• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom PokéSync: Team Delinquent (Private)

Absollover77

Was Aurapaw on FeralFront
Roleplay Type(s)
Fight Area – Battle Zone

The grass crunching under her boots was the only sound that drifted up to her ears as she walked across a field to a stone slab with a metal plaque, many names are on it. Simply, this is a mass memorial. These names are the people who died all across the Battle Zone. Among the fifty names on it, two names stand out to her. Her mother's and father's names are the ones her eyes focused on. "I'm home." Her words a soft whisper. "I have joined the Bronze League as of today. I thought it best to visit you both before I took my first steps with no one holding my hand and doing what I must to survive. I will use what you've given me, and what you taught me to crush my opposition. I promise I won't join you up there in heaven until I have succeeded in my goals and lived a long life. I will visit before the Bronze League Tournament Preliminaries. If I'm in them or not I'll make the time."

Shifting her weight she leans slightly from side to side looking up at the sky. "Mom, Dad... see you. I'll make you proud, I promise." Spinning on her heel she put her hands over her head and stretched. Today is slightly sunny with a few clouds floating along here and there, dotting the sky. Taking in a deep breath her face settles into a blank expression and she starts to walk back to the more populated part of town. She'll have to set herself up with a lift. She doesn't know where she'll start yet but she needs a plan. Perhaps she wasn't the only one who decided to start here like she did. Finding others in the Bronze League would be a good start. After all, there is safety in numbers. On a darker note, at least if something goes wrong you won't die alone. That thought crossed her mind as she brushed her hand upon the pokeball with her partner inside. She doesn't exactly feel comfortable with the Buneary yet even if she's had almost a year with the Pokémon. Yukina is just as enthusiastic about training as she is herself. It took a bit for her to keep up. Hiven the Pokémon had never done the intense physical training Zera puts herself through. It became a point in which they could bond. While their work out relation is great, and battle practice has been going well so far...

Nearly stumbling on a loose brick sticking out of the road ,she was brought out of her mind to pay attention. There were few people around, and a boat had just pulled into dock. She stepped over to a bench and sat down on it. This would likely be the best spot to wait for potential meat shields. One or two suckers she could use to get into a comfortable spot then ditch them if they aren't beneficial to keep around.

Sprites by Smogon Sprite Project
Base Code by Ambiloquous

7:55 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
Docks, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven Davidson
Interactions: Zera Quinn
CloudySkyLoftyMoon CloudySkyLoftyMoon Absollover77 Absollover77

Draven's hands were clutching at the PokeBall he had used to catch that owlet a few months ago, his notebook on his lap opened to the notes on how to take care of the rather large Normal/Flying-Type. On the other page were the costs he'd be expecting to make to not only get off the Battle Zone once he arrived, but also the healing at the Pokemon Center.

His father reminisced how free the healing was at the Pokemon Centers... Now, not so much anymore. Draven won't realize this until later, but he should be thankful for his mother being a nurse (albeit medically retired) to have an Audino and Comfey to take care of them all.

But for right now, knowing that he wasn't as physically fit as he should be, he needed to keep his Pokemon catching sparing. The one Pokemon he needed was a Pokemon that could be used against Electric- and Rock-Types, and seeing as Ground-Types also had Rock-Type attacks to deal with Ice-Types, he was good. Plus, his Hoothoot can cover their Grass-Type weakness. The only thing he needed to worry about was the Water-Type weakness.

He needed a Grass-Type, too...

When the plane landed, Draven walked out of the plane, grabbed his large bag from the conveyor, slung it over his shoulder, and began walking out of the airport. The first thing he did was check for any Swarms. He needed a Ground-Type, and the one he found that was happening near here was a Trapinch. He was told he should go to the Battle Zone so he may learn anything else from others and maybe pick up some strong trainers and place himself in their group.

He passed by a notice about there being a Little Cup tournament here to showcase the Bronze League trainers who just started, an icebreaker to allow people to find teammates and earn money for participating and showing off their skills. Draven paused and stared for a moment, then took the poster off the wall to look over it some more.

They needed money. $5,000 wasn't going to keep himself afloat for the whole week. And if he was going to be grabbing a Trapinch, he needed to be careful about it being a possible food sink.

His musings while walking aimlessly led him to the port, where a boat was coming in. It looked like a cargo ship. Draven was a little jealous that the Battle Zone had supplies like this coming in - with Undella Town getting shared supplies from Humilau City...

But still, at least they were well-taken care of. The supplies in the Battle Zone were likely being used up more than in Undella Town anyway.

The sea breeze here smelled different than back home. Similar salty smell, but there was an unknown scent wafting through. It left him homesick, but just barely. This was a new chapter. The sea breeze blew through his black hair, the pink hair dye having faded to purple due to the improper application of the hair dye on black hair. His green eyes finally landed on a young woman sitting on a bench, looking like she was waiting for someone.

Deciding to take a seat on the same bench but give her enough space, he sat down on the other side of the same bench. He decided to try and do small talk, break the ice a little.

"You look like you're waiting for someone." He looked over at the woman, then held out the poster. "I saw this and I'm thinking of participating. If not able to grab a couple people for the journey, then to get some money for participating, grab a Pokemon here, and be on my merry way." She looked like a local, so he continued. "You thinking of participating?" He asked, unsure if she would even bother with something like that.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

7:56 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
Fight Area – Battle Zone

The quiet call of the wingull far up in the sky. The soft breeze messing up her hair a bit. The cool air coming off the water, a wave of nostalgia hit her like a truck. She would have reminisced but she was interrupted by a guy taking a seat next to her. She glanced at him but kept her main attention on the ocean. At least that is what she wanted to do. The guy started talking to her. He seemed to think she was waiting for someone. The only people she'd ever wait for, they could never show up.

She looked at the flier he had in his hands. A little beginner tournament, the idea wasn't a bad one. It could be something to achieve her goal. However, as her father used to say, 'if you aren't filled with the confidence to win, there is no shame in stepping back until you are sure you're ready.' "It does seem like a good place to start but I believe that it's not a good place to look. Anyone who jumps into a fight right off the bat will waste their advantage. While they are fighting one another... you can expand your arsenal or work for a more functional foundation of money." She accents the word money by rubbing her pointer and middle fingers against her thumb. The universal hand gesture for gaining of capital. "First pick on the jobs that are the best will likely happen during the tournament. A head start by not wasting time. I enjoy the idea of Battle just like anyone else, but it shouldn't cloud your judgement. If you still want to battle, More options, is equivalent to increased success. If you have the money get a pokeball or two, and catch a pokemon to tip the scales in your favor." She crossed her bare arms just under her chest. "At least that is what I'd do in a hurry if I really wanted to win the thing. It may seem a little dangerous, but you can use the new bond ferociousness to you advantage. The new trainers will have no clue how to combat that yet." She shakes her head with her eyes closed. "It's just what I would do to ensure victory. After all it isn't only the Pokémon fighting... you are too. Mentality of the trainer is just as important if you want to succeed. Scare them, they'll tumble like a house of cards."

Base Code by Ambiloquous

7:57 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:

Draven Davidson

The icy feel of this woman made Draven wonder if she was even willing to talk to him. He couldn't blame her, but he also needed people. What better way than to show some battle-hardened people his abilities, and reassure through his skills he won't end up dead?

