• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokémon OOC/Planning

Main
Here
Sorry, I think I didn't word that well. I meant what from the thread do you want me to copy-paste over to here so you can access is right now? But I will make a point of putting things here instead now >.<

Sorry, I think I didn't word that well. I meant what from the thread do you want me to copy-paste over to here so you can access is right now? But I will make a point of putting things here instead now >.<
Ah, just the long one you just did. Also, any character information would be useful here too. I have some stuff saved, but it'll be easier to access things here with the bookmarks.

Ah, just the long one you just did. Also, any character information would be useful here too. I have some stuff saved, but it'll be easier to access things here with the bookmarks.
Ah, okay, cool. I'll copy that over, and since I really need to make a better written-out summary of my character and their story I'll wait to repost any of that and just rewrite it all updated in one post

Repost:

My idea sort of stems from an idea I had left over from when I tried to create a Pokemon world of my own for a group of friends. As I said before I'm super into the fantastical landscapes, and I had some from then that I still adore and would love to see if they appeal to you all enough to consider adding a version of them >.<

Essentially the way I think it would boil down to in this world/context, since it generally doesn't seem to have too crazy environments, is that locales surrounding a powerful magic locus are altered into something entirely unfathomable in our mundane world. This locus could be natural, like a magical wellspring, or attached to a powerful or legendary Pokemon, who essentially molds the area it inhabits into its domain. And the regions created by these loci could be stationary or perhaps travel over time when their locus moves, with the speed of change/reversion potentially being slow, like natural ecosystem regeneration, or extremely fast, through magical reversion. I think these kind of fantastic hotspots would make for some fascinating locales where some really interesting encounters could occur, or story elements could be drawn.

So, the two that I had left over from before that I would love to see work in this world I had tentatively called the Gloaming Greatwood and the Cradle of Stars.

The former is a stretch of thick, deep forest with plants dyed deep shades of maroon, midnight purple, and deep indigo. The air has the feeling of being heavy and thick, and shadows seem to perpetually creep into your peripheral vision. Sounds seem to be muffled by the time they reach your ears, and even the movement of the leaves in a breeze that can't be felt registers as far away and unclear. Those that have traveled inside this zone note that it takes only a few minutes for the mental effects to begin to manifest; drowsiness, loss of sense of direction, poor attention, and eventual descent into slumber occur and increase in severity over the course of several hours, and when the individual finally awakes, they find themselves back in the woods from whence they came. Though many try, none have ever seen more than a fleeting glimpse of the one said to rule this land: a billowing humanoid silhouette with faded white hair,and one eye burning somewhere deep in the crimson shade.
In the context of this world, I think this could be a small location that disappears and reappears within the large wooded area that we all call home. I mysterious place of eerie power that even the best of the rangers have barely been able to interact with, that vanishes without a trace just as quickly as it appears. I also thought maybe this could be the place that my character's family could have come from: a hidden village in the murky wood, hosting a small population of loyal followers protected by the lord of the region and the locus of its magic, Darkrai. I have more thoughts about this hidden village and how it can tie into my character's family, history, and partial motivation to explore, but I think I'll save that for a moment since the focus of this is supposed to be more on the locales I have to share.
Oh, and here's the image and music that first made me think of this area, in case it seems interesting >-<

The latter, the Cradle of Stars, was imagined as a place far, far to the north, beyond the reach of most of civilization, and known only to the few who have chosen to remain where the light of the heavens glide above the land deep into the night. Only accessible through the frozen caves weaving through the rime-bitten cliffs, the Cradle is an enormous spiraling crater dotted with the ruins of a lost world and set aglow by immense crystal spires that erupt from the snowy earth. The sky cannot be seen through the blanket of dark grey clouds hanging perpetually overhead, yet despite this and the light snowfall that floats along the oddly gentle wind, the stars appear to be clearly visible above. The sight looking out across the crater is said to be perhaps the most beautiful in the world, the light from the crystals shimmering and reflecting off the snow and clouds, creating a soft and beautiful glow that is always shifting like the stars above. It is said that within the enormous crystal structure lying at the crater's very center lies dormant a creature that can grant the pure of heart their greatest desire, yet the sheer danger of first reaching the Cradle and then descending to its deepest point has led to few who have even seen the place returning to whisper of it with faint, awe-steeped longing in their voices.
This area was designed to be one of the last places the players would be able to travel to, but one that would have special meaning to one of them in particular. Here, though, I think the place could fit into the icy mountains that might be to the north, or perhaps it may even be located north across the sea in a land almost untouched by current civilization. It can be a place that my character sees in her dreams and feels a calling towards. Perhaps it was special to her people or her parents, and she feels a need to go there to discover something? Perhaps the slumbering Jirachi reaches out for inscrutable reasons, speaking cryptically to her when she visits in her sleep? Or none of those and something else Undead comes up with. We may never see or reach the place anyway, but it's one I have a deep attachment to in my mind and I would love to see it brought to life when I couldn't manage to do it myself.
And here's the music that I listened to while imagining the feelings associated with this hauntingly beautiful environment.

Or maybe these are bad ideas altogether, but maybe Undead could find a use for them anyway. And if not, I would understand too. But thinking about places like this gives me life and if I can bring a little of that to this little world we're creating and make it special like that, then I would love to >-<

So short version: special otherworldly locations that are powered by a strong magical locus, Pokemon or otherwise. They could have story or world significance, or just inspire awe and illustrate the incredible ways Pokemon can shape the world around them. Just an idea that can be moved in whatever direction seems most beneficial to what we want from the world, with a couple examples I pulled from past imaginings and how I think they might fit into this world and/or my own character's story.

Wisteria- Deep within the sprawling Etherwild forest sits the village of Wisteria, a bastion of mankind that has let itself become one with the natural wonder around it. Situated at the foot of a greater Etherwild oak the settlement is host to roughly 2000 people, and comprised entirely of what the forest provides. Grass magic has been used to influence the growth of trees and bushes in such a way that Wisteria has a natural barrier of interwoven vegetation separating it from outsiders, and regular patrols trace the wooden walkways that run all the way along the top of this wall of trees. Once inside the village you’ll find most of the architecture is about as rustic as you’d expect, constructed from fallen trees and with beautifully thatched roofs. Mostly just adorable cottages. Many local species are welcome in Wisteria and you’ll struggle to find a single home without Burmy or Wormadam nesting in the eaves. Friendly grass type species such as the Lilligant, Whimsicott, Jumpluff and Flapple/ Appletun family come and go through Wisteria as they please. Bug type Pokemon make for common partners here as well and those that remain wild are welcomed provided they don’t pose any threat. A lone river winds through the village, shallow enough that there’s little risk of drowning but deep enough to fish for smaller species. Barboach in particular is considered a delicacy here.

