Overview & Main Roleplay

Oromis

Smart move with the ice, he hadn't thought of it. He wondered if he could do that...he knew he could use ice for destruction,  who knew if he could do tasks with it? After crossing over he kept his hood up even though it was getting hot out. He liked the heat. He actually liked most weather, because there was little he couldn't just add his magic to and it would enhance it. He said nothing as they went on-there was no need to speak. He traveled near the back of the group,  so he could keep an eye on things, and take rear guard. 

@DemetrioMachete @Dalamus Ulom @Trombone Geek @Andraus

@Enuky

The blind man would nod, acknowledging both the prince's statement, and the way he skirted around the maidens question by giving only general answers. "I know not what you look like, milord, but your voice sounds heavy with the burdens of pain and responsibility that can only come from age." the man would say. "Forgive me and my daughter, milord, for she did not introduce ourselves. I am Sir Edward Blake, and this is my daughter, Louise," as the old knight would introduce himself and his daughter, the maiden would give Natha another little bow. Upon the prince asking if they had a request, Sir Edward would shake his head. "We only have a few questions for you, milord, and perhaps an offer that may be of interest to you." The knight would say. From the tone of his voice, he would seem to hold no ill will towards Maeve or Natha, and by the ease in which he would tell their names, he was not worried of being attacked or recognized. Sir Edward's name would be familiar to some, due to the multiple stories and bardsic songs of a blind knight wandering Yunakai in recent years, slaying monsters and protecting the small folk from brigands with the aid of his beautiful marksman daughter.

@Andraus @Trombone Geek

"Lanister, is there not a little market town about a mile ahead? Wyrm's Head or some such? If Imy theory is right, then this does not bode well for us, or for anyone. Please, everyone, from here on out, cover your mouths and noses. I fear the worst, and I would not wish for anyone to become sick" Yoren would announce to the group. He did not wish to mention what he thought it may be, as it would likely scare them unnecessarily if he was wrong. 

@Andraus @DemetrioMachete @Enuky @Trombone Geek @Inheritance 

Lance was inwardly just as miserable as Cecile in this venture, although he did not mention this. Bathelon lacked the mountains surrounding the Rose kingdom or lying west of Yunakai, and so biting Northeastern winds passing over many lakes on its way to Bathelon, along with warm ocean air, led to a cold and stormy environment, only exacerbated by the magical disruption at Alethea. Despite the ocean's proximity, Bathelon was not the greatest place for a tropical getaway. Its weather could often turn very violent, and as a result even the most run-down houses and farms had storm cellars or even a hole in the ground, a source of shelter when things got particularly nasty. There were also many coastal ghost towns, a result of people fleeing hurricanes and not returning after, and much of Bathelon's resources had been used to build the capital's walls high and strong to resist any wind and flooding making its way in from the ocean.

Lance's thoughts had drawn him away from his surroundings again, and so Yoren's call for the group to stop snapped him out of this. He frowned at his warning. Plague? Hopefully not; hopefully just some sickness. Many people had suffered enough at the Rose Kingdom's selfishness, and Lance wasn't a fan of rekindling old hatred and frustration because not everyone had been cured. He did as he was told, covering his nose and mouth with his long sleeve as they went along, feeling somewhat tense. He looked back to make sure Cecile was heeding this warning as well.

///

Maeve walked over, greeting the man and his daughter with a silent nod and drawing parallels between the rumors of a blind knight and this soldier standing before Natha. She took the blade offered, marveling at its homely feel in her hand, both magic- and physical-wise. She listened as Natha explained its added abilities, and the assassin suddenly found herself eager to test it out.

When Natha took the blade back to turn it over and show the uncarved side, Maeve only had to think for a moment to choose a name. The name of a man who meant a lot to her, who helped her rediscover her self and her control so long ago. He was probably dead, now, but it was to him she owed everything she was now. 

"It'll be named Jessam, in honor of the one person who helped me when everything else was lost. He helped me control myself after my and Kalamitat's binding." She was uneasy at her slip up, mentioning her demonic 'companion' in front of two strangers, but somehow she trusted them not to spread too much information about them. The name Jessam was an incredibly simple name, and not anything hugely monumental by any means, nor with any hidden meaning; it was simply paying homage to Maeve's savior.

Natha would offer a simple nod, before holding up his hand, as the name 'Jessam' would be carved into the metal, careful to make sure the letters did not affect the blade. Twirling it in his grip, Natha would place the blade back in it's sheath, before finally giving it to Maeve. "It was good to work on a blade again....It's rare that I get to practice my craft anymore, and it is always good to make sure your skills are still sharp. " Natha said, before looking towards the male and female. He would place his mithril hammer back into his bag, before speaking.

"My name is Nathadhir, but most I know prefer to call me 'Natha'. If you would not mind, please don't call me 'Milord'. That's not who I am any- anyway."He said, avoiding revealing the rest of his name, and narrowly avoiding a slip. "You're right in your assumption, sir knight, that...there is much in this world that I have witnessed, and it weighs heavily upon my soul....But so long as I live, I have reason to move forward. " He said, taking a whetstone, and sharpening his arrows to a point. They looked like they could kill a large beast. "By all means, however, ask your questions and make your offer. I am more than willing to hear. " He said, twirling the arrow, as he went to sharpen his sword.

Maeve and Louise would see the blade glew with runic light, of ancient magic. Kalamitat, as well as any that could read the words, would find that it translated to this. "A  beacon of light to the unled. Blazing like fire with justice in the lands stained with foulness. One stands alone in the light. Terrifying Evildoers who must give back in blood. Swallows pain and becomes black." a vivid reminder of Natha's former past as a righteous hand of vengeance. It was hard to imagine this gentle man, who seemed to wish nothing but the best for others, was once a ruthless killer in days of old.

