• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokémon: A Sinnoh Journey

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

AnthraxBurrito

Omnipotent Burro
Episode 0: Prologue
220px-Jubilife_City_anime.png

As noon approached on the warm and windy autumn day, the streets of Jubilife city began to fill with activity. Local vendors line streets selling toys, souvenirs, and local maps. The market booms to life with the tsunami of sound as traders and peddlers all begin to try and speak over each other, as to try draw in more customers. Standing in the center of the city surrounded by mountains, is the Jubilife Broadcasting Tower. It’s here most of Sinnoh’s tv and radio is broadcast from. On the front of the tower, facing the city square is giant digital screen, with a live feed of Jubilife’s signature station ‘Sinnoh View.’
On screen a special sneak peek for the new movie “Maximum Mask vs Brycen Man” is interrupted by a breaking news cast. As the intro cuts, the screen fades to the news anchors desk. A vibrant woman with bright eyes and dark hair sits with papers in hand, looking charismatically at the camera.

“Good afternoon, I’m Valerie Hideki, we interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to bring you this breaking news! We have just received word that Sinnoh League Champion Cynthia has officially been defeated by an unnamed challenger. According to our sources, the challenger beat the Elite four in record time before taking Cynthia on late last night in a League sanctioned match. As of right now, no information about this new champion has been released to the public. However, Ar-See-It-First News will be giving you the inside scoop. More details, tonight at 6!”

Down the street from the main square, a short distance from the Pokémon center lies the Luxio-urius Cafe, known for its electrifyingly good lemonade. Places like this are where travelers and trainers of all varieties gather to regale about past and current adventures. Gathered around a table in the corner of the dining area, sit three young trainers and their Pokémon. The three trainers are all newly graduated from school and have all only recently begun their adventures. The three of them sit around the table lost in the conversation. From the outside it would seem as though they were long time friends, laughing and filling the room with energy, when really they had only met briefly once before. As if by fate, they had all gone to the same summer camp the year before. And now they all sat in the same cafe a year later, reminiscing about Trainer Academy, camp, and their brief travels so far.

Mounted on the wall opposite the menu board is a small television, playing PSBN (Pokémon Sports & Battle Network). On screen is a battle replay from The Lily of the Valley conference finals three years ago. The footage shows the two finalist and their final Pokémon battling it out until the very end. As the smoke clears on the battlefield, Empoleon lay unconscious with Greninja only able to stand long enough to be declared the winner before fainting from exhaustion before being caught by its trainer, her flowing white hair covering their embrace. The screen then cuts back to the panel of analysts, ready to discuss the previously aired clip as well as the upcoming conference in the coming months.

Back in the Cafe the door opens, and a familiar mane of flowing white hair enters the shop. Most don’t recognize her, but a few who were just watching the television can’t help but notice the striking resemblance between the woman who just entered and the girl they just saw on tv. Most everyone fails to notice the rolling text across the bottom of the tv about Cynthia’s recent defeat.

Last edited:
Elliot Brookes
The small cafe was brought to life by the trio of trainers seated in the corner, each of them with their own unique pokemon partners, who were just as unique as the random assortment of trainers seated. The taller of the three was a young man called Eliott, with snow-white hair, and a Yanma perched on his shoulder nibbling on an Oran berry as the young adults went on laughing and chatting with each other.

"Feels like just yesterday I was burning pokeblocks and pissing off camp counselors, it's weird because even then we all never talked much, just a 'hi' and 'bye' deal so It's weird seeing you guys again...but in a good way," Eliott stated with an entertained laugh, as he caught up with the two familiar faces, Ashley he knew from some of the trainer courses in school, and Julian a soon-to-be coordinator, an interesting choice but respectable nonetheless, and Eliott always found contest to be pretty interesting so knowing someone other than his sister would be involved was pretty cool.

The journey down from Snowpoint was long and taxing, Eli and Delta had to jump through some hoops just to make it down to Jubilife City in one piece. So one could imagine the surprise when he ran into not only one of his old classmates but two! While the three of them weren't the best of friends it was relieving to see some familiar and somewhat friendly faces out here.