However, what he wasn't expecting was for the woman to talk. And talk. And talk.

Granted, he didn't mind the length of talking, but he hadn't expected her to school him upon meeting her. But what she said was true. His eyes widened as she gave honestly great advice. Blinking several times, he took a moment to really take in what she said.

He could have people look for him in a tournament, but he can't be passive about it... Going to fight immediately after getting here wouldn't help any of them. What he should be doing was look for that Trapinch first and...

Was she mentioning PokeJobs?

Honestly, he hadn't thought of that either. Those who were confident in the people they already had - those within the Battle Zone who already teamed up - wouldn't need a tournament, and a PokeJob would be better money than a tournament. But she gave an alternative: if he still wanted to battle, get another Pokemon before doing so.

However, the brutality of which she mentioned - of essentially utilizing psychological warfare by using a creature he just caught to really freak out the newbies - was a brilliant strategy, if not a bit barbaric. She reminded him that it was him fighting alongside his Pokemon, as it took a mental toll. Draven pulled out his PokeBall, sighing as he thought about it for a long minute.

"Huh... I haven't thought about that... Thank you." His voice was soft, as he really took it in. "You know, I might not need to search for others in that tournament..." He looked over at her with a smile. "You got a good head on your shoulders. I'm not expecting to pull in a battler from the tournament, but someone who understands strategy and can think ahead. Honestly, I've been more worried about gaining money and a person to help with costs that I didn't think about the PokeJobs. I heard those are decent, but they'd be better with a greater variety of Pokemon."

He then pulled out his phone and showed her the nearby path of Route 228. There was a Trapinch icon there. "There's a Trapinch swarm here. I'll need a Ground-Type to help combat the weaknesses of my Hoothoot, but in order to go out there, I need someone to go out there with me. I have enough money to get off this island and for a night's stay at a Pokemon Center, I don't expect to stay for too long and if the tournament takes too long, the money I get for participating if I don't win won't be enough to cover the losses. And while I have done some conditioning, I don't think I can mentally last a full tournament length. I think just getting a Trapinch here and then leaving with someone would be good."

He then paused, sighing. "I don't wanna strongarm you into coming with me. But if you could at least accompany me to Route 228, I can show you my own creativity while we're out there and show I'm not some freeloader who doesn't know what they're doing, and you can make a decision whether you want to come with me afterwards. I really need someone who won't be too rash and you look exceptionally strong." He then had a bit of a wry smile, as he self-deprecated himself. "I'll also need someone who knows how to do exercises to train with me or something so I don't fuck myself over. I'm just worried that if I catch that Trapinch, I'll pass out." He sighed, scratching the back of his head.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

7:58 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
Fight Area – Battle Zone

Her arms remaining crossed, Zera took in the words and explanation that the guy had to give. She had a small ghost of a smile flicker on her face as she nodded in approval. The little smile was gone so fast it's possible it could have been imagined. "A wise choice. Trapinch is a valuable investment for the future. Vibrava, and then a Flygon. A insanely versatile mixed attacker... if you get a chance get your hands on a fire punch TR. They'll never see it coming from a Flygon." She trailed off for a moment when she considered her options at the moment.

Honestly the guy could use the help. He is hardly in shape, and he'd probably need to be carried back to town after the capture. He might be out for a few hours if he doesn't have help. A soft sigh leaves her but she nods. "I guess it would be a good idea to help you. I'd feel bad if you ended up getting killed over my advice. I guess I'll come with you as a little extra security."

She looked at the route number and turned her head towards the route in question. She had just come from that direction. Fate has some hilarious sense of humor doesnt it. She didnt expect to be passing by in the matter of minutes. Mother would have teased her and father would have laughed so hard. That clearing had houses and a dirt road but now... its just a open plain of grasses that leads deep into the route.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

7:59 a.m. – July 1st

Draven Davidson

Draven sighed in relief when Zera agreed to take him to the route. Good, good. And hey, she even seemed to enjoy the fact that he wasn't some dumb guy by choosing the right Pokemon. When he heard about the Fire Punch, his eyes widened.

Huh, that solved a good portion of his problems with Ice-Types. Given that the Pokemon wasn't also another type that resisted Fire, like Water, Rock, or Dragon.

Draven smiled wide, his shoulders visibly relaxing. "Thank you. Oh, I'm Draven. What's your name? What kind of Pokemon do you have?"

He did notice the look she gave the route, but he didn't want to bother with that. It looked like a glum subject, something he didn't want to touch or else he'd lose her help.

His eyes glanced over at the cargo ship, a little curious as to what was held on board, but it was nothing more than brief curiosity that didn't last very long.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:00 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
Fight Area – Battle Zone

“Hey, you, you’re finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right?”

Eyes cracked open and the darkness receded slowly; Nate released a nauseous groan. The ground swayed rhythmically; uncomfortable twice over. Once because, having never strayed too far from his home in Pyrite Town, several days on the open sea proved far too much for his feeble constitution. He hadn’t found his sea legs and now he suffered for it. The second reason for his discomfort was the moldy old blanket that passed for his bed. It was barely enough to cover him and certainly not enough to soften the cold, hard floor. After being jostled about in the dim dank of the ship’s hold, Nate felt like he’d gone three rounds in the ring—he was sore all over.

Nate hadn’t expected comfortable accommodations—he was smuggling himself after all and for a price this low, he was happy enough to get a meal a day—but the journey had been exceptionally crappy, and he still felt like utter shit. The crusty old sailor’s attempt to shake him awake wasn’t helping. Nate tried to fob him off with a few waves, but the sailor wasn’t having it.

“You need to skedaddle, kid. We’ve arrived in Sinnoh. The journey’s over and you’re holding up the cargo! We’ve got a tight schedule, if you’re not out of here by the time I get back then I’ll just throw you out.”

Nate stilled; his faculties still mired by grogginess. The man grunted, turned, and left. His heavy footfalls allowed Nate to track him as he departed. Once it was just him and the cargo, Nate’s eyes fluttered open. He soon regretted the decision. His vision doubled, swaying twice over, and a new wave of nausea almost tossed last night’s dinner. It took several moments for his nausea to subside, and Nate grimaced. His eyes fell on the pokéball at his waist; his other senses soon followed. He grasped for the nascent bond between him and his ‘pokémon’ and pinched it closed just a smidgeon. His doubled vision faded, and Nate sighed in relief.

The Synchro Bond pulsed stronger and stronger each day; from the fragile whisper-thin thread it had been when it had formed to the still-thin but substantial cord it was today. Sometime in the last few days, the bond had grown enough to sustain sensory sharing. As fascinating as it was, the double-feed had come at the worst possible time and the overload had contributed the most to Nate’s overwhelming seasickness.
At least it was all over now.

Nate struggled to his feet and gathered his belongings. It wasn’t much, just the clothes on his back and a few wads of cash he had tucked into a small pouch. Add his partner’s Pokémon and that was everything the boy currently owned. He glanced over at the crates of cargo and briefly wondered if the sailors would really miss an item or two. He was tempted to try his luck but…forget it. The cargo was valuable; a shipment of battle items and pokéballs from what he’d overheard. They’d sell for a pretty price but even if he could make it off the ship with some pilfered goods, he wouldn’t get far before they caught up to him.