The concentrated grass type magic in Wisteria has been amplified by the extensive use of runes and now local plant species have absorbed so much of it that they’ve began to show visual mutations. Species that aren’t usually bioluminescent are known to glow softly at night here and plants manage to reach sizes that far exceed their usual limits. The array of biological night lights have led to swarms of Venomoth, Mothim and Dustox descending upon the village once dusk falls, flitting around the branches that form a canopy far above the homes below.

Rangers- Rangers are tasked with defending Wisteria from outsiders and belligerent wild Pokemon, but also extend their duties to defending the balance of the forest as a whole. Helping those who need to pass through Etherwild do so without bringing harm to themselves or the forest and fending off poachers and other outsiders with less than savoury goals. Many areas of Etherwild forest are considered too dangerous for your average person to visit so it’s up to Rangers and their partner Pokemon to venture in and make sure everything is as it should be. They also do the majority of the hunting for Wisteria, and show the utmost respect for the Pokemon they put down.

Wisteria- Deep within the sprawling Etherwild forest sits the village of Wisteria, a bastion of mankind that has let itself become one with the natural wonder around it. Situated at the foot of a greater Etherwild oak the settlement is host to roughly 2000 people, and comprised entirely of what the forest provides. Grass magic has been used to influence the growth of trees and bushes in such a way that Wisteria has a natural barrier of interwoven vegetation separating it from outsiders, and regular patrols trace the wooden walkways that run all the way along the top of this wall of trees. Once inside the village you’ll find most of the architecture is about as rustic as you’d expect, constructed from fallen trees and with beautifully thatched roofs. Mostly just adorable cottages. Many local species are welcome in Wisteria and you’ll struggle to find a single home without Burmy or Wormadam nesting in the eaves. Friendly grass type species such as the Lilligant, Whimsicott, Jumpluff and Flapple/ Appletun family come and go through Wisteria as they please. Bug type Pokemon make for common partners here as well and those that remain wild are welcomed provided they don’t pose any threat. A lone river winds through the village, shallow enough that there’s little risk of drowning but deep enough to fish for smaller species. Barboach in particular is considered a delicacy here.

The concentrated grass type magic in Wisteria has been amplified by the extensive use of runes and now local plant species have absorbed so much of it that they’ve began to show visual mutations. Species that aren’t usually bioluminescent are known to glow softly at night here and plants manage to reach sizes that far exceed their usual limits. The array of biological night lights have led to swarms of Venomoth, Mothim and Dustox descending upon the village once dusk falls, flitting around the branches that form a canopy far above the homes below.

Rangers- Rangers are tasked with defending Wisteria from outsiders and belligerent wild Pokemon, but also extend their duties to defending the balance of the forest as a whole. Helping those who need to pass through Etherwild do so without bringing harm to themselves or the forest and fending off poachers and other outsiders with less than savoury goals. Many areas of Etherwild forest are considered too dangerous for your average person to visit so it’s up to Rangers and their partner Pokemon to venture in and make sure everything is as it should be. They also do the majority of the hunting for Wisteria, and show the utmost respect for the Pokemon they put down.
I loved that description! <3 It also gives me several options to encourage Bearach to venture deeper into the forest with Echo's character.

asphodelus asphodelus So, I'm assuming that all it'll take to get your character to leave is for the others to just ask you to join them? Is any further motivation required?

Also, I'm working on the story. I've got the evil team in mind already. I'm making one up. Got their name and motivations in mind already. I'm thinking they are more of a secret organization, so few may have heard of them. I think I'll keep it generally under wraps and reveal them through the story, unless y'all wanna know now anyways? Also, I feel like Echo has a large part already, so if either Gnome or Asphodelus wants, perhaps your character can be an investigative type? Or have family tied to the evil team? Just an idea.

As for the general setting of the land, I'm thinking there are severral large kingdoms. Nothing like the villages of our charracters. I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4. These kingdoms each rule over one part of the continent. One for the forest, and a few more for other lands. There can be type themed lands, like a desert for ground, a land of lakes for water, etc. Anyways, the several kingdoms are, generally, not very morally conscious. They tend to go to war with other kingdoms, trying to obtain more land and power.

This creates a lot of strife for many towns and villages. There's a lot of hunger and poverty and, as a result, crime. Highwaymen and bandits and the like.

As the party travels around, they'll learn about the evil team and also have to deal with issues of the multiple warring kingdoms. What do y'all think?

I loved that description! <3 It also gives me several options to encourage Bearach to venture deeper into the forest with Echo's character.

asphodelus asphodelus So, I'm assuming that all it'll take to get your character to leave is for the others to just ask you to join them? Is any further motivation required?

Also, I'm working on the story. I've got the evil team in mind already. I'm making one up. Got their name and motivations in mind already. I'm thinking they are more of a secret organization, so few may have heard of them. I think I'll keep it generally under wraps and reveal them through the story, unless y'all wanna know now anyways? Also, I feel like Echo has a large part already, so if either Gnome or Asphodelus wants, perhaps your character can be an investigative type? Or have family tied to the evil team? Just an idea.

As for the general setting of the land, I'm thinking there are severral large kingdoms. Nothing like the villages of our charracters. I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4. These kingdoms each rule over one part of the continent. One for the forest, and a few more for other lands. There can be type themed lands, like a desert for ground, a land of lakes for water, etc. Anyways, the several kingdoms are, generally, not very morally conscious. They tend to go to war with other kingdoms, trying to obtain more land and power.

This creates a lot of strife for many towns and villages. There's a lot of hunger and poverty and, as a result, crime. Highwaymen and bandits and the like.