Taking a sip from his lemonade as the male's eyes wandered up to one of the many screens, just to catch the end of a pokemon battle on tv with the victory of a young trainer and her Greninja celebrating a victory before the pokemon's collapse, "She's not half bad, and Greninja is definitely a pokemon I'd want to battle one day," Eliott stated, mainly to himself as the door to the cafe swung open with a faint chime. "I'm gonna go get a refill," Eliott shook the empty cup, causing ice to rattle around as the taller male rose from his seat and headed towards the counter, however, Delta's sudden erratic buzzing and wing flapping threw the male off as he turned momentarily to calm the frantic pokemon before bumping into someone, not hard enough to knock the young trainer off balance but enough to make him focus on the smaller obstacle in his way.

"Sorry, I...I didn't see you there." Eliott reached up, readjusting his glasses as he looked down at the woman, blinking a few times as he studied her features for a few moments, "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

"It's possible," Her steely eyes drifted to the fluttering bug hovering around the young man's shoulders, offering little in terms of an introduction. A small smile tugged her off pink lips ever so slightly upwards, and she offered softly, "He's got quite some energy. I wonder if being indoors makes him less comfortable?"

Or maybe she was just reflecting. The minimized luxury ball attached to a band around her wrist shuddered slightly in acknowledgement to her comment. Hiroki. He didn't want to walk around the busy city of Jubilife with her, nor did he want to come inside the Luxio-urius Cafe even if there was food -- he preferred to be alone, and alone he stayed inside his capsule. Sometimes she wished he would come out and walk beside her, but those days were few and far between, he wasn't quite the froakie he used to be.

"Name's Jorah," She said it a bit quietly, as if she didn't want others to hear, and tilted her head in his direction ever so slightly. "I'm from out of the region, and... I don't know what's good around here. Do you have any recommendations?" Combing her fingers through her spiraling white locks, she let her hair fall to the side effortlessly whilst peering up at the menu, not quite sure what to make of all the specialties though she was quite excited to try something. "If I bought one of everything, would you try it with me?" She laughed like a wind chime, waving off her own comment.

Sinnoh was so new. But already, she loved the culture. Anything that was a different scenery from the one back home was welcome. There was a slight tug to her heart -- she would have liked to have made this journey with her father -- he shared her enthusiasm, and they'd always indulge in so many new things together. She hadn't seen him since her league battle, and he hadn't the slightest idea of what she'd left behind to start this journey. The news of her departure was probably just making it's way around the region, she'd escape the gossip just in time -- but it would catch up to her. The thought was a bit suffocating, but she was determined to make the most of this new life before she was gripped by reality and brought back to her past. She craved exploration -- even bumping into this stranger was more exciting that where she'd been in the last few weeks. Change started here. Now she just had to find the balance.

Last edited:
Jubilife City was quite a different beast when compared to Solaceon Town.

The towering buildings and crowded streets felt like an entirely new world from the open plains and farms of home. The moment Julian stepped into the city, he knew choosing to leave and set off on a journey had been one of the best decisions he’d ever made. He was meant to be here. The grass truly felt greener on the other side of Mt. Coronet. And with Noir at his side, or more accurately tucked away in her pokeball, his determination to make the most of this and reach for the stars and the title of Top Coordinator was only increased.

The first surprise of his adventure came when he ran into not one but two people he’d met from school events and the summer camp a while back. Eliott Brooks and Ashley Denson. Fortunately, he hadn’t known them very well back then and neither did they know him, which meant he probably didn’t have to worry about being remembered as “that country boy”. No one would take him seriously as an up-and-coming coordinator if they knew he had, almost quite literally, been raised in a barn.

Now he was seated in the Luxio-urius Cafe with the two, talking about whatever, reminiscing about the past, and stating their plans for the future. Noir had even come out of her pokeball, though now she was refusing to get up from his lap or interact with the others, but it was a start.

Julian let out a laugh. “Well, it’s nice to see you guys too. Good luck with the whole trainer-thing. Stiff competition out there, you know?” His eyes had roamed over to the television playing, where a girl and her Greninja had bested Cynthia - as in league champion, best of the best Cynthia that even he knew about from farmville. The white-haired girl was a prime example of the kind of competition ahead for battlers, but at least Eliott seemed eager about it.

He gave a short nod as the other boy left to get his refill, his eyes shifting to the door as the bell let out a cheery chime. The girl who entered the cafe certainly looked familiar, but he couldn’t be sure of anything from this distance. Julian looked back at Ashley.

“So, does this make you and Eliott rivals?” Having a little friendly and familiar competition sounded like fun, but Julian couldn’t help feeling relieved that he most likely didn’t have to worry about fighting on the stage with anyone he knew. “I don’t know who I should root for,” he added with a chuckle.

Ashley Denson
For a big city girl like herself, Ashley actually didn't mind the smaller scale of Jubilife. The city had a certain kind of vibe to it that she couldn't quite place her finger on. While Hearthome was loud, exciting and bustling with life - an atmosphere she begrudgingly learned to tolerate - Jubilife was much more relaxed and calm in comparison. You could sit back and just enjoy the city, enjoy the faint smell of the ocean that blew over from route 208, enjoy the aroma of coffee invading her senses from the cafe and be lost in thought for seemingly forever.

It felt something like false nostalgia. It felt like she had been there her entire life despite only setting foot in the city that day.

Of the three soon-to-be-trainers, she was the one that least spoke, mostly just nodding and humming at the others' comments. She was still in just as much disbelief as the rest of them, she just didn't feel the need to express it.

Her hands were tucked inside her hoodie's sleeves, leaving only her fingers exposed to clutch her cup of coffee close to her chest. Misdreavus was inside her dusk ball. Ashley would've liked to let her loose, but past experiences taught her that was a very bad idea in a public place like this. It was clear Misdreavus hated this too, seeing how much the dusk ball shook on her waist band.

Ashley was snapped out of her trance when Elliot, the cute guy she actually bothered to pay attention to, made a comment about a trainer on TV and their Greninja. Her eyes wandered to the screen, catching only a glimpse of the person's long white hair before the camera changed to the broadcasters. She followed Elliot as he got up from the table, studying some of his tattoos.

"So, does this make you and Elliot rivals?" Her blue eyes shifted over to Julian, the other person on the table. "I don't know who I should root for." He chuckled, eliciting a small smile from her. Ashley contemplated Julian's question, shooting a glance at Elliot who seemed to be talking to someone. She returned her gaze to Julian and shrugged. "I guess so. Isn't that how this trainer business works?"

Last edited:
Elliot Brookes

The woman was a bit strange he had to admit and she had this cool energy about her, but Eliott's focus shifted back as she mentioned Delta as he buzzed around the trainer's shoulder with a bit of nervous energy. "Hey, take it easy," He stated calmly as the bug-type reluctantly landed on the back of his shoulder, the pokemon's green head peaking over the trainer's shoulder as he watched the interaction, wings still fluttering rapidly as he shuffled on the shirt of the young man. "Yeah, he gets a bit excited sometimes, I think it's the enclosed space since he's used to roaming more freely."

His eyes went up to scan the menu as the other spoke, his eyes going a bit wide from the comment about buying one of everything, but was quickly calmed by the woman's laughter, earning a slight chuckle from Eliott as he looked down at her. She was still rather familiar, but perhaps she simply resembled someone he knew, with the white hair she kind of reminded him of one of his sisters, but her attitude was the only real difference. "Well, I'd suggest trying their lemonade since it's pretty good, or if you're a bit more mature than that like my friend Ashley you can go for the coffee instead." She made a light gesture back towards the table he and his friends were occupying, causing the Yanma to hover a bit and out of the way as he swapped shoulders. "You're more than welcome to join us if you want, we were just doing a bit of catching up." His gaze fell back on Julian and then Ashley for a moment as they spoke, but soon returned to Jorah. "Out of the region huh? So where are you originally from?"

Eliott finally stepped up to the counter, greeting the server before offering up his empty cup and pulling out his wallet and grabbing a few crisp bills as he eyed the menu again, "One refill, and whatever my friend is having, please." He offered the woman a smile before stepping over so she could order, "Whatever you want, on me, it's the least I can do for bumping into you." he stated while Delta buzzed in protest for a moment before silencing himself, obviously becoming occupied with something else as he gazed off around the cafe.