“Let’s get going Jue-jue.”

『 Oh… We’re leaving? Okay… 』

His partner’s ever-lethargic voice echoed in his mind as he navigated the ship’s hall, her tone barely more than dull monotone. It was more vibrant than when she’d first been…reborn, and Nate took that as a good sign.

『 I can’t see… 』

She had also grown more curious in recent days. If she hadn’t been confined to her pokéball, she would’ve no doubt wandered the ship, following whoever or whatever caught her eye. Given they weren’t supposed to be on the ship in the first place, that would’ve been a problem.

"Bear with it, we’ll be off the ship soon, then I’ll let you see as much as you want.”

Confused but accepting, Jue-Jue sunk into companionable silence, a faint presence at the back of Nate’s mind but one he could ignore without much effort.

Soon enough Nate was jogging down the gangplank. His first steps onto Sinnoh soil. With a thought he loosened his ‘pinch’ on his bond and once more his senses prickled as Jue-Jue’s awareness was added to his own. Without the nausea-inducing sway of the sea, it was far more manageable. One deep breath steadied him and then Nate was on his way.

He didn’t know where he was going. Without a map, he didn’t even know where he was. From what he recalled the Sinnoh Bronze League was about to begin and the cargo ship he’d traveled on was to deliver their goods to the Battle Area before picking up new cargo to deliver elsewhere. The Bronze League… Nate licked his lips. He intended to join. He didn’t have much of a choice. Without credentials or other marketable skills, Pokémon Trainer was his only recourse. He’d talked with the sailors on the journey over from Orre and he knew—roughly—how this Bronze League thing was supposed to go. First, he’d need to find the Pokémon Center and register for a Trainer Card. He, of course, had a counterfeit card—as many from Orre did—but it was far easier to register as a trainer in other regions when compared to Orre, so this was the perfect opportunity to get something more…legitimate.

Nate spotted a couple seated on a bench—a soft effeminate man and his beef-cake girlfriend. They were quite the couple, sitting by the ocean and staring wistfully into the distance. Nate walked over.

“Hey, could either of you point me in the direction of the Pokémon Center?”

- Team -

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:00 a.m. – July 1st

Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven, this guy seemed a bit enthusiastic and happy. Her suggestion seemed to click some realization as well. It was then her name was asked for, and what Pokémon she had. Her name was easy enough to ask for, but giving out what Pokémon she had would be less than ideal. However it wasn't like she didn't have a reason to tell him. He did give her valued information. He was after Trapinch, wanted her help to watch his back, and seemed to be receptive to her advice. She'd never been more grateful for reading so many Battle strategy reports and watching trainers battle with her dad.

"My name is Zera Quinn, and my Pokémon is a Buneary named Lukina." Her occular orbs flicked to her waist for a moment. The ball firmly clasped there. She felt the bond flare slightly at her speaking her pokemon's name aloud. The bunny Pokémon has yet to get much activity or exercise in yet today and was exuding the familiar but foreign emotion of exhilaration fed though the link. The pokemon clearly happy at the idea of being let out to burn off energy and maybe fight for a change.

"Zera-sensei, Zera-sensei, can i please, please, please, come out?" The small female voice said scratching at Zera's focus to get her attention. It wasn't too big a distraction but it plucked slightly at some odd cord in her chest when she heard Lukina call her that. "I promise I'll be good. So please sensei?"

Zera slightly grumbled standing up.and looking at a newcomer who looked a tad pale and that was putting it nicely. Glancing around a bit she looked from Draven to the boy who seemingly asked her where to find the Pokémon center. Resisting the urge to facepalm Zera looking at the new guy who just asked where the the building with a glaring red roof that she can see from where she is standing, three buildings down with the sign clearly visible just outside. However instead she withheld her outburst with practiced ease considering how her pokemon acts sometimes. Her face the structured and calm she's crafted over years back in the orphanage to mess with the adults and other kids alike she tilted her head ever so slightly as her eyes locked onto the guy . "Hmm, you say something?"

Having gotten Lukina's attention earlier she snickers at her sensei's aloof act. It was something that the Pokémon enjoyed about her sensei. Being able to flip all aloof and lazy in the matter of a second.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:01 a.m. – July 1st

Fight Area – Battle Zone

She must truly be smitten.

Nate had heard those sap-stories about losing one’s awareness or the world vanishing around you when you were with the person you loved, but he’d always taken it for literary hyperbole. Now, it seemed the rumors were true and as was often the case, confirmation came from the most unexpected sources. He wouldn’t have taken a buff girl like this one to be all lovey-dovey lovestruck, but he she was—so lost she couldn’t even parse the world around her. Amazing! Nate could only admire people who exuded such deep love and affection. He threw her an admiring smile and a double thumbs up.

“Yes, I asked if you could point me toward the Pokémon Center?”

He didn’t mind repeating. It was the folly of the uneducated to remain as such. Orre had Pokémon Centers, but they were few and far between—only four were scattered across the region. There had been a Pokémon Center in Gateon Port, where he departed from, but Nate had been too busy making arrangements to have checked it out. And, even if he had, it would not have helped him here. Unlike the more standardized appearance in other regions, Orre’s Pokémon Centers were all unique in appearance.

- Team -

Base Code by Ambiloquous

Draven Davidson
Interactions: Nathanael, Zera Quinn

Draven hadn't really pinched that connection with his Hoothoot today, mainly because his dear Ma'a had been experiencing some rather bad jetlag that was screwing with her internal clock, giving her all kinds of migraines and motor issues. He was told by his father it would happen, and that it shouldn't last for any longer than a day. Having her out and about should help, but Draven was a bit too apprehensive to let her out of her ball just yet.

Draven smiled as he received Zera's name. That was a pretty cool name, and he heard about how strong Lopunny were. He also recalled it could mega evolve, but with how things are now with the whole sensations and stuff, Draven wasn't so sure if Mega Evolution was even possible anymore.

That was when a young man approached them. He seemed rather sick but was trying to appear as if he wasn't so sick. When asked for the Pokemon Center, this struck Draven as odd. He must've come from somewhere else if he didn't know what it was.

Zera's aloofness caught Draven off guard, but he wondered if that was just her way of testing this guy. Either way, he got up and approached the sickly man, giving a small smile. "Hey, it's not common someone comes from somewhere else that has differently colored Pokemon Centers, or even none whatsoever. But, I gotta ask. Why go there? It costs money. You willing to spend something right now?" He asked, unsure if the guy even had money to spare. If he came through on a cargo ship...

Wait a second... Did he just...?

No, surely if he had paid someone well, he would have been able to hitch a ride on a cargo ship, but they weren't known to transport people. Either he was frugal and had the cash to spend on the Pokemon Center by being a stowaway, had no cash and spent it on paying the guy off, or he did some favors to earn his way on the boat (but it didn't look like this guy could even lift unless he's got hidden strength), but that still meant that he had to do something a little underhanded to get on that boat. And the only reason he knew was because Undella Town had a port and he'd witness supplies being ferried between the town and Humilau City.

