• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

(P&P) Desperate Times (A Simple-System Superhero RP)

Neon Valkyrie

She Who Is Called I Am
Hullo,

I'm Neon. I like superheroes. I also like tabletop roleplaying. I also ALSO like RPN. I would like to mash the three of those things together using the Prowlers and Paragons rules (pdf available for free, just google "prowlers and paragons pdf") The system kind of runs itself, and gives people a lot of opportunity to communalize the task of GMing. I was thinking of doing a semi-futuristic/modern/standard-comic-universe time period to allow for tech-based heroes, in a fictional mega-Vancouver ... but I'm open to suggestions. As long as everyone reads the rules, and plays nice, and organizes stuff amongst themselves a little, we could potentially handle dozens of players in smaller groups ... Anyway, it's late, I'm tired, drop a line if this sounds cool.

Kisses,
Neon

PS, OOC Thread

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, just gotta familiarise myself with the P&P system and then I’m good to go ?

Kaera Kaera Weissplus Weissplus Buckteeth Buckteeth

Awesome. If you follow the instructions in original post, you can get a free copy of the sourcebook. I'll have to re-read the rules, but it uses pass/fail rolls, dice pool type skills and powers, and success-thresholds based on the difficulty of a situation, or opposed rolls in the case of engaging with another PC. The cool part is how you deal with levels of success. It's like ... if you get all fails, the opposing player gets to describe the consequences, set the scene. If you get a few successes, you get to add to the description and bit of information that doesn't completely negate it. If you pass, but only just, then you get to describe what happens, and the other player gets to give that last bit of information, and then obviously if you get way over the success-threshold, you get to describe what happens without any additional details.

For example, we'll just use hand to hand combat. Let's say your PC has another PC against a brick wall and is going to punch her/him in the face. You roll your attack dice, determined by the number of points you have in the appropriate skill or power, and you get 4 successes. Your opponent rolls opposed, and gets 5 successes. Because they won the roll-off, they say "So-and-so's punch concusses nothing but the air where whats-ther-face's head used to be, slamming right into the brick wall with full force."

Because it was only a narrow failure/win, however, you get to add something like "but my super-strength brings the wall down on both of them." or "but the wall is old and rickety, and my fist goes right through unharmed." or "but with my super reflexes, I manage to soften the blow, and my fist strikes the wall with minimal force." or "but the flash is running by at that exact moment chasing quicksilver, arguing about which universe has more ludicrous time-speed explanations, and their combined wake knocks you both over, negating the wall-punch because of said time-speed effects." Maybe not that last one, but you get the idea.

As for the kind of hero you can create ... literally anything ... I'll work out how many points everyone gets, but we're going to be relatively low powered ... think Defenders, not Guardians. Not to say I won't allow characters with a few powers, but I want our characters to be able to grow as we progress. I have the major plot points outlined, and if people don't think it too spoilery, I'm happy to discuss them.

Sounds a lot like Shadowrun in terms of mechanics and stuff, so it might take me a while to get a character together (I struggle with that part of Shadowrun xD)

Sounds a lot like Shadowrun in terms of mechanics and stuff, so it might take me a while to get a character together (I struggle with that part of Shadowrun xD)
I find developing the concept is the most difficult part because the system allows so much freedom of choice.

Concepts I don't usually have an issue with, it's more the way characters are built. I haven't looked at P&P character creation yet, but I find Shadowrun really complex cause it deals with karma and attributes and stuff, as well as skills, your basic stats.

Concepts I don't usually have an issue with, it's more the way characters are built. I haven't looked at P&P character creation yet, but I find Shadowrun really complex cause it deals with karma and attributes and stuff, as well as skills, your basic stats.

Oh, I think you'll find P&P refreshingly simple.

I'm personally okay with discussing plot. I guess it'd be up to the GM if certain details are better off left veiled until the game starts. I'm still reading through P&P, but I've already got a few concepts playing around in my head.

I was thinking of a small group of heroes, some potentially associated already, being drawn together as their city grows increasingly violent. The heroes race to discover what's causing the increase in open, super-criminal activity, while putting out whatever fires arise in the mean time.

I'm thinking of making someone like "the ray. " Light based powers, energy firm or constructs... Not sure yet. Oh, and in the interest of not being a killjoy, we'll start at 30 hero dice and a max rank or 9, low level instead of street.

I just bought the pdf, if anyone needs a copy let me know

also, have you decided what level we'll start at?

Last edited:
btw I'm totally using a guy I made on city of heroes a million years ago, sci / tech themed if people care about avoiding overlap

I just bought the pdf, if anyone needs a copy let me know

also, have you decided what level we'll start at?

... Oh no, the instructions in the OP are for a free copy of the source book. And we're starting with 30 hero dice and a max rank of 9.

... Oh no, the instructions in the OP are for a free copy of the source book. And we're starting with 30 hero dice and a max rank of 9.
I know, there were no relevant sources when I googled, and it was only five bucks anyway; also sounds great, after reading I'm all hyped to get started

by the way, would it be alright to select more than 3 flaws, so long as they make sense for the character, and with the understanding that they won't grant any additional resolve? there are several that are perfect for my concept, and I don't care about getting any benefits for them

by the way, would it be alright to select more than 3 flaws, so long as they make sense for the character, and with the understanding that they won't grant any additional resolve? there are several that are perfect for my concept, and I don't care about getting any benefits for them

Hmm... Yes, but pick your 3 primaries for calculating resolve regeneration, and label them when we get the CS sorted out. Still waiting on one more applicant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back