Post 6 - Intro to the world of Mystery Dungeon
Post 7 - Prior to the Plot
Post 8 - About Corruption and Purity
Post 9 - Save for future
Post 10 - Save for future
Post 11 - Critiques, suggestions, and others

Welcome to my thread!

fd76c222de23efc178f8911f10a782c2.gif

Some of you might be wondering what exactly I'm planning, since I'm actually pretty swamped with role plays right now. I figured the easiest way to let out some steam and try to relieve stress is by 1) setting up side role plays and 2) writing down all the ideas that I'm currently thinking about. So this is exactly what's going on. I'm going to just basically use this thread to write down all the ideas I have filling my head. All of the ideas here are going to be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-based, and predominantly take place in a plot of my own design. I might turn this into a role play some day, or I may not, so I'd appreciate if anyone looking to use my ideas ask me before taking them. I previously had a Quest Role Play set up in this universe, but it died with the update when all the pretty BBCode failed - rest in peace my pretty design. Since I'm too lazy to remake it in HTML, it's just going to gather dust in the Hosted Project Quest Logs if you wanna go take a look. 

So, yeah. There are some major differences between the canon world of Mystery Dungeon and this world of Mystery Dungeon, but all the current games, Red/Blue Rescue Team through Super, are considered part of the canon. We'll get into that in a bit. For now, we're going to start off this thread with a bit of my own lore that applies to the world of Pokemon, regardless of what the plot of the role play is. 

Alright, the thread is open to discussion, advice, whatever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 1 - Intro to Legendaries <== You are here
Post 2 - List of Legendaries by Power
Post 3 - Legendary Branches of Authority
Post 4 - Extended history of the (main) Pokemon Universe
Post 5 - Breeding and Hybrids
Post 9 - Save for future

Intro to Legendaries

tumblr_mm1tfyME6T1s5h198o1_r1_500.gif

I feel like I always need to clarify a few things before I start launching into a Legendary rant. My main source of information on anything Pokemon is always mainly Bulbapedia. My second source is generally whatever else comes up when Googling my question or topic. However, Bulbapedia has taken a new approach to classifying Legendaries, one that I don't particularly approve of. They've split what was collectively referred to as Legendary Pokemon prior to Gen V into Mythical and Legendary Pokemon, the only difference being the Mythical Pokemon are event exclusive. This broke up two duos, the Mew Duo (Mew is Mythical and Mewtwo is Legendary) and the Lunar Duo (Darkrai is Mythical and Cresselia is Legendary), as well as creating a needless relocation of many similar Pokemon, making it even more tedious than it needs to be to find information on certain groups, specifically if you're looking by generation rather than availability. In my eyes, this was a pointless split that should have been avoided. 

But that's enough rambling about my organizational hate for the page split. The point I was trying to make is that both Mythical Pokemon and Legendary Pokemon, in my eyes, are both classified as Legendary Pokemon, given their usually integral purpose in the world and their practically unparalleled power. When I say Legendary Pokemon, I'm referring to the collective group of Legendary and Mythical Pokemon.

Now, this is going to seem hypocritical, but I do provide my own split between the Legendary Pokemon, simply because lore wise, there is a distinction between the more powerful and less powerful of the group, as well as certain defining features provided by the main stream games and anime. My split is between Major Legendaries and Minor Legendaries. The defining features of the split revolve around several integral questions: Has there been more than one instance of the Pokemon within one universe? Can the Pokemon breed? Is the Pokemon's presence integral to the stability of the world and/or universe?

Below is a list of Pokemon, in no particular order, with Major Legendaries on the left and Minor Legendaries on the right.

• Arceus
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Uxie
  • Mesprit
  • Azelf
  • Rayquaza
  • Groudon
  • Kyogre
  • Heatran
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zygarde
  • Zekrom
  • Reshiram
  • Kyurem

• Lugia*
  • Ho-Oh*
  • Suicune
  • Raikou
  • Entei
  • Zapdos
  • Moltres
  • Articuno
  • Deoxys
  • Celebi*
  • Tornadus
  • Thundrus
  • Landorus
  • Regice
  • Registeel
  • Regirock
  • Regigigas*
  • Manaphy*
  • Phione
  • Mewtwo*
  • Mew*
  • Latios*
  • Latias*
  • Darkrai*
  • Cresselia*
  • Shaymin*
  • Victini*
  • Cobalion*
  • Virision*
  • Terrakion*
  • Keldeo*
  • Meloetta
  • Genesect
  • Diance*
  • Hoopa*
  • Volcanion
  • Magerna

As you can see, the list of Minor Legendaries is significantly longer than the list of Major Legendaries. That's because the world of Pokemon is mainly self-sufficient, and many of the jobs the Minor Legendaries perform can be taken over by a Major Legendary, should the Minor Legendary not be around to cover it. The Minor Legendaries with a * next to their names have the potential to be inducted as an honorary Major Legendary, should they accomplish feats, prove their strength and importance, or provide other proof that might set them apart from the other Legendaries. Mew, while the species is considered a Minor Legendary, has an individual that leads the species and take on a role of Major Legendary, due to her general kinship with Arceus. More on this in the History section. 