Though, how he was able to ride on the boat was a concern he was going to put to the side for the moment. They needed to get the guy to a Pokemon Center.

After a brief scrutinizing look as he glanced between him and the cargo ship seconds after he asked if he was going to spend money at the center, he pointed at the nearby bright red-orange rooftop. "Well, it's right there. You look like you're about to pass out though. You sure you don't need some assistance walking there?"

Was he a bit overbearing in his care? Probably, but he really did kinda feel bad for the guy.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

Last edited:
Fight Area – Battle Zone

Her look didn't at all shift from the aloof mask she decided to wear for the moment, her expression displaying her disinterest. A inaudible sigh escapes her at the stupid actions of the new guy. He looked like a fool giving her a double thumbs up grinning like an lunatic. So instead of speak to the delusional guy further she grabs her left shoulder with her right hand crossing her arm across her chest, beginning to roll her shoulders. A slight tilt of her head made a soft pop sound from her neck.

"Sensei, hey sensei..." Yukina started talking through their connection once again requesting her attention obviously requesting to come out of her ball. As if it wasn't enough to let her see through her eyes and hear what she does. "SENSEI!" Zera looked to the right and glared at the ground. 'What is it Yukina?' Allowing a small bit of annoyance drip from the thought. Yukina was quiet for a moment but responded, "I'm sorry sensei. I was going to ask when we were going to play in the fields like you promised." She closed her eyes and shook her head. So that's what this was about. She mentally sighed, 'In a little while, be a good girl and dont shout in my head again. I didn't forget, I just need to find you a few playmates first. It isnt any fun to play all by yourself right?' Seemingly content with her explanation Yukina fell silent. Zera clicked her tongue against her teeth. If only Yukina's idea of playing was normal she wouldn't have to find wild pokemon for her to quote on quote play with. Her idea of play, practically equating beating them into the dirt. One of her only miscommunications with her but it may prove helpful later down the line.

Bringing herself mentally back to the two people she was technically having what barely passes as a conversation in any social circles. "Are we going now, daylight is burning and if we are going to get you that Pokémon you'll need pokeballs and to get out there now if you have any desire to get ahead."

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:02 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
Fight Area – Battle Zone

Nate couldn’t comment on the soft boy’s assertions; he didn’t know what other regions did with their Pokémon Centers, whether they had standardized designs or had more unique designs, but the boy’s words would suggest the former. However, the Orrean was a bit confused by the other comments. The Pokécenter cost money? Of course it costs money! Was there anything that didn’t? Even if he wanted to be frugal there were still limits. Was he supposed to not register just because it cost money? That would never do…

Nate shrugged. “Gotta spend money to earn money, that’s just how it goes.” Since it was only registration, he at least hoped it wouldn’t be too expensive. The boy had pointed out the Pokémon center and then offered to escort him there. A kind gesture, but not one that was required. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be fine, and besides it looks like your girlfriend’s in a rush. Thanks for the directions.”

With the PokéCenter in sight, Nate headed off and soon enough he stepped through the sliding doors and into the cool, air-conned lobby of the pokémon center.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

Pokécenter, Fight Area – Battle Zone

The registration process had gone smoothly. There had been a short line for the receptionist and Nate was the third or fourth in line. There had been a hiccup, a small one, an expected one: a background check. It was to be expected. He was from Orre and the region wasn’t known for its upstanding citizens. Thankfully, Nate didn’t have a criminal record—not a significant one. Sure, there were probably a few accounts of theft and other misdemeanors, but they were a far cry from murder or any major criminal offenses that might bar him from registration. Probably… In truth, he had prepared a set of fake documents in anticipation of a background check, but if he’d been caught using them, he would’ve been done for. It wasn’t worth the risk. His troubles hadn’t ended there, however.

It was a bit of a faux pas to own a pokéball without first owning a trainer card, this was something Nate knew. People who weren’t registered trainers weren’t supposed to own pokéballs. How then did Nate own one? His violation of this rule came into question, as he’d expected it would. As he had prepared for. When he had discovered Jue-Jue and her tampered Pokéball, the thought had crossed his mind to abscond with the Pokémon there and then. If he had, then his journey would’ve ended right there and then, under the interrogation of the receptionist. The problems a tampered or stolen pokéball could bring were endless and that’s why Nate had liquidated his belongings and traded in his scavenged goods all for the price of a new pokéball. Jue-Jue’s pokéball came from a legitimate source, one that could be tracked and…referenced.

The receptionist made her calls, checking that Nate had indeed obtained the pokéball ‘legally’. Of course, he had bribed for this pokéball but that…wouldn’t come to light. After all, if he was thrown under the bus, did they really think he was going to keep his mouth shut? No, of course not. He would drag them down with him by exposing the bribes they’d taken. Such a play might not have worked in Orre, where disregard for the law was commonplace and the authorities might’ve even consorted with each other to swallow all the benefits while burying him alive, but by contacting them from Sinnoh? Heh…If things went south, then the Sinnoh branch of the League might pursue his claims, and at that point someone was going to lose their job or maybe even more… Why give up wealth and influence just to screw over some no-name kid? Nay, Orre was no stranger to backroom dealings and Nate was a seasoned hand himself.

The narrative had been written long ago: some low-level worker in Orre had violated protocol and sold a pokéball to an unregistered trainer. They would be written up and punished. The involved parties would receive a slap on the wrist, but they would then dry their tears with the fat stacks Nate had forked over and the matter would be put to rest. No one had died, nothing had been stolen, and there was nothing to escalate the matter any further. ‘Jue-Jue’s pokéball’ had cost Nate an exorbitant amount, but he couldn’t have traveled with the goods he’d scavenged, nor the resources left behind by his former gang. Better to use them all to set himself up for the future. And that was what this was all about.

After a few more questions, Nate walked out of the Pokémon center with his newly laminated trainer card. A Sinnoh Affiliated trainer card. It wasn’t the one they gave to citizens of Sinnoh, but rather the one they provided to smaller polities who didn’t have a pokémon league and thus relied on the major regions for trainer registration. Just like that, Nate had ‘rid’ himself of the Orrean stigma. A risky PR victory, but one that would pay dividends in the future.

Holding the card to the sun, Nathanael couldn’t help but…smirk. The trainer card was a fancy piece of tech. The receptionist had droned on and on about Aura-integrated functionality…whatever that meant, but eventually she had simplified it into a few major points: Most important among them, at least to him, was that Jue-Jue’s pokéball was now linked to his person and would be incredibly difficult to steal. He hadn’t dared let Jue-Jue out of her pokéball before. In and of itself, the Synchro bond did little to stop a Pokémon from being stolen and since Jue-Jue’s pokéball hadn’t been registered to him, he would be fresh outta luck if he lost it. Now? He had no such concerns.

Nate went to the battlefiend behind the pokécenter—thankfully empty—and gave Jue-Jue’s pokéball a toss. His ghostly companion emerged her expression as blank and inscrutable as ever. The fox looked around, silently indulging her freedom. Her trainer was more preoccupied with the pokéball’s recall function and he marveled as the device floated back to his hand. What followed next was a few minutes of testing. If the pokéball had a range limit, then Nate couldn’t throw far enough to reach it. However, he did notice that beyond a certain distance, the ball teleported to his palm rather than float.