Mizuki would just tap her chin, before pulling up a small bottle, and placing a needle in it. "I must admit, Klaus, it is good to work with someone who has an appreciation for the higher arts. Not everyone can understand the sheer grasp of what we do...." She said, before jabbing the needle into the mans chest. This would cause vivid hallucinations, and it would be as if he heard voices where there were none. " There are over two hundred different parts in a humanoid body, all working in conjunction with one another. Yet, were just one of this imperfect machine to fail, life fails.....I love this work, because the very thing that gives us life? It also gives us the means to take it. "She said, in a morbid fascination. "I have devoted my years to the study of science, in each flesh, machine, and nature, yet there is always something new to learn....How could I ever stop?" She said, a smile on her face as she watched the effects of he toxin.

Lanister would place his mask over his face, instructing Aizen to do the same, before looking towards Oromis. If this man was to hold an important position in the Kingdom, then he'd prefer to at least know this man. "Excuse me, King Oromis, but I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. Namely about you. "He said to him, before continuing. "You wouldn't happen to be the same Oromis Silverspire that fought in Kuvira's army? I briefly heard, back when he was still my student, Yaro mention you were, or still are, a ruthless warrior on the field of battle, capable of blasting apart your rivals with lighting or fire, or simply using your weapon to cleave through your enemies. Pretty high praise, coming from an assassin."  Lanister said to him, in both equal parts flattery and respect. Lanister respected strength, and if Yaro had said he was strong, then it was reasonable to assume that he was powerful. 

Lanister would then look towards Yoren as he spoke, before walking to Lance, Cecile, Edwin, and Oromis, handing them each a cloth mask. "Better to be safe than sorry. " He said to them. The cloth masks were bathed in Helichrysum oil, which was used to ward off disease. It carried a fruity smell, with a hint of honey and tea undertone.

@Inheritance @Trombone Geek @DemetrioMachete @Dalamus Ulom @Enuky

Last edited by a moderator:
"Were it not for our efforts, medicine and science would never progress. All of those flimsy hippocratic oaths are merely inhibitors. There is no progression, and it places a proper patient's life at risk." Heinrich watched as Cleveland's skin seemed to darken, and he thrashed in his bindings. He started talking again as the hallucinogen distorted his sense of pain.

"Geurgh! What? Are those clowns over there!?" he shouted with what seemed like fury. "Go away! I fear not your death glares!"

Heinrich could only stare, curiously. He walked around the restrained man, placing a finger on his temple.

"His blood flow is increasing, as is his body temperature. Based on his sudden surge of energy, your needle must have dulled his sense of pain while inducing overactive brain activity..."

@Andraus

. . .

Aizen nodded his head as the mention of Wyrm's Head was brought up. His mask clung firmly to his face, and he resumed his posture, deciding it would be best to stay with the group, for now.

@Enuky

@Trombone Geek

@Dalamus Ulom

@Inheritance

. . .

As Lenelia hopped off the carriage, and it turned around and headed back for Bathelon, he listened intently to the music box's chimes. His swagger seemed to wash away with sudden, emptying emotion as he listened.. and as it played its last note, all the bard could do was nod to herself.

"I take it she didn't share your longevity?" Lenelia thought long and hard on it.. he didn't want to think his big berserker friend was capable of crying.. or even just being sad. He snapped his fingers at an idea.

"I'm sure there are times where you miss her.. but maybe if these mages we're after know anything about speaking to the dead.. maybe bringing them back, too..? Is that possible?" Now it was quiet.. and with his mimicked skills of tracking he had siphoned off of Rangers.. he began to follow what seemed like human tracks.. there were quite a few. He didn't seem to mind the massive stone boulders spewed around from the night prior.. it was a story he simply wasn't there to bring melody.

@transcendantviewer

Dreadnought shakes his head in the negative. "She's still with me in one way or another. I'm lonely from time to time, but she's always there." was his simple response, his tone filled with bittersweet happiness as he follows Lenelia, keeping his axe at his side.

South Yunakai--

Whatever the lingering odor was surrounding them it was still becoming worse. Or so Cecile thought. She was holding her breath in short bits in an effort to avoid the nasty smell... Cecile reached for the mask offered to them from Lanister, putting it over her lips. It helped somewhat, but not much. She tried to stay towards the back of the group to conceal how bad it was for her. 

Finally, Cecile felt the back of her throat become tense and her nose wrinkle. It was beyond her control, she realized, as a sharp, nauseous feeling crept from her stomach to the back end of her throat...She was getting ready to hurl. She just knew it.

Little did she know it was easy to see. The girl's expression was becoming a faint shade of green. Cecile didn't want to think about throwing up in front of all of these men, she reflected, holding her breath again. Of course, the princess couldn't handle such an odor. She didn't want to hear about this from those men. 

Then it happened. Cecile was trailing behind him, but it was then that Lance turned back to face her. For a moment their eyes met, but that was all she could muster before her stomach lost control. Cecile leaned forward, throwing up all over the ground between she and Lance. 

@Trombone Geek @Andraus @Inheritance @Dalamus Ulom @DemetrioMachete

The bard simply sighed. Eons of loneliness.. by the time he would have reached Dread's age, chances were he would have let go. He didn't blame Dread for his attachment. Lenelia took the time to observe his surroundings as they passed by the fort. It looked as though a battle took place here. The large stones lay scattered in one pile, and there were scorch marks and small craters in quite a few places. Lenelia quirked an eyebrow at this.. as he observed the pile of rocks.

"Looks like our mages have a mage enemy, too. Someone sent a stone golem after them.." he remarked, shrugging as he walked past, continuing to follow the trail of humans. 

"Are there any others like you? What was it.. 'Warforged'?"

@transcendantviewer

. . .

Aizen's breathing turned slow and steady as the stench crawled over. True, even through the mask it was repulsive, vile and potentially sickening.. but Aizen had to remind himself of many things that debatably smelled worse: sewers, most unwashed peasants, his own flatulence.. anything to get his mind off the foul scent. He turned around as he caught the sound of Cecile throwing up. Poor thing, he thought. Shouldn't she be painting or writing in her castle, rather than be out with armed men?