"I'm Elliot it's nice to meet you Jorah, so what brings you down to Jubilife?" He finally asked as he rolled up the arms of his dark green long sleeve, his eyes studying the woman a bit before falling onto the luxury ball attached to her wrist, which meant she was either a trainer or had a really expensive fashion sense compared to Delta's simple red and white capsule which was attached to the Pokeball holster on his hip, his eyes leaving her wrist as he ordered a Sitrus berry for the Yanma to snack on which gained more rapid fluttering as he saw the fruit being grabbed from the beautiful display basket. "Yeah, Yeah calm down...so spoiled."

"Hm," Jorah gave an amused hum, looking a bit reminiscent as the lissome male before he gestured back to his peers. A small group of three, hardly younger than her though she thought of them as bright eyed kids just looking for their next battle. They held a sort of beginners enthusiasm that was not only infectious, but amusing -- she remembered those feelings, and it seemed to stir in her chest, bringing a warmth to her ivory cheeks. That's why she was here, it's what she wanted, to feel life ignited in her where it was once a dimming flame dying beneath the weight of obligation. With a soft hum and a shy wave in their direction, she responded, "I'd love to join."

"Kalos. I've seen very little of Sinnoh..."

"You're too kind, honestly," She squinted up at the board one last time before leaning towards the counter and placing her order. "I'll take one Pinap smoothie, that'll be all. Thank you."

As the cashier took her order, Jorah found this young man -- Elliot -- asking the dreaded question of her intentions. What brought her here. Did she indulge on the misery that had encapsulated her for the last several months of her life, of which she was running from in order to satisfy herself? Or did she simply say... "A change of pace. Wanted to see more of what Sinnoh had to offer, I'm getting a bit of a... fresh start, if you will," she watched as Elliot's partner pokemon nibbled at its treat, lightly tapping the luxury ball at her wrist with her nails, noting that not even a treat would bring her partner out considering his mood. This was not his ideal environment -- and Hiroki was not exactly the most personable amphibian on the planet. She seemed to wear a face of slight worry for a few moments before a cafe worker called out Elliot's name, and both orders were slid across the counter.

Jorah gratefully took her beverage and gestured for Elliot with a half smile and a wave of her hands towards his friend's table, "After you."

When she found herself seated she combed back her wispy locks and offered the two she'd yet to have been introduced to, a courteous smile. "Hi, I'm Jorah. Elliot tells me you're all just catching up. How long do you intend to stay in Jubilife? Are you all having a proper journey?"

“Oh? Then with that logic y’all - all of you trainers must be rivals then, huh?” Whoops, near slip-up there, but it was all good. Eyebrow rising at best, but probably not worth noting, not when Ashley seemed more focused on eyeing Elliott at the moment. Anyway, Julian supposed that made sense. If all trainers aimed to collect badges and enter the league, then that must make every single person competition. Brutal. He wondered how many of those trainers in the world would do whatever they could to make it to the top. Ideally, everyone would be friendly rivals with no hard feelings between matches...but Julian doubted it could be that simple. The contest world was probably the same, though on a fortunately smaller scale. It just meant there were more opportunities to stand out - for him to stand out. Would Julian do whatever he could to make it to the top? He wanted to think so, had faith in the dream he carried, but it was difficult to say anything until he finally got onto the stage.

Hmm, what kind of rivalry would spring up between Elliott and Ashley?

Julian followed Ashley’s gaze toward Elliott and the pale-haired girl. Did those two know each other? They were still talking, for whatever reason, when the other boy had said he was just going to get a refill. But a moment later it seemed like he was finally making his way back - with the girl in tow.

In response to this new and approaching company, Noir shivered and nudged at her Pokeball. Relenting, Julian let her return to it just as the two made it to the table. He glanced up at the girl - Jorah - as she introduced herself. She almost seemed to give off an aura of effortless elegance, the kind he wanted to have and perfect one day.

“Julian. Nice to meet you,” he replied with an amicable grin. “The journey’s just started actually - I’d stay in Jubilife forever if I could, but, you know. So, do you two-" He made a motion with his finger, pointing between Elliot and Jorah and back again. "...know each other or something?”

Ashley Denson
"Oh? Then with that logic all of you trainers must be rivals then, huh?"

Ashley raised her eyebrows with Julian's observation. He had a point.

"Guess so." She replied weakly as she took another sip of her coffee and sunk in her seat. Her eyes shifted to the dusk ball on her side. She thumbed over the capsule, eliciting a reaction from Misdreavus.