“Neat.”

Once he was done playing, Nate turned his attention to Jue-Jue. The ghost-fox had taken great interest in some nearby flowers. Ever since her ‘rebirth’, a tepid curiosity appeared to be the only surviving trait of whoever the fox once was. Everything else appeared to have been stripped clean by death…including common sense… Nate grimaced as the bitter taste of plant fiber seeped through the bond.

First things first, he needed information. He didn’t even know what Jue-Jue was, much less how he could use her to win the League. Unfortunately, he didn’t have any of those fancy devices that would tell him all about Pokémon, so he’d have to find out the old-fashioned way—books. There had to be a library around here somewhere…and if not, surely the Pokémon center would have resources on Pokémon? He could even use one of the PCs they provided to the public.

Ultimately, Nate had chosen to use the Pokémon Center’s PCs. It cost a small fee, but it was worth the time saved and the greater access to information. It didn’t take him long to find Jue-Jue or rather…her species. He had even found a few forums that discussed its usage in battles.

110px-0570Zorua-Hisui.png
Zorua-H
Zorua-H, the Spiteful Fox Pokémon; Ghost & Normal Type.. The hisuian variant of Zorua, the tricky fox Pokémon. This Pokémon derives power from resentment, which rises as energy atop its head and takes on the forms of foes. In this way, Zorua vents lingering malice. Where regular Zorua are said to have a timid nature which led to the development of their illusion abilities, and thus keeps their true form hidden to ensure safety and to frighten off enemies, Hisuian Zorua appears to cast illusions by constantly unleashing its spiteful power of malice through its ghostly fur, specifically atop its head. This power comes from Hisuian Zorua's own resentment of everything. If it encounters a lone human or Pokémon, Zorua may appear to them masked in a horrifying illusion of their own likeness. It seems to draw strength from the terror it inflicts on its victims.

Hisuan Zorua is a unique Normal/Ghost type. This is an interesting type-combination that excels in hitting foes for neutral damage and abusing its immunities to make it difficult to hit. Defensively, this pair it has one weakness to Dark types; it has two resistances to poison and bug, which are underwhelming but it’s three immunities to normal, fighting and ghost make up for it. Offensively, it hits Ghost and Psychic types for super-effective damage, but no type resists both Ghost and Normal.

Hisuian Zorua provides excellent utility to a team with its combination of a high Special Attack stat, unique defensive typing, and its ability to spread burns and Knock Off. It is also one of the foremost users of the Terastillization Phenomena. Thanks to its Normal typing, Hisuian Zorua can use Tera Blast as a STAB move even before Terastallizing to hit Brone League threats like Alolan Grimer and Shroodle. Tera Fighting let it hit Pawniard and provides defensive value by flipping its Dark-type weakness, while Tera Ground additionally allows it to hit Alolan Grimer, Glimmet, and Tinkatink. Hex in combination with Will-O-Wisp's burns does massive damage to even bulkier foes like Mudbray and Toedscool while crippling foes like Drifloon.

Will-O-Wisp helps neutralize physical attackers like Pawniard and Crabrawler and can turn them into setup fodders for other sweepers. Knock Off lets Hisuian Zorua soften up opposing teams and is also its best option for hitting opposing Hisuian Zorua. U-turn is an alternative that lets Hisuian Zorua capitalize on the switches it forces from foes like Drifloon. Nasty Plot is an option on dual-screen teams where Hisuian Zorua can become a threatening sweeper.

Illusion is a highly unique ability that lets Hisuian Zorua create uncomfortable turns for your opponent by disguising as Pokemon whose checks it might beat, and Glimmet and Mudbray appreciate its ability to chip or beat opposing Mudbray and Drifloon, respectively. Pawniard enjoys Hisuian Zorua checking Crabrawler. Hisuian Zorua is often competing with Drifloon for the team's Ghost-type, so it appreciates teammates like Wattrel and Toedscool who can cover for its lack of Ground-type immunity. Crabrawler and Mudbray check opposing Pawniard for Hisuian Zorua when Tera Fight is not an option, and Alolan Grimer, Mudbray, and Croagunk switch into opposing Alolan Grimer.

In summary, Hisuian Zorua’s relatively high offenses allow it to establish a strong field presence and clever use of its illusion ability can only strengthen that advantage; however, trainers must beware its frailty and lackluster bulk.

New Trainers may want to look into an early investment of a Spell Tag or Silk Scarf to enhance their ghost or normal-type moves respectively. On top of its impressive offenses, this may give Hisuan Zorua just the edge it needs to be a major threat in the Bronze League.

Nate worked his jaw after he’d finished the read. That was a lot of information to unpack. He distilled it all to a few salient points: Jue Jue hit hard but didn’t like being hit, her ability to create illusions was a great boon, his next pokémon needed to have an answer to Jue-Jue’s weaknesses. That would be trickier than it first appeared. The Orrean didn’t know how things were for other Hisuan Zorua, but Jue-Jue was like a blank slate, bereft of whatever personality she’d had before dying. In a word, she was naïve and lacked a sense of danger. Nate wasn’t sure how that would play out in combat, but he wanted a Pokémon that could cover that too—something sharp and cunning…

There were many options, even if he limited it to Pokémon who also resisted or were an excellent countermeasure against dark types. Many psychic types were excluded, but some like Meditite remained due to their dual typing. There were also clever fighting types like Mienfoo & Riolu or more defensive Scraggy, Stufful, or Makuhita. There were even the ever-enigmatic fairy-types like Ralts—whose final evolutions both provided an answer to Dark types—or Bronze League powerhouses like Mawile or the early-evolving Azumarill. Nate took notes.

Nate wandered the streets as he organized his thoughts. His research had provided a lot of knowledge and though he hadn’t settled on a second Pokémon, he at least had an idea of the Pokémon he wanted to have. He’d burned down to the last minute of his time at the PC, researching not only what Pokémon he might want, but also tips on catching Pokémon in general. Amongst them was this tidbit—What type of Pokemon should one catch? Older Pokemon can have a harder time acclimatizing to human language and the synchro bond. Although this is not insurmountable, new trainers should consider aiming for the youngest member of a species they can procure. There are a few added benefits for this as well. Younger, weaker, lower-leveled Pokémon will drain less energy, which can be crucial to trainers who haven’t been trained beforehand to manage the strain of multiple Pokémon. The benefits are two-fold because the growth of these younger Pokémon will also allow them to achieve peer-parity more quickly...

He couldn’t have asked for better advice. Nate knew that he wasn’t trained by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, his Fortitude might even be weaker than others on account of his poorer upbringing. If he wanted to make the best use of this opportunity, he’d need to grasp every advantage he could find. He also didn’t have the luxury to aim too high with his first captures, after all, that ‘slap on the wrist’ had cost him quite a bit nonetheless.

The boy sighed and checked his card—$3,975.

That would have to do. He’d find a pokémart,, buy some supplies and then look for a team. As he’d learned in the Pokécenter, a team of at least three was required to tackle the Bronze League. Nate could only hope he wouldn’t be saddled with any slackers…

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:05 a.m. – July 1st

Fight Area – Battle Zone

Girlfriend? The words of the Orrean guy raddled in her head for a moment. Her eyes narrowed to a dangerous glare on him as he skittered himself off to the Pokémon Center. Such an annoying assumption. Then again there isn't much she could do about it. Let the idiot think whatever he wants. Not like she'd have to worry about it. At least not right now. Right this moment she had more pressing issues.

