Party 17

"Abandoned. Boarded up. It looked like someone fabricated Lady Death into a house," Aki says. "Far more the domain of a vampire than two terrified children. Then again, children have been through worse."

She exits the door, crosses the hall to the northern door. The girl slings her spear behind her shoulder, the blackened tip pointing straight up to the sky. Her hand reaches out as she attempts to open the door.

Aki frowns as she enters the velvet-covered room. She stares at the fireplace and the two elegant chairs, then the books that stretched on and on to the ceiling. This was by far the homelist room she's seen so far. From the overstuffed chairs to the breathtaking windmill painting, she couldn't help but feel comfortable in here. She couldn't help but feel like she could light up the fireplace, sink into one of the overstuffed chairs and take a long, deserved nap.

That comfort ran a tremble through her body, all the way to her bones.

She walks over to the desk, the rich scent of wood and unfluttered pages filling her nose. The girl inspects the desk, then begins ruffling through its drawers, if it had any. Her patience with manners had grown thin. The truth screamed to be let free. She would be the one to do so.

Magnus gets more confused every door they open. He approaches the fireplace, and find it spotless, just like the music room. "Guys, something's really odd." He walks aimlessly around the room, fidgeting with his pan flute stopping by Aki, as she inspects the desk. He pockets the seal and reaches for the key, holding it so the others can see, "At least we have a key, gotta find the lock now."

Last edited:
Rolax steps into the room and takes position in the centre. Slowly looking around.

"Spotless, same as the other room." Straining his senses to pick up on anything he slowly turns around. "I don't like this."

Looking at Aki and Magnus "Have you found anything that could be of use? I don't mean to rush, but I'd rather not linger if we don't have to."

Axe at the ready, he stands guard.

Rolax lay on his back for a few moments. The water from the cobbles seeping through his clothing.
With out looking at his remaining companion he says to the sky.

"You know, this is not turning out to be one of my better days." Sitting up he looks over at Magnus "I don't know about you but I have a powerful urge to kill something."

Magnus is still laying down as Rolax speaks to him, his expression conveying the terror he just went through. The body of his newfound companions laying on the floor brings back some memories he tries to avoid.

"If this were one of your good days, I'd not want to stick around you much longer, big guy." He gets up and smiles to the half orc sitting beside him. "Seeing the way that Strahd guy can move, I don't think revenge is the best plan. But, I'm with you."

Laughing sharply "It's far from my worst day however. Not even close to making top 1000."

Slowly looking around "While I don't want to belittle your skills. I don't think this is something we can tackle just the two of us. Perhaps if we sit here long enough, the Gods will see fit to send us some new companions to aid us on what's sure to be a bloody and dangerous path to revenge"

He chuckles at the comment. "You don't seem like a religious person," he shrugs, "the more we know. But I agree, we're gonna need some extra help if we want to get revenge." He gets up patting the dust out of his clothes, and looks down to the half orc, smirking. "Maybe you coul also ask the Gods to avoid the bloody and dangerous part. I'm not the best at fighting, although I can work arround that with my charm and magic"

"My God is an apt God for me. Ilmater. We take on the suffering for those who need it. All my life has been suffering for people." He paused and pondered for a second "and because of people."

Looking intently at his companion "Everyone has their talents and use in this world. For me it's fighting. That's what I do. I tackle what's in front of me. The world would be a terrible place if we were all like that. We need the people like you to think around the problem"

"I've had my fair share of suffering because of people as well," his hand touches the purple mask that covers the right side of his face, before shaking his head.

"I just hope I can be as useful as you think I'll be, although I wouldn't say I'm the kind of person that thinks around the problem." He smiles and offers a hand for Rolax to get up. "I'm sure we're gonna be a great pair, big guy."

"Life is suffering and suffering is life"

He took the offered hand and stood up.

"Let's find some help and we can make someone else suffer who deserves it."

Magnus smirks as he looks up to the shady bar in front of him. "This is perfect. Just let me prep something before we go in, buddy." He dives into an alley taking one disguise kit out and starts his preparations.

The half elf removes his mask and applies make up to the scarred tissue beneath it, blending it with his copper skin, then he takes out a red haired wig to disguise his blond hair. And, the finishing touch - a counterfeit necklace that appeared to be made out of silver and a fake signet ring.

After a few minutes he turns to face Rolax with a stern face. "I'm Baron Zaal, a noble from far away town stuck in this... lovely town, as I progress to my destination as a diplomat." He lets out a smile, "How do I look? It has been a while since I've done this."

Rolax did a double take as this new Noble in front of him.

He chuckled and bowed "My lord." Checking him over fully he nodded. "If I didn't know that was you, I would be completely fooled. Even as it is, I'm still not convinced you didn't magic this Baron from somewhere." Hefting his axe "I guess this makes me your body guard?"

Indicating the Inn before them "I'll follow your lead"

Magnus takes in the atmosphere of this bar, definitely not the shadiest place he has been to, and notices the man inviting them to join in. "That's certainly weird. It's not like he could fool us, that's my job." And procceeds to sit across the table from him.

"As someone who is new in town, I don't think we've met each other yet. I'm Baron Zaal and I'm curious why you appear to be expecting us, my visit hasn't been announced." He speaks while fidgeting with the signet ring and looking to the human in front of him with mild curiosity.

"If that's the case, I'm fine not drinking anything for now." He says and slides the goblet away from him - wine remembered him a little too much about home - once the stranger finishes talking he adds, "usually, I'm the one who tells the tales. However, we're in need of a change of pace. What's your story?"

Rolax stands to the side of the table with his back facing the wall.

Looking Ismark over with an appraising gaze before turning his attention to the rest of the room and scanning around.

Leaning forward, he picks up a goblet and sniffs it. Studying the liquid intently before dipping a finger to the Wine. He gives it a final sniff before licking his finger.

He doesn't say anything but gives a curt grunt towards Magnus before settling into an easy stance. Hands clasped in front of him.

"You say that Strahd, who is a vampire capable of killing people with a motion of their hand, decided to torment your sister? And you'd like us to help you?" He chuckled a little picturing the scene. "We've crossed paths with him recently, and I assure you he's too strong to be dealt with. I don't think if we can be much help. Although we could certainly give it a shot and assess the situation, no strings attatched," he turns to the half orc, "right?"

Rolax returned Mangnus' look and nodded

With an angry snarl he cracked his knuckles before making a slitting motion across his neck before returning to is waiting posture. Albeit it looking more aggressive.

"Why does every house I've been to recently look like it's extremely haunted? Magnus sighs as he follows Ismark. "Wow buddy, this place sure needs some renovation. I don't get this town and its left for dead asthetic." He reaches down to his rapier giving a look to Rolax before crossing the iron gate.

Rolax looked at the house and snorted in amusement at his companions comment.

Noticing the hand on Rapier, he gets his axe and follows

Magnus takes his hand out of his rapier when he enters the mansion, and refers to Ireena. "It's nice to make your acquaintance, Ireena, I assume you're the sister Ismark has mentioned. I'm Baron Lykos Zaal, although I'm not quite sure how me and my companion got to this city." He spins his signet ring impatiently on his finger, trying to gauge what exactly he got them into and how long he would need to keep up this act. "Ismark mentioned some problems you two were having with Strahd. We said we could try to help you out, if it's within the reach of our abilities, of course." The half elf smiles and nods, eager to learn more about the situation unraveling in front of them.

ismark.jpgDo you hear that, sister?" asks Ismark hopefully. "The Morninglord has blessed us with a ray of light through the mists: Baron Zaal and his bold knight will see us to safety."

Turning to Magnus and Rolax, he presents his plan. "I propose the four of us leave at once for the walled town of Vallaki. I haven't been there since I was a lad, but it's only a few hours on foot; we could make it by nightfall. That must sound ridiculous to you who travel so free and far, that it's been years since I took half a day's walk down the road, but this land is different. You will see. To stray from one's home and kin is to court disaster."

"Vallaki however has guards, and once there I'm sure the Burgomaster will give us sanctuary as fellow nobles, at least for a day or two. We can't hazard another night in this place, exposed to the devil Strahd's predations. If you two have caught his eye, as you say, this village isn't safe for you either."

"We'll pack quickly, just the essentials, no time for heirlooms and sentimentality. To hell with this ugly village, we don't owe them anything. Let them get on without the Kolyanoviches!"

Ismark is pacing about excitedly, grabbing what items fit his definition of "essential" when he passes the doorway of the room where his father lies in state. Seeing the body, his shoulders slump and he looks to Ireena with weary eyes. "No, I don't suppose we can just abandon him here." he says solemnly.

Rolax looked to Magnus and shrugged.

Stepping forward he turned to the siblings. "We came here looking for help after our companions were killed. While regrouping is in a safe haven is a good idea, I wish to return as soon as we are able, and capable to take down Strahd for good." His eyes narrowed and anger flashed full blooded on his face. "Someone who kills to casually and treats life with that little respect needs to be dealt with."

Teeth grinding together he calms himself "What do we need to do before we go?"

ismark.jpg"I share your sentiments, sir," says Ismark with a wry smile. "I have spent years of my life steeling my resolve and preparing for the day when I could confront this monster. There is no running from him, don't worry about that; he claims all this valley as his domain. Retreat though we may to Vallaki or Krezk, it is only to buy time. He will come eventually, and we must be ready. But if you help Ireena to some semblance of safety, you will have my sword at your side when you next look into Count Strahd's undead eyes."

"All that remains for us here is to deliver my father to our church. There is a holy man, Donavich, who will see to the burial. Even though it's but a few blocks away, Ireena has wisely armed herself. I shall do the same. Strahd's agents have no respect for the boundary between night and day. If he truly wishes to torment us, we can expect resistance to giving our poor father his proper rites."

Lifting the lid of a heavy wooden chest, Ismark takes out two swords and a sturdy crossbow, then begins to don a suit of splint mail. "If the two of you will honor us as pallbearers, we can make for the church now."

Along the road to the church stands another half orc. Clad in a dark coat with the glint of armor beneath, he is studying a map and looking up at his surroundings. His lengthy black hair is held back by a bandana, and his face is tanned and creased but looks fairly young. He is well built, and his movements are deliberate and full of intent.

"How did this happen? I haven't been lost like this in years."

He adjusts his coat and takes another look at his map, glancing over it for a moment before defeatedly sighing. At the sight of the party, however, he perks up a bit. "Hullo there, travelers. I've gotten a bit lost in a cloud of mist, and have been stuck here for some time now. You don't happen to know the way to Daggerfell from here, do you?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back