Party 17

Rolax approaches the other Half-Orc warily

"Let me guess, odd mist, bright flash, appeared in a town you don't know?" Chucking to the heavens "The God's really are having their fun today." Indicating the group "You don't want to travel alone in this place. To get you up to speed. Vampires, werewolves, undead. We seek vengeance on Count Strahd but first we need to inter our companions father."

Stepping forward he holds out a hand "I'm Rolax, this is the Baron Lykos Zaal, those two are Ismark and Ireena. What say you travel around with us for a bit? I promise it won't be dull"

Thorvir grips Rolax's hand and smiles toothily. "I'm sure. This place definitely doesn't lack for surprises."

"I'm Thorvir, by the way. Nice to meet you all. You say we're interring their father? Let's hope the folks in the church are nicer than the rest of the monsters out here,"

ismark.jpg"Well met, Thorvir. I am Ismark Kolyanovich. I would succeed my father as burgomaster of this sad village, but my sister and I are leaving for the town of Vallaki. Strahd von Zarovich, the adversary Sir Rolax describes, has made it his business to torment Ireena, and all around us will be in danger while she remains here."

"If you want to see an example of von Zarovich's cruelty, come to the church with us. The priest Donavich is a good man, but a year ago his son Doru joined a failed uprising against von Zarovich. The evil Count made Doru into an undead monstrosity and sent him home to his father. Now he haunts the church's undercroft, calling out to his father. It may break your hearts, but we must steel ourselves and not be taken in by his cries as we complete the task before us."

Thorvir's eyes narrow at the mention of undead. "Gods, that is a fate I'd not wish upon anyone. Consider my heart steeled, Ismark. I'd accompany you to this church and see this business done."

As they begin to walk, Thorvir's hands often hover over the pair of axes on his belt, as if checking to make sure they are still there. He seems tense and alert to any sounds around them.

A big bulky hairy human approach the party from the mist. His walk is clumsy and he holds a great axe.
"Hello there!, random people, I got lost in the mists on my way to Daggerfell, do you know how do I get there?

Rolax laughed at the new comer "And then there were 6. A nice, round number"

"Come with us, we will explain on the way. It's not advisable to be out on your own. It's been a strange night for all, yet I feel it will get stranger still" glancing at the Humans Axe, Rolax mentally compared. His was bigger, naturally. It wouldn't do to be shown up by a Human.

Magnus stops to stare at the building before going in. "Of course the church also looks like something out of a horror strory." He sighs and begins to wander inside, lagging behind the others to finally get out of the disguise. He bolts into the first door to his left, closing it behind him without making a sound. "At least this room seems normal."

The half elf gets out of the room as silently as he got in, and gets back to the front door slamming it, as if he just got to the building. "Rolax! You can't just get lost and then walk into church with some strangers. It's all Zaal's fault, I tell you that one is a completely lost cause." This time he's back to the usual blond hair and the deep purple mask that covers the right side of his face. "You even managed to lose track of him. Buddy, you should rethink this job as a body guard."

Rolax looked to Magnus and supressed a chuckle

"Magnus!" He exclaimed "I wondered where you had got to." Looking around and acting shocked at the lack Zaal "Oh dear, he appears to have gone off on his own again. He doesn't pay me enough to go looking for him. I'm sure he will turn up at some point."

"Ismark and Ireena" He turned to address the siblings "This is your town, and your Father. We will follow your lead. What would you have us do?"

Enough waiting, we need to find out what is happening now, Thorvir thinks to himself. He strides into the church confidently, looking for any sort of latch or door leading to a basement. Approaching the priest at the front, he says, "Greetings, Father. Quite the interesting temple you tend to, isn't it? Regardless, we need your aid in the burial of Ismaark and Ireena's father. Think you can help?"

ismark.jpg"But sir," explains Ismark to the newly-revealed Magnus. "Your lord Zaal is right here with us! He honors us as pallbearer." He turns to look back at the rear end of his father's coffin, which was previously supported by Rolax and "Zaal". Only Rolax stands there now, holding the full load. "Oh dear. Knowing Baron Zaal was our last, best hope, that devil Strahd has used his dark powers to snatch him away from us. I am so sorry Rolax and Magnus, but he is lost to us now. Quickly, into the church!"

"Father Donavich, it is us, Ismark and Ireena. The Devil's relentless assaults have been the Burgomaster's undoing! Can you please perform the sacred rites for us? These four fellows you see here are all recent arrivals, prisoners of the mists, but have generously agreed to do whatever is needed to assist. If there is digging to be done, or anointing oils to prepare, just say the word."

While Father Donavich collects himself, Ismark turns to his new companions and whispers, "Steel your hearts, friends. It is best not to mention Donavich's son who cries so loud below. Performing the duties to which he is accustomed will be a welcome, if too-brief distraction from his suffering. And if you wish it, he may be able to say some prayers for the soul of Baron Zaal. I fear your lord now joins the March of the Dead."

"I don't know if our time constraints would allow us to stay untill next morning, but that's for his children to decide." Magnus reaches into his pouch and produces a book. "However, I'd like to ask something of you, Father. Between the moment we got to this town and our arrival in your hurch, our friend Lykos Zaal went missing. Ismark has warned us that he's probably dead in Strahd's hands. I'd like to say a few words to honor his demise, and tell a tale to inspire hope in the hearts of those who have lost it."

He waits for the old man's approval and recites a small epitaph for the 'Noble'. When he finishes it, he opens the book and tells the tale of a young half orc, who had his home wrecked by a gnoll raid. The boy, although lonely, was a beacon of hope for his friends on their dark times. "...Much like Zaal was. Much like we need to be for each other. Thank you."

Last edited:
Rolax rolled his eyes at Magnus "Yes, yes, he was a good man."

Turning to Ismark and Ireena, "Not to put too a fine a point on it, but I feel we should get out of here as soon as we are able."

"Sorry for wasting your time Father, but as my companions stated, we need to get away. Could you do the burial right away? I'm sure it won't take too long." Magnus smiles to the religious man and pats him on the shoulder. Then, he crosses the room and stands besides rolax whispering, "I'll explain it later."

ismark.jpgAfter conferring briefly with Ireena, Ismark turns to Rolax. "Agreed. Circumstances have taken us well past the point of decorum. Even if we were to shelter here in the church, saying prayers to the Morninglord as we endure the cries from below, I shudder at the prospect of another night in this Villiage with Count Strahd about."

Thorvir keeps a healthy distance from the ominous graves nearby. He wraps his cloak around tighter as the chill wind whips about, before deciding the effort to be futile.

"I wouldn't be opposed to that. Getting a better grasp on our surroundings certainly couldn't hurt, and more allies are always welcome. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a 'Vistani'?"

Kiv finds himself sitting in the dirt on an unremarkable roadside, breathing hard. Last he remembered a creature had crawled out of its hiding place in the kitchen of that damned house. Full of ghosts and noises and that cockatrice -- they'd never retrieve it for the snail now, if it hadn't been destroyed when the house collapsed around him and his companions. His companions!

The bronze-scaled dragonborn quickly glanced around the mist in this gloomy new setting, but he found only Patrick beside him.

"Where is everyone else?" he asked as he stood, wiping the first from his armor. "Are we the only ones that made it out?" He thought of Ansel and Nero trapped in the rubble of that awful place and shuddered.

Last edited:
Patrick lets out a short yell for his missing companions. "Neroooo", he yells, "Ansellllll!" Patrick waits for a second or two and measures the rubble's response. He looks for a shift in the debris or a faint cry of help but notices nothing. "It looks like that if Nero and Ansel are alive, then they are probably unconscious. And its dangerous to rummage through the wreckage with just the two of us," Patrick sighs.

Patrick declares, "We need some help," looking at Kiv.