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 1 - Intro to Legendaries
Post 2 - List of Legendaries by Power <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

List of Legendaries by Power

tumblr_obx2uiIeDi1s13tcmo1_500.gif

I should clarify what I mean by power. In my headcanon, every Pokemon is gifted with Power. Power is an umbrella term coined to describe a Pokemon's interaction with their type. A Pikachu using Thunderbolt is tapping into its Power to use the electricity stored within it. Any time an attack that cannot be performed by a human is used, the Pokemon is drawing upon its imbued Power to produce what would be considered "magic" in normal terms. The less general term for Power is Aether, meaning that using moves draws upon a Pokemon's life force, or stamina, in a sense. Aether is considered the basic building blocks of this universe, and everything is imbued with it, regardless of what it is. Obviously, inanimate objects like rocks and air have less Aether than animate things like plants and Pokemon, and plants obviously have less Aether than Pokemon and humans. 

So below is a list of Pokemon, again with Major Legendaries on the left and Minor on the right, imbued with the most Aether. Comparing the two lists, the Minor Legendaries would start right after the last of the Major Legendaries.

• Arceus
  • Mew* 
  • Creation Trio (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina)
  • Lake Trio (Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf)
  • Rayquaza
  • Groudon and Kyogre
  • Heatran
  • Zygarde
  • Motrality Duo (Xerneas, Yveltal)
  • Tao Trio (Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem)

• Mewtwo
  • Mew*
  • Hoopa
  • Deoxys
  • Victini
  • Celebi
  • Jirachi
  • Regigigas
  • Volcanion
  • Latios
  • Latias
  • Darkrai
  • Cresselia
  • Manaphy
  • Shaymin
  • Genesect
  • Diance
  • Magerna
  • Cobalion
  • Virision
  • Terrakion
  • Keldeo
  • Lugia
  • Tornadus
  • Thundrus
  • Landorus
  • Ho-Oh
  • Suicune
  • Raikou
  • Entei
  • Zapdos
  • Moltres
  • Articuno
  • Regice
  • Registeel
  • Regirock
  • Meloetta
  • Phione

*Mew the individual is a Major Legendary, whereas Mew as a species is considered Minor Legendary.

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 3 - Legendary Branches of Authority <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

Legendary Branches of Authority

36596e51cf8a6dc2ba3027676daca5b4c608414d_hq.gif

Naturally, there has to be order to the way the Legendaries operate, some level of cooperation. Otherwise, the world would fall apart. A long time ago, this sort of pecking order has been set up by Arceus so as to maximize every Legendary's potential and positively effect the world around them. This system is rather similar to a business setting, in that Pokemon of higher standing manage those below them and rarely do direct work, whereas those of lower authority are mostly the ones in the field, doing the work, and thus are the most commonly spotted by humans. 

At the very top of the pecking order is Arceus. He is the ultimate authority over everything that happens in the universe.

Underneath Arceus is Uxie, working like a secretary and personal assistant. 

The work of maintaining the rest of the world is divided between the creation trio. 

Dialga manages the Temporal aspect of the universe.

Directly underneath Dialga is Celebi, who perform tasks for Dialga across the time steam. 

Giratina is in charge of balance and the afterlife.

Directly underneath Giratina is Zygarde, who maintains the balance of life and death.

Beneath Zygarde is Xerneas, who manages birthrates and living beings, and Yveltal, who is in charge of death rates and general destruction. 

Mew also falls into this category, as the individual was the initial mother of all Pokemon, given some exceptions. Mew doesn't actually have a superior, save for Arceus.

Mewtwo is technically underneath Mew, and has been tentatively assigned as the Pokemon ambassador towards humans.

Mesprit and Azelf are in charge of emotions and will, respectively. Along with Uxie, they form the basis of morality from which the rest of the Pokemon beneath them lean on.

Zekrom and Reshiram represent ideals and truth, respectively, while Kyurem represents balance between the two and Victini decides which should win in any given argument.

Jirachi grants wishes, and Darkrai or Cresselia represent one's wishes through nightmares or dreams, respectively.

Cobalion, Virision, Terrakion, and Keldeo work underneath Mewtwo, helping out as protection for Pokemon against humans.

Meloetta and Magerna represent human advancement, and don't do much else.

Palkia manages the Spacial aspect of the universe.

Directly underneath Palkia is Rayquaza, who maintains balance geographically, and Deoxys, who maintain the universe outside of Earth.

Beneath Rayquaza is Kyogre, who manages the ocean Legendaries, and Groudon, who manages the land Legendaries.

Latios and Latias are considered emissaries between the land and ocean Legendaries, given their status as guardians of the coast.

Land Legendaries

Ho-Oh Regigigas Heatran

Volcanion Diance Shaymin
Suicune
Raikou
Entei

Regice Registeel Regirock

Tornadus Thundrus Landorus

Ocean Legendaries

Lugia Manaphy

Zapdos Moltres Articuno

Phione

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 4 - Extended history of the (main) Pokemon Universe <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

Extended History of the Main Pokemon Universe

So, yeah. There isn't a lot of lore within the Pokemon Universe about how it came to be, causing a lot of fan discussion about who came first: Mew or Arceus. This is only my interpretation, and the version I use for all my role plays. 