@Andraus

@Dalamus Ulom

@Enuky

@Trombone Geek

"Very few. Most of us left this world as soon as the chance presented itself. A friend of mine was a powerful mage and conjured a small plane for my kind to go. Belladonna and I decided to stay. Our children needed protection." he replied, keeping pace with his bard companion.

The Bathelonian King gladly accepted the mask, nodding gratefully to Lanister and putting the mask on. It helped somewhat, but the stench still got worse as they went along. Then Cecile, who had been trailing behind, stopped, met his eyes, and had thrown up all over the ground between them.

Lance took a step back, smoothly stepping around the disgusting puddle and forcing down his own nausea, fighting through his enhanced senses and the sight of Cecile tossing up before him. His hand reached up to push the mask more against his nose, as if that would help to keep out the stench, and moved Cecile's hair out of her face until she finished, reaching into his pockets and taking out a small cloth and holding it out to her. It would be ruined now, of course, but it was the least he could do to help her out right then; he would much rather keep his canteen to himself, thank you, and especially out of the mouth of someone who'd just gotten sick.

Lance frowned at the surroundings as he waited for Cecile to recover. "Think you'll be able to survive for a bit longer?" he asked, hoping that she wouldn't start dry heaving, because that was a painful thing on its own. It seemed that, logically, the scent should eventually fade, especially as the group got past Wyrm's Head, which was likely the source of whatever caused all of this--probably sickness. But who knew how long that would take?

///

Maeve took the blade, unsheathing it slightly to marvel at the runes carved into it, before strapping it around her waist. She watched quietly as Natha talked with the two strangers, and Maeve found herself numb to the social interaction, and quite bored of it. She made good use of years of training to fade into the background, gradually distancing herself from the group and trailing away, quite glad to have gotten away from that. She was confused at these sudden feelings, but decided it was probably Kalamitat's tired and weary mood affecting her. She caught a glimpse of Natha's own weapon's carvings, asked Kalamitat for a quick translation, and nodded with a sad smile before turning disappearing behind a house.

'He really does regret it,' she thought, but Kalamitat's snort of derision caught her off guard.

:He might think he does, but human beings are so weak in mind that he'd probably return to it as soon as he could. You can see it in his eyes, lurking back there.:

'Quit saying these things about people. You're entirely wrong, and of course 
you would jump into battle. But he's not a demon like you! --At least, not in the mental sense.'

:You can't even grasp the truth that humans are possible of much worse acts than my own kind,: Kalamitat snapped, irritated at the insult. It retreated again, stubbornly refusing to acknowledge Maeve's presence any longer. With a frown, the assassin watch Natha and the two warriors from a distance.

Oromis Silverspire

He was surprised anyone was talking to him at all...like in genuinely took him by surprise, and he didn't answer for a second. In fact, he didn't answer until he had the mask over his face, which he didn't know how much he'd need it, he had always been rather healthy, but as he said, better safe then sorry, so he put it on. After that, he turned and gave Lanister a sideways look. He wondered what about him seemed to make him an approachable person...was it the cloak? Walking in the back? Not saying a word to anyone? Jeez...

"I have personally made it a goal of mine to not remember much of my past, unless it is important or means something to me. I use Ice, Fire, and Lightning to destroy my opponents, and am fairly skilled in the art of Swordplay, and know how to use most other weapons." He could pick up almost any melee weapon and get the hang of it, though he was only really good at swordplay. "I don't care for any praise that worm gives me. All I care about now is watching his corpse burn before me-get it?" He glared now, not at Lanister, just outwardly, almost at the world. He didn't say anything after that, just continued onward with a wary eye.

@Enuky @Andraus@Trombone Geek

South Yunakai--

"Step aside", said Edwin as he made his way to Cecile. He could see the sight of vomit made the king squirmish. Unlike Lance, Edwin had no issue with it. He first offered his water to Cecile in exchange for the handkerchief, and as Cecile sipped on his canteen he cleaned her up.

When he was finished wiping her face and hands clean he tossed the handkerchief to the ground. Edwin appeared much more compassionate to the princess once she was actually sick. He began running his fingers through her hair and cast a simple relief spell, "relevare", he murmured. His hands became ablazed in a blue glow that he coated Cecile's head in, to hopefully make the princess feel better. 

Finally he finished the job and retrieved a morsel of hard candy that he gave to Cecile, "suck on this", he said. Edwin thought it could help quiet her and keep her mind off of the smell. Cecile didn't object to the bite of sugar and did as she was told, appreciating how its sweet taste eradicated the lingering, disgusting one of vomit. 

"She'll be okay", he said to Lance, answering for her. "It's too late for her not to be", he added. Edwin gave Cecile his mask to use. 

Cecile was left highly embarassed by the ordeal, but appreciated Edwin's care. The princess noticed Aizen staring, and it made her feel even worse. Sometimes, she hated her girlish tendencies. Of course she couldn't handle a foul smell for long.

"I just hope it isn't much longer", Cecile said. 

