Other pockets of creation; worlds within worlds

Creation is flat, and conveniently defined in terms of five elemental poles.

But several of the books say that Creation used to be much larger...

Suppose that during the great contagion, some cities weren't gobbled up by the wyld, but they were cut off from the rest of creation, waiting to be rediscovered.

Does that mean that the all of the Essence Shards reincarnate in the Creation we know?  Or were some of them from elsewhere?

If there are other places that were once part of a larger Creation that still resemble their pre-wyld selves, what might they be like?  Could everything have changed?  Would they be as they were before the contagion?

Would they be affected by the loom of fate?

If not, that would be an interesting insight into the Realm's defense systems; the "great machine" churning away at the center of Creation (Dark City, anyone?).  Though I'm digressing, perhaps the defense systems made whatever was invading a part of the Loom, and at that point, it would be easy to predict and to cut their threads.

Wow... this one rambled, but consider the possibilities!

There is actually several listed city in the books that exist in the Wyld, a pocket of reality in the midst of chaos.  One is listed in the 'Ruins of Rathess'.  Rathess is a former Dragon King city.  Broken down and filled with threats to any savant looking for knowledge of the First Age or artifacts.  Less than two hundred miles to the south, in the midst of the Wyld, is a full scale Dragon King city filled with working First Age technology and artifacts.

In reality, the city is occupied by Raksha in the forms of Dragon Kings, examining some gadgets called 'Reality Engines' that keep the Wyld out and maintains the city as it once was.  If someone discovers the secret identities of the new inhabitants, they will do their best to let you take the secret to your grave.

So, are there other First Age cities out there, surrounded by the Wyld, waiting to be discovered?  The answer comes down to:  If it works for your game, make it so.  Just make sure your players earn what they get in one hell of a nasty Wyld time!

Does that mean that the all of the Essence Shards reincarnate in the Creation we know?  Or were some of them from elsewhere?
I would say they reincarnate where ever the god of Reincarnation says they should.  If I remember correctly that is exactly how it works.  He says reincarnate in this person or that person or that person.  I beleive that gods know nothing about what goes on in the Wyld, could be wrong here, so I would assume that they can't reincarnte shards into wyld areas.  That is my version of Exalted though and Sherwood is right whatever works for you is what you should do.

One of my homebrew Charms, "World-Within-A-World Retreat" introduces another possibility for pockets of reality left over from the First Age. You can find it in the submissions section under Solar Lore.

-S

If you look at Time of Tulmult they also have a similiar trick... only involving paintings or various artworks being 'worlds' in their own right.

I always took that to be more along the lines of a god's sanctum... though it has been a while since I read ToT.

The Fair Folk book also implied that Creation kind of joins two sides of a Stronghold, creating that world-within-a-demense in a similar fashion that is mentioned above.

There is, however, the doorway aspect of strongholds, implying that they can only exist as a tear in reality, bounded on all sides by creation. If the Wyld is not bound on all sides, it may obey different rules.

An idea for a high-level Solar (because of their fixit style) or Sidereal (because of their ability to drag creation around) charm may be to drag these orbiting Creation-pockets back to creation itself. A Lunar charm may involve sniffing out these pockets, (tracking related) to that their spouse can fix it.

What do you think they might look like on the Loom of Fate? I imagine they're on it somewhere... though pretty sure the Loom couldn't tell you where in the Wyld they are. o/c "where" is kinda redundant in the Wyld...

The pockets you are talking about may not even show on the Loom.  The Underworlders and the Autochtonians are both unaffected by the Loom (much to the Sidereals angst).  So there is precident to say that there is a pocket of Creation that can be connected to the 'rest of the world' by some undefined means that does not show by astrology.

Sherwood said:
The pockets you are talking about may not even show on the Loom.  The Underworlders and the Autochtonians are both unaffected by the Loom (much to the Sidereals angst).  So there is precident to say that there is a pocket of Creation that can be connected to the 'rest of the world' by some undefined means that does not show by astrology.
Yes, but both of these places have their own fate-engines: Autocthon's Design, and the Underworld's Calendar of Setesh.

If these pockets in the Wyld were not governed by the Loom, they'd need some other mechanism to keep them cohesive.

-S

Stillborn said:
If these pockets in the Wyld were not governed by the Loom, they'd need some other mechanism to keep them cohesive.
Something Ring-based, like Forging the Fountainhead (E:tFF190) or Assumption of (Land's|City's Heart) (E:tFF 150 may provide a guiding pattern to Wyld areas in a similar way to the Loom/Calendar/Design.

Interestingly, where's Yu-Shan's unique guidance tool? Is it the Games of Divinity?

Well, since Yu-Shan is where the gods and Sidereals operate the mundane paperwork of running Creation, I'd guess it takes care of itself.

As for other pockets having some sort of mechanism to make them operate correctly, there is already two lands off of the Loom of Fate that run on their own well enough.  Why not more?  Or, why would they need something to make it run if it operates with a different set of rules to its 'reality'?  Different lands, different rules.

Sherwood said:
As for other pockets having some sort of mechanism to make them operate correctly, there is already two lands off of the Loom of Fate that run on their own well enough.
Yes, off the Loom, but not without their own Fate menchanisms, as I've lready mentioned.

Sherwood said:
Or, why would they need something to make it run if it operates with a different set of rules to its 'reality'?  Different lands, different rules.
Yes. the point is that without a Fate-engine of some sort, there are no rules. That's what the Loom, the Design, and the Calendar do. they govern causality.

The different realms already do have different rules -- and without a rules-enforcing device, you've only got the Wyld.

-S

ashenphoenix said:
Interestingly, where's Yu-Shan's unique guidance tool? Is it the Games of Divinity?
It's part of Fate. The GoD just determine its astronomy, not its astrology. It's not stated whether Yu-Shan's on the Loom, but considering that you can see yourself looking at the Loom in the Loom, it seems that Heaven's on the Loom too.

Hmmm. The Loom of Fate weaves the Loom and the weavers of the Loom? Damn, if I were Autochthon, that's how I'd do it.

In my opinion, reality engines already do that sort of thing.

Remember, at the end of the Primordial War, one of the Yozi's released three great fires that bruned Creation and what was not burned is what existed in the First Age.  The question is, was there any other parts of Creation on the other side of those burns?  If there were, and they contained Dragon Kings, the only high Essence reproducers that could do the necessary Artifact work, you could have vast areas of Creation floating in the Wyld, maintained by lost civilizations of Dragon Kings, that could be exploring the Wyld in protected Essence Vehicles right now, about to stumble on Creation.  If they produced reality engines and a Calender of their own, both potential possible even without Celestial help, then they could have enough stability to maintain a vastly powerful civilization.  Who knows, there could be dozens of these outposts, each with millions of Dragon Kings, just waiting to reclaim their birthright, the rulership of Creation.

That sounds like a very cool possibility... except:

If they produced reality engines and a Calender of their own' date=' both potential possible even without Celestial help[/quote']
How are you sure it's so easy? Do we have examples of a Fate-engine being created without Primordial help?

The Calendar of Setesh was made by ghosts, granted, but it'ssurely under Malfean influence. This would be a Fate-engine completely out of the purview of any Primordial at all.

-S

Stillborn said:
The Calendar of Setesh was made by ghosts, granted, but it'ssurely under Malfean :shock: influence.
I never got that impression. The Malfeans :shock: seemed to have comparatively little influence in the Underworld prior to the march of the Deathlords on Stygia. Remember that Stygia was initially a fortress against the forces of Oblivion.

Also, don't the Malfeans :shock: want to break or stop the Calendar or something? All part of their voidy doom plan I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread