to discuss, hopefully after breakfast if possible." The half-orc gratefully accepted the served pancakes and covered it with slices of strawberry, "It was...an unusual night to be sure, but I hope you would find the results satisfactory." She decided this new delicacy required all her attention and studiously avoided Ben's gaze.

Valerie awoke from her strangely real dream feeling an unusual sense of comfort and surety in herself, despite the exhaustion that accompanied it. It was so strange to feel so free and so certain of her actions when all of her life she had been taught to do as she was bidden and watch from the sidelines. She had a sudden realization. My actions yesterday have changed the course of this entire city for at the very least the next half century... I hope that it is for the better...

Finally gaining the energy to begin to clear the salt from her eyes, which seemed to be a more difficult task than usual this morning, Valerie sat up bleary eyed in bed before jumping at the sudden voice and clutching her blankets over her bedclothes. After everything that had happened, the young warlock failed to remember the fact that she had wound up sharing her room last night with the questionably murderous former aquatic zombie child of the god-like being that resided within her ring.

Blushing furiously at her reaction, Valerie quickly apologized. “I am so terribly sorry, it was an eventful night last night... but I am certain you already know that.” She paused for a moment, growing slightly less tense and a little more curious before she asked hesitantly. “Apologies if this comes off as rude, but... should you not be dead? Most men do not live several centuries...”

Having collapsed the night before on the cot that Cate had offered him, Tyrius opened one bleary eye as he heard the sounds of breakfast being dished up. 'Glad I got a good sleep after last night,' thought Tyrius, a little regretful that he'd had to abandon his dragonborn form so soon. Looking over Bookwyrm, Tyrius could tell that the shell was getting close to hatching, a few small marks that looked like one good push from within would break the shell. 'Soon, Bookwyrm,' smiled Tyrius, gently rubbing the surface of the eggshell that was not covered by the bag that Tyrius had chosen to keep the wyvern egg inside of.

"Can I do both?" asked Tyrius as he got out of bed and made sure that he had everything on him. He fancied breakfast and he felt as if after the position they'd put Cate in with The Sea that helping around the temple with cleaning up after breakfast was the least he could do.

"How're you feeling?" asked Tyrius, wondering what Virra made of what happened the night before after the benefit of a long rest. Tyrius glanced over his journal, on the last page in large letters was written the final contract between Porthca and The Sea. 'This - is a lot,' thought Tyrius, though he wasn't having second thoughts so much as recognising the enormity of what they had accomplished. 'Wonder how Benito has been this morning.' thought Tyrius as he headed downstairs, intending to have the bare minimum of a proper breakfast, just some toast and a coffee. 'I hope he isn't too aggreved by what happened last night, hopefully with a rest he's realised that what happened worked out for the best. If issues come up, they can be noted for the renegotiation. It's not a final always and forever.'

"Morning!" said Tyrius as he walked into where people were having breakfast.

The grey-furred panther's ears start to fold back, a low growl starts as the dwarf goes for his weapon. The dwarf sees a small wrapped hand come out and shake in a "It is ok" way toward the panther.

Seeing this, the growl stopped, ears popped back forward, and it went back to looking around, with an eye on the dwarf.

"I sssee.", the small figure turning toward the dwarf, "The banditsss that you have found, did they have any markingsss on their armsss?"

Lestone offered a faint smirk at Valerie's reaction before turning back to his small game of tossing lightning. "I thought I was dead, for awhile. But if I was truly dead, I would have ... dissipated. Not left behind a corpse, merely returned to what creates my form: the air. Obviously that implies I am not like most men -- I already had a few centuries under my belt before the Porthca mess ..." he frowned for a moment. "Such an idiot ... and then to find out they forgot about me, that wasn't really a great thing to return to. Helped establish this place and what do I get? Not even a dock in my name."

He shook his head, "Regardless, the Sea managed to turn me into a thrall of sorts -- not too unlike the dead that fall into her waters but anger keeps them ... 'alive'," he made air quotes around the word. "Since I wasn't like the others and hadn't died, I was stuck more aware than I think she expected but ultimately to her delight."

Ben seemed to busy himself with his breakfast while Eliza spoke and Anthol looked between the two. Glancing at the twins for a moment he spoke up, "We've only heard what was more ... directly personal, concerning what happened at the funeral a few weeks back. Ben hinted there might be more, and," he glanced at Sidwae for a moment, "something important happened last night that affects all of us."

Haeden nodded at Ty's question as he had gone back down to the rest of the temple. Following the boy down into the main room, it was a flurry of activity and chatter, the acolytes and clerics working to hand out meals, plates, and crude utensils to the masses, ranging from elderly to children, and some inbetween but worn down and wearing rags. All were treated equally and even those who grumbled about having to take charity merely received a smile in return. A few of those being served glanced up in surprise at Tyrius' apparent energy, the priests of Ilmater calling out a "Morning!" in return as they went, managing a few bites of their own breakfast here and there. Cate smiled at the arrival of Tyrius, instructing him on where to stand in the serving line and began, "You and Virra started to tell me about something this morning, but unfortunately I think it was a little too much for me to handle at that time. I believe myself to be in a better position to listen now, if you still wish to tell me?"

Banrigg scratched his chin again, thinking back, "Eh ... I think a few had some, yeah. A ring o' daggers, coins, and chains." He eyed the small lizard, "I take it ya already know somethin' about that?"

Richeye spoke up with a sigh, "Unfortunately that seems to be the main group around here in the Sinking Plains ... how many did you run into?"

The dwarf leaned on his maul, "There was a decent size bunch that tried ta take us while we slept, but we were too alert for 'em, not too much trouble, nah. Then later, there were some orcs -- had a lady in chains, seem t'be healin' 'em, and they were awful keen not t'let her get taken from 'em. We managed t'rescue 'er and she's restin' up in Wyford now, with ah ... Tyrius' family, th' Siverbanes I think they were." He nodded, a sad expression, "Fer better or worse, I think Ander, the tall bugger, knew her."

Turning to Richeye, "Thossse are the onesss I ssseek. I trussst they are the onesss you want gone?"

Turning back to the dwarf, "I trussst the orcsss are dead, yesss? Were there other captivesss with them? Isss there a way to ssspeak to her, or thisss Ander? I mussst know if ssshe sssaw onesss from the village."

“Something like that,” Eliza agreed, ”It is a lengthy discussion that I think would be affecting the whole of Porthca...for the better, hopefully.” Eliza blushed trying to emulate Val’s confidence. She did not feel prepared to face Porthca’s nobles and try to sell them on the contract alone, especially not Ben.

She resisted the urge to melt further down in her chair, keeping her back rod straight and busied herself with her second cup of coffee. She smiled at the kids then remembered her tusks and awkwardly looked away digging through her stuff for the children’s book she bought at Wyford instead. “I got you a present on my travels,“ she told the pair as she used mage hand to float the book over to Joanne, “I hope you like it.”

Still holding her blankets around her in one hand, Valerie adjusted the golden laurel crown on her head with the other as she listened to Lestone talk with mounting interest, her eyes drawn to each spark between his fingers. “So you are not a human then? Certainly not an elf, though, I have met enough of them to tell the difference...” She paused, remembering the creature from the cave that her friends referred to as ‘Clingy’. She switched to primordial. “You are a variety of elemental though, correct? I have heard of some that appeared to be more human like, but I did not know they were so similar.” She then paused for a moment, her expression falling as she registered some of his words. “You said you were still ‘aware’... but not in control of your actions, yes?” She then glanced down at her covers and sheepishly looked over to the man. “Would you mind...” She made a circle with her fingers to indicate to turn around.

Upon waking from her dream, Virra felt both thrilled and oddly down-at-heel. If what she'd just witnessed was in any way real -- and it certainly felt as if it had been -- then she'd just experienced something that she had only ever heard about while reading those brain-numbing textbooks on arcane theory. Effortless, sensory connectivity with another sapient being via the medium of sleep. She dared to think she might have been the first to ever achieve it without being a trained wizard,, though she could never have confirmed it.

But at the same time, coming out of the vision just sucked. It felt a little like she'd lost someone close to her, and she'd just remembered it after waking from a happy dream with them in it. A pretty spot-on analogy, actually.

She scowled and decided to put it out of her mind. Why would she be missing Niradnam anyway? The clueless jerk.

From the sound of things, the priests were already up and going about their business. Virra dressed quickly and rushed downstairs with her bag fast enough to bump into Ty as he was directed to the serving area by Cate. She joined them with a hungry enthusiasm that soon died as she learned that she'd be serving the food, not ingesting it. Knowing it was too late to escape, she reluctantly followed the cleric's example in plating up other people's breakfast and tried not to think about the wonderful things Eliza was probably eating at the De'Porthca manor. She'd be getting better company here, at least.

Cate's question helped to dampen her attitude more than anything. She gave Ty a sidelong glance, then coughed. "So... you know how people sometimes have greatness thrust upon them?" she began innocently.

Then she dropped her bag to the floor, and the clunk it made jogged her memory. "Oh right, there was something else. Hold on, I made a thing for you." Awkward revelation conveniently forgotten for the moment, she ducked down and went rooting through her things. Seconds later she retrieved a good-sized box, which she then presented to Cate with a triumphant smile. "Go on, open it," she urged.

If Cate followed her instructions, she'd find a pair of normal-looking, close-fitted, perfectly competently made shoes. "I thought, since you like to give yours away and all, I might enable your habit a little. Oh, you see the one on the right?" Virra said, nodding to it. "If you ever need to make some orphan's year, give the heel a twist." She'd been stuck on something to hide in the secret compartment that would be meaningful to the cleric, so the twenty-three gold coins she'd crammed in there would have to do.

Last edited:
Giving Cate a warm smile Tyrius began quickly, "Well you remember how we were going off after a pearl for The Sea?" asked Tyrius, keeping his voice down a little but not bothering to stay entirely quiet either. "We retrieved the pearl and brought it back. And well, The Sea started making demands. Talking about a contract that had been broken and claiming the deaths of the nobility were down to that broken contract." explained Tyrius, carefully making sure that people had enough toast so there was plenty to go around but nobody was just getting one triangular slice. "I'm sure you can imagine, a number of people might have just caused a fight but we managed to smooth things over. The Sea got her pearl, we got Cyne's body returned after that incident at the funeral and we even managed to release Lestone, who seemed to be a thrall of The Sea - acting on her will and not his own."

Tyrius looked down a little, "I think, I think Benito didn't take it very well, he wasn't able to overlook the fact that Lestone wasn't acting of his own volition and that sometimes it's necessary to compromise with people. Even well, The Sea referred to herself as a deity." Realising he was getting very side tracked, Tyrius looked to Cate, "We negotiated a new contract - from the way The Sea was behaving it wasn't as if we could round up all the noble families and get them onto the beach. Which pissed Benito off a little. Unlike the old one, this contract can be renegotiated." Realising he'd come to the point that Virra had eluded to, Tyrius decided to just say it plain. "We've made it so there's five people involved. One representative for each of the noble families of Porthca, then one further who represents well," Tyrius motioned with a nod of his head at the people eating in the temple, "The wider populace." Tyrius said as he handed two pieces of toast to someone who barely looked older than Tyrius himself was.

"We decided, well I sort of decided but the rest of the group agreed that there wasn't a better representative of the common good around here than yourself." Tyrius said, giving Cate a broad smile. "It isn't permanent," explained Tyrius as the line moved forward again, "And you can nominate a successor. I made a copy of the contract in my diary last night, felt it might be good to have a copy of what The Sea wanted." Tyrius pulled his diary out of his non-Bookwyrm bag with his other hand. "Oh, this is Bookwyrm," said Tyrius, realising the red egg wasn't very well hidden at all. Flipping the book open one handed and moving pages with his thumb, Tyrius eventually found the right page and passed it to Cate. "It is probably a lot to take in and in hindsight, it was probably best we didn't discuss this last night." said Tyrius with a smile.

Last edited:

"Definitely not human, though I have passed for one a few times,"
he scratched his cheek idly, "Especially when someone caught my eye a bit ..." Lestone raised an eyebrow at the language shift, "Like a waking dream -- at times I could impose my own will a bit more, but I'm not sure it ever worked." Returning to common he chuckled, turning over on his bed to face the wall, "As you like -- let me know when it's safe once more."

Joane reached for the unfamiliar book, studying it's cover with obvious interest, Ben reading over her shoulder, unsure of the book. She read its cover outloud, "The Little ... Elder Brain that Could...? I don't think we have this one," looking up the small girl gave Eliza a wide smile, "Thank you, Lady Eliza! I'll start reading it soon." Placing it on her lap she smiled happily while Ben gave Eliza a look of along the lines of "Where did you even find that?"

Anthol tapped the table, noticing Eliza seemed to want to dance around the topic, as his son had, "Then perhaps, would it be something worth gathering the Families for? The pair of you seem hesitant to speak directly on the matter, and I confess I'd rather know than be in the dark.

Richeye nodded towards Terminus, "Any bandits are the ones I want gone from the region -- preferably permanent, but unfortunately I know better than to have such a lofty goal."

Tilting his head towards the hissing figure Banrigg answered, "Most of th' orcs, yeah. One of 'em we kept alive, but they're way back in Wyford, far as I know. There seemed t'be just th' one, but like I said, she's off aways, but Ander is 'round here. He's last I saw still at th' Tuckered Kraken Tavern, down by th' docks." Adjusting his belt and gear he looked towards Lord Defallian for a moment, "As I said, I'm intendin' t'head out once more, maybe catch a lift onna ship headed further north, an' that means headin' back to th' docks."

Offering a hand towards Terminus he continued, "I could guide ya, if ya'd like. If yer after bandits, we're of th' same mind."

Catelyn listened to the pair as she continued to offer meals, finally the morning rush calming down and letting the trio find a seat themselves. Opening the box she gasped, "Oh! Virra, these look so comfortable and wonderful." She chuckled at the comment as she opened the heel slightly, eyes widening at the glimmer of gold, adding, "I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I make no promises how long these will stay with me physically, but the feeling of such a gift will linger for a very long time." The cleric hugged the gnome woman before turning back to Tyrius and trying to focus on his words.

Taking a moment to let it wash over her, she finally spoke, "Lord Benito is ... complex and at times gets fixated on perhaps the wrong things. I'm sure he meant well, and he's dealing with the stresses of his new position within both Porthca and his family's business." Catelyn fidgeted as she realized the weight of what else Tyrius had said sunk in, messing with the red cord wound around her wrist. Her eyes widened, "Lord Tyrius -- are you really sure I'm ... I'm capable of such a position? It should have been Mother Eirene -- she took over after ..." her lip quivered slightly, "After Father Uskough passed." Quiet for a moment she looked up again, "She's been within Porthca far longer than I -- aiding them and serving them, I'm still a mere cleric!"

Last edited:
Turning to Richeye, "Unlessss there isss any other information you can provide, I will take my leave."

Turning the dwarf, "It soundsss like thossse you were allied with and I have a tasssk in common. I ssshall like to meet them and discusss what they have ssseen and plan to do from here. I have been hunting them on my own..", with this statement comes a MROW MRO MROW from the panther. Turning to the panther, giving a nod, then back to the dwarf, "I mean WE have been hunting them on our own...", a MRHMF comes from the panther as Terminus continues, "it will be ussseful to have othersss to aid usss."

Turning to the panther, "Are you ready to go?" The panther nods, scratches behind an ear, stretches and walks over to her 'partner'.

