[Please Stand By] Caps or Resources?

Should we use the Resources system as set in the nWoD core book, or actually count out caps?

• Caps!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Resources!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thorn Darkblade

I know lots of things. Lots of things...
While we are using World of Darkness as our core rules, I am playing around with customization and various tweaks. The question inevitably came up- "How do I want to handle money?"

Part of the fun of Fallout was finding and scavenging bottlecaps in the oddest places, and saving up just enough to get that special something, at least until endgame where money was no longer an issue. An actual money rating instead of abstracted resources also will make playing up the survival aspect of the game a bit more. Doing what you have to, just to be able to afford a bit of dirty water and a couple bullets from a merchant, is part of the charm of a post-apocalyptic environment.

Currently, WoD uses a rank system of 0-5 to represent a rough estimate of your wealth. It's quicker and easier, but, at the same time, it loses a bit of magic of cap collecting. It's more Storyteller decision on how much water you can afford, instead of an actual number.

Both systems have their merits and flaws, and I am currently having a hard time deciding. So, I figured, why not discuss it with you, the player. I'll answer questions about both sides, and how I would intend to handle them.

I told you already, just replace all of the fluff with appropriate hauls of chems, water, meds, food, caps, and ammo. Property means nothing and keeping it at a max of three is perfect for most Wastelanders lest they're merchants. :P

Caps! All the way, I've even got a couple of rare golden Nuka-Cola caps...

Captain Hesperus

Most likely the Resources merit will come to represent, as C-Dub said, stockpiles of various wasteland goods that aren't easily represented in inventory items, like access to medical or computer tech, a source of pure water or food, or a large ammo stockpile.

Resources 5 - [Character] has access to an unpolluted, no rad artisian well that no one else knows about.

Yeah, shit like that. Would renameit Stockpile, and actually money issues would be a matterof cap counting.

Suddenly, "Put a cap in in his ass" takes on a whole new meaning....

Captain Hesperus

Well, so far votes are unanimous towards actually counting caps, so, we'll start with that. Starting characters will get a standard amount of caps, with the ability to purchase more at chargen. I'll be using actual prices from Fallout, to make pricing everything easier. Bartering will give discounts, but nothing game breaking (probably 15-20% for an exceptional success, with a possible extra percentage from perks and factional discounts). Next question- What should starting caps be for standard characters? I'm personally thinking 500, with an additional 200-300 per background bought in starting rich. This ought to be enough for most characters to start with decent gear, but without being able to break the game with unique items.

What did the Vault Dweller start with in Fallout? I was wondering because, for a group sealed away from the rest of the world for x number of years, they're likely not going to know much about the current currency. The possibility of bartering 'trade goods' (flasks of water, batteries, light bulbs, etc) for caps is worth a thought as well...

Captain Hesperus

I've already thought of that problem. Vault 99 knows of the currency. Before evacuating, they have had a few recon teams on the outside. It was never meant as a control vault to stay closed forever, once background radiation was low enough, preliminary recon started. Actual exodus from the Vault wasn't planned for at least half a century more though, so, they are still caught with their pants a bit down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back