Yoren would look back at the young princess, and would watch as Lance and Edwin helped her. After she was done, the party would continue forward, until finally coming into sight of the source of the smell. The town of Wyrm's Head was situated on the side of a large hill formed from the skull of a gigantic, long dead dragon, and is one of the oldest cities in all of Yunakai, having been founded as a stronghold for the ancient people of the country. Now, all that was left of the original castle was nothing more than a few tumbled grass-covered stones, and an old rickety gate near the entrance. The newer stucco and tile roofed buldings of the newer market compared served as a stark contrast to the few remaining ruins of the first Yunkains. The market town was built without any walls, both so that the town could easily expand if need be, and due to the low population of brigands and wildmen in the area. 

dragon_skull_by_GaudiBuendia.jpg

As the group would draw closer, they would see their first signs of battle. Several dozen corpses lay near the Old Gate, some in the garb of the South Yunakai rebels, others in the standardized equipment of town watchmen, and most troubling of all, those in the piecemeal and rusty armor of bandits. "By the gods..." Yoren would mutter under his breath. Bandits were never this bold, so for them to act so bold and strike a large well defended town was not a good sign. "It appears as if bandits have attacked the town. I would go around the town, but I do not know if there are any brigands left in the area. Sadly, the main road takes us directly through the town, so we will more than likely have to fight our way through." Yoren would say

@Enuky @DemetrioMachete @Inheritance @Trombone Geek @Andraus

Edward would nod at Natha's words. "As you wish, Natha," the man said, drawing the nickname out as if he was tasting the sound of it on his tongue. "I must say, your name is one that has fallen to the wayside these last few decades. An Althean name, I believe," He would say, the faintest hint of a smile playing at his lips. He wouldn't mention it again. Edward knew when a man wished to avoid a subject, and would let Natha choose what to do in his own time. Besides, he had more pressing matters to attend to, regarding Natha. "It has come to my attention that a powerful demon has found itself in the area. I assume you've heard the name Quezor before, correct?" Edward would ask Natha. Quezor was a powerful demon lord, a blood mage, and during the invasion of Althea, slew thousands. Quezor was one of the only demons to escape the ascent of Althea, having not been in that nation when the spell was cast, like most of it's kindred. It was believed slain near a century ago, but demons are a tricky thing to put down, especially one the likes of of Quezor. "I would be in your debt if you could aid myself and my daughter in this endeavor. We will give you part of the profit, of course. I believe it's a very large bounty." The knight would finish.

imageproxy.jpg

@Andraus @Trombone Geek

Natha would turn away as he mentioned his name was Alethian. The man was getting too close to the truth, and instinctively, Natha would rub his thumb on her sword before placing the blade in it's hilt. Natha had a feeling this man knew who he was. The last thing he wanted people to know, was his true origins. It would only serve to cause trouble, which was the last thing Natha wanted. "Yes, It is. It was....given to me by my father. A better man than I am. " He said, remembering him fondly, as well as his twenty-seven siblings. Most would probably think that was a bit much, But Natha's father loved them all the same. The same could be said about Natha: His family was the most important thing to him back then.

And it was this thought that caused an incident when the Knight mentioned that name....Quezor.

Natha instantly got two images in his head, memories that would never fade from reality: His brother Syndarion, pierced to death by spikes of blood, and his sister Thessalia, burning in bright red flames. Anyone sensitive to it would feel a demonic surge rising in Natha, as he would let out an almost beast-like growl. "That parasite is still among the living...?! " Natha said, closing his eyes, as he gripped the anvil he was holding onto. He was trying to suppress his demonic impulse, and it nearly won out. Finally, Natha would calm down, the demon aura fading. He would then open his eyes.

"I kill demons like him on a regular basis.....Raid Demons are my specialty.....But for this particular demon....I would consider it payment enough if I got to send that thing back to hell." Natha said, restrained fury coursing through his veins. Kalamitat would likely know that this was due to what Quezor did. It was obvious to Maeve, though, that Natha was trying very hard from looking his control over himself.

Chalondra would quickly search for Ferris, excitement in her eyes, as she would approach her. "Ferris! I have news! " She said. "We have reports that another Raid demon is in the vicinity! He goes by the name 'Quezor', you remember him?" She said, before shaking her head. "It would be vital to us if we could bring him back to our cause. I'll mark his last known location on a map, can you retrieve him?....Also, where is your sister? I haven't seen her all day. " Chalondra said, looking around.

Mizuki had listened to him talk, and the more she heard from him, the more the desire to have him grew. 'Oh for the love of the princes, JUST TAKE ME HERE AND NOW DAMMIT, I AM YOURS!' her mind practically screamed, though she made sure to keep her thoughts to herself. To actually have found the 'one' this easily? She would have to thank Ferris later, But for now? SCIENCE!

"See? Stuff like this I can use. " She said, writing this down on the book. "Finding a way to prevent pain, it would keep them from thrashing as I try to remove shrapnel, arrows, or try to fix a broken bone. Increased Energy? Useful for long-distances, or trips that require a lot of leg-work. Both? I can see that as a recreational drug, both for pleasure or for travelling. Hell, I think if I sold that to the soldiers, I'd make an easy fortune within a week. " Mizuki said, rolling her eyes. True, it would make a killing, but that would be too easy. 

She would then pull out the bottle she had earlier, before placing it down.

"I think It's time I show you what this can do.....consider it a....token, of my affection." She said, before taking one last needle, and stabbing it into the skin. THe male would feel....a compulsion to serve her. She would then cut the male free, before speaking in a commanding voice. "Kneel before your master, peasant. " She said, as she would show the bottle to Klaus. "Mind Control Poison. It reduces the afflicted's willpower, and makes them subservient towards the individual whose blood is mixed into the concoction....You see why that is valuable to me, do you not? It took me almost three decades to perfect this." She said, holding it up.

Lanister would stare down, looking at the town proper, before rubbing his head. "This doesn't look like bandit work....plus, these guards were no pushovers, you'd need an army to take this place.....Yet, look master? I see no large amounts of foot tracks. These bandits likely attacked the same time this place was.....Whoever attacked this place was very powerful. " Lanister said, drawing his sword. "Everyone! be on the lookout, and be careful." He said to them.

@Enuky @Trombone Geek @DemetrioMachete @Inheritance @Dalamus Ulom

Klaus gave a brief glimpse over Mizuki's posture and expression, as Cleveland began to mumble more nonsense about clowns. Something was off.. couldn't quite tell what. 

"Application of poison in a battlefield.." Klaus murmured, placing a hand to his chin as he thought out loud.