Valerie pushed herself out of bed and spied her belongings by the door to the room, smiling as she saw Wayne Junior safe in the cage, although the large hawk looked rather irritated to be cooped up. The young warlock let go of the covers and quickly walked over, unlatching the cage and stroking the bird's head. "Oh, Wayne Junior, I am so sorry for ignoring you last night... I promise you, however, that the work we did was very important." The hawk cocked its head before nipping lightly at her hair and fluttering over to perch by the form of Lestone, regarding him curiously.

Removing the cage from the top of her chest, Valerie unlatched it and continued to speak to Lestone. "Apologies for him, Lestone. Wayne Junior is merely curious of you and glad to be free of his cage." She paused in her digging around through her possessions as she realized she had gotten sidetracked. "So how is it that taking notice of people allowed you to pass for human? Can you replicate people's voices and appearances as I can?"

Valerie quickly changed into a fresh tunic, not her intended outfit for the day, but one that would be better suited for conversing. She looked over to Lestone as she advised him. "Thank you, you may turn back if you wish." She returned to rummaging through the chest, searching for the proper dress for the trials that the day would almost certainly bring as she tried to ignore a mounting feeling of discomfort. Coming across a finely wrapped parcel that had accompanied her throughout her journey, she carried it over to her bed and set it down before taking a deep breath and sitting down next to it. After a moment of silence, she suddenly turned to Lestone and asking him in a more blunt manner than usual. "Were you exercising your will when you killed Cyne de Porthca? Or how about those children?" She wrapped her arms around her chest, looking down to the ground as she continued to fret. "In the moment I was so sure of my own correctness and that crass Lord's lack of understanding that I never even considered the possibility..." She looked back up to Lestone, her expression almost pleading. "That was not your choice, correct?"

Ander looks over to Magnolia, not realizing how complete his transformation had gotten during the night and he mutters, "I... Uhhh... I..." He then scrambles to his feat and faces away from the halfling as he reverts back to human form. He then turns around with a look of fear in his eyes, "I thought it was the trickster's doin', but none ov y'all seem ta be going through this." He looks down at the floor, ashamed that he hadn't asked for help before. "We've been so busy with Sybeth and the pearl and... I didn't know how to tell you all what was goin' on."

He sits back on the edge of his bed, nearly in tears, but a smile slowly crosses his face. "Ya know, somethin' tells me Lathander wouldn't mind a champion with the heart of a lion."

"You are quite welcome, Lady Joane. I hope you find it to your liking." Eliza beamed at the girl and took one final bite from her pancakes then gently dabbed at her lips. "These were quite delicious, thank you for your hospitality as always." she added for Sidwae's sake her mother's etiquette lessons still ringing in her head.

When Anthol starts mentioning 'gathering the Families', the wizard's heart drops at the prospect of having to now convince three other families to the validity of the contract. With a faint gulp, and a pleading look to Ben, she looked at Anthol and said as casually a tone as she could muster, "I am only hesitant about sharing what happened because it is of a rather sensitive nature. I wasn't sure who you would wish be present when I speak about contracts." She explained emphasizing the last word with a knowing look, "How about I first report to you and Madame Sidwae what happened last night and you can then best decide how to share what I have told you with the other Families."

As Wayne Jr. studied Lestone, the man smirked as he rolled over and did a small motion with his hand, creating a faint breeze around the hawk, ruffling its feathers from range. "I understand the feeling, little bird." He studied Valerie for a moment as if trying to gauge if she was trying to ask something else or merely unaware of what he had originally meant. "No ... I can't mimic like that -- perhaps a few voices on the wind, once I've got my strength back fully." He scratched his head, the color of his hair shifting faintly in the growing light, "It was more depending on who it was, I was more inclined to ... stop and speak with them a bit more, and try not to scare them off with what I truly am."

Watching Valerie as she moved back and forth around the room, he met her gaze as she asked her next questions. "Killing innocents is not in my nature, this I swear. It hurt me to see my strength used for such cruel and horrible acts." Lestone's expression softened, "I spent many of my centuries aiding where I could, and even here I offered to broker a peace between the struggling city and the wild whirlwind at their shore, only asking for a piece of what was to come." Leaning back on the bed he stared at the ceiling with a sigh, "I'm not surprised I was forgotten, but I'm also not going to destroy the town because of it."