Arceus was the first being to come in existence in the universe. The egg Arceus hatched from was made by the Aether, and given that Arceus was the only being alive for an indescribable period, he was imbued with a limitless source of Aether to use as he saw fit. Knowing that the more he made, the less he'd have, Arceus first devised seventeen items, called Plates, and imbued them with different elemental Aethers. These elemental Aethers formed the basis for the types we know and use to this very day. 

Using these new Plates, Arceus created the concept of space and time, and used a wide combination of Plates to fill the void with swirling gases and elements, forming the basis of a randomly generated, ever expanding universe. To help keep track of these abstract and unending concepts, he devised two beings to control them and a third to create stability and eventually become his heir. The first to hatch from the three new eggs was Giratina, who was to be Arceus' heir and manage the stability of the universe. The second to hatch was Dialga, the being of time, and the last was Palkia, the being of space. Shortly after their hatching, Arceus realized that the three of them required sustenance, an intake of Aether, in order to continue living. Unable to create a perfect being that required no Aetheric intake, Arceus instead created the Earth, a system to constantly regenerate Aether, perfect for habitation. It was then that the first plants began to spring, and as time passed, the four of them shaped the Earth to their whims, creating landscapes that would be otherwise impossible in today's ecosystem. Contempt with his creation, Arceus gave up his omniscience in the form of Uxie, omnipotence in the form of Azelf, and omnipresence in the form of Mesprit. The psychic residue left over from the creation of these three beings gathered, forming the being Mew. These four beings took to the world, Mew populating the Earth with more Mew, who would gradually over time mutate into the species we know today and the other three imbuing these new living beings with wisdom, will, and emotion.  

However, this paradise was not to last. Newfound jealousy gradually took hold in Giratina's heart. He thought himself greater than his brothers given his title of heir of the universe. Using Power imbued within him, he attacked his family, forcing his brothers into submission and nearly killing them, before threatening Arceus himself. In response to Giratina's actions, Arceus stripped Giratina of a good amount of his Power and banished him to a pocket dimension opposite the real world, known as the Reverse World or the Distortion World, where dead souls go to rest. Tired from the fight, Dialga and Palkia retreated to their own dimensions, and Arceus oversaw the remaining development of this world. 

During Giratina's banishment, three beings came to power, known as Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon. The latter of the two quarreled greatly, disturbing the land and ocean until it was beyond Arceus' recognition. Random bits of land and continent littered a wide sea, that would often grow and shrink. It wasn't until Rayquaza descended from the newly formed atmosphere that the two stopped and retreated down below the surface to rest. At this time, Regigigas and his trio rose to power, moving the land to form coherent continents. At this time, human and Pokemon were still indistinguishable from each other. Mew continuously gave birth to new and powerful Legendaries, and over the eons human and Pokemon started to separate from each other, defined by human's lack of elemental Aether. Slowly but surely, human presence became predominant on every continent, causing massive wars and struggles for resources and power, which only ended into a tentative peace as of recently. As a result of wars, a collection of Pokemon under the authority of Mewtwo have been designated ambassadors for Pokemon towards humans. 

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 5 - Breeding and Hybrids <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

Breeding and Hybrids

tumblr_inline_n7t6sjBG0o1siy8qw.gif

So, if you've been paying attention to the history, you'll notice that there was a time where Pokemon and humans were indistinguishable from each other. In fact, it states in canon that Pokemon and human marriages were actually rather common. So I've added a little headcanon surrounding the idea that humans and Pokemon are biologically able to produce offspring, thus leading to hybrids. I've also added more realism to Pokemon breeding, in that if you breed two Pokemon of different species, you'll end up with a hybrid Pokemon. Sometimes the effect is purely aesthetics, but sometimes this can result in the offspring having different movesets and different typings altogether.

First of all, we need a way to identify the offspring. The offspring of two parents who are not of the same species will always be categorized under the mother's species, regardless of how much resemblance towards the father the offspring may bear. Taking an extreme example, if you breed a male Skitty and a female Wailord, the offspring will always be Wailmer, even if the offspring looks 100% Skitty. Therefore, it's incredibly hard to guarantee that any Pokemon you catch in the wild will be a purebred Pokemon. They often are, but there's always a possibility that they're not. Fortunately, there are breeders who would be able to sell you purebred Pokemon if something like that really matters to you.

In this sense, one can throw egg groups out the window. Any Pokemon, under this headcanon, can breed with any Pokemon and produce fertile offspring. This also prevents there from being an overabundance of new species, at the expense that there's nearly limitless breeds available now. 

Let's look at the human factor in breeding now. This doesn't allow people to just willy-nilly breed with Pokemon and expect to get offspring. In fact, the only way for a human to breed with a Pokemon is if the Pokemon is capable of taking a human form, whether through an illusion or transformation. This severely limits the amount of Pokemon a human can produce offspring with, thus keeping some semblance of separation between humans and Pokemon. It's also worth stating here that all Legendaries have the ability to take on a human form at will.