"Toddling up to an armored knight and trying to jam a needle in his neck is a sure way to walk away with some booboos.. it's pretty much limited to applying it to bludgeoning, slashing or piercing weapons.. or arrows. In reconnaissance, you could most certainly taint food or drinks. I wonder if there is a spell capable of spreading brewed poisons." 

Next came the mind control poison. This most certainly piqued his interest. Cleveland was cut free, and in the next instant, he kneeled before Mizuki. She had perfectly mimicked his spells of Command and Suggestion. How.. dangerous. Klaus kicked the man aside, his eyes closing halfway as his face flushed with color.

"I think we have seen enough, today. I need to... repay you for showing me your brilliance." the doctor took a gingerly hold of Mizuki's hands, nodding his head towards the stairs...

@Andraus

"I take it they faced some manner of persecution?" Lenelia walked past the fort and stones, continuing to follow the tracks. "Why else would they ever desire to go through all the effort of creating a separate plane of existance? That sounds pretty strenuous."

@transcendantviewer

. . .

All Aizen could do was sigh. At least Edwin knew how to satiate Cecile.. less bother for the little hobbit. As he beheld the Wyrm's Head, and all of the bodies lying around.. there was no denying some sort of powerful dark soul was responsible for this. Seeking to remove any hint of his presence, he whispered to himself some words of power. In the next instant, he vanished. A spell of invisibility.. an ideal spell for a shinobi. When he vanished, he scouted ahead into the Wyrm's Head, seeking something responsible for all this destruction.

@Enuky

@Trombone Geek

@Dalamus Ulom

@Inheritance

:Look at him, so ready to grovel before his own demons just to sate his hatred!: Kalamitat pointed out with glee as Maeve flinched at the spike in malevolent energy. She found herself shaking slightly, and frowned at this fact. Good for her Kalamitat was too distracted to jeer at her for being weak or something.

We're leaving, Maeve said without warning, turning and retreating to the inn, and gathering her belongings once she was there. The assassin had entered through a balcony to avoid being spotted, nowhere near in the mood to talk to anyone. 

:Oh, how glorious it would be to bring out his other side!: 

Maeve scowled now, almost slamming her fist down on a table before realizing the commotion would only cause problems. Kalamitat's sudden shift towards its original personality was really eating at Maeve's patience.

:Touchy,: the demon muttered mentally, but was smart enough to shut up before Maeve's anger turned overwhelming and gave her the strength to temporarily smash Kalamitat's presence and influence. When Maeve had finished, she set everything neatly in a corner, and headed back out towards the blacksmith, since the dull task had calmed her down. She lingered off to the side, simply waiting for Natha to relax enough for them to all decide when the hunt would begin. Kalamitat made no remark towards the fact that they would be hunting one of its own kind.

///

Lance nodded gratefully towards Edwin, grateful for the knight's resourcefulness, and hung back with Cecile as the group moved forwards slowly now. He marveled quietly at the huge dragon skull but kept himself prepared for the worst, hand lightly gripping his sword. The stench, while unbearable at this point, was removed completely from the king's mind as his stubborn, mulish personality zeroed in on the task at hand.

///

Ferris look up towards Chalondra and shrugged lazily. "Retrieval isn't my thing, Chalondra, you know that. If you want me to kill something or clear the way then sure, but I'm not your messenger," she answered, rising to her feet and smoothing her clothing. "She's off with the good doctor," the demon added, crossing her arms. "She's infatuated, really. Disgustingly so. She doesn't even truly realize who his ancestor is, I'm bettin'," Ferris growled.

"On second thought, I'll take that mission. Gives me a chance to kill something on the way," she muttered, yanking a folded map out of her jacket pocket and holding it out towards Chalondra.

Dreadnought shakes his head in the negative."They're soldiers through and through. Trained to fight and nothing else. They didn't understand what freedom was, but they did understand chain of command. And when their commander asked if they would train under him in preparation for a new war, they agreed. So he had a powerful Artificer craft a Demiplane for them and they all left. They've been gone for 3,000 years now, I think."

South Yunakai--

It felt good to Edwin who noticed the other men appreciated his handling of the princess. He sighed as he reflected on the past. No one there quite knew the extent of their history. Indeed, as a young recruit into the Emerald Thorns, Edwin often was relegated to "princess duty". This was the responsibility given to inexperienced thorns... During the times of outlawed magic, the commander and Rose king recognized that the princess needed the protection of a high level mage, but she wasn't important enough to waste the valuable resource of an experienced Emerald Thorn on. 

Thus, several years prior, Edwin and Cecile spent a significant amount of time together. While those relegated to what was thought of as a glorified babysitting job received flak from other knights, Edwin overall enjoyed his time. It was an easier job, and he was in the comfort of the castle most of the time. There were times when he let Cecile have her fun, but perhaps what was most fun to Edwin was telling her no. Being in a position of power over the princess where she couldn't even whine about it to anyone...

Edwin let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his thick brown hair as the old dragon skull and town came into view. He tried to be discreet as he peered to the side and at Cecile, dreading the daunting task of holding her hand while they pass. His eyes were full of their usual contempt for her, fueled only by Lanister and Lance's insistance that she be granted the respect of a powerful leader.

Edwin looked away, hoping no one noticed his stare. Luckily, the princess was already making enough noise to draw the attention of others, or so he thought. 

Cecile was ogling over the dragon skull, smiling and pointing at it in her excitement. She'd probably never seen such a thing, Edwin thought, given her limited travels. Yeah, she was cute, but cute wasn't worth all of this trouble. He was glad that at least she seemed to forget about the smell. 

However, It was no more than two seconds later the grim source of the odor became apparent... there was a line of decaying bodies laid out at the front gates of the town. Perhaps it was intended as a warning to all passerbys, he wasnt sure, but Cecile's bubbly mood popped and now she looked as though she was about to cry. 