Ashley was taken out of her trance with Elliot's return to their table, along with a pale, white haired woman. She couldn't help but frown at this girl, and her frown only deepened when she started asking questions.

Ashley stayed completely quiet while this girl introduced herself to the boys, behaving as her typical socially reclusive self, and wondered. How can someone just approach a group of random people and act completely natural? She almost died when she moved to a new school and the teacher made her introduce herself to the entire class. She just couldn't wrap her head around it.

bg004a.jpg
With a newly made friend, and full stomachs, the party of young people paid their bill and exited the cafe. The difference being, that they all entered alone (not counting Pokémon) and all walked out now feeling apart of something. An undeniable, indescribable chemsistry among the group kept the conversation flowing as they kept walking. Without even realizing it the group had made their way down a few city blocks to the Jubilife Cenntenial Park.

Deciding on a brief stroll through the park, the young trainers found a rather serene spot in the park, unable to be ignored. Calling forth their Pokémon partners, the group began to lounge around, never letting the conversation die. Consistently being brought up was the semi-fictional rivalry being joked about between Elliot and Ashley. That was until, the challenge was set forth. Though it's not clear who exaclty laid the challenge for the battle, neither stood down from the opposition. What had started as a running joke in the converstion had now turned into the stage for a battle.

The two young trainers Ahsley and Elliot with their partners, now oppostite eachother, ready for battle. Both Jorah and Julian sit on the bench nearby, eagerly awaiting the start of the battle. As Ashley prepares herself for battle, she notices something. In the trees behind her oppenent, a few leaves shuffle only slighty, but enough to catch her gaze. With some focus she is able to catch the glimpse a fairy looking Pokémon, with a bright pink crown. In the same moment she notices the strange and peculiar looking pokemon, it vanishes.

Last edited:
Eliott Brookes

With everyone introduced and well acquainted, the group headed out from the cafe, carrying on seemingly never-ending conversations and from the outside looking in one would think they'd known each other all their lives rather than a few hours. Eliott enjoyed the chemistry among the group, and Delta seemed to appreciate the extra company as well.

After their little nature walk in the park had come to a nice stop as the group settled in a nice secluded spot, their pokemon roaming free, each either reflecting their trainers in some way or doing their own thing entirely. The conversation of trainers and the joke of a rivalry between Eliott and Ashley had somehow sparked into an actual challenge between both rookie trainers. "Delta," For once the sound of his name was enough for the bug-type to change his course mid-flight and land on the white-haired males outstretched forearm, his wings fluttering lightly as he gave Eli his full attention.

"We're gonna battle Ashley, even though it's a friendly battle I still want you to take it seriously." His instructions were noted as the insect took flight again, his movements now fluid as he seemed to be studying the wind, his wings moving in a solid rhythm. "Alright, best of luck Ashley and Julian take notes, buddy you're looking at the next Sinnoh champ," He gave them both a smile before giving the dark-haired trainer his full attention, mentally preparing himself as best he could for their first real battle.

He would also take this moment to evaluate not only himself but Ashley as well. Maybe she could be his rival, but he wanted his rival to be someone with great potential and someone who could force him to get even better each time and a part of him did believe she could do that, but he had to see for himself first.

Last edited:
Jorah was amused. It'd been quite some time since she'd last journeyed around with strangers, especially ones with that same beginners passion that she hadn't felt in months. Some people managed to maintain that burning fire throughout their careers, whatever they ended up doing -- she found it hard to understand how someone tied down in a gym or league could possibly still retain that flare that makes a trainer what they are, yet her superiors, people like Gardenia or even Jorah's old companion Barry were always on fire for the next gym battle, it was their place in this world. Jorah couldn't say the same about herself -- being here, even just in this serene little underrated park, amidst strangers that chatted up possibilities they had yet to attain... That was where the real magic was. On her face was a genuine smile that stayed there all throughout the conversation, even though she mostly just listened and offered her two cents here and there. She let them talk and just listened -- listened to the romance that was beginning anew. Hiroki, however, was far less interested, as to be expected -- he kept to himself, watching from a distance as the others interacted, occasionally eyeing his trainer. He understood her desire for change, but couldn't help feeling remorse for the type of characters she picked to spend her time with -- they could be doing so much more with their time, and instead they were... entertaining children during their obvious first battle. He felt Jorah's eyes on him and turned away, showing some obvious displeasure.