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 6 - Intro to the world of Mystery Dungeon <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

Intro to the world of Mystery Dungeon

tumblr_nwjdfwjvdY1scncwdo1_500.gif

Welcome to the world of Pokemon! This is the gateway to a world inhabited only by Pokemon! You heard right, there's no humans in this universe. Just Pokemon, walking around talking, and generally forming a society so close to a Utopian human society that we might as well consider it one. As such, the above headcanon that Legendaries have human forms is negated in this universe. This universe is considered an offshoot, or pocket universe, from what we would consider the mainstream Pokemon games. As such, it has entirely different rules, items, and sets of Legendaries. The only Legendary that remains constant between this universe and the "main" universe is Arceus, who travels freely between the two universes.

This universe is predominantly set apart from the main universe by two factors. One is the total lack of humans, and the other is the occurrence of Mystery Dungeons. Mystery Dungeons are patches of land, anything from fields to forests to caves to sections of the ocean, that do not operate like they should. For one, the layout of the area is restricted to a dungeon-like system of rooms and paths. This layout of rooms and paths changes every time you enter it. You could get three rooms with lots of crossroads in the paths on one outing, and then five rooms with very little paths between them on another outing. It's impossible to predict the dungeon's lay out despite many collective years of research done by the Pokemon inhabiting this world. Each dungeon differs from one another given the location, the hostile Pokemon that reside within, and the number of floors to the dungeon. 

Because of the Mystery Dungeon's volatile nature, and the hostile environments often found within, they are both an intrigue and a hazard, as one can often meet a bad end within a dungeon, especially if the one who entered a dungeon entered in accidentally and was thus unprepared. Natural disasters and other world dangers are known to trigger the appearance of new Mystery Dungeons, making them extremely hazardous to young Pokemon who cannot defend themselves. As such, the Exploration Team Federation was set up, distributing and regulating the use of Exploration Team Badges, allowing Pokemon to escape from a dungeon instantaneously. They encourage Pokemon to group up and go on rescue missions, expeditions, or something similar where the team delves into the pits of dungeons, usually with the intent of helping out those who have been inconvenienced by the dungeon in question. 

In the many towns and villages that dot the mostly untamed landscape, Kecleon shops are a common commodity. They sell anything a team might need for going into dungeons. Drop boxes are also common, providing a magical storage that one can draw from wherever they find a drop box. Drop boxes are specific to the team using them, so no one can draw from another team's drop box. The last common item that one needs to be aware of, besides badges, are item bags. They come in different sizes, and the more missions you complete, the bigger your bag gets. 

Table of Contents

OP - Info
Post 7 - Prior to the Plot <== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

Prior to the Plot

tumblr_nr0uwsZX1M1rv6iido1_r1_500.gif

After the latest greatest catastrophe is averted, the world of Pokemon starts to settle down. Towns and villages expand, trade was taken up between different continents within the Pokemon world, and everything seemed to be looking up. However, it was during this moment of peace that final decisions were being made about the fate of the world. Sensing an oncoming Aetheric disaster, Arceus called together as many Legendaries as would answer his summons. "Corruption is coming," he spoke. "We must abandon our Power and memories, and take on new forms if we are to live." Heeding his words, the Legendaries one by one shed their forms and memories, making places for themselves among normal Pokemon in towns and cities. None knew why this was happening, why Arceus would command them to give up potentially the only thing that would prevent the spread of "Corruption" to the normal Pokemon, but they did as they were told.

Word spread slowly that the Legendary Pokemon were missing, but word did spread. Of course, not all Legendaries made it to a new form in time. Those that were left were slowly crystallizing, their bodies taken over by a black crystalline substance that slowly deteriorated the mind and sent them into a rampage until they could no longer move. Then the storms came. With no one left to regulate the weather, great unnatural storms began picking up, tidal waves the size of mountains, mountains suddenly opening up into giant chasms due to earthquakes. Towns crumbled. Hundreds lost their lives. The entirety of Pokemon kind took to caravans, moving about to prevent being caught in a storm. The black crystals didn't go away with the deaths of the remaining Legendaries, however. They appeared in Mystery Dungeons, poisoning normal Pokemon and dooming them to the same fate that befell the Legendaries.

It seemed as if the world was ending. 

Table of Contents

OP - Info
<== You are here
Post 9 - Save for future

About Corruption and Purity

goethiteco.jpeg

The source of all this is, of course, the Corruption. I'll now explain the properties of Corruption and its antithesis, Purity. 

Above is Goethite. It's appearance is ideally what Corruption would look like, were Corruption an actual thing that existed. Corruption itself is a mutated form of Aether, mutated in the sense that it actively seeks out and destroys sources of pure Aether, starting with the largest source it can find. It acts like a parasite, finding itself a host and slowly leeching the Aether out of the host's system, causing the Corruption to expand and grow like a cancer. It's assumed that once you get Corruption in your blood stream, you're as good as dead. Corruption likes to gather around high sources of Aether, such as Legendary Pokemon or Mystery Dungeons. Corruption is also easily broken off and incredibly sharp, making it extremely easy to get into your system. It's best to keep a good distance from infected individuals and places, as airborne infection is not uncommon. 