Please no fucking crying... Edwin thought bitterly with a roll of his eyes. For now it seemed the girl was sucking it up, but he doubted she would hold up for long. He glanced around to Lance and back ahead, considering the logistics of this trip. Now they knew Cecile was in significant danger there, but it was his responsibity. Of course the king wouldn't mind dragging Cecile through this; it wasnt on his head. 

Edwin knew that as soon as they reached the other side of the old Wyrm's head, Amberjack would be in sight. It was just down the slope of the mountaineous skull, and if all went well here they would soon arrive. However, if things went sour, would Cecile even be capable of facing the South Yunakai rulers? Edwin imagined that Cecile wouldn't. She didn't have the stamina for two back to back assaults. 

Edwin sauntered to Lance's side, observing his hand gripped around his sword. He walked next to him in silence for some time while trying to decide how Lance would respond to what he had to say. 

"I really wish you would let me do my job. No one here should know about the princess being with us", Edwin at last murmured to him. Cecile was walking ahead of them, still interested in the new sights although the deceased had put a damper on her mood. She didn't pay any attention to Edwin's comment, but it didn't surprise him. 

The group made it past the line of bodies and soon were beyond the gates heading towards the buildings scaling the wyrm skull. As Oromis passed last, he may or may not have noticed a black feline sitting low in the grass alongside the bodies. It was observing them quietly with its large yellow eyes. 

@Inheritance

Oromis Silverspire

By the Gods did she just throw up? Why?! There wasn't anything to even get remotely disturbed by right? He had a cold glare aimed at her and the idiot who was helping her. Gods he wished he could be back at his capital leading an army into the South...that would be brilliant. He kept a scowl, which couldn't be seen, but the sharp glare burned through, as they continued onward, and seeing the skull was the only thing that perked his attention in the slightest. It didn't make him want to stop or anything, he just found it rather neat that it was here.

Approaching the dead bodies he kinda raised an eyebrow, and prepared for some kind of fight. Seeing the Princess, however, made him shake with rage. How the hell were they supposed to win any kind of fight when their team shuddered at death? And who cares! Nobody here knew these people right? So who cares if they died? Survival of the fittest.... He let out a snort of disgust at the girl, not caring if she heard it.

He was rather pissed off as they crossed. Sure he noticed the cat, and many other things too, but he didn't pay it any attention at all. It didn't matter, probably some house cat that no longer had an owner. Who cares. Moving on. He stayed in the back though, to keep an eye on things. He was extremely hypersensitive since seeing the dead bodies, so he was preparing for any kind of attack, and could see most things very quickly. Of course while he was looking for quick movements and such, he didn't look to deep into things once they moved past.

"Be ready for a fight." He growled. He assumed everyone was, but hey, don't assume. It makes an ass out of u and me. (GET IT?! ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING)

@Enuky @Andraus @Trombone Geek

Edward nodded when Natha told them his rather lacking explenation for his Alethean name, but he payed it no heed. If the prince did not wish to tell him yet, he was willing to wait.

Upon the surge of demonic energy released by Natha, Sir Edward would nearly fall over, with only Louise's small frame stopping him. "Father! Are you alright? What's wrong? What happened?" She asked, a look of extreme worry mixed with the faintest hint of fear on her face at the sight of her weakened father. Obviously, she had never seen her father react as such before. "I'm alright, my little sparrow. Just a small dizzyspell is all, nothing more." Edward would reassure his daughter, regaining his legs easily afterwards.

"I believe I can understand how you feel in this situation, Natha." Edwards morose tone practically spelling out that he knows of Natha's siblings, and has gone through something just as bad. "I thank you very much, Natha, for your willingness to aid me and my daughter." After thanking the prince, Edward would turn to Louise. "Please show Natha the map," he would ask of her. Louise would pull out a large map of Morganna, placing it down on a nearby table, before motioning for Natha to come over.

"We are here, in Reef-Shallows" a delicate finger would point to where the small village was located on the western coast of the Sanvar Bay, before moving it slightly to the south east, towards the peninsula known as Kylorin's Quay, not to be confused with the Scythe to the east, or Pincer Point where Amberjack was located.

"And Quezor was last reported to hav been right around. . . here," She would indicate towards the head of Kylorin's Quay, right up against the coast. "In the ruins of Traghad." Traghad was the first capital of Yunakai, contructed during the reign of Yunakai's first king, Kylorin, who was also believed to be the first magic user, and, if the folk tales were to be believed, was able to obtain the secret of immortality by stealing it from the gods themselves.

Edward would step forward, standing near the table. "We've been noticing that demons and cultists have begun to appear around areas with heavy magical influence for our world, but as to what they're trying to do, we don't know as of yet. However, it would seem that Quezor has chosen to go to Traghad for that very same reason, and no doubt, whatever he is planning, it is of ill intent," Edward would state bluntly.

Schloss_Falkenstein_Planung_Gemälde_Historismus_Ludwig.jpg

@Andraus @Trombone Geek

Yoren would examine the footprints, noticing a little over four dozen tracks made by what would seem to be the bandits, and there was a smell like burnt cherries in the air. "There's been magic used here. Demonic, by the smell of it. Not a good sign. Aizen-" Yoren would begin to say, before realizing that the young hobbit had disappeared. "Where did Aizen go?"

° ° ° ° ° ° °

As Aizen would pass through the town, he would pass by at least four more large clusters of corpses where the three groups had done battle. In the fifth area, he would find what was left of a wooden pallisade, with a town guard impaled onto part of the pallisade. As Aizen would look, two or three creatures near his size would seem to appear nar the bodies, ripping into the corpses.

5e1f8b7a6ea6cbc5079cb588305a3878-1.jpg

Mottled yellow and red flesh, gigantic ears, an almost completely flat nose, small, wide set eyes, and a mouth filled with needle like teeth. If Aizen smelled the air, he would detect the faint smell of burning cherries.

