• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Pokemon: Legends Foretold Interest Check (CLOSED)

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
HOYO!!

I'm a glutton for punishment, it seems. Lol.

Anyway, welcome to my Pokemon: Legends Foretold Interest Check!

By the by, this RP won't be closed for entry. Anyone is free to request to join at any time. However, please be mindful that you will not be allowed to simply start posting in the IC sections simply because the RP is always open to new participants. You must alert me to your desire to join, gain my approval for your character sheet, Legendary/Mythical bond partner of choice, and my approval of your starter if it's a non-standard starter before you will be allowed to post. Anyone who simply shows up in the IC posting section without alerting me and gaining my approval will have their posts deleted, and they will be forever thread-banned from all of the RP's OOC and IC posting threads.

With that out of the way, let's get straight into it!

The Basics

This RP is a bit different from the Pokemon RP's I've made in the past for one reason: Legendary Pokemon.

Yes. Legendary Pokemon.

Each participant will be allowed to choose a single Legendary Pokemon to meet and bond with in this RP (so long as nobody else has chosen the same one you want, and this is first come first served). However, please notice that I said "bond" with it. Not "capture." More on that in a moment.

As GM, I call Lugia. Sorry, not sorry. Lol.

So, how does this work exactly?

Your character will have several encounters with the Legendary Pokemon of your choice throughout the RP. When, where, and why this Legendary appears to you will be at my discretion as GM. However, I will always let you know via a DM when an encounter is coming so you can prepare for it. Every time you encounter the Legendary there will be some form of direct interaction with it which helps build rapport and trust until it ultimately opens its heart to you in full. As stated before you cannot capture the Legendary Pokemon. But it may as well be yours once the final stage of bonding is complete, and it will follow you (from a distance) on your journey in its final stages of the RP's story and come to your aid in critical moments.

Why no capturing it?

Science is unable to explain the phenomenon, but Legendary Pokemon are known to be immune to the capture technology within Poke Balls. Even the Master Ball will fail if thrown at a Legendary Pokemon.

In my previous RP's they were "too powerful" to be captured by Poke Balls. However, looking back I think that was a bad decision on my part. Legendary's are powerful, yes. But they're not invincible. So, in this RP they will definitely be strong enough to carry a battle, but they will need rest and assistance from your other Pokemon if they're to prevail against more powerful trainer enemies like those in Team Rocket.

Speaking of, in previous RP's I kept it to one team (Team Rocket) for the sake of simplicity. However, in this RP I'll have all the region's respective evil teams as part of the experience. And they're all in competition with each other for dominance. This means they'll be fighting each other, though occasionally they'll help each other if they realize there's some sort of mutual benefit for their respective sides in the given situation. These truce's will be short-lived, however. They are evil, after all. And evil doesn't honor its word all that often, does it? Hehehe.

As before in my past Pokemon RP's the teams are all very competent and very dangerous. They're not the bumbling Rocket grunts of the anime or games with under-leveled Pokemon and they don't all use the same Pokemon either. They're Trainers too, after all. They can capture any Pokemon you can. And they will also use firearms to get what they want if and when their Pokemon fail.

When it comes to currency, this will be an automated process on the side of the Pokemon League. Every time you challenge another trainer to battle you will receive a sum of money for your participation, which is how you'll fund your life as a Trainer (aka a nomad). You also have the option of taking on regular temporary jobs such as manning a food stand, selling tickets to events, or any other profession of your choice to earn funds for your Pokemon League account to help fund your way forward. Again, this is automated on the side of the Pokemon League. So we don't have to bother with tracking funds. However, it will be expected that your character is watching their funds carefully and spending wisely rather than lavishly. If you buy 50 Poke Balls every time you go to a Poke Mart, on top of getting 10 Super Potions, Antidotes, Paralyze Heals, etc, we're going to have a problem. So, please be realistic with your funds and try to stick to a "less is more" philosophy with items and such.

Poke Balls don't actually "break" if they fail to capture a Pokemon, after all. You can pick them up and try again. You'll only break them if you throw them at actual rocks or metal walls or something over and over again. They're quire durable.

No "Game" Mechanics, and a smidge more realism

Since this RP is taking place in "real life," at least for our characters, there are no video game mechanics to speak of such as HP or other stats, no 4-move limitation, no EV/IV's to worry about, no TM/HM's, No "Abilities," etc.