As the party travels around, they'll learn about the evil team and also have to deal with issues of the multiple warring kingdoms. What do y'all think?
That all sounds good to me. If you're happy with what you're pulling together I'll probably be happy too ^^

No further motivation required! Well, the others would need a reason to ask and approach him specifically; if he gets the sense that they just want a random traveller to come with them for protection or whatnot, he'd simply suggest one of the more outgoing and able-bodied residents of Cysgœd.

I think you may have a misconception that Corbrân's a hermit-type. He actually knows the forest quite well; he'll disappear from the tower for up to a week at a time while acquainting himself with the woods. It's part of his role as the ravenmaster to keep up a connection with the more organised/intelligent forest 'mons, so. He's rather reserved though, keeps away from crowds and people in pure introverted fashion. He's likely been to at least the nearest town once, just to see what it's like compared to his.

Corbrân's role is sort of similar to that of a ranger, but with more focus on being an ambassador between the flock, forest 'mons, and Cysgœd, and he has no duty to protect outsiders. The flock will hunt down poachers without anyone's signal; most forest 'mons in Corbrân's territory are aggressive or at least wary towards strangers. Corbrân's job is to appease them, settle disputes, and occasionally point the maenor guard in the right direction if any 'mons are making a menace of themselves.
Not family. Investigative, maybe? What do you mean by that? Corbrân's curious, but he keeps it to himself; if you want him to direct the group into investigating the secret organisation, that won't happen unless they become a threat and everyone else  needs to know. I'm good with not knowing much about out resident bad guys, unless you think Corbrân would have heard of them? If they focus on using magic to enslave pokémon, anything dark or psychic related, or if they're utilising huge amounts of power, then there's a chance Corbrân would have noticed.

Until we get way further into the roleplay, I'd suggest to keep things on the smaller side. Depends on how fast we're moving though. I feel like we should have the first arc/chapter focusing simply on the forest and its towns since that's what seems to be most developed so far, and there's huge variety, lots to explore; and so we can get a feel for group dynamics before being thrown into the larger plot? And from there, then we can move out and introduce the kingdoms. Since our characters don't seem very political and likely wouldn't be keeping up with all the large scale stuff anyhow, just what directly effects them.

Anyhow, I'll be getting my stuff up over the weekend; I need to revamp a few of the notes and make them more comprehensible. I'm good with everything you've mentioned — you seem rather excited about all this, and I'm enjoying it. Good vibes. XD

No further motivation required! Well, the others would need a reason to ask and approach him specifically; if he gets the sense that they just want a random traveller to come with them for protection or whatnot, he'd simply suggest one of the more outgoing and able-bodied residents of Cysgœd.

I think you may have a misconception that Corbrân's a hermit-type. He actually knows the forest quite well; he'll disappear from the tower for up to a week at a time while acquainting himself with the woods. It's part of his role as the ravenmaster to keep up a connection with the more organised/intelligent forest 'mons, so. He's rather reserved though, keeps away from crowds and people in pure introverted fashion. He's likely been to at least the nearest town once, just to see what it's like compared to his.

Corbrân's role is sort of similar to that of a ranger, but with more focus on being an ambassador between the flock, forest 'mons, and Cysgœd, and he has no duty to protect outsiders. The flock will hunt down poachers without anyone's signal; most forest 'mons in Corbrân's territory are aggressive or at least wary towards strangers. Corbrân's job is to appease them, settle disputes, and occasionally point the maenor guard in the right direction if any 'mons are making a menace of themselves.

Not family. Investigative, maybe? What do you mean by that? Corbrân's curious, but he keeps it to himself; if you want him to direct the group into investigating the secret organisation, that won't happen unless they become a threat and everyone else  needs to know. I'm good with not knowing much about out resident bad guys, unless you think Corbrân would have heard of them? If they focus on using magic to enslave pokémon, anything dark or psychic related, or if they're utilising huge amounts of power, then there's a chance Corbrân would have noticed.

Until we get way further into the roleplay, I'd suggest to keep things on the smaller side. Depends on how fast we're moving though. I feel like we should have the first arc/chapter focusing simply on the forest and its towns since that's what seems to be most developed so far, and there's huge variety, lots to explore; and so we can get a feel for group dynamics before being thrown into the larger plot? And from there, then we can move out and introduce the kingdoms. Since our characters don't seem very political and likely wouldn't be keeping up with all the large scale stuff anyhow, just what directly effects them.

Anyhow, I'll be getting my stuff up over the weekend; I need to revamp a few of the notes and make them more comprehensible. I'm good with everything you've mentioned — you seem rather excited about all this, and I'm enjoying it. Good vibes. XD
No worries. I'm not trying to get into continental stories yet. More just establishing the lay of the land. Simply so there's some background knowledge for any characters that know more about the world than their immediate surroundings. For example, anyone who's seen a map or something. And large kingdoms warring with each other also tends to have widespread consequences. It's not going to play any major role in the characters' lives at the moment. Kinda like how we, in the real world, know of the existence of other countries, and maybe even some of their relations, but they don't really affect us in our daily lives.

And no one needs any relation or reason to know of the evil team. I just wanted to suggest it as something, if anyone wanted a connection to them.

I also have the reason the others will seek you out planned. No worries there either. And thank you for giving further description on Cobrân's motivations and duties. That helps.

I also have a basic outline of the main story. So we just need to work on everyone's characters until y'all are satisfied. Then we'll be ready to start.

And we'll also need some names of areas, as well as Echo's character. I know we have Cobrân and Bearach, and Cobrân's names, which reminds me, when I do lengthier rp posts, I'll be typing it out on keyboard, which means I won't have the fancy characters in your names, Asphodelus, sorry. Though I can try to copy/paste, I guess that works. XD Though, please forgive me if I just end up deciding not to do it at some point.

But I digress. There's also the name of Cobrân's village, Cysgœd. Did we come up with names for sections of the forest yet? Such as the sections of the forest that each village resides in? Or the name of the forest as a whole?

And we'll also need some names of areas, as well as Echo's character. I know we have Cobrân and Bearach, and Cobrân's names, which reminds me, when I do lengthier rp posts, I'll be typing it out on keyboard, which means I won't have the fancy characters in your names, Asphodelus, sorry. Though I can try to copy/paste, I guess that works. XD Though, please forgive me if I just end up deciding not to do it at some point.
Oh, no worries! And that goes for everyone, y'all don't need to add the accents and stuff if you're typing out names. I have 'em there mostly for pronunciation and aesthetic purposes, but yeah, they're not necessary if they're a hassle; I wouldn't want anyone spending too much time on that.