@Andraus @Enuky @Trombone Geek @DemetrioMachete @Inheritance

pirate_of_all_pirates_by_thefrigidfanatic-d59lokx.jpg

Falamar stood on the poop deck of the pitch black ship, shouting commands as they prepared to make port in Amberjack. Off to starboard, about a dozen fishing vessels sat at rest, most not even the size of a sloop. Falamar laughed a little at the sight of them, as he knew that they could never hope to compare themselves to his own mighty ship, the Black Wind. Of course, there were very few ships that could match her in all the seas.

She was a brigantine, double masted, and sturdier than a mountain. Her prow was mounted wish a steel ramming head, and was able to smash through nearly any ship she encountered, or blow them apart with her fifty cannon. Twenty apiece port and starboard, with five mounted on her fore and aft, each. Practically invincible. There wasn't a scrape she wasn't able to get out off, and not once has she ever come close to losing. Such fame had she acquired, that the Black Wind even won herself a sea shanty. Not an easy thing to do, to say the least.

As Falamar would continue to sing praises for the Black Wind in his mind, she would easily round the little isle off the coast of the rebel capital. Dragon Eye or some such nonsense along those lines. Apparently, it was the main dragon nesting grounds for the rebel forces. He scoffed at the thought of those glorified flying lizards. The original Lanun of Yunakai, his and his crews ancestors, had originally left their homeland for that very reason, having choosen the beauties of the vast oceans of their world over those gods-forsaken beasts.

As they would draw into the harbor, Falamar would Whisper a little prayer to Danalin, Lady of the Waves, to let them be able to dock with little hardship. A moment later, the Black Wind would easily pull herself into the dockyards of Amberjack.

As the jacks would set the gangplank down onto the dock for the rest of the men, a little weasel of a man would scamper up it, pushing his way onto the ship through the crewmembers without even the remotest hint of an apology. It seemed to Falamar that Danalin only protected you and your ship from getting smashed to bits as you came in to dock, not from the rats and other pests that inevitably scampered on board when you've finally made your landing.

The little man, who, by the very way in which he acted and held himself, was the master of this individual section of the harbor. "Excuse me! Excuse me!" the little man shouted in an almost exasperated tone, as if he had been shouting for Falamar's attention for the past hour, even though he had only just started. "You're not allowed to dock here! Only civil servents and men of the navy may use this dock!"

Falamar raised an eyebrow at the dockmaster. "Hmm. You do make a very valid point there, but, you see, we are actually privateers, and I was just about to go and seek employ for myself and my crew with your fair King," Falamar informed the weasaly man.

"You're more like glorified pirates and cut-throats, I must say!" the dockmaster shouted. A poor choice, given the fact that he was surrounded by the very crewmen he was insulting, though this did not seem to cross the mans mind. "Still, you're not in the kings service, only a bloody pirate, which means you can not dock your disgusting little ship here! This spot is for galleons and ships-of-the-line, not glorified sloops!"

Falamar, glowered at the man, before speaking again. "I am not in the kings service yet. However, I will be by the time my crew and I leave here." Falamar told the dockmaster. "But, a little word of advice. I would not insult a man, his crew, and his ship whilst standing on his ship, surrounded by his men, and talking directly to him. That sort of stupidity tends to cut your life short by a very large amount." Falamar warned the man.

"Amergin, would you please hold down the ship for me whilst a few crew members and I head up to see about some gainful employment for us?" Amergin would simply nod before giving him a thin lipped smile. The rest of the crew chuckled lightly at the subtle joke, much to the dockmaster's chargin. "What is so funny? Where do you think you're going?" he would begin to question before two crewmen would take him up and carry him below. "Wait, where are you taking me? What are you doing? No, no! I demand that you release me! Let go!" the weasaly man would continue to beg, plead, command, bargain, and threaten the crewmen until they threw him into the ships brig.

During that time, Falamar had begun his way up followed by three Lanun, winding their way through the city towards the beautiful palace. About an hour later, they would finally come before the doors of the palace, and would knock. "Hope somebody's home." Falamar would mutter under his breath.

@Andraus @Enuky @DemetrioMachete @Trombone Geek

Natha would look down at the map, examining it with a burning gaze, as he would speak up. "I can imagine it would be for one of three reasons, or all at once: Those ruins are old, but still they stand, a testament to the strong craftsmanship of it's time. Perfect for a fortified hideout. Another is the possibility of ancient artifacts and historical notes, as such would no doubt prove useful for the demons in their machinations. Last, but not least? Corpses and Negative energy. Dark Magic thrives on places where negativity and death are high, and the corpses would be perfect to create an army of thralls, willing to do their bidding. "  Natha said, using past experience from combating the demons to chalk up reasoning's."In any event, if my power will allow me, I shall make sure that it is the last resting place of that demon. He has plagued this world long enough. This cancer must be cut." Natha said, before looking towards them. "By your leave, I shall gather my companion, and make haste with you towards it's hiding place. We'll burn the creature out.He said, conviction strong in his voice. To him, this was the closing of another chapter from his history, another nail in the coffin.

Yaro was busy in the Castle, preparing for their departure. However, Yaro refused to leave Prudences side at any point, opting to have Lexus take care of the main work. He was busy fussing over the woman, making sure she was well, and that both the baby and her were properly fed. "I know I must go with Klaus to this Tomb to retrieve the weapon.....But I am worried about you. I nearly lost you once, what if something happens while I am gone? I'd never forgive myself." Yaro said, holding Prudence close. He was terrified of losing the woman, now that he knew how much she truly meant to him. "Do you have everything you need? Do I need to gather more?" He asked. Even though he was right to worry, this fussing would likely annoy Prudence.

This ended when he heard knocking on the door to the keep. Yaro would let out a sigh, before walking towards the door himself, and opening it. "Yes? May I help you?" He asked. Though it was often unconventional, Yaro preferred to be among the public when he addressed them, despite being king. It kept him grounded, focused. 