Looking back to Draven she leveled him with a look of quiet warning. "We will not be speaking about what he assumed after what I am about to say. I have no interest in anyone in the way he insinuated. Just so we are perfectly clear I find it to be a waste of time, especially when my future hangs in the balance. That is all that will be said about it." With her piece said she makes her way to the pokemart.

Once inside she begins to way her options. As of now she has little to no reason to buy pokeballs or anything extremely expensive other than food for herself and Lukina. She did have a few days worth in her bag but it couldn't hurt to ensure she doesn't have to resort to the survival training methods she cooked up while setting up her plans. She didn't like the idea of roasting bug Pokémon nor the idea of eating Pokémon in general. Also allowing Lukina to eat Pokémon she beats would have a negative impact. Though she supposes it would be a good way to save money the thought of it made her grimace. Drastic measures like that should be a last resort but it would be better if Lukina had her hunger sated by eating other Pokémon rather than humans or Zera herself.

She went on auto pilot as she wondered the mart looking over things that may have some use but seemed to be either extremely expensive or just bordering on expensive enough to cause an inconvenience. Her mind, sadly continued to wonder on darker topics. The pokeball display caught her attention, dust lined the outside of the display case and it was bolted shut. Those balls could be considered a relics of happier and simpler times. It made her snort, they were probably the same balls she remembers seeing years ago before the incident. "Having old things like this on display feels like they are taunting us. I don't doubt those are pre-sync pokeballs." She says quietly before moving to more practical things. Picking up some rope and containers of food and water. She hums looking down at her footwear. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a spare pair of boots but her current ones should hold out for another few months. She shakes her head and moves towards the checkout, picking up some personal care odds and ends along the way.

Once she got everything rang up she displayed her trainer I.D. to the clerk who swiped it and handed it back. She put the stuff inside her dufflebag and leaned by the door. She'd need to wait for a bit anyway. They'd need a third person if she and Draven wanted to leave town anyway. It wouldn't be a bad idea to snatch up someone who comes into the mart on their own. She'd just wait for a bit and watch for someone who is making tactical and or strategic purchases. The smarter the choices the more likely she'd get them to come with.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:07 a.m. – July 1st

PokeMart, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven Davidson

Draven looked up at Zera, nodding as he also wanted to go just as quickly. Trying to get a Trapinch at night was going to be hell in a handbag and he didn't want to deal with the nocturnal pests, even if his Hoothoot was more suited for nocturnal pursuits. It was only when Nate called Zera his girlfriend did he cough. What? He watched the man leave with an incredulous look, sighing as he readied himself for a long day.

He nodded as Zera made her point. "I know, I'm not interested either." Maybe a bit blunt, but that was to let her know he wasn't interested in strong women like her. It just wasn't his preference.

He followed Zera to the PokeMart, going over things he needed, as well. In all honesty, he was told he couldn't get anything from home if it ever helped him in the league except for some essentials, like hygiene and toiletries, a change of clothes, some items used in need of emergencies, and a few other miscellaneous items that made things easier. His phone, of course, did not have the Rotom inside of it, but that could be rearranged. He might actually need one, considering it could actually save him from doing something stupid - or so he heard from passing individuals.

He needed a couple PokeBalls. Nay, maybe five just in case they are duds. Plus, he can use them to give himself ample time by letting a Pokemon struggle to break free before doing so. That would already be $1,000 down the drain, but he needed them. He already had everything he needed for survival in general. Now, came Potions. He'd need at least three to start off with, so that was going to be $900. $1,900 was going to have to be the damage. He can't afford anything else. He needed to save $150 to stay the night at a Pokemon Center, and he needed to save $100 for when he needed to take a ship to get off this island.

So, his budget currently sat at $250, and his item cost right now was $1,900. Since his parents helped pay for the plane ride here, now had $3,100 left. That was okay. That was enough for food later.

He also bought his food, forking over the money even if it pained him. He really needed to do those PokeJobs.

Once he put the Pokeballs in a pocket on the side of his backpack and set the potions in the other side pocket, he walked out of the store and leaned against a wall, his arms crossed as he released his Hoothoot. She needed some fresh air anyway.

In a flash of light, the Hoothoot looked around, almost as if in a daze. The poor thing looked absolutely sick, but after being able to see where the sun was, her internal clock seemed to get closer to the actual time of the region they were in. Draven teased the connection with her, feeling her gathering her bearings, her mind silent for right now as she watched the sky and the sun, her head twitching side to side in an abnormal rate of speed before the movements slowly became measured in her ticks, Draven calming at the sight of his Hoothoot handling her first jet lag.

"Hungry..." Was the only thing Draven heard in his head. He was starting to feel a little weak as well, considering Ma'a was taking some more of his energy. Sitting down, he pulled out a jar of kibble and held it out for Ma'a, who began to greedily eat away at it until the top layer of kibble was reduced to nothing but crumbs. Draven pulled it away, gauged how much they had for later, and put it back in his backpack.

"Satisfied... Thank you..." Ma'a extended her gratitude in a feeling, something that had Draven smile.

"You're welcome." He pet Ma'a's forehead, earning a happy trill.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

8:02 -> 9:20 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:
PokéMart, Fight Area – Battle Zone

The Battle Zone PokéMart. As one might expect, a disproportionally large number of battle items, training items, and niche berries options lined the shelves. Unfamiliar names and items were all around: Charti Berry, Figy Berry, Salac Berry… Covert Cloak, Clear Amulet, Lagging Tail… Nate rubbed his chin thoughtfully but didn’t linger. As interesting as these items were, they weren’t what Nate was looking for. The Orean checked his notes and— “Shadow Tag & Silk Scarf?”

Those were the recommended items for Jue-Jue: they enhanced the power of Ghost & Normal-type offensive moves respectively and the increase was by about 20%. For whatever reason, they had no effect whatsoever on non-offensive/non-damaging moves like Growl, Spite, or Leer. Their function was obvious—enable Pokémon to do more damage. How they accomplished this was less so. The Spell Tag made sense in a ‘it was obviously some kind of magic inscription’ kind of way, but how the Silk Scarf managed to empower Pokémon was beyond Nate’s understanding. It appeared to be completely normal Silk. He’d heard Silk was quality material but…yesh.!

Nate wandered over to the helpfully named ‘Scarf Isle’ and began his search: Red Scarf, Choice Scarf, Pink Scarf, Harmony Scarf, Scarf Scarf…Ah! Finally, Silk Scarf! Nate glanced down and the price and was …confused. How many zeros was that? That…couldn’t…be right. He looked around the PokéMart, spotting several ambling trainers and eventually spotting a Mart-Worker whom he flagged down.

“Hi! I think there’s a mistake with this price tag. Maybe it got switched with another item?”

The Mart-Worker looked mildly surprised and bent to inspect the price tag. After a moment, the Worker snapped their fingers in epiphany—“You’re right! This price tag is wrong. Sorry about that, this discount ended yesterday. Happy shopping!”