Purity is also mutated Aether, but in the opposite way Corruption is. Purity takes the form of water: a clear, tasteless, scentless liquid. The only thing distinguishing Purity from water is Purity's ability to rapidly heal, and neutralize Corruption via dissolution and evaporation. Nothing but Purity can dissolve Corruption. Purity is just as easy to store and carry as water is, and isn't harmful to drink. In fact, Water-types may find themselves producing Purity for Water-type attacks instead of actual water for up to an hour after drinking Purity. Purity occurs naturally in randomly located springs all over the planet. Certain springs correlate to a certain Legendary Pokemon, and upon entering the spring, the Legendary is bestowed its former powers and memories, along with the ability to switch between their hidden form and their true form at will.

The Legendaries, prior to entering their spring, are naturally drawn towards the spring they correlate with, as a result of their Power being drawn towards Purity, and they themselves being drawn towards their Power. This was the only way to locate the Purity needed to beat back the Corruption. But naturally, the protagonists won't start off knowing that. 

So here's everything in plain text for those on mobile, because I know coding and fancy things don't look good on a phone. 

Welcome to my thread!

Some of you might be wondering what exactly I'm planning, since I'm actually pretty swamped with role plays right now. I figured the easiest way to let out some steam and try to relieve stress is by 1) setting up side role plays and 2) writing down all the ideas that I'm currently thinking about. So this is exactly what's going on. I'm going to just basically use this thread to write down all the ideas I have filling my head. All of the ideas here are going to be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-based, and predominantly take place in a plot of my own design. I might turn this into a role play some day, or I may not, so I'd appreciate if anyone looking to use my ideas ask me before taking them. I previously had a Quest Role Play set up in this universe, but it died with the update when all the pretty BBCode failed - rest in peace my pretty design. Since I'm too lazy to remake it in HTML, it's just going to gather dust in the Hosted Project Quest Logs if you wanna go take a look. 

So, yeah. There are some major differences between the canon world of Mystery Dungeon and this world of Mystery Dungeon, but all the current games, Red/Blue Rescue Team through Super, are considered part of the canon. We'll get into that in a bit. For now, we're going to start off this thread with a bit of my own lore that applies to the world of Pokemon, regardless of what the plot of the role play is. 

Alright, the thread is open to discussion, advice, whatever!

Intro to Legendaries

I feel like I always need to clarify a few things before I start launching into a Legendary rant. My main source of information on anything Pokemon is always mainly Bulbapedia. My second source is generally whatever else comes up when Googling my question or topic. However, Bulbapedia has taken a new approach to classifying Legendaries, one that I don't particularly approve of. They've split what was collectively referred to as Legendary Pokemon prior to Gen V into Mythical and Legendary Pokemon, the only difference being the Mythical Pokemon are event exclusive. This broke up two duos, the Mew Duo (Mew is Mythical and Mewtwo is Legendary) and the Lunar Duo (Darkrai is Mythical and Cresselia is Legendary), as well as creating a needless relocation of many similar Pokemon, making it even more tedious than it needs to be to find information on certain groups, specifically if you're looking by generation rather than availability. In my eyes, this was a pointless split that should have been avoided. 

But that's enough rambling about my organizational hate for the page split. The point I was trying to make is that both Mythical Pokemon and Legendary Pokemon, in my eyes, are both classified as Legendary Pokemon, given their usually integral purpose in the world and their practically unparalleled power. When I say Legendary Pokemon, I'm referring to the collective group of Legendary and Mythical Pokemon.

Now, this is going to seem hypocritical, but I do provide my own split between the Legendary Pokemon, simply because lore wise, there is a distinction between the more powerful and less powerful of the group, as well as certain defining features provided by the main stream games and anime. My split is between Major Legendaries and Minor Legendaries. The defining features of the split revolve around several integral questions: Has there been more than one instance of the Pokemon within one universe? Can the Pokemon breed? Is the Pokemon's presence integral to the stability of the world and/or universe?

Below is a list of Pokemon, in no particular order, with Major Legendaries first and Minor Legendaries second

• Arceus
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Uxie
  • Mesprit
  • Azelf
  • Rayquaza
  • Groudon
  • Kyogre
  • Heatran
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zygarde
  • Zekrom
  • Reshiram
  • Kyurem

• Lugia*
  • Ho-Oh*
  • Suicune
  • Raikou
  • Entei
  • Zapdos
  • Moltres
  • Articuno
  • Deoxys
  • Celebi*
  • Tornadus
  • Thundrus
  • Landorus
  • Regice
  • Registeel
  • Regirock
  • Regigigas*
  • Manaphy*
  • Phione
  • Mewtwo*
  • Mew*
  • Latios*
  • Latias*
  • Darkrai*
  • Cresselia*
  • Shaymin*
  • Victini*
  • Cobalion*
  • Virision*
  • Terrakion*
  • Keldeo*
  • Meloetta
  • Genesect
  • Diance*
  • Hoopa*
  • Volcanion
  • Magerna

As you can see, the list of Minor Legendaries is significantly longer than the list of Major Legendaries. That's because the world of Pokemon is mainly self-sufficient, and many of the jobs the Minor Legendaries perform can be taken over by a Major Legendary, should the Minor Legendary not be around to cover it. The Minor Legendaries with a * next to their names have the potential to be inducted as an honorary Major Legendary, should they accomplish feats, prove their strength and importance, or provide other proof that might set them apart from the other Legendaries. Mew, while the species is considered a Minor Legendary, has an individual that leads the species and take on a role of Major Legendary, due to her general kinship with Arceus. More on this in the History section. 