Pokemon are treated as real living creatures. So, the only thing we need to worry about from a "game mechanics" standpoint is type matchups.

That said, some type matchup situations will have a few exceptions to the normal rules we're familiar with. For example, if a Flying Pokemon is standing on the ground when a Ground Pokemon uses Earthquake, if they don't take off and start flying around the debris and/or the upheaval of the ground beneath their feet can and will harm them even though they have the type advantage on paper. Similarly, if a Water Pokemon takes a Flamethrower directly to their flesh, it can and will burn them if they either don't get underwater quickly, or if they don't launch a water attack directly at the Flamethrower to prevent it reaching them. They're not just going to tank something like that with no visible damage. Fire is still fire. And it's still a destructive force capable of burning and maiming if not handled with care.

"Advantage" doesn't mean true blue "immunity," after all. Especially in a more "real life" situation.

Similarly, physics and chemistry are a thing. Though, we don't have to get too scientific with it. A good example is what happens when a Thunderbolt attack meets a Hydro Pump. The Thunderbolt will use the water from a Hydro Pump as a conductor to travel rapidly through the water to the source, aka the Pokemon launching the attack, and they will be electrified despite the two attacks "meeting" each other. They won't just stop at the middle. However, that works both ways. The electric Pokemon is going to have GTF out of the way or that electrically charged Hydro Pump is still going to hit it which won't exactly tickle. It might not get hurt much from the electricity conducted in the water. But that Hydro Pump is still a Hydro Pump.

Lastly, Ghosts. Oh, those pesky Ghost Pokemon and the potential issues they pose for more "realistic" Pokemon adventures! What's going on with them? Good question! If they're actual ghosts who lack a physical form then they'd be in line with the whole "normal attacks don't hurt them" thing. However, that would also put them in direct defiance of the laws of both nature and physics, which would be a pain in the rear. Yeah, it's fantasy. But it's still a pain in the rear. So, I have a compromise in mind. They are physical living creatures, but they're like chameleons on steroids. They can bend the light around their bodies to perfectly reflect their surroundings which makes them invisible to the naked eye. This is why Psychic types are more effective against them since they don't have to rely on their eyes to fight. It would also be a good reason why they're labeled "ghost" Pokemon as it's more in line with their abilities than them being actual ghosts. Sound fair?

Good.

Rules

1) Minimum Character age is 18

The Pokemon League requires all would-be Trainers be at least 18 years old and complete a series of mandatory preparatory courses with a minimum grade of 70% prior to being granted their Pokemon Trainer's License.

2) You do not have to choose a standard game Starter Pokemon

You may choose a standard starter if you wish, in which case they will come to you from the lab of the respective Professor whom you receive them from in the games. If you would like a non-standard Starter Pokemon you must send me a DM with your requested Pokemon and state the reason(s) why you want that Pokemon, and await my approval.

You may not select a Mythical, Pseudo-Legendary, or Legendary Pokemon as a Starter.

3) Progression through struggle is at the core of this experience

This is basically the no God-Modding rule.

Your character is expected to struggle throughout the entire RP. Especially when it comes to Pokemon Battles. The other Pokemon Trainers of the world are not incompetent. And they're doing their best to raise their Pokemon just like you. Some of them are doing a better job than you, too. That's a fact of life everyone must face. There's always someone better out there. That's the whole reason we can inspire ourselves to work harder and get better at anything we do.

If your character is not seen struggling and spends their time breezing through every battle as if every opponent they face has no clue how to raise Pokemon or conduct themselves in battle, and they capture every Pokemon on the first thrown Poke Ball, you will be ejected from the RP at my discretion.

Character Skeleton

Code:
[b]Name:
Weight:

Starter Pokemon:

Quirks:[/b] (please list at least 5 unique quirks for your character)

[b]Personality:[/b] (one paragraph, please)

[b]Biography:[/b] (at least one paragraph, please)

Here's my character for the RP!

Lorraine Hart

Height: 5' 6" (167.6cm)
    Weight: 120 lbs (54.4 kg)

Voice Example: Lorraine's Voice (Lara El, Superman the Animated Series)

Starter Pokemon: Charmander (Blaze)

Quirks:

* Her accent gets thicker when she's under stress
    * She can't stop herself from wanting to meet, pet, and hug (if allowed) Pokemon she finds adorable (such as her Charmander)
    * Her favorite color is white
    * Her favorite drink is Bulba Tea
    * Her favorite Pokemon Type is Dragon

Last edited:
Name: Ray Kyo

Height: 5'8

Weight: 122lb

Starter: Eevee {Nickname: Umbra} (I'll DM you)

Legendary to meet: Darkrai

Quirks
---------

• Hides his face never takes his mask off
• Has RAD (Relationship Attachment Disorder) which is why he is only close to Pokemon
• His voice goes deeper when he is around people
• Loves the smell of fresh baked bread
• Loves to have his Pokemon out of their pokeballs, when taking a walk

Personally
---------------

•Cold
•Sweet once you get to know him
•Calm and collected
•Has rational thinking

Background
-----------------

Has always been neglected at his home, since he was a child. One day he found a Pokemon in the rain, soaking wet, in a alleyway laying on the ground. He brought it home and took care if it. He and the Pokemon never let each others side. He one day found out the Pokemon league was going on in his town home, and he signed up. Now looking forward to adventures with his Pokemon.

Appearance
-----------------
(Is the picture)

Attachments

• 4aa35f4f1527631fc9a8e2a62cda1a24.jpg
    4aa35f4f1527631fc9a8e2a62cda1a24.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Interested :)

Legendary to befriend that I am heavily considering is Galar Moltres. Just caught one on Pogo and have always loved its insane design

I love the more realistic take on Pokemon, along with the grittier atmosphere you're presenting. This is really cool.

Interested! I think I'll be revamping my old Pokemon OC and have them befriend Victini!

Interested! Also, one question about ghost-types: so are they completely solid? They can't phase through walls and stuff? Also, moves like dream eater and siren song; how would you realistic-ify that?

Does the minimum age for trainers also apply to those who wish for just a pet? Would households be fined for befriending but not capturing the wildlife (say having a bird feeder with frequent visitors); how about helper pokémon (ex. pansage helping in the bakery)?

Last edited:
Interested! But I have some questions if thats okay.

Where will this be set? Is it an existing region or a new region or just anywhere, I'm asking as I'm wondering wether or not certain Pokémon wont be allowed just because they aren't native to that certain region?

For the money system, would it just go off prices for like the most recent Pokémon game (idk if the prices change between games)?

Also are there any restrictions to what jobs your character can start with, what if they were like 45 and you wanted to give them an interesting career prior to becoming a Pokémon trainer?

And finally when you talk about selecting a legendary to befriend over the course of the rp does that also include mythicals?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions but this sounds really interesting :)

Holy moley, this got a lot of attention fast. Lol.

A'ight, well, I got no excuses now.

Life. Life. Levi_Ijin Levi_Ijin Phayne Phayne kasigi kasigi PainterFight PainterFight MrBrown MrBrown asphodelus asphodelus RulerOfChad RulerOfChad

I'll be creating a dedicated "Characters" OOC page in just a moment. For those who have questions, I'll answer them in the lower half of this response post for you.

For those ready for character submission please feel free to take your time with conceptualizing your characters. When you're ready, submit them to the Characters OOC page and please be sure to follow a paragraph format for the Personality and Bio sections. Only the Quirks section should come with bullet points. I don't need to know everything about your character. But I would like a decent idea of who they are.

Thanks!

Now, for questions!

asphodelus asphodelus asked:
Interested! Also, one question about ghost-types: so are they completely solid? They can't phase through walls and stuff? Also, moves like dream eater and siren song; how would you realistic-ify that?

Does the minimum age for trainers also apply to those who wish for just a pet? Would households be fined for befriending but not capturing the wildlife (say having a bird feeder with frequent visitors); how about helper pokémon (ex. pansage helping in the bakery)?

Good questions.

- Yes, they're solid and cannot pass through physical objects. Much as I'd like to go full-fledged high fantasy with living ghosts there are far too many questions that create far too many headaches for me to try and make realistic. A few examples would be:

* How do Poke Balls capture Ghost Pokemon given their non-physical and intangible ghostly bodies?
* Are Poke Balls magical? Or is there some kind of science behind why we can catch them?
* What keeps them in a Poke Ball if they can phase through objects at will?

Does that make sense? Too many questions like these come up if I leave them as ethereal and intangible entities. So I've decided for this Pokemon world they're identified as "Ghost" types mostly due to their move sets being very ghost-themed and having the nifty ability to go invisible.

- For moves like Dream Eater, that's a health-sucking move that requires the user to directly concentrate on the task of eating an unconscious Pokemon's dreams. I can see this move still being a thing. However, rather than a health "sucking" move that harms the target it's mostly just used to heal the user. Having a dream eaten might give you a nightmare. But I hardly see that as being reason to cause tangible "damage," if that makes sense.

Moves like Siren Song, which trap and inflict damage passively, will not be used in the RP. Again, too many questions. What's causing the trap? Why can't the Pokemon be switched out given there's no visible, tangible force field or anything blocking the Poke Ball's recall laser? Why is it causing damage? What is causing the damage? Know what I mean? So yeah. We'll avoid moves like that which are passive traps that don't seem to have a realistic way of working.

- "What about moves like Spikes?" You may be wondering? That's a physical entry trap which puts tangible, visible spikes on the ground which definitely would hurt if you stepped on them or fell onto them. So moves like Spikes are still a thing.

I guess a good way to sum up moves like those would be: If it isn't tangible or can't be easily explained in a realistic context, it's not a thing in the RP.

Hopefully that's helpful. When in doubt you can always ask me and I'll be happy to check it out and provide feedback on whether or not a particular move is a thing and how it would work in this more realistic take on Pokemon.

- The minimum age only applies to those wanting to obtain a Pokemon Trainer's License. Family pet Pokemon are allowed so long as legal adults have gone to official breeders to lawfully obtain them like any real world pet. But to participate in the Pokemon League Challenge and collect the 8 regional badges, to participate in Pokemon Olympics, Pokemon Fashion Contests, etc, you must have a Trainer's License.

- Households won't be penalized for befriending a wild Pokemon. That'd be kind of like penalizing someone for feeding pigeons on the street. Not exactly practical. Know what I mean? Lol.

- For businesses to use Pokemon the owner has to obtain a special permit. But so long as they have a permit, they're good to go.

RulerOfChad RulerOfChad asked:
Where will this be set? Is it an existing region or a new region or just anywhere, I'm asking as I'm wondering wether or not certain Pokémon wont be allowed just because they aren't native to that certain region?

For the money system, would it just go off prices for like the most recent Pokémon game (idk if the prices change between games)?

Also are there any restrictions to what jobs your character can start with, what if they were like 45 and you wanted to give them an interesting career prior to becoming a Pokémon trainer?

And finally when you talk about selecting a legendary to befriend over the course of the rp does that also include mythicals?

Good questions! And please, never be afraid to throw a lot of questions at me. It shows me you're actually interested and want to understand the changes I've made, which makes me happy!

- Which region will we be starting in? Kanto, due to a special event that's being organized in-world which will give all our characters a natural reason to come together.

Once we've completed the event the world opens up and our characters can either agree to stick together as one big group, split up and go off in pairs or other small groups, or all go their separate ways to different regions and enjoy their own fantastic adventures as solo Trainers.

Depending on where everyone wants to go I will create individual IC posting threads for each region so everyone can post within their region's IC section. Each page will be linked, so you can visit the other posting sections to read up at any time. Or, if you find you want your character to transition to another region then you have but to put them on a plane or a ship or what have you and you can hop to another region's posting section at any time. Or, just hop on a Flying type who's large enough to support your character's size and weight and they can fly you to another region.

- Pokemon are not region locked. If it makes sense for them to appear in a given habitat then they have a chance of appearing. For example, a Sprigatito could be found in any forest or open plains area of any region we travel to

- I don't plan on including actual monetary pricings since I think it'd be asking too much of everyone have to do math every time they want to change what items they're carrying. Know what I mean?

Instead, I'm going to leave it up to the honor system for everyone to have a general idea of how much money their character should have at any given point based on how many trainers they've battled, whether or not they've worked any jobs or sold and items they've found during their travels, etc., and to keep their stock of Poke Balls, potions and other healing items, etc., in sensible moderation. Does that make sense?