Benito glanced towards Anthol and Sidwae as Eliza spoke the word contract and quickly finished off his plate, clearing his throat, "Perhaps this would be better discussed in the Study. Jo and Rob have their lessons today anyway, wouldn't do to keep them from their learning." He patted Joane's shoulder with a smile, "Afterall, magic or no, you need to know the basics if you're ever going to get into Azarad, right?"

Joane looked like she was going to complain then thought better of it, hugging her new book tightly as she and Robern left the table, saying their thanks before excusing themselves and headed towards the library.

Watching them head off, Anthol looked between his son and Eliza before pushing himself to standing, "Very well."

With Sidwae on his arm, Anthol led the group into the study, seating himself behind the large wooden desk, Sidewae seating herself in a chair to the corner while Ben sat across the desk from his father, motioning for Eliza to do the same. Clasping his hands before him, Anthol patiently waited, merely stating, "At some point, someone must begin."

Sidwae cleared her throat, "At the very least, we know something happened with the Sea. That is a powerful entity around here that is not one to play around with, so if it was spoken to, and seems to have affected as much as you imply, it would do you well to speak plainly."

Turning in his seat, Ben glared faintly at Sidwae, replying, "The Sea was more than spoken to -- a new contract was made on behalf of Porthca itself."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Streets:

With a few final words to Richeye, he waves the pair off as they leave, Froot also offering the wave of a branch at the departing guests. The panther follows quietly behind, Banrigg occasionally glancing over his shoulder at it, commenting, "Huh that's ... a big cat, huh. Where'd ya find it, eh? Or did ya raise it? We used t'have a cat round th' house, came out with us fer fishin', but more often laid in th' sun than anything useful," the dwarf chuckled.

Continuing onwards, the trio got a few strange looks as they crossed the streets of Porthca, working their way to the docks. Banrigg spoke up once more, "So, ya seem like a traveler yerself, aye? Managin' on yer own I doubt was easy -- thankfully I been hitchin' rides on ships an' boats, an' while they're not family, a crew of people ya can trust can do a lot in helpin' ease the loneliness, yanno?"

As Catelyn seemed to panic, Tyrius gave her as reassuring a smile as he could manage so early in the morning. "I'm sure." said Tyrius, hesitating for a moment. He could understand Catelyn's apprehension but at the same time they hadn't known of Catelyn's Mother Eirene. 'We did the right thing, right?' thought Tyrius to himself, remembering he was the one who'd put Catelyn's name into the contract.

"The next renegotiation is in fifty years." Tyrius explained, "You're more than capable, Catelyn." Tyrius gave a slight nod, an idea coming to mind. "How long was Father Uskough in charge?" asked Tyrius, trying to sneak his hand towards the pocket where he kept his coin purse.

Looking to Virra as he slid his hand into his pocket, Tyrius said, "Catelyn's the right person for this, right Virra?" As it was, Tyrius was just waiting to hear how long Father Uskough had been in charge of the church as two words went through his mind. 'Gold or Platinum?'

Mags just shook her head at the big oaf, "Ander how do you not tell me you are a were-whatever? That's possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen and I once met a woman with a snake head."

Jumping off of her bed onto the giant man, she wrapped him in a big hug. He was so innocent, "if your god didn't want you to be a were lion I don't think you would be. Now come on, breakfast and prayers wait for no man or man beast!"

she paused just then and thought about how little weirdness she had whitnessed in this land, "I probably shouldn't tell people about this should I?"