“Oh… yeah... Thanks…”

Apparently, Nate was even poorer than he thought. He finished up his shopping with two Pokéballs and two Potions. A clean one-thousand-dollar bill; and, frankly, Nate wasn’t sure he could make use of much more than that. Nate had found a few simple tests to estimate his fortitude levels and his were…low. Lower than even the average trainer. If Jue-Jue hadn’t been the equivalent of a newborn, then he might not have been able to bond her at all. A second Pokémon was—sadly—beyond his ability to sustain. He would need to correct years of malnutrition and poor lifestyle choices before he could even achieve parity with other trainers.

Nate sighed and put away his trainer card.

Before he could leave the Battle Zone, he would need to find a team. Luckily, he spotted a pair of familiar faces—the couple from the docks. There wasn’t a third person with them, and Nate smelt opportunity.

“Hello again, fancy meeting again so soon. Do you two already have a third teammate? If not, why do we form a trio? If you’re alright with it, I don’t mind third-wheeling..”

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:25 a.m. – July 1st

Fight Area – Battle Zone

Her eyes glided over a few people as minutes ticked on. Searching for who seemed passable as the third member. The problem is the ones that were notable and had general competence were already snapped up by either leeches or by others that seemed competent.

She clicked her tongue looking down to her left at Draven, if she hadn't already practically agreed to help the guy she would have already left with one of the two competent pairs she saw over the past five minutes. No use whining about it, she'd just have to whip whoever she got her hands on into shape. If anything that might be better, they won't have any preconceived notions that are detrimental.

However as if lord Arceus himself wants to torture her with further misfortune. The one person that would be less than ideal, walked right up and started talking. '-sigh- Well, beggers can't be choosers. I'll just have to take what I can get.' "Okay... But if I'm going to be teaming up with the two of you in a more permanent basis... I will be getting the two of you in shape. You both are like wet tissue paper. I could fold you both in half with just one hand. It doesn't matter how you both got this way be it uncontrolable circumstances or lack of capability. The League isn't a joke and several die or drop out every year. Either they ended up catching more Pokémon than their bodies could handle and got eaten alive or surrendered because they weren't truly ready for this within the first few weeks."

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:26 a.m. – July 1st

PokeMart, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven Davidson

Fate was either being kind and generous or was being a bitch, because the next person they saw who seemed good enough was the guy they saw back at the dock. Draven's expression became flat, and he let out a sigh as the guy was insinuating that they were dating. Again.

It seemed that Zera wasn't all for this either.

Zera's warning was correct, they really did seem like frail toothpicks. Draven nodded, his arms crossed as his Hoothoot fluttered about beside him. "Yeah, I don't intend to stay flimsy forever. Also, quit talking like she and I are a couple." He looked squarely at Nate. "It's pissing me off. We just met." His tone was just as biting as the glare he sent towards Nate. He wasn't going to be some pushover either.

His Hoothoot hooted up at him, and he sighed at he mental connection he reestablished with her to hear her words. Hey, please relax. It's obvious the guy's been through a lot.

"Well, he doesn't need to be making assumptions with complete strangers who could be helping him." Draven retorted to the thought in his head aloud, his Hoothoot sighing as she shook her head at Draven's abrasiveness.

"I don't intend on getting myself killed out there either. All I need is a Trapinch, and that's it. I'll be fine for a few gyms." He said, laying down his goal so as to make sure he and nobody else got sidetracked doing anything else.

Draven started on the path towards the route, looking back at Nate and Zera. "Also, I'd like to know what kinds of Pokemon you two have, so I can properly figure out what we're all capable of."

The Hoothoot trilled again, apparently complimenting Draven for something, only what Draven was truly aware of. Hey, there's the smart, cool-headed Draven I know~. Draven groaned.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

Last edited:

They had just met? As Nate recalled, he had met the duo by the docks. They had been seated on a bench while staring at the ocean or something. That didn’t exactly sound like ‘we just met’, weird, but whatever.

Nate shrugged, “My bad.”

Just like that, he was on the team. That was…easier than he’d expected, but y’know what they say—don’t look a gift Ponyta in the mouth. Nate slipped his fingers into his pockets and trudged along, wearing a smile tinged with amusement as Zera commented on how easily she could ‘fold them’. The girl was built like her mother had a special fondness for Machoke, so Nate didn’t doubt her words. He’d read that fitness and health contributed to a trainer’s pool of fortitude, so he certainly wasn’t against shaping up, especially if this girl knew what she was doing.

You’d think with all their talk of readiness, they’d have called a team meeting or something to go over all their needs and requirements. But no, they were instead gonna hit the road straight away. Guess they already had their inventory in order? They had just walked out of the PokéMart, so that would make sense.

When the topic turned to Pokémon, Nate decided to be proactive—“This is Jue-Jue the Zorua, she's…uhhh.” The boy trailed off as he eyed his ‘partner’ who was determinedly dragging her ass across the dirt with an oddly blissful expression. A quick smack of the lips brought Nate back on track. “She’ll be a powerhouse in no time.”

Base Code by Ambiloquous

Fight Area – Battle Zone

Zera hummed as she followed along after the two watching them. She had the feeling she was forgetting something as she kept walking. With a click of her tongue against her teeth she turned her head and looked out at the ocean as she kept up. It was sitting right at the tip of her tongue. She should know this place better, but it was inevitable that there would be changes. She took note of a bus station not too far down the street. She definitely didn't remember that being there the last time she was here. It has been years, so it makes sense that stuff would change.

The changes however were made clear when she made it to the water after about ten minutes of walking. They were outside town and being greeted by the glimmering ocean waves that stand between them and the Resort Area. 'Crap-baskets.... I remember now. Old man Walter used to ferry people across with his Lapras.' A slightly saddened look crosses Zera's face as she looks at an old, dilapidated sign. She clenched her fists till her knuckles turned white and she turned away from the water. "We better catch a bus and go around. I let myself forget, there isn't anyone here to help anymore." She shook her head banishing the sad look from her face and put on the indifferent mask from earlier in the day. "To make up for letting us get this far I'll buy the tickets for the first leg of the trip." With that said she headed back towards town.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:26 a.m. – July 1st

PokeMart -> Bus Stop, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven Davidson

Huh, he shut up...

Honestly, that meant a few things. He was pretty much fake - a persona crafted for some dastardly reason, or it could be he's a follower and not a leader. With how scrappy he looked, that didn't seem to be the case, however...

Now, Draven was starting to get suspicious of Nate. Then again, they could really use Nate, if he played fair with them, of course. And that also meant that Draven needed to offer something to the table. Zera's contribution was extremely easy. It seemed she was far more knowledgeable about battling, training, and Fortitude in general. Draven had book-smarts, and Nate seemed to have street-smarts by the looks of him. Zera was just the muscle and was battle-smart.

Hm, he guessed they could work pretty good as a team if they all figured each other out.

Now, at the mention of Nate's Zorua, he looked over and huffed in amusement at the thing scratching an itch. "I hope so." Ma'a hooted in confusion, unsure why a creature would do something so unsightly unless it was a literal baby. Draven had to keep himself from laughing, shaking his head in amusement as he walked towards the area where they needed to go.