- There are no restrictions on what kinds of jobs your character can start with. It all depends on what makes sense given their age, background, etc. So, if your character were 45 and had worked in Pokemon Law Enforcement, for example, and they decided to retire from that field and become a Pokemon Trainer then that's all good with me.

- Yes, that includes Mythicals.

To answer a probably unspoken question: Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon are banned as starter Pokemon. But once we've completed the opening event and our characters are free to set out into the world then the Pseudo-Legendaries are fair game for capture so long as you obtain my approval before doing so. They're supposed to be ungodly rare, after all. So, obviously, I'll be restricting Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon capturing until after any given participant has acquired their first 7 badges in any given region.

A'ight! I'm off to create the Character OOC page, and a couple others as well!

I'll be sure to tag all of you in each as they go up!

Hey there I hope there is still room! It may take a bit to get my sheet out. I hope I can enter as I try to make a CS.

Hey there I hope there is still room! It may take a bit to get my sheet out. I hope I can enter as I try to make a CS.

Hi there!

Absolutely! I don't plan to close down entry for the RP. Anyone can join at any time (should probably put that in the main post up top, shouldn't I? Lol).

Ack I think I deleted my comment from yesterday but I’m definitely interested! I’m thinking of probably going with Manaphy as a bonded legendary if they haven’t been taken yet

You know what, I think I'm going to throw down my interest in this, especially for the focus on the real life aspect of roleplaying rather than just basing everything off of the game's actual mechanics! I may not end up deciding to go in and give it a shot depending on what happens, but I would like to say that I'm intrigued by the idea and would love to discuss it.

Hm, interested in this, and thanks to the other questions, I believe I may only have one question which is more because I'm curious. Are pokemon allowed to die in this or are you not going that far with the realism? (Fine either way, I just figure evil teams wouldn't give 2 hoothoots about maiming or killing pokemon. )

Hm, interested in this, and thanks to the other questions, I believe I may only have one question which is more because I'm curious. Are pokemon allowed to die in this or are you not going that far with the realism? (Fine either way, I just figure evil teams wouldn't give 2 hoothoots about maiming or killing pokemon. )
Agreed

SheepKing SheepKing Hoyo! Glad to hear you're interested!

Feel free to take your time submitting your CS! And if you have any questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer any and all of them!

And yes. Ooooh ho ho ho hooo, yes. Pokemon will be dying in this RP. Because you're right. The evil teams don't give a damn about pokemon or people. So, expect humans (NPC's, of course) to die as well.

Also, nobody's claimed Manaphy, yet. So you're welcome to make it your bond partner!

NimbusWing NimbusWing Hoyo! I replied to your DM. Sorry about not seeing this post. Notifications on the site can be hit and miss sometimes.

Glad to see your interest! Feel free to whip up a character and post it either here or send me a DM with their info and I'll look it over!

Ah, it's 1am here and I'm supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow for a week, but I'm throwing my hat into the ring for this. I shall be back!

UraharaSteph UraharaSteph Naburius Naburius Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 Hoyo everyone!

Thanks for your interest!

Please be sure to read up on all of the information here, and in the OOC Chat which should be linked in the first post of the thread. There's been info added as people have asked questions about how the RP world works given that it's meant to be a bit more realistic.

Also, please do say "hi" to everyone else in the OOC!

To claim your Legendary/Mythical Bond Partner, as we're calling it, please send me a DM with your Mythical/Legendary of choice. If it's not already claimed then I'll let you know, and it'll be safe to add it to your CS. Please submit the CS to me via our DM's first so I can look it over and make sure everything's on the up and up, and once approval is given you can post it to the CS OOC page for everyone to see!

I look forward to seeing you guys in the RP threads!

Cheers!

ThakDaBonker ThakDaBonker Cmeriwether6 Cmeriwether6

Hoyo!

Thanks for your interest!

If you've both read everything here in the Interest Check and the OOC (which has further information on deviations from the source material since this Interest Check was last updated) then please hit me up via DM and show me what sorts of character ideas you have in mind.

If you're interested in a Legendary/Mythical bond partner, please also make sure to include your primary choice (though it'd be good to list a second and tertiary choice just in case your other choice(s) are taken already). If you don't want a Legendary/Mythical bond partner and just want to hop in and enjoy it as a more standard Pokemon adventure pursuing gym badges and the like, that's totally fine too.

I look forward to seeing what you have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back