"Yesss, but very loyal. Sssometimesss, ssshe isss a little too sssmart for her own good..." as he says this, Terminus reaches out and rubs the panther's head, the dwarf could swear he saw her smile. "It is hard to sssay who found who. I wass out hunting with a group and came acrossss a panther den. The mother and other cubsss were gone. There wasss a sssign of a fight, but it isss not clear if it wasss another wild animal or sssome humanoid. Ssshe wass under sssome debris, it appearsss ssshe ssslept through whatever happened. I raisssed and trained her, but ssshe has sssome sssurprisssing natural abilitiesss." Looking at the panther now, the dwarf could swear the panther understands what is being said and starts to strut a little as Terminus finishes talking.

With a sigh, "Traveling with jussst the two of usss wasss not easssy at timesss, nor desssirable, but, we have no choice. We have been tracking the banditsss when I heard about Richeye'sss requessst. I want answersss or vengeance, and at thisss point, I do not care which." As Terminus finishes, the panther takes her head and shoves it into Terminus's hand, essentially causing him to give her a head rub. The dwarf could swear he heard some purring from the panther. "Neither of usss enjoy riding on ssshipsss. The lassst time was a challenge due to a misssbehaving magical item that wasss being transssported at the sssame time. It did not end well, and hasss made usss hesssitant to go on another ssship."

As they walk, the dwarf starts to study this strange pair. Terminus, is mostly covered wearing a worn and tattered hooded cloak that appears to be a little big for his small frame. There are signs of lizard like features, but almost everything is covered, making it hard to tell what he is. The panther, has what appears to be leather armor cobbled together from scraps of armor sets. It is clear these two have been on the road on their own for a while.

"I mean... maybe don't make an announcement about it right away. I wanna make sure we deal with thin's that are more important than me." He looked embarrassed but happy that Magnolia was so accepting of whatever this is. He looked to Mags with a raised eyebrow, "I dreamed of my god last night, and he told me of another, one who used lions as a symbol of devotion and strength. I may need the others' help to learn about that god, but I agree that this might just be a boon."

Valerie carefully studied Lestone's expression for a long time after he had finished speaking before the tension seemed to fade from her. She nodded and gave him an apologetic look. "Right... My deepest apologies for doubting you, Lestone. I am afraid that it is not often that I have made decisions of such import, and frankly I am petrified that I have made some variety of error. I am glad that at the very least it was not you." She gave him a slight smile before asking. "While we are on the subject, can you tell me more about your original bargain with the Sea? I would feel much better about my own arrangement if I know what errors were made in the past."Her expression fell and she looked to him with concern. "And I am so very sorry, Lestone. The people of this city owe you so much for what you did for them, but I fear that the nobility seeks to portray you as a monster in order to conceal their own mistakes."

Virra grinned as Cate hugged her. "Hey, I know what you're like," she giggled. "So long as you're happy giving 'em away, that's all I need."

She rested her arms on the table and let Ty take charge of the explanations. The most she felt qualified to offer was a nod when the sorcerer asked for her input. "You'll be a good, impartial judge, Cate. That's not really what I was worried about when your name got written into the contract." She looked down at her hands. "Fifty years is most of your life. It's a heck of a thing to have dumped on you, even if you are capable of doing the job. I guess the best we can hope for is that no moron breaks the terms of the contract in the meantime, so you won't have any real duties to deal with. It'll really mess up any plans you might've had to leave the city before then, though. I mean, I guess you could still go out on missions or whatever your church has you do, but the nobles'd need a way to contact you, and..."

She sighed and gave Catelyn a frank look. "If we'd known a bit more about Eirene, we might've put her name there instead. But we know you'll be fantastic, Cate. You've got enough good sense to balance out the blue-bloods, and that baby Goddess too." She said the last words derisively, but it still nagged at her. Faith and prayers. Is that all she really needed...?

Last edited:
Old memories float through her mind as she remembers something from long ago, "Ander, I think you mean Adkiel, the Lord of the Lost. We had old books about him back home, he was the Lion who guarded sheep." Mischief danced on her face, "awh does this mean you're going to be protective of us like we have little wooly coats?"

The thought of a new mystery fueling her leaps and bounds toward the common room. "Come on you beast of a man," she teased over shoulder,. "Maybe they have a breakfast buffet!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread