• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Pacific Rim? Please?

Spectre of the Fade

Lady of Bad Fanfic

I have been dying for a Pacific Rim based roleplay ever since I finished the movie the first time. Mechs are something I really love, being a person who likes to think about how things work and all, and those come with some really fascinating lore and giant alien monsters and don't even get me started on the Drift.

Ahem.

I would love if one of you lovely people would roleplay this with me. I want to follow a pair of pilots (one played by me, the other ideally played by you) from their training together all the way up to piloting together and perhaps even up to the "death" of their Jeager and after. I want to explore the interactions between the two main characters. I want to explore the ramifications of the Drift on them and their relationship. I want to explore the fame and the drama and the good stuff.

...Okay, that probably made it sound a lot more dramatic than I mean. I just want to do the thing. Two original pilots. Original Jaeger. Years of potential things to write out. Me want. c:

Preferences/Notes

1. Length isn't a super big deal for me normally, but I'm going to be picky here. At least one solid paragraph, please. Seven-eight sentences or just a generally decent sized chunk of text, even at the slow parts. I will hold myself to the same standard.

2. Write legibly. Capitalization, punctuation, decent spelling. I'm not expecting perfect, of course. Just legible.

3. Work with me! Work with me. Woooooooork with me. Things like the Drift are going to take some serious talking out. It's fine if you don't want to chat with me OOC, but you've got to be willing to plot and discuss roleplay things with me at the least.

4. I use real people for my character's face claims, and would prefer if you did the same.

5. I'm going to be playing a male character. Be aware of that.

6. I would love if developing a romance between our characters was an element of this. It is by no definition a requirement, however. And, to add onto the previous number, I'm fine with either MxM or MxF.

7. I would like it if you're willing to play secondary/minor characters, but that is not required.

8. I do character sheets. I'm not going to require one from you, but I will be doing one. Possibly multiple, as I have too many ideas for characters in this and may ask you to choose one.

Ask if you have questions, respond if interested. c:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings.

This looks exceedingly fascinating. I found myself totally captivated by the lore and worldbuilding in that movie when I first watched it as well.

Few questions, though: I am certain that I can keep up with the writing and collaboration standards specified, but not as confident about the pace. How frequently do you expect replies? And, along the same lines, it might be necessary to figure out some bits about timezones if it happens that you prefer for this talking out you refer to to be in real time.

Looking forward to potentially writing this, and best of luck to this roleplay regardless.

Thanks.

Thank you for your interest. c:

I'm both flexible and patient when it comes to my partners' response times, so that shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I tend to respond within the day. Much faster, if I push myself or I'm excited for the roleplay. I am currently in Mountain Time, but I have really weird but also flexible hours at the moment.

Understood, and thank you for the information.

According to said information, though, me being stuck in UTC+8 seems to not be the most satisfactory circumstances. Same here with the weird but flexible hours, though. As for the pace, in both terms of writing speed and availability I'm slightly below the level of being capable of churning out posts daily, but am probably not far behind. So...I suppose there are ways this could work.

There are a few more story/character/setting related questions I wish to ask. Them being rather specific and mostly detail, surely you wouldn't mind if I took to PMs to prevent clogging up the interest check?

That would be good, though I am a new user and I'm not sure if my inability to do private messages applies to reading them as well as just sending them.

[QUOTE="Spectre of the Fade]That would be good, though I am a new user and I'm not sure if my inability to do private messages applies to reading them as well as just sending them.

[/QUOTE]
Ah, I was unaware of that. Apologies.

Taken the liberty to put a couple more generally relevant ones here.

• This is obviously in an already established universe, but how much do you expect for it to adhere to to the original content - how relevant will canon characters and events be, on a scale from "interaction with canon characters" to "passing reference to canon events in background" to retaining only the worldview and re-imagining the cast?

• And, if is still relevant enough based on answer to previous question, when will this take place? I'm under the impression here that events here are to precede those of the movie?

More of a bit of information than an actual question: I usually, and also now intend to, at least sketch out a rough sheet for (any of) my prospective character/characters(I am, incidentally, quite familiar with the practice of juggling more than one character).

In the mean time, here at UTC+8 it has reached the typical time at which I engage in the practice of dying temporarily a bit each night. Tomorrow the one-day new-member specification will no longer be in place for you, I imagine, and I look forward to further discussion.

Let's try to make this happen, I suppose. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
eheu said:
Ah, I was unaware of that. Apologies.
Taken the liberty to put a couple more generally relevant ones here.

• This is obviously in an already established universe, but how much do you expect for it to adhere to to the original content - how relevant will canon characters and events be, on a scale from "interaction with canon characters" to "passing reference to canon events in background" to retaining only the worldview and re-imagining the cast?

• And, if is still relevant enough based on answer to previous question, when will this take place? I'm under the impression here that events here are to precede those of the movie?

More of a bit of information than an actual question: I usually, and also now intend to, at least sketch out a rough sheet for (any of) my prospective character/characters(I am, incidentally, quite familiar with the practice of juggling more than one character).

In the mean time, here at UTC+8 it has reached the typical time at which I engage in the practice of dying temporarily a bit each night. Tomorrow the one-day new-member specification will no longer be in place for you, I imagine, and I look forward to further discussion.

Let's try to make this happen, I suppose. Best of luck.
So, I checked the rules, and I can receive and respond to PMs. Just not start them. But to address your questions:

• I would prefer referencing canon events instead of creating an entire AU. I'm not confident enough in my ability to play canon characters to do that myself, but I'm not opposed to having our OCs interact with them if you wish to include them.

• Yes, pre-movie. I would prefer it begin relatively near the beginning of the Jaeger program, like 2015-2016, and continue on until...well, until we get tired of it or near the events of the movie. That'd be the logical ending point, as to keep in line with canon, our Jaeger would have to be destroyed or decommissioned somehow.

Read and understood.

I'm not that comfortable with appropriating canon characters as well, so no problems there. I also really like when this is expected to start and end - gives more liberty to where the story is taken and all, and the thought of this little epilogue with two decommissioned pilots staying home watching someone else save the world is a bit too cute not to entertain.

So far I think we've got most of it out of the way. I'll be sure to contact you either here or via PM if anything comes up, but besides that...I suppose I'll wait for the thread and character?

Thank you.

I was hoping to talk through characters and such in a private conversation with you before posting the roleplay, actually. Would that be acceptable?

[QUOTE="Spectre of the Fade]I was hoping to talk through characters and such in a private conversation with you before posting the roleplay, actually. Would that be acceptable?

[/QUOTE]
Certainly. Took the liberty of creating the conversation thread. Looking forward to writing with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back