"It doesn't look like we are still in Daggerford. I recognize nothing around here. So lets see if we can try and find anyone who isn't trying to kill us."
Patrick stands ups and readjusts his clothing and his rapier, and starts to walk around and surveys the area.

Last edited:
ismark.jpgSeeing the two strangers by the road ahead of them, Ismark puts an arm out and whispers to Thorvir, Magnus and Rolax, "Look, two more travelers who do not have the look of native Barovians. Do you know them? The taller one, I have never seen his like before. There are tales that an order of dragon knights once had a fortress in the foothills of Mount Ghakis. Do you think he could be descended from those legendary warriors?"

Thorvir eyes the two strangers with a steady gaze. He does a double take at Ismark's comment. "The bronze fellow over there? He's just a dragonborn, do you not have those in Barovia?"
Thorvir turns to Magnus and Rolax. "Should we talk with them? If they're friendly enough, then a few extra hands would certainly be of use to us. What do you all think?"

Rolax turns to look at Ireena "If we can find aid against Strahd, then I am all for a small detour. Magus, Thorvir, lets go talk to them."

Slowly he approached, weapon ready but not held in a overly threatening manner.

"Greetings fellow Mist Lost! I'm going to assume by the looks on your faces, you were somewhere else before finding yourself lost and confused on the road side?" He chuckled darkly "Well, feel free to join the group. We've all been pulled from somewhere to be here. We are facing an unholy evil. Why not stick with us while we figure this out? The more companions we have the better"

Gesturing to the small group behind him, he quickly made introductions. "Ireena, Ismark, Magnus, Throvir and Darwin. I'm Rolax. We were just discussing our next move."

Magnus looks startled at Ismark's comment, whispering back to him."Haven't you ever seen a dragonborn? They're mostly nice people if not a little hot-headed."

Then he follows Rolax to greet the human and the dragonborn laying on the roadside. "As my friend said, we are always open to people in need of help. Even more so if said person would be willing to fight harrowing rule of Strahd. It looks like you were lucky," he looks over to the piles of rubble surrounding the two men, not a single scratch."

The half elf turns to Ireena and nods, "I'll gladly go there, if it means more allies. However, if you could enlighten us in what a Vastani even is I'd appreciate it."

Kiv elbows Patrick as the strangers approach.

"Patrick! More ghosts! Or undead! I don't know which!" He pulls his sword free from its scabbard, but pauses as the strangers address him. The ghost had ignored him more, and they haven't tried to attack him. Yet. But it's a familiar name that really catches his attention.

"Strahd? You fight this so-called dread lord? He has something we seek, or perhaps he tried to possess it."

The dragonborn hesitantly replaces his sword.

"Was it his dark magic that destroyed that house and brought us here? Because if it is, we have some fallen comrades for which he must answer."

As the party comes to the edge of the clearing, the music reaches Thorvir's ears and he raises an eyebrow at the scene. "Well, these folks seem to be having a grand time. Shall we see if they have room at their fire?"

He takes a closer look, noting the wine bottles and the easy conversation. "I'd fear for our safety meeting a group of supposedly dangerous strangers like this, but they all seem to be drunk at this point. It's unlikely they'd pose much of a threat to us."

Rolax considers Thorvir's words and nods "But also drink makes people unpredictable. We should not discount them. Let's proceed with caution what ever we do."

He strained to listen in on the revelry but could not make out anything distinct of coherent

Looking to his heavily armed companions "Let keep things light and friendly. But be ready." He paused and spoke to Ireena "You've heard of these people, how do you think we should proceed?"

Last edited:
Magnus lights up as he sees the group drinking around the fire, "This place looks just like home." Thorvir's words snap him out of his trance. "Uhh.. yeah some room by the fire would be nice, a warm atmosphere is most welcome after that gloomy town. But don't underestimate them, a drink or two wouldn't make them any less deadly."

He then nods in agreement with Rolax. "If you have any knowledge of how they'd react to a group of people approaching their camp, this is pretty much your last chance to share it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back