"Oh, 'Roki..." She grimaced, a bit of an irritated puff to her right cheek. He preferred the gym life but loyally left with her when she chose a different path -- it was a bit selfish, she'd admit, taking him away in his prime. Yet she hoped this change of pace would be better for both of them.

Jorah felt a bit like the odd one out believe it or not -- she had enough experience to put an obvious barrier between herself and the others -- yet, they did not know this and until the information became relevant, she would not tell. It was nice -- to be mysterious, to not be known for anything quite yet.

"Don't go easy on each other -- give it everything you've got," She offered to both teens, palms gripping the edge of her bench to support her weight as she leaned forward a little bit, obviously interested in the battle to come. They were academy students so they had to have some kind of way of thinking, influenced by the various strategies gushed over by the school.

Ashley Denson
As to be expected, Ashley had remained quiet during their walk to and in the park, but at this point, she actually started feeling a bit more comfortable around this group of people. She had actually started a conversation once, and properly greeted Jorah, throwing in a compliment about her lucious hair.

The group settled down in a clearing in the park. Everyone had their pokemon out of their pokeballs except her. Ashley didn't want to keep Misdreavus from playing with other pokemon, but the problem was that she was way too bold and mischievous, so she was forced to keep her under control for their own sakes. But out in the wild like this, she figured it couldn't be that bad.

As the group talked and talked, Ashley couldn't help but keep an eye on Misdreavus. The worst thing she could do was get in a fight with a flock of Starly after harassing them, but to her pleasure, nothing like that happened.

At least the "getting into a fight" part.

When Eliott challenged her to a fight, a genuine smile grew on her face. She quickly got up from her spot, already excited at the prospect. Misdreavus, who was currently trying to figure a way to scare Jorah's Greninja to no avail, was called over by Ashley. She glared at Hiroki before floating over to where Ash was.

Misdreavus was thrilled when she learned Eliott and Ashley were gonna battle. She turned over to Eliott's pokemon, one that she hadn't seen before, but it didn't matter. Ashley stood behind her, assuming her position in the battle.

"Alright, best of luck Ashley. And Julian - take notes, buddy, you're looking at the next Sinnoh champ," Ashley couldn't help but scoff at Eliott's remark. "Such confidence for someone who's just about to have their first battle," Ashley replied with a malicious grin, matching the one Misdreavus had herself. Ashley hung her head, her bangs covering her eyes.

"Good luck."

It was almost funny how quickly the group fell into place, as if they were meant to be. Julian had arrived in Jubilife City alone, aside from Noir, with full intentions to focus solely on achieving his dream. He certainly hadn’t imagined meeting and making friends almost immediately that same day. The fact that he happened to know, however vaguely, two out of three of those people too....well, some people might call it fate. Julian called it a happy coincidence.

The conversation was easy for him to keep up with - well, conversation was never difficult for a social butterfly like him, but there was a particular sort of ease and comfort that came with speaking to the group of trainers. Even though Ashley didn’t say very much and Jorah was probably a little too cool be hanging out with rookies like them - it was still nice.

Jubilife Centennial park was nice too, and once the group settled into their own little picturesque spot beneath the canopy of trees and the sunlight, the conversation took a (not unexpected) turn. Nervous about the battle that was about to get underway, Noir shivered and scrambled to hide behind his legs as he and Jorah settled onto a bench. Unlike his Pokemon partner, Julian was eager to see how this would play out. He wasn’t one for battling himself but seeing the fire alight in Elliot’s and Ashley’s eyes made him want to witness what kind of tone their budding relationship could spark up from this battle. First impressions were everything, and this fight could very well set a precedent for their future battles. He was also particularly interested in seeing what kind of moves Yanma and Misdreavus would show off.

“Will do!” Julian replied with a laugh and a clap of his hands to Elliot’s remark about taking notes. “Good luck, you guys! Show us a good fight, okay!” He cast a brief glance over at Jorah, who had eagerly leaned forward, and grinned before looking back at the two and leaning forward a bit himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back