It was when they made it to the route did they realize it had water. Draven's expression fell flat, and what made it worse was that he forgot to grab that damned Rotom that was given to him when he registered. Groaning, Draven slammed his hand in his forehead.

Hearing Zera was going to pay for the buses, he nodded. "Thanks, you two go on ahead, I'll be right back. Meet you at the bus stop." With that, he ran off, his Hoothoot flying after him as he ran back the way they came and into the PokeMart.

After a quick identification and making sure he was who he was, he finally got the darned Rotom that was supposed to be given to him when he registered, but his father allowed him to grab it when he flew to Fight Area first. How was he that stupid to forget it...?

With his Rotom'd phone in his pocket, he ran right back out, remembering the bus stop on their way to the route and heading towards it, hoping it hadn't left yet.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:25 -> 9:30 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:

Nate blinked and stared at his would-be teammates. Not because the duo he’d just joined had just taken a wrong turn as their very first step—a sign that would no doubt bode well for the rest of their journey, but…actually, that first part was very concerning, but it was also beside the point. The real reason Nate stared was because after he’d cheerfully introduced his own Pokémon (as per their request), the two had proceeded to not do the same. Had he just been duped?

Come to think of it, these two did act like scammers. They kept talking without really explaining what they were going to do. The guy wanted to catch a Trapinch. Cool. How were they going to do that? Where did they find Trapinch? Nate assumed the mention of a bus-stop meant they’d be taking a bus to some other location but…didn’t they think to inform him first? It was like they have some kind of tacit communication—as if they’d known each other for years and were able to act and speak in half-actions and half-thoughts, leaving any onlookers woefully confused. They weren’t beating the allegations.

As Draven ran off, Nate organized his thoughts. He didn’t want to repeat himself, so he waited for the other boy to come return.

“You two need to hold your horses, I don’t know what you agreed on before, but if I’m going to be part of this group, I’d like to stay informed. Why don’t you clue me in on where we’re going and then on the way there we can continue with introductions?”

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:31 a.m. – July 1st

Fight Area – Battle Zone

Zera paused and looked at Nate, she gave him a flat look after buying the tickets for Nate, Draven, and herself for the bus. Even if her face was blank, her body language spoke a lot louder. She was uncomfortable and this place had a strong effect on her even if she was trying to keep herself aloof and indifferent. Taking a deep breath she spoke, "Zera Quinn... that is my name." She walks a few more steps from where she was and hands him his ticket and leans forward to talk quieter. "Lukina, my Buneary is very excitable and has a hunger for battle and training making her a handful to deal with. She would likely think that your Pokémon is her newest 'playmate'. That wouldn't exactly end well and a trip to the Pokémon Center would be necessary for both our Pokémon." She steps back to give Nate space while she watches the Zorua. "I wanted to have a more private setting to talk about this. This is a competition, even if do end up traveling with one another or not. We are challengers to the same contest. I am going to play my cards close for as long as I can."

She didn't deem waiting for Nate's response, however. The bus wouldn't be here for another minute or two, so in the idea of keeping herself busy she got down and started doing really slow and timed push-ups with her right leg crossing her left at the ankle. She might as well train her body while she waited. Just because she was going on a journey now doesn't mean she should slack on her regimen and it gave her some time to think up of one for Draven. The guy was going to need to put meat on his bones if he was going to survive this. The same could be said for Nate. She wouldn't be surprised if they dropped to the ground exhausted or worse unconscious after about five moves used by their partners.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:32 a.m. – July 1st

Bus Stop, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Draven Davidson

Draven had been in his own head this entire time that he didn't realize he completely forgot to introduce himself. He's been all but rude with Nate and - even if it was a little bit deserved - he didn't need to be that big of a dick. His Hoothoot was right, he was a bit much. He could hear the smug trill in his head of the 'I told you soo~.' He groaned.

Once he made it back, Nate asked. Oh, he had the courtesy to wait for him to get back to answer the question?

He let Zera talk, as he had to catch his breath from his light jog. So, she had a Buneary, and it was very excitable and hungry for battle. That's... Cool. It was true though, once they got to Silver or Gold (he couldn't remember), they didn't need each other anymore.

Unless, they decided to stay in a group.

He raised an eyebrow as he noted Zera exercising. He sighed, walking up to Nate with an apologetic look on his face. "Erm... Sorry. Been stuck in my head all day and I thought I did so already. Didn't mean to forget. Name's Draven. I have a Hoothoot, and she's named Ma'a. I'm going to Route 228 to get a Trapinch, and we needed a group if we wanted to leave town. If what I read is true though about Fortitude and all that, Trapinch might make me pass out. Which is why I'll need help. Of course, I'll be a lot more helpful with whatever you and Zera need unlike how I've been acting these past several minutes." He chuckled wearily.

He looked at Zera, then at Nate. "We can plan this out for later, but I wouldn't mind if we stuck with each other as a group during the Silver and Gold ranks. Oh, you good with money and budgeting?" He asked Nate. "I can do it, but I hate it. I bring the book and survival knowledge and she probably has the practical and training knowledge, considering she's from here."

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:32 a.m. – July 1st

Bus Stop, Fight Area – Battle Zone

Was that…a threat?

Nathanael was…surprised. He’d thought he’d left Orre far behind, he thought he’d left behind that culture of criminal violence and yet, here he was—his first day in Sinnoh and already some muscle-bound idiot was up-in-his face, talking out her arse. How…familiar. Orre hadn’t been a nice place; and his hometown of Pyrite was a cesspool even among the sulky boroughs. The gritty undercity churned up a corpse every week; Nate hadn’t just survived in that city, he’d thrived—called it home, and made a small but comfortable living for himself. He hadn’t done that by being a push-over.

It looked like people were the same no matter where you went—give an inch and they’d take a mile. The boy’s soft, half-hearted smile concealed daggers. He knew how to deal with this type… As Zera stepped back and dropped into push-up form, Nate’s eyes were on her back with conspiratorial intent. It wouldn’t be easy to act against her without tripping the Rotom residing in their devices, but the former gangster was familiar with ‘leave no traces’. He already had an accident or two in mind, he’d just need to—“HISSSS!!!”

Phantom lights danced across the pavement, illuminating the area in sunset hues. And yet, the setting sun was hours away.

『 Where…I…Who…GRRRR!

Nate’s eyes snapped over to Jue-Jue. The fox no-longer sported an expression of feckless imbecility; her fur billowed, chased by ruby ghost-lights, the promise of violence in her eyes. The Orrean blanched—his fortitude suddenly dwindling at speed. The moment passed swiftly; sharp, jerky movements precipitating Jue-Jue’s sudden collapse.

Draven returned shortly afterward but Nate only passively absorbed his words, far too occupied with his own thoughts. He had returned Jue-Jue to her Pokéball soon after she collapsed and not long after that the 9:45 bus had arrived. At any other time, Nate would’ve gazed out the windows, admiring the environment as it blurred past, but now the boy immersed himself in the sensation of his Synchro Bond. Whatever Jue-Jue had done, the effect it had on their bond was profound—and Nate intended to figure it out.

Base Code by Ambiloquous

9:33 a.m. – July 1st

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back