Opinions on Expecting Characters?

Is it wierd when a character is pregnant when it comes to certain roleplays?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Kind of

• I think its cute

• Total voters

BloodThunder27

Seven Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I know opinions vary on this. Its also new to me, lately I have been trying it out in some roleplays that I find suitable for it. In the past, I only left hints to avoid awkwardness, but now I just don't really care and I can care less if its awkward. Nothing's awkward to me anymore...So I'm very Flexible, I can play any type of character that is thrown at me...BUT I will back off if there are Furries or Yaoi is involved. I can't do those two. Can't stand them. Oh wells...
IMG_66941.jpg

I don't find it any weirder than walking down the street and seeing an expecting mother. Pregnancy happens IRL... why not RPs?

As long as they do it right, not just... POOF!

I remember back in the olden times of AOL chat RPing, one girl was constantly pregnant. Kept having kids and making them new characters.

The pregnancy itself, not weird.

The near constant pregnancies that lasted all of like, two days with children that aged anywhere from 5-20 something years in a few more days?

Weird.

DeusExAlice said:
I remember back in the olden times of AOL chat RPing, one girl was constantly pregnant. Kept having kids and making them new characters.
The pregnancy itself, not weird.

The near constant pregnancies that lasted all of like, two days with children that aged anywhere from 5-20 something years in a few more days?

Weird.
Ah, Sci-Fi's weirdest trope which does kinda gives me the creeps; the 'Mystical Pregnancy'. Sometimes it sends chills down my spine. Aliens...Demons using Human as Incubators for their spawn...Creepy.

Hand waved explanations are just fine. Those don't bother me, s'long as it's not being played purely for EDGEFACTOR!

I mean the stuff that has absolutely no reasoning, no drawbacks and just exists to be a very minor inconvenience to push through a poor plot.

And any of the gritty stuff that comes with birth must go fade to black, otherwise pregnancy is fine. Somewhat underused in characters on this site.

Like a lot of other stuff, if it has no particular reason, I'm not a fan, but if used right and handled well, it can result in really interesting storylines.

If handled well, rationally and with maturity it can be good. Otherwise it becomes a "This is so cool, look at me!!!!" type affectation.

I've seen it done well, in a Fading Suns game where an alien was pregnant but still very much an active member of the group. Cue shenanigans in a sci-fi that sent her into contractions, my character somehow being the one to help her deliver (Pregnant alien was another players character) and rescue us blah-blah. The new mother then basically retired her character to raise the youngsters and brought in a new PC. Over the course of the rest of the campaign which had numerous extended downtimes the mother was checked in on and over the years the child grew etc. All well and good, thought out, normal.

Same with a Vampire Masquerade game I played in where I was a Tzimisce who effectively controlled the populace of the city I held under my sway (Was a Dark Ages game using Masquerade rules-et). Cue Tzimisce messing with mortals and then eventually hitting on the idea of Revenants and Schlata etc in a big Eugenics program. Knowing the populace wouldn't take kindly to arrange marriages and the like it was all very much subtle manipulation and often didn't work out as I expected, but over the course of several centuries (6 I believe) I managed to strengthen the gene-pool of the city such that they were all classed as Ghouls without needing blood. They found out though and my PC was strung up. There had been many pregnancies and specific individual mothers and children who were prominant NPCs but my horrifically nasty Tzimisce, whilst protecting the populace, got his just deserts staked to the church spire at dawn for all to see. I then decided to play a more wholesome type who wasn't a thoroughly evil git...

I've also seen it done very, very poorly - for shock value much like Human Centipede 2 does - in that it was an obvious and rather telegraphed setup from a GM who favoured "shock and awe" scenes to get a rise out of the players. Can't recall the system or setting but was one including horrible freaky gobliny things pouring love potions into a towns wells to make the humans of a village love them (Yeah ... I know) and then breed with them. Ick. Pregnancies that lasted (And I don't jest..) hours. Then scenes of multiple goblinoid-human hybrid things being born/spawned and rampaging. It was part Gremlins, part Critters, part sick fantasy of the GM (Who was a new guy to GM'ing and I think didn't really have many players afterwards) and all just ... ick. If handled maturely with the gravitas of what was going on, the sinister creepiness of it, the vile intent clearly shown and the horrible consequences realized etc then the stupidity of it could have been ignored. As it was the GM played it out as a semi-comedic romp and silly escapade for "light relief" like some kind of grim sitcom. Didn't impress us as players.

In my opinion, pregnancy has to be integral to the plot for it to the included. If it's not, then I prefer to not use It. I personally would hate someone to randomly have their character pregnant without discussing it with me. But, that may be my own personal bias, given that I hate role-playing as pregnant women and children. In short, sometimes.

I love this idea. Partly because I am pregnant. I think there could be so many good pairings. Like pregnant best friends or an accidental pregnancy. The ideas are endless to be honest. Go with your instincts and do what you are comfortable with.

I personally have never played in a roleplay with a pregnant character, so I can offer my limited perspective on why it might be something people are hesitant with. I find the idea unappealing because I suppose I personally am intimidated with pregnancy (being a 16 year old I think this is normal?) and I find that there's way too much of a chance that it'll be all screwed up. Although since I haven't been in a roleplay with a pregnant character I can't say for sure. I'd be open to joining one with a pregnant character, although I don't think I'd personally ever play one.

The operative word is "certain" roleplays... Of course in some genres, especially if not done elegantly, it would just be a huge distraction... Coliseum RP? Who wants to kill a pregnant gladiator?

Besides that though, I think "expecting" if done right can bring a lot more to the table than it subtracts... In practically any genre-- whether it's "can we even raise kids anymore?!" In a post-apoc scenario, or the novelty of a "birth" in a society of robots, or the added drama of "but will it hurt the baby?" To face the increased pressure onboard an escape submersible in an underwater RP... Drama and interesting choices drive RP, so if done right I think it's a good element for those courageous enough to try to implement it correctly.

That said, I'd dislike it if the expecting character in question brought little more to the table than being pregnant and/or needing extra care and protection... If done wrong it takes away the center of emphasis for the RP (unless the center of emphasis is of course, babies) and becomes a drain on the surrounding story.

Overall, it could be GREAT if done with a sensitivity to the larger group and RP... Far easier for it to become a drag though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back