• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Digital ♡ [Pls Help Me Get Better At Art Stuffs] ♡

AlluringRose

Graceful Rose
Hey, all! So, I've been wanting to try and get better at digital art for a while now, but I honestly have no idea where to start. I know I first need a tablet and an art program, but I'm not sure where to get the good ones for good prices.

If you have any advice, please let me know! Once I have the required equipment, I'll [try] to post the art I do here for critiques.

♡♡♡♡♡

You could try a Wacom Bamboo tablet and a drawing program called Krita. Krita is a free open source program for digital art. The Bamboo tablet is entry level that you can order online for less than 100 bucks. I feel like these a cheap options to get started.

Look on websites like craiglist as well! Just a month or so ago I found the tablet I have started digital art on (A Intuos Draw, Small) for only twenty dollars and in almost new condition. You never know what you mind find in your area - probably for a cheaper price than buying it new. As for programs, Krita, like Simon said, is a great program! I also recommend FireAlpaca and Autodesk Sketchbook. They've been great for me and I'm just starting out as well.

Agreed, Wacom Bamboo is pretty much perfect for a beginner. The first tablet I got was one of these and it served me well for at least five or six years of intense use. It still works and I still carry it with me when I travel.

In any case, look for one with a touch area that is all little larger than a half of an a4 page is size. Bigger models help to draw faster but thats about it.

At first it will feel weird to draw without looking down at the page. Get an image on your screen and try to draw an exact copy next to it. This exercise will help you get used to it in a couple of attempts.

///

I will recommend Clip studio. The basic version costs about 30$ and its all you will ever need (unless you plan to animate stuff).

Long term, Photoshop is great but I wouldn't worry about it. It is expensive and not the best if you only want to draw.

As an alternative to that you might want to invest in iPad Pro. I haven't used it myself but all my friends are saying how good it is and I tend to trust them.
Bonus of that is you won't need PC to draw and can draw anywhere. And can use the tablet for other things besides drawing.
Drawback is price because iPad Pro costs a lot.
From android tablets that are good for drawing I could suggest Samsung S4. It even has a pen that can be used to draw right away and doesn't need recharge like Apple pencil.
Pros are the same as for iPad and pen comes with tablet, cons are price again and Android apps are slightly worse for drawing.

As for the purely drawing tablets, I agree with what people above suggested. Wacom is a good brand.
If you want cheaper alternatives, you can look at brands like Huion or Xp-pen. They're good too.

All tablets will need some time to get used to if you never drew on one. So don't be surprised if you draw worse on them, just keep practicing.

Krita is a good free program for drawing. Sketchbook became free as well so it's also a nice one.
Another one you could try that is free too - MediBang Paint.

I'm using Clip Studio Paint for many years by now and love it. There are discounts few times per year that make it more affordable and well worth the money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back