(Though, Undead, I just noticed you've been spelling his name with one less 'r' than there is. XD.)
But I digress. There's also the name of Cobrân's village, Cysgœd. Did we come up with names for sections of the forest yet? Such as the sections of the forest that each village resides in? Or the name of the forest as a whole?
I've more on Corbrân's section of the woods on the way! It'll be touched further upon once I get my info posts up, but just so it's here:

Cysgœd (literally "shade beneath the trees"), perhaps better known to outsiders as Llyrcarn after its founder [...] rumoured to be Marshadow's domain [...] pantialtllan [Haruspex Hollows]​

So Cysgœd's residents are rather traditional, superstitious folks, I've mentioned. There is an origin story (something about a lord selling his soul to a little shadow demon and bounding his line in exchange for a stone), but like all origin stories, it's only partially true. Outsiders call Cysgœd  Llyncarn because it's easier on the tongue, more proper, and look, no funky letters! Similarly, most will refer to the woods directly surrounding Cysgœd as Haruspex Hollows rather than pantialtllan (derived from the terms sacred, woods, and parish), where Marshadow is rumoured to reside.

Travellers claim that pokémon who live in the Hollows are more aggressive and intelligent than those elsewhere, as if they knew... something. There's a shocking number of psychic- and dark-type pokémon in the woods, and even eevee and fletchinder carry around an unsettling aura. Those beady eyes, as if staring into unsettled strangers' souls...

Perhaps Corbrân's blood is what keeps the "hostile" ambience at bay, or perhaps it's his secondary psychic typing, or his place in the flock — though most residents of Cysgœd don't seem bothered by their woods. It's newcomers who come begging for safety from monsters in the middle of the night, trained knights jumping at shadows much to these villagers' politely reserved bewilderment.

Those attuned to nature are more resilient. (Meaning Bearach and Echo's character shouldn't feel too off while wandering through the Hollows.)

So there's one section named (sort of? like Echo's character's village, pantialtllan blurs the lines between forest and separate domain — but seeing people wander in and out all the time, it's likely more  forest with a few... let's say 'ripples' blurring things a bit).

I've nothing on the forest's name as a whole, other than that Cysgœd's residents likely have their own name for it on top of the more common, "proper/official" name.

Oh, no worries! And that goes for everyone, y'all don't need to add the accents and stuff if you're typing out names. I have 'em there mostly for pronunciation and aesthetic purposes, but yeah, they're not necessary if they're a hassle; I wouldn't want anyone spending too much time on that.

(Though, Undead, I just noticed you've been spelling his name with one less 'r' than there is. XD.)

I've more on Corbrân's section of the woods on the way! It'll be touched further upon once I get my info posts up, but just so it's here:

Cysgœd (literally "shade beneath the trees"), perhaps better known to outsiders as Llyrcarn after its founder [...] rumoured to be Marshadow's domain [...] pantialtllan [Haruspex Hollows]​

So Cysgœd's residents are rather traditional, superstitious folks, I've mentioned. There is an origin story (something about a lord selling his soul to a little shadow demon and bounding his line in exchange for a stone), but like all origin stories, it's only partially true. Outsiders call Cysgœd  Llyncarn because it's easier on the tongue, more proper, and look, no funky letters! Similarly, most will refer to the woods directly surrounding Cysgœd as Haruspex Hollows rather than pantialtllan (derived from the terms sacred, woods, and parish), where Marshadow is rumoured to reside.

Travellers claim that pokémon who live in the Hollows are more aggressive and intelligent than those elsewhere, as if they knew... something. There's a shocking number of psychic- and dark-type pokémon in the woods, and even eevee and fletchinder carry around an unsettling aura. Those beady eyes, as if staring into unsettled strangers' souls...

Perhaps Corbrân's blood is what keeps the "hostile" ambience at bay, or perhaps it's his secondary psychic typing, or his place in the flock — though most residents of Cysgœd don't seem bothered by their woods. It's newcomers who come begging for safety from monsters in the middle of the night, trained knights jumping at shadows much to these villagers' politely reserved bewilderment.

Those attuned to nature are more resilient. (Meaning Bearach and Echo's character shouldn't feel too off while wandering through the Hollows.)

So there's one section named (sort of? like Echo's character's village, pantialtllan blurs the lines between forest and separate domain — but seeing people wander in and out all the time, it's likely more  forest with a few... let's say 'ripples' blurring things a bit).

I've nothing on the forest's name as a whole, other than that Cysgœd's residents likely have their own name for it on top of the more common, "proper/official" name.
Thank you for correcting my spelling. I probably would have never noticed. XD No idea how I missed a whole freakin' letter. XD

And very interesting. So, do you want it to be rumors, or do you want it to actually be Marshadow's domain? And if so, do you want them to be part of the story, or be connected to your character somehow?

Llyncarn, which is the outsider term for Cysgœd, as well as Haruspex Hallows for the surrounding woods. Nice! Thanks! Also, it's super cool the effort you put in to all this. Unfortunately, I'm going to brain dump most of it. XD But, as long as you have it, that's awesome! You can just be the one to describe things when it comes to Llyncarn.

I wanted to go ahead and at least throw together something resembling the important things for my character, which I'll add to once I have more energy. But this is the gist of it, and will probably work for most of our needs until we start >.<

Name - Els
Gender - Female (she/her)
Height - 5'1"
Appearance - Els is short and thin, and can easily be recognized to be a bit sickly. Her round face, pointed ears sticking straight out of the sides of her head, and icy blue eyes she inherited from her family, while her birth in Glomwidu is likely more responsible for her dark grey skin and mesmerizing carmine hair, which rolls in waves down to her mid-back or is worn in a long braid. She dresses in the typical style of Wisterian villagers.

Personality - Soft-spoken, yet cheerful, outgoing, and friendly. She is the type to talk to just about anyone who is willing, and loves to learn and experience new things. Her mind moves much faster than her body, and she had a habit of tripping or losing her balance from trying to move too quickly. She has a deep love and respect for all Pokemon that she comes across, and tends to prioritize treating them over people when the situation isn't critical. She has an unsettling way of seeming to know what's troubling someone without them saying anything, and is quick to set to work making whatever it is better. Despite her innate affinity for poison magics and acquired affinity for ghost magics, both of which earn her extra suspicion and mistrust, she avoids using them for anything malicious or dangerous and instead puts them to use for processing medicines or easing troubled spirits in both people and Pokemon.

Pokemon-
Trevenant: long-time guardian and friend. Evolved after deciding to give up its duty guarding the forest to instead protect and guide Els, joining her as her partner.
Mareanie: taken in after being recovered from a poacher travelling through the Etherwild forest. Has no respect or love for anyone other than Els, and even then he tends to do whatever he wants rather than listen to her.

History-
Els was born and grew up within the anomalously magical forested region known as Glomwidu or The Gloaming Wood, the mysteriously vanishing and moving stretch of forest characterized by a shaded carmine/crimson/violet palette and mind-bending properties that prevent it from being entered or explored for more than a short period by outsiders. Els' village and those who have inhabited it are said to be protected by the creature that controls Glomwidu, and have been for the several hundred years since the village elders arrived in there seeking refuge after losing their home in the outside world. Els grew up there, in the comfort and peace of the shadowed eaves, with her mother Lieke and father Gijs. She even seemed to have the natural affinity to potentially become one of the village Gloamtongues, receiving dreams from their guardian and guiding the spirits that gathered in their home from time to time away to where they belonged.

When Els was about eight, however, the village was struck with the worst threat it had known since its founding: Reperwette. A deadly illness that seemingly came from nowhere at all, which caused afflicted victims to vomit, urinate, defecate, sweat, cry, and otherwise release water uncontrollably until they expired from rapid dehydration. It was unknown how the contagion spread, however those who fell ill were immediately quarantined and visited only by the village healer, who sat with them and gave them whatever comfort they could before they expired. The village almost descended into panic as the number of sick or dead swelled over only a few weeks to nearly a quarter of those who resided there. Ultimately, in a meeting among all those who were well enough to attend, two arguments were put forward and debated: Wait out the sickness, keeping separated and careful, until it passed, or abandon their home and flee once again into the outside world before they were overcome. Neither side was appealing to everyone, and it was decided that the families could make the decisions for themselves. Nearly three-quarters of those in attendance chose to escape and try their luck outside, while a minority, including Els' mother and father, chose to stay. They were afraid of taking their child out into a world full of danger and hate, and they felt she could be better protected here, even with the threat of the Reperwette. Unfortunately, it was only days after the mass exodus from Glomwidu that Els showed the first signs of illness.

While seemingly spared the fast and destructive death that Reperwette gave to most, thus unwittingly revealing her magically affinity for poison, Els was instead wracked with intense pain that continued day and night. She remembers little from this period than the crushing pain, and the eerie sights that flashed in her mind during her troubled sleep between fits. She was not cognizant enough to notice Gijs fall ill as well, nor to realize when he went still and never moved again. But she remembered her mother's wails, her curses, the love and fear in her eyes as she looked down at Els. She remembered being strapped to Lieke's back as they crossed the threshold and she saw leaves of green for the first time. She remembered the first Pokemon she ever saw: small insects with leaf bibs crawling about and munching on leaves overhead. She remembered when they were surrounded by angry people with weapons, and her mother's desperate pleas. She remembered being surrounded by people in the middle of a strange village, feeling their distrust and worry through the pain. And she remembered the last time she saw her mother, the sadness on her face, but that comforting, hopeful look in her eyes, as she she turned, and left.

Els learned later from others in the village of what happened during those many months. Lieke was found in the forest near where Glomwidu had most recently appeared, and given the problems the village had had with run-ins with people from Glomwidu in the past few months, she was quickly taken into custody by the rangers of Wisteria. Seeing that she posed no threat and hearing her desperation to have her daughter receive medical attention, she was taken to Wisteria proper, where she was met with fear and suspicion. The village leader at the time met and spoke with Lieke privately, while Els was taken to be checked over. Apparently the leader would have forced them both to leave had it not been for them noticing the Phantump that seemed to be watching over the child ever since they arrived. Being elusive guardians of the forest, to have one of them not only appear but take an interest in the child inclined him to offer the village's aid. However, Lieke could not be allowed to stay, as they had already turned away other Glomwidui before her and had been met with violence by others recently. She had accepted the terms, and that was the last Els saw of her mother. Meanwhile, despite her condition not worsening from its already grievous state, and despite the highly skilled village doctor attending to her for the greater part of most days for months, no treatment showed any sign of improvement. After many sleepless night, questioning himself and his abilities, and wondering what could possibly be happening to this poor girl, the doctor found a bundle of Phantump leaves lying by her bedside. Having heard that such leaves had miraculous healing abilities but never having obtained any himself, he created a medicinal tea and administered it. And for the first night since she had arrived, Els slept peacefully.
It's been nearly a decade since then, and despite everything Els is active and working in Wisteria right next to the man who saved her life. She had continued to take medicine produced with Phantump leaves until her condition stabilized at a passive sickly nature, which while not as ideal as being completely cured was certainly worlds better than the constant pain and mental haze that had seized her before. Whenever she had been allowed to go out for fresh air she would look for her friend the Phantump, who would appear without fail with a gift of leaves, or play with the two other friends she made: Bearach and Aeron. So interested did she become with how the gifts from her forest friend became her medicine that the doctor began teaching her how to make it herself, and before long she was helping out with other patients and preparing general-use medicines. Over the years she had come to be a begrudgingly well-respected healer, even if she still wasn't trusted by everyone. But she had her friends and her mentor, and as long as she kept taking her medicine she would be able to lead a productive and happy life. Even if she longed to see her family again, or to gaze once more upon the crimson boughs of her home once more, this was enough for her.

I have more but this is probably more than enough for now ^^;

Last edited:
I wanted to go ahead and at least throw together something resembling the important things for my character, which I'll add to once I have more energy. But this is the gist of it, and will probably work for most of our needs until we start >.<

Name - Els
Gender - Female (she/her)
Height - 5'1"
Appearance - Els is short and thin, and can easily be recognized to be a bit sickly. Her round face, pointed ears sticking straight out of the sides of her head, and icy blue eyes she inherited from her family, while her birth in Glomwidu is likely more responsible for her dark grey skin and mesmerizing carmine hair, which rolls in waves down to her mid-back or is worn in a long braid. She dresses in the typical style of Wisterian villagers.

Personality - Soft-spoken, yet cheerful, outgoing, and friendly. She is the type to talk to just about anyone who is willing, and loves to learn and experience new things. Her mind moves much faster than her body, and she had a habit of tripping or losing her balance from trying to move too quickly. She has a deep love and respect for all Pokemon that she comes across, and tends to prioritize treating them over people when the situation isn't critical. She has an unsettling way of seeming to know what's troubling someone without them saying anything, and is quick to set to work making whatever it is better. Despite her innate affinity for poison magics and acquired affinity for ghost magics, bother of which earn her extra suspicion and mistrust, she avoids using them for anything malicious or dangerous and instead puts them to use for processing medicines or easing troubled spirits in both people and Pokemon.

Pokemon-
Trevenant: long-time guardian and friend. Evolved after deciding to give up its duty guarding the forest to instead protect and guide Els, joining her as her partner.
Mareanie: taken in after being recovered from a poacher travelling through the Etherwild forest. Has no respect or love for anyone other than Els, and even then he tends to do whatever he wants rather than listen to her.

History-
Els was born and grew up within the anomalously magical forested region known as Glomwidu or The Gloaming Wood, the mysteriously vanishing and moving stretch of forest characterized by a shaded carmine/crimson/violet palette and mind-bending properties that prevent it from being entered or explored for more than a short period by outsiders. Els' village and those who have inhabited it are said to be protected by the creature that controls Glomwidu, and have been for the several hundred years since the village elders arrived in there seeking refuge after losing their home in the outside world. Els grew up there, in the comfort and peace of the shadowed eaves, with her mother Lieke and father Gijs. She even seemed to have the natural affinity to potentially become one of the village Gloamtongues, receiving dreams from their guardian and guiding the spirits that gathered in their home from time to time away to where they belonged.

When Els was about eight, however, the village was struck with the worst threat it had known since its founding: Reperwette. A deadly illness that seemingly came from nowhere at all, which caused afflicted victims to vomit, urinate, defecate, sweat, cry, and otherwise release water uncontrollably until they expired from rapid dehydration. It was unknown how the contagion spread, however those who fell ill were immediately quarantined and visited only by the village healer, who sat with them and gave them whatever comfort they could before they expired. The village almost descended into panic as the number of sick or dead swelled over only a few weeks to nearly a quarter of those who resided there. Ultimately, in a meeting among all those who were well enough to attend, two arguments were put forward and debated: Wait out the sickness, keeping separated and careful, until it passed, or abandon their home and flee once again into the outside world before they were overcome. Neither side was appealing to everyone, and it was decided that the families could make the decisions for themselves. Nearly three-quarters of those in attendance chose to escape and try their luck outside, while a minority, including Els' mother and father, chose to stay. They were afraid of taking their child out into a world full of danger and hate, and they felt she could be better protected here, even with the threat of the Reperwette. Unfortunately, it was only days after the mass exodus from Glomwidu that Els showed the first signs of illness.

While seemingly spared the fast and destructive death that Reperwette gave to most, thus unwittingly revealing her magically affinity for poison, Els was instead wracked with intense pain that continued day and night. She remembers little from this period than the crushing pain, and the eerie sights that flashed in her mind during her troubled sleep between fits. She was not cognizant enough to notice Gijs fall ill as well, nor to realize when he went still and never moved again. But she remembered her mother's wails, her curses, the love and fear in her eyes as she looked down at Els. She remembered being strapped to Lieke's back as they crossed the threshold and she saw leaves of green for the first time. She remembered the first Pokemon she ever saw: small insects with leaf bibs crawling about and munching on leaves overhead. She remembered when they were surrounded by angry people with weapons, and her mother's desperate pleas. She remembered being surrounded by people in the middle of a strange village, feeling their distrust and worry through the pain. And she remembered the last time she saw her mother, the sadness on her face, but that comforting, hopeful look in her eyes, as she she turned, and left.

Els learned later from others in the village of what happened during those many months. Lieke was found in the forest near where Glomwidu had most recently appeared, and given the problems the village had had with run-ins with people from Glomwidu in the past few months, she was quickly taken into custody by the rangers of Wisteria. Seeing that she posed no threat and hearing her desperation to have her daughter receive medical attention, she was taken to Wisteria proper, where she was met with fear and suspicion. The village leader at the time met and spoke with Lieke privately, while Els was taken to be checked over. Apparently the leader would have forced them both to leave had it not been for them noticing the Phantump that seemed to be watching over the child ever since they arrived. Being elusive guardians of the forest, to have one of them not only appear but take an interest in the child inclined him to offer the village's aid. However, Lieke could not be allowed to stay, as they had already turned away other Glomwidui before her and had been met with violence by others recently. She had accepted the terms, and that was the last Els saw of her mother. Meanwhile, despite her condition not worsening from its already grievous state, and despite the highly skilled village doctor attending to her for the greater part of most days for months, no treatment showed any sign of improvement. After many sleepless night, questioning himself and his abilities, and wondering what could possibly be happening to this poor girl, the doctor found a bundle of Phantump leaves lying by her bedside. Having heard that such leaves had miraculous healing abilities but never having obtained any himself, he created a medicinal tea and administered it. And for the first night since she had arrived, Els slept peacefully.
It's been nearly a decade since then, and despite everything Els is active and working in Wisteria right next to the man who saved her life. She had continued to take medicine produced with Phantump leaves until her condition stabilized at a passive sickly nature, which while not as ideal as being completely cured was certainly worlds better than the constant pain and mental haze that had seized her before. Whenever she had been allowed to go out for fresh air she would look for her friend the Phantump, who would appear without fail with a gift of leaves, or play with the two other friends she made: Bearach and Aeron. So interested did she become with how the gifts from her forest friend became her medicine that the doctor began teaching her how to make it herself, and before long she was helping out with other patients and preparing general-use medicines. Over the years she had come to be a begrudgingly well-respected healer, even if she still wasn't trusted by everyone. But she had her friends and her mentor, and as long as she kept taking her medicine she would be able to lead a productive and happy life. Even if she longed to see her family again, or to gaze once more upon the crimson boughs of her home once more, this was enough for her.