List of Legendaries by Power

I should clarify what I mean by power. In my headcanon, every Pokemon is gifted with Power. Power is an umbrella term coined to describe a Pokemon's interaction with their type. A Pikachu using Thunderbolt is tapping into its Power to use the electricity stored within it. Any time an attack that cannot be performed by a human is used, the Pokemon is drawing upon its imbued Power to produce what would be considered "magic" in normal terms. The less general term for Power is Aether, meaning that using moves draws upon a Pokemon's life force, or stamina, in a sense. Aether is considered the basic building blocks of this universe, and everything is imbued with it, regardless of what it is. Obviously, inanimate objects like rocks and air have less Aether than animate things like plants and Pokemon, and plants obviously have less Aether than Pokemon and humans. 

So below is a list of Pokemon, again with Major Legendaries first and Minor second, imbued with the most Aether. Comparing the two lists, the Minor Legendaries would start right after the last of the Major Legendaries.

• Arceus
  • Mew* 
  • Creation Trio (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina)
  • Lake Trio (Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf)
  • Rayquaza
  • Groudon and Kyogre
  • Heatran
  • Zygarde
  • Motrality Duo (Xerneas, Yveltal)
  • Tao Trio (Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem)

• Mewtwo
  • Mew*
  • Hoopa
  • Deoxys
  • Victini
  • Celebi
  • Jirachi
  • Regigigas
  • Volcanion
  • Latios
  • Latias
  • Darkrai
  • Cresselia
  • Manaphy
  • Shaymin
  • Genesect
  • Diance
  • Magerna
  • Cobalion
  • Virision
  • Terrakion
  • Keldeo
  • Lugia
  • Tornadus
  • Thundrus
  • Landorus
  • Ho-Oh
  • Suicune
  • Raikou
  • Entei
  • Zapdos
  • Moltres
  • Articuno
  • Regice
  • Registeel
  • Regirock
  • Meloetta
  • Phione

*Mew the individual is a Major Legendary, whereas Mew as a species is considered Minor Legendary.

Legendary Branches of Authority

Naturally, there has to be order to the way the Legendaries operate, some level of cooperation. Otherwise, the world would fall apart. A long time ago, this sort of pecking order has been set up by Arceus so as to maximize every Legendary's potential and positively effect the world around them. This system is rather similar to a business setting, in that Pokemon of higher standing manage those below them and rarely do direct work, whereas those of lower authority are mostly the ones in the field, doing the work, and thus are the most commonly spotted by humans. 

At the very top of the pecking order is Arceus. He is the ultimate authority over everything that happens in the universe.

Underneath Arceus is Uxie, working like a secretary and personal assistant. 

The work of maintaining the rest of the world is divided between the creation trio. 

Dialga manages the Temporal aspect of the universe.

Directly underneath Dialga is Celebi, who perform tasks for Dialga across the time steam. 

Palkia manages the Spacial aspect of the universe.

Directly underneath Palkia is Rayquaza, who maintains balance geographically, and Deoxys, who maintain the universe outside of Earth.

Beneath Rayquaza is Kyogre, who manages the ocean Legendaries, and Groudon, who manages the land Legendaries.

Latios and Latias are considered emissaries between the land and ocean Legendaries, given their status as guardians of the coast.

Land Legendaries
Ho-Oh Regigigas Heatran

Volcanion Diance Shaymin
Suicune Raikou Entei

Regice Registeel Regirock

Tornadus Thundrus Landorus

Ocean Legendaries

Lugia Manaphy

Zapdos Moltres Articuno

Phione

Giratina is in charge of balance and the afterlife.

Directly underneath Giratina is Zygarde, who maintains the balance of life and death.

Beneath Zygarde is Xerneas, who manages birthrates and living beings, and Yveltal, who is in charge of death rates and general destruction. 

Mew also falls into this category, as the individual was the initial mother of all Pokemon, given some exceptions. Mew doesn't actually have a superior, save for Arceus.
Mewtwo is technically underneath Mew, and has been tentatively assigned as the Pokemon ambassador towards humans.
Mesprit and Azelf are in charge of emotions and will, respectively. Along with Uxie, they form the basis of morality from which the rest of the Pokemon beneath them lean on.
Zekrom and Reshiram represent ideals and truth, respectively, while Kyurem represents balance between the two and Victini decides which should win in any given argument.
Jirachi grants wishes, and Darkrai or Cresselia represent one's wishes through nightmares or dreams, respectively.
Cobalion, Virision, Terrakion, and Keldeo work underneath Mewtwo, helping out as protection for Pokemon against humans.
Meloetta and Magerna represent human advancement, and don't do much else.

Extended History of the Main Pokemon Universe

So, yeah. There isn't a lot of lore within the Pokemon Universe about how it came to be, causing a lot of fan discussion about who came first: Mew or Arceus. This is only my interpretation, and the version I use for all my role plays. 