Lanister would look around. "He was here moments ago....Dammit, I told him to stay close! "Lanister said, drawing his blade, and watching it extend. "Master,  I'll head into the town, to find the young one. Stay here with the rest to ensure their safety. If a demon is present.....They're not prepared for it, like you or I am." He said to him, before heading towards the town, Looking for Aizen.

Mizuki would stare towards the man, a glowing look in her eye, before holding up a hand. Picking up a bottle of paralysis poison, in case of the event that the Mind-Control Poison wore off, Mizuki would fling a needle covered in it at Cleveland's back, to keep him from escaping. After all, if he did, that would be troublesome. It would wear off in a couple hours. Finally done with that, Mizuki would follow behind, a grin on her face. "Oh really? and how do you propose to 'repay' me?"

Chalondra would scribble the location down on the map. "Traghad, the old capitol. Careful though, I've been hearing that demons and dark magical energies have been popping up in abundance. If you see anyone there willing to join, feel free. If they refuse or try to fight.....Deal with them as you see fit. I leave that up to you. " Chalondra said, before handing the map to her. "-But I want Quezor alive."

@Trombone Geek @DemetrioMachete @Inheritance @Dalamus Ulom @Enuky

Aizen was quite thankful he was invisible. All alone, his body was sending him danger signals, as he gazed upon these creatures. Carefully, he took silent steps backwards, until they were out of his sight. Then he broke out into a sprint, rushing back towards the group. His invisibility wore off, his figure seeming to rematerialize as he ran towards them.

"There's some uuugly, ugly flesh eating creatures in there.. I counted perhaps.. two or three? They smelled of burnt... cherries. An odd comparison, surely." His hands were trembling. He had to hold them across his stomach to calm down. Flesh eaters were always a number one priority to kill, for Aizen. To be considered nothing but food.. how demoralizing!

@Dalamus Ulom @Enuky @Trombone Geek

. . .

"That still sounds like a lot." Lenelia scratched the back of his head, listening to the sounds surrounding them. "Maybe it's different for machinations, but any number of millenia sounds like far too long for me. How do they not get bored?" Out in the distance, Lenelia could make out a bridge in the distance, but something.. bright seemed to linger beneath it. Surrounding the bridge on two sides was a muck of swamp water. The tracks lead onto the bridge.. but it looked rather frail. Unlike the carriage, this most certainly couldn't carry Dread's weight, he guessed.

@transcendantviewer

. . .

"Why, the oldest method of human reward, of course." as dutifully as Mizuki studied humans, surely she would know what the doctor was referring to. His cheeks flushed with color as he took his next breath. "I could demonstrate in my sleeping quarters, or rather..." he nodded his head to the incapacitated Cleveland, who was groggily mumbling within his own vomit.

"We could do so here, if you don't mind him watching."

@Andraus

"When all you know is your purpose, and learn through trial, you grow to appreciate monotony." was Dreadnought's simple response, looking to the bridge. He nods and takes a few steps back before charging the bridge. He then grunts in exertion as he leaps with all his might, attempting to leap the entire distance of the bridge in a single bound. With his size and momentum, he's carried across the gap with little effort, and lands on the other side with a tucking roll, a heavy thud accompanying his landing.

@DemetrioMachete

Lance glanced sideways at Edwin, tilting his head. "To protect her, or to shut her up?" he asked bluntly, taking care to quiet his voice so the princess didn't hear. He stepped into the village proper, taking his way slowly and ignoring Lanister's indirect order to stay outside the village. The Bathelonian king was tense, seeming to barely sense a malevolent something nearby. He took his time, moving slowly and keeping as much of the village as he could in his sight, hoping Edwin was kind of catching the idea and covering his back as they talked. Lance would pause sometimes, peer into an alleyway for a few moments, and move on when he was sure there was nothing left.

"Whatever you plan on doing, do it now before we get too much farther. I don't think Cecile can handle any more stress, anyways." It seemed Lance felt quite agreeable today; that was the second time he'd been okay with something Edwin had done or said. Of course, Edwin wasn't a bad strategist or soldier, just.. Lance didn't quite like his personality.

///

Ferris nodded, a vicious look taking over her face when she learned of all the fun kiddos she'd get to take out. "It's Christmas, it must be. All these presents just for me.." she murmured, snatching the map from Chalondra and practically vibrating with excitement. "Alrighty, so if Quezor says 'nah' tie 'im up and drag 'im 'ere. Can do! Alrighty. Tally-ho! Sayonara! See ya later, Darth Vader!" It seemed Ferris practically teleported away with all the speed she'd departed with. 

The demon wasted no way in making her way to the old city, and arrived there much earlier than her opponents for Quezor, although she took her sweet time killing demons and meandering around, as if she expected extra and entertaining competition at any moment. The woman wasn't quite sure WHAT she expected, but she knew it was bound to be enjoyable--and bloody.

/// 

Maeve was silent through Natha's short 'speech' of sorts, and hummed in contemplation at his reference to her as his 'companion.' She'd gone from guide to partner in a few days. Which wasn't bad by any means; strength in numbers was a real thing. Something about it made her uneasy, though.

:You don't want another Yaro in your life,: Kalamitat brought up in a bored tone. :Just be honest with yourself. And also, avoid relationships. They only lead to heartbreak, not to mention domestic bliss isn't and never will be something for you.:

I'm not in the mood for your shit, Kalamitat. Shut up. 

:Whatever. Go and get yourself hurt some more. Not like I care,: 
the demon answered. Was it.. offended? 

:Don't go any further with that thought,: came the expected and deadly warning, the same sentence spoken every time Maeve began to wonder if Kalamitat had human feelings. With a mental shrug, Maeve focused back on the task at hand.

"I'm ready whenever you are, Natha," the assassin finally said. Truthfully, she was excited to test out her new and improved sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back