I have more but this is probably more than enough for now ^^;
This is more than enough for now! I love the detail. And Wisteria, that's the village name, right? Have you and Gnome decided on a name for the surrounding woods?

And Glomwidu, the Gloaming Wood, is the domain of a legendary, right? Which legendary? And the Etherwild is the forest area they create/bring with them as they travel?

This is more than enough for now! I love the detail. And Wisteria, that's the village name, right? Have you and Gnome decided on a name for the surrounding woods?

And Glomwidu, the Gloaming Wood, is the domain of a legendary, right? Which legendary? And the Etherwild is the forest area they create/bring with them as they travel?
Wisteria is the village Els and Bearach reside in, the Etherwild forest is the name I saw Gnome had given to the forest within which Wisteria is located, and Glomwidu is the name people from outside have given to what I described as the Gloaming Greatwood in the previous idea post, the domain of Darkrai >.<

Wisteria is the village Els and Bearach reside in, the Etherwild forest is the name I saw Gnome had given to the forest within which Wisteria is located, and Glomwidu is essentially what I described as the Gloaming Greatwood in the previous idea post, the domain of Darkrai >.<
Thank you! Fantastic! I feel like we're pretty close to being ready to start. I just want to give Gnome a chance to catch up. After that, once y'all feel your characters are ready to start, I can go ahead and get us started.

Thank you for correcting my spelling. I probably would have never noticed. XD No idea how I missed a whole freakin' letter. XD

And very interesting. So, do you want it to be rumors, or do you want it to actually be Marshadow's domain? And if so, do you want them to be part of the story, or be connected to your character somehow?

Llyncarn, which is the outsider term for Cysgœd, as well as Haruspex Hallows for the surrounding woods. Nice! Thanks! Also, it's super cool the effort you put in to all this. Unfortunately, I'm going to brain dump most of it. XD But, as long as you have it, that's awesome! You can just be the one to describe things when it comes to Llyncarn.
Marshadow has never been officially sighted, but it's certainly made its presence felt — not so much a domain, per se, as a summer house, or as the gateway to something larger. Marshadow is one of the more secretive mythicals; according to the 'dex, it's never been seen outside of someone's shadow, so I think it's fair to say it would never let anyone into its actual domain.

Haruspex Hollows is like that obnoxiously wide yard some wealthy landowner has that you have to cross over to get to their door. Only it's the middle of the night during autumn, and everything's oddly creepy even though you  know the crime rates here are probably lower than elsewhere. Realistically, nothing's going to happen to you. But it feels like everything's watching you.

Now replace that estate with a forest, add in the fact that most pokémon can and will kill you if threatened, and add in an extra helping of latent psychic magics, and you've got Haruspex Hollows.

There's very little more unnerving than feeling unsettled for no good reason when the sun's shining, you're making good progress on your travels, and the birds are chirping... too quietly and too loudly? And strangely off key. Maybe you ate something wrong? Wait, no, why is that plant moving? Oh, ha... just an oddish. Come on, there's nothing wrong; it's a wonderful day and you're being oddly paranoid.

But I digress. The Hollows are a gate to the hidden domain, and the unsettling aura is all of Marshadow's excess energy leaking out of the domain and into the real world. Of course, the entryway is locked, but gates don't stop everything. And Marshadow's scarily powerful. Luckily, it's not all too interested in the real world.

The tale of the village founder (Llyr ap Mabon) selling his soul to Marshadow... I'm not going to think too hard on that one. It's unlikely that Marshadow itself blessed him, but seeing that his line is actually bound to the centre of pantialtllan, which is where Cysgœd was built... we shouldn't rule out the possibility.

The important part there is that him being a descendant of Llyr is why the villagers were so insistent on keeping Corbrân at the tower and why didn't didn't object when hypno wouldn't let them check up on him. They believe that Corbrân's line is either cursed or blessed, but should Cysgœd be deprived of their bloodline, then the corviknight flock will leave with them, and the town will fall. Whatever magic that protects them from feeling Marshadow's influence will fall.

Is this true? Maybe. I'll leave it ambiguous.

Corbrân, for his part, was heavily groomed by hypno and the flock into being the perfect  caeth (ravenmaster, though literally 'servant, captive', referred to how they're bound to the will of the flock). He knows, logically, that he wasn't raised normally and that the other villagers are wary of him, but he really doesn't care. Their opinions are inconsequential to him as long as they do their jobs.

I'll dive more into the whole hypno/flock situation later once I've gotten a bit more sleep.

It also looks like I won't be consolidating all of this information into one large post. It'd get way too long, so. These smaller info dumps go more in-depth than what I was planning on writing anyhow; it all works out.

If y'all want a character sheet for Corbrân, though, I can still do that; just let me know.

Anyhow, I've gotten less than sixteen hours of sleep in the last four days, and I'm finally runnin' out of juice, so. Night, y'all, I'm out for now. XD

Marshadow has never been officially sighted, but it's certainly made its presence felt — not so much a domain, per se, as a summer house, or as the gateway to something larger. Marshadow is one of the more secretive mythicals; according to the 'dex, it's never been seen outside of someone's shadow, so I think it's fair to say it would never let anyone into its actual domain.

Haruspex Hollows is like that obnoxiously wide yard some wealthy landowner has that you have to cross over to get to their door. Only it's the middle of the night during autumn, and everything's oddly creepy even though you  know the crime rates here are probably lower than elsewhere. Realistically, nothing's going to happen to you. But it feels like everything's watching you.

Now replace that estate with a forest, add in the fact that most pokémon can and will kill you if threatened, and add in an extra helping of latent psychic magics, and you've got Haruspex Hollows.

There's very little more unnerving than feeling unsettled for no good reason when the sun's shining, you're making good progress on your travels, and the birds are chirping... too quietly and too loudly? And strangely off key. Maybe you ate something wrong? Wait, no, why is that plant moving? Oh, ha... just an oddish. Come on, there's nothing wrong; it's a wonderful day and you're being oddly paranoid.

But I digress. The Hollows are a gate to the hidden domain, and the unsettling aura is all of Marshadow's excess energy leaking out of the domain and into the real world. Of course, the entryway is locked, but gates don't stop everything. And Marshadow's scarily powerful. Luckily, it's not all too interested in the real world.