Arceus was the first being to come in existence in the universe. The egg Arceus hatched from was made by the Aether, and given that Arceus was the only being alive for an indescribable period, he was imbued with a limitless source of Aether to use as he saw fit. Knowing that the more he made, the less he'd have, Arceus first devised seventeen items, called Plates, and imbued them with different elemental Aethers. These elemental Aethers formed the basis for the types we know and use to this very day. 

Using these new Plates, Arceus created the concept of space and time, and used a wide combination of Plates to fill the void with swirling gases and elements, forming the basis of a randomly generated, ever expanding universe. To help keep track of these abstract and unending concepts, he devised two beings to control them and a third to create stability and eventually become his heir. The first to hatch from the three new eggs was Giratina, who was to be Arceus' heir and manage the stability of the universe. The second to hatch was Dialga, the being of time, and the last was Palkia, the being of space. Shortly after their hatching, Arceus realized that the three of them required sustenance, an intake of Aether, in order to continue living. Unable to create a perfect being that required no Aetheric intake, Arceus instead created the Earth, a system to constantly regenerate Aether, perfect for habitation. It was then that the first plants began to spring, and as time passed, the four of them shaped the Earth to their whims, creating landscapes that would be otherwise impossible in today's ecosystem. Contempt with his creation, Arceus gave up his omniscience in the form of Uxie, omnipotence in the form of Azelf, and omnipresence in the form of Mesprit. The psychic residue left over from the creation of these three beings gathered, forming the being Mew. These four beings took to the world, Mew populating the Earth with more Mew, who would gradually over time mutate into the species we know today and the other three imbuing these new living beings with wisdom, will, and emotion.  

However, this paradise was not to last. Newfound jealousy gradually took hold in Giratina's heart. He thought himself greater than his brothers given his title of heir of the universe. Using Power imbued within him, he attacked his family, forcing his brothers into submission and nearly killing them, before threatening Arceus himself. In response to Giratina's actions, Arceus stripped Giratina of a good amount of his Power and banished him to a pocket dimension opposite the real world, known as the Reverse World or the Distortion World, where dead souls go to rest. Tired from the fight, Dialga and Palkia retreated to their own dimensions, and Arceus oversaw the remaining development of this world. 

During Giratina's banishment, three beings came to power, known as Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon. The latter of the two quarreled greatly, disturbing the land and ocean until it was beyond Arceus' recognition. Random bits of land and continent littered a wide sea, that would often grow and shrink. It wasn't until Rayquaza descended from the newly formed atmosphere that the two stopped and retreated down below the surface to rest. At this time, Regigigas and his trio rose to power, moving the land to form coherent continents. At this time, human and Pokemon were still indistinguishable from each other. Mew continuously gave birth to new and powerful Legendaries, and over the eons human and Pokemon started to separate from each other, defined by human's lack of elemental Aether. Slowly but surely, human presence became predominant on every continent, causing massive wars and struggles for resources and power, which only ended into a tentative peace as of recently. As a result of wars, a collection of Pokemon under the authority of Mewtwo have been designated ambassadors for Pokemon towards humans. 

Breeding and Hybrids

So, if you've been paying attention to the history, you'll notice that there was a time where Pokemon and humans were indistinguishable from each other. In fact, it states in canon that Pokemon and human marriages were actually rather common. So I've added a little headcanon surrounding the idea that humans and Pokemon are biologically able to produce offspring, thus leading to hybrids. I've also added more realism to Pokemon breeding, in that if you breed two Pokemon of different species, you'll end up with a hybrid Pokemon. Sometimes the effect is purely aesthetics, but sometimes this can result in the offspring having different movesets and different typings altogether.

First of all, we need a way to identify the offspring. The offspring of two parents who are not of the same species will always be categorized under the mother's species, regardless of how much resemblance towards the father the offspring may bear. Taking an extreme example, if you breed a male Skitty and a female Wailord, the offspring will always be Wailmer, even if the offspring looks 100% Skitty. Therefore, it's incredibly hard to guarantee that any Pokemon you catch in the wild will be a purebred Pokemon. They often are, but there's always a possibility that they're not. Fortunately, there are breeders who would be able to sell you purebred Pokemon if something like that really matters to you.

In this sense, one can throw egg groups out the window. Any Pokemon, under this headcanon, can breed with any Pokemon and produce fertile offspring. This also prevents there from being an overabundance of new species, at the expense that there's nearly limitless breeds available now. 

Let's look at the human factor in breeding now. This doesn't allow people to just willy-nilly breed with Pokemon and expect to get offspring. In fact, the only way for a human to breed with a Pokemon is if the Pokemon is capable of taking a human form, whether through an illusion or transformation. This severely limits the amount of Pokemon a human can produce offspring with, thus keeping some semblance of separation between humans and Pokemon. It's also worth stating here that all Legendaries have the ability to take on a human form at will.

Intro to the world of Mystery Dungeon

Welcome to the world of Pokemon! This is the gateway to a world inhabited only by Pokemon! You heard right, there's no humans in this universe. Just Pokemon, walking around talking, and generally forming a society so close to a Utopian human society that we might as well consider it one. As such, the above headcanon that Legendaries have human forms is negated in this universe. This universe is considered an offshoot, or pocket universe, from what we would consider the mainstream Pokemon games. As such, it has entirely different rules, items, and sets of Legendaries. The only Legendary that remains constant between this universe and the "main" universe is Arceus, who travels freely between the two universes.

This universe is predominantly set apart from the main universe by two factors. One is the total lack of humans, and the other is the occurrence of Mystery Dungeons. Mystery Dungeons are patches of land, anything from fields to forests to caves to sections of the ocean, that do not operate like they should. For one, the layout of the area is restricted to a dungeon-like system of rooms and paths. This layout of rooms and paths changes every time you enter it. You could get three rooms with lots of crossroads in the paths on one outing, and then five rooms with very little paths between them on another outing. It's impossible to predict the dungeon's lay out despite many collective years of research done by the Pokemon inhabiting this world. Each dungeon differs from one another given the location, the hostile Pokemon that reside within, and the number of floors to the dungeon. 

Because of the Mystery Dungeon's volatile nature, and the hostile environments often found within, they are both an intrigue and a hazard, as one can often meet a bad end within a dungeon, especially if the one who entered a dungeon entered in accidentally and was thus unprepared. Natural disasters and other world dangers are known to trigger the appearance of new Mystery Dungeons, making them extremely hazardous to young Pokemon who cannot defend themselves. As such, the Exploration Team Federation was set up, distributing and regulating the use of Exploration Team Badges, allowing Pokemon to escape from a dungeon instantaneously. They encourage Pokemon to group up and go on rescue missions, expeditions, or something similar where the team delves into the pits of dungeons, usually with the intent of helping out those who have been inconvenienced by the dungeon in question. 

In the many towns and villages that dot the mostly untamed landscape, Kecleon shops are a common commodity. They sell anything a team might need for going into dungeons. Drop boxes are also common, providing a magical storage that one can draw from wherever they find a drop box. Drop boxes are specific to the team using them, so no one can draw from another team's drop box. The last common item that one needs to be aware of, besides badges, are item bags. They come in different sizes, and the more missions you complete, the bigger your bag gets. 

Prior to the Plot

After the latest greatest catastrophe is averted, the world of Pokemon starts to settle down. Towns and villages expand, trade was taken up between different continents within the Pokemon world, and everything seemed to be looking up. However, it was during this moment of peace that final decisions were being made about the fate of the world. Sensing an oncoming Aetheric disaster, Arceus called together as many Legendaries as would answer his summons. "Corruption is coming," he spoke. "We must abandon our Power and memories, and take on new forms if we are to live." Heeding his words, the Legendaries one by one shed their forms and memories, making places for themselves among normal Pokemon in towns and cities. None knew why this was happening, why Arceus would command them to give up potentially the only thing that would prevent the spread of "Corruption" to the normal Pokemon, but they did as they were told.

Word spread slowly that the Legendary Pokemon were missing, but word did spread. Of course, not all Legendaries made it to a new form in time. Those that were left were slowly crystallizing, their bodies taken over by a black crystalline substance that slowly deteriorated the mind and sent them into a rampage until they could no longer move. Then the storms came. With no one left to regulate the weather, great unnatural storms began picking up, tidal waves the size of mountains, mountains suddenly opening up into giant chasms due to earthquakes. Towns crumbled. Hundreds lost their lives. The entirety of Pokemon kind took to caravans, moving about to prevent being caught in a storm. The black crystals didn't go away with the deaths of the remaining Legendaries, however. They appeared in Mystery Dungeons, poisoning normal Pokemon and dooming them to the same fate that befell the Legendaries.

It seemed as if the world was ending. 

About Corruption and Purity

The source of all this is, of course, the Corruption. I'll now explain the properties of Corruption and its antithesis, Purity. 

Corruption typically exists in the form of a pure black, opaque crystal. Corruption itself is a mutated form of Aether, mutated in the sense that it actively seeks out and destroys sources of pure Aether, starting with the largest source it can find. It acts like a parasite, finding itself a host and slowly leeching the Aether out of the host's system, causing the Corruption to expand and grow like a cancer. It's assumed that once you get Corruption in your blood stream, you're as good as dead. Corruption likes to gather around high sources of Aether, such as Legendary Pokemon or Mystery Dungeons. Corruption is also easily broken off and incredibly sharp, making it extremely easy to get into your system. It's best to keep a good distance from infected individuals and places, as airborne infection is not uncommon. 

Purity is also mutated Aether, but in the opposite way Corruption is. Purity takes the form of water: a clear, tasteless, scentless liquid. The only thing distinguishing Purity from water is Purity's ability to rapidly heal, and neutralize Corruption via dissolution and evaporation. Nothing but Purity can dissolve Corruption. Purity is just as easy to store and carry as water is, and isn't harmful to drink. In fact, Water-types may find themselves producing Purity for Water-type attacks instead of actual water for up to an hour after drinking Purity. Purity occurs naturally in randomly located springs all over the planet. Certain springs correlate to a certain Legendary Pokemon, and upon entering the spring, the Legendary is bestowed its former powers and memories, along with the ability to switch between their hidden form and their true form at will.

The Legendaries, prior to entering their spring, are naturally drawn towards the spring they correlate with, as a result of their Power being drawn towards Purity, and they themselves being drawn towards their Power. This was the only way to locate the Purity needed to beat back the Corruption. But naturally, the protagonists won't start off knowing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back