The tale of the village founder (Llyr ap Mabon) selling his soul to Marshadow... I'm not going to think too hard on that one. It's unlikely that Marshadow itself blessed him, but seeing that his line is actually bound to the centre of pantialtllan, which is where Cysgœd was built... we shouldn't rule out the possibility.

The important part there is that him being a descendant of Llyr is why the villagers were so insistent on keeping Corbrân at the tower and why didn't didn't object when hypno wouldn't let them check up on him. They believe that Corbrân's line is either cursed or blessed, but should Cysgœd be deprived of their bloodline, then the corviknight flock will leave with them, and the town will fall. Whatever magic that protects them from feeling Marshadow's influence will fall.

Is this true? Maybe. I'll leave it ambiguous.

Corbrân, for his part, was heavily groomed by hypno and the flock into being the perfect  caeth (ravenmaster, though literally 'servant, captive', referred to how they're bound to the will of the flock). He knows, logically, that he wasn't raised normally and that the other villagers are wary of him, but he really doesn't care. Their opinions are inconsequential to him as long as they do their jobs.

I'll dive more into the whole hypno/flock situation later once I've gotten a bit more sleep.

It also looks like I won't be consolidating all of this information into one large post. It'd get way too long, so. These smaller info dumps go more in-depth than what I was planning on writing anyhow; it all works out.

If y'all want a character sheet for Corbrân, though, I can still do that; just let me know.

Anyhow, I've gotten less than sixteen hours of sleep in the last four days, and I'm finally runnin' out of juice, so. Night, y'all, I'm out for now. XD
I don't need a character sheet. But if they others feel it'll help them with your character, then that's fine. Also, we don't always need to follow dex entries. We can make legendaries as reclusive of curious and open as we like. But I do have ideas for Marshadow. At some point. I just have to figure out how I want to integrate them into the story. No need to worry about that for now, though.

But for the sake of including legendaries, I won't be using some dex entries as straight fact, so they can interact with people and either not be as reclusive or be as destructive as suggested. I'll also take liberties elsewhere to help push fantastical elements on the story.

I don't need a character sheet. But if they others feel it'll help them with your character, then that's fine. Also, we don't always need to follow dex entries. We can make legendaries as reclusive of curious and open as we like. But I do have ideas for Marshadow. At some point. I just have to figure out how I want to integrate them into the story. No need to worry about that for now, though.

But for the sake of including legendaries, I won't be using some dex entries as straight fact, so they can interact with people and either not be as reclusive or be as destructive as suggested. I'll also take liberties elsewhere to help push fantastical elements on the story.
Fair enough. I see following 'dex entries as a fun little challenge (like, even the bizarre ones we can play around with; say magikarp migrate up mountains and live at their peaks, then they could leap over the highest point easily), and with Marshadow especially, I like the idea of it being an asocial yet overpowered deity. Kinda reflects on Corbrân's attitude, in a way? It having it's own secret dimension for itself only and being so terrifying that it can't even contain that power properly (or perhaps it's just not too good at warding) is intriguing.

But if you wanna take some liberties with all that, do go ahead. Give all these secretive mythicals a sense of curiosity; our characters will never see them otherwise.

Fair enough. I see following 'dex entries as a fun little challenge (like, even the bizarre ones we can play around with; say magikarp migrate up mountains and live at their peaks, then they could leap over the highest point easily), and with Marshadow especially, I like the idea of it being an asocial yet overpowered deity. Kinda reflects on Corbrân's attitude, in a way? It having it's own secret dimension for itself only and being so terrifying that it can't even contain that power properly (or perhaps it's just not too good at warding) is intriguing.

But if you wanna take some liberties with all that, do go ahead. Give all these secretive mythicals a sense of curiosity; our characters will never see them otherwise.
To be fair, there are also dex entries that say Magikarp is so useless that it can't even swim in the weakest of currents, let alone migrate anywhere. There are plenty of entries that contradict other entries. Plus, it'd make it difficult to fit some things into the story. I mean, what do you do when a mon can obliterate a mountain just by sitting in sunlight? Or eat an entire mountain? Or jumping thousands of feet? Or, one of my personal favorites, Igglybuff is impossible to stop bouncing once it starts. And let's not talk about planet ending entities like Gardevoir, creating black holes.

I like to think of dex entries more as a guideline. Otherwise, as I once stated, humanity just wouldn't survive.

Oh, also, I've got an idea to include Marshadow into Corbrân's story, if you want them to be part of their story at some point?

I like to think of the really, really nutty Pokédex entries as folklore and superstition. And because this is absolutely my jam, I can definitely think of biological functions that may have inspired these myths, without making them actually be reality.

Also happy to basically create semi realistic ecosystems with suitable mons we well. Love that stuff.

And also sorry I'm so absent at the moment! Work is destroying me so I've got very little time to keep up with occ

I like to think of the really, really nutty Pokédex entries as folklore and superstition. And because this is absolutely my jam, I can definitely think of biological functions that may have inspired these myths, without making them actually be reality.

Also happy to basically create semi realistic ecosystems with suitable mons we well. Love that stuff.

And also sorry I'm so absent at the moment! Work is destroying me so I've got very little time to keep up with occ
No worries about the time. It's cool. And I do love the idea of folklore. Like some fella says they swear they saw a Magikarp leap over a mountain! Or they met an Igglybuff and swears that once it started bouncing, no force in the world could get it to stop! XD

Feel free to catch up at your own pace. No rush.

A good example of what I mean might be Whiscash. I'm fairly certain it is attributed to causing pretty devastating earthquakes. Well many real world catfish create burrows at the bottom of their watery homes, and live in very murky waters which make them difficult creatures to catch a glimpse of. With their sensitive barbels Whiscash would likely be able to detect tremors in the ground long before any nearby humans, and rather than risking a cave in of their burrow they'll swim to the safety of the surface. This means humans will see them just before earthquakes hit, and may claim that Whiscash itself is causing them.

Just an example of how such a myth may come about!

Oh, also, I've got an idea to include Marshadow into Corbrân's story, if you want them to be part of their story at some point?
Go ahead! The roleplay is bound to be interesting with all these secret ideas you're coming with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back