OOC

Tis true, what you say. @Destructus Kloud my friend, we will need that ships abilities chart up here, or in the sign up area.

Also, character names don't matter. You can only be captain, unless someone wants to brave the risks of being fleet admiral.

@Destructus Kloud I do need that ship abilities chart for me as well, though I'll probably pick a battle cruiser.

Do we have a set Ship Sheet? An, S.S. if you will? *BLAM*

But in all seriousness, there does need to be some sort of assigned character sheet. I'll create one if the need arises.

Nah, I'm doing it. I got charts and stuff for this shizz, it'l give you some base weapons and preset ship stats to choose from that will dictate how well you do stuff. An ss is on the way, have no fear. :P  

Oh, lol, I totally forgot this. Weapons descriptions!!!

Lasers: erm... they're lasers...

Missiles: Ditto. Can be avoided by turning sharply, easier for smaller ships.

Mines: Usually used as a trap, either drop along the trail and hope following ships hit them or put them around jump points. (Jump points explained in mechanics thread)

NFGs: Null Field Generators are basically depth charges in space. You fire a canister at an enemy ship. The canister makes contact and explodes, taking everything within a considerable radius and obliterating it into dust. It can disintegrate about a fourth of a ship, depending on where the hit was made.

How do you plan to handle ship to ship combat? I noted you said missiles could be dodged... does that mean these ships have no point defense capability? How will sensor capability factor in to combat? Do shields reset when their rating is exceeded,  or are the generators destroyed? Weapons ranges? 

Sorry for all the questions,  but I'd like a good idea how this is going to be handled. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tarmagon

Above is just a basic description, stats will be coming shortly in the other thread. Similar to the crew stats, I'm thinking of just giving a vague system of like short, medium and long range, for example, but we may switch that to a points system like the actual ships.

Ship combat... I'm not exactly sure, but there'll be a hex-based map for players to appear on in addition to the paragraph or so of what they end up doing. This will include latitude, longitude and height, the whole x/y/z! :D  And of course, we'll have to take stats into account for all ships involved. Refer to @Weston Da Wookie for a better update. 

Concerning defence, if you meant point defence capability like hit points, then I'm giving you a solid maybe, we're not sure yet. :P  You can dodge missiles if you have the engine power and manoeuvrability, for example light cruisers and destroyers could do so easily given their size and speed, battle cruisers are very situational there but it is very possible and battleships is a big no in general. xD   Sensors will function in combat generally for detecting cloakers, incoming missiles and fire, and mines. Although I'm not the one who actually knows all about the original series on all this, so ask @Weston Da Wookie for better info. :)  Shields will be put on cool down I'd imagine when they take too much damage, which is where shield recharge comes into play, making the time less for when the shielding comes back online. The shield batteries will not be destroyed unless actually targeted and shot through the ship hull post the shields going down. Of course I could be wrong about that if Weston has other ideas, but that's how I understood it. Weapon ranges are coming. :D  

The questions are fine and feel free to ask more! If anything, it gives us a better idea of how this'll work as well. :D  

~DK

Last edited by a moderator:
All correct, @Destructus Kloud. We'll probably have a point system set up so you can see the base stats for your ships, then change them after missions and such. Probably from 1 to 5 or so, and you can purchase/make upgrades.

Thanks. As for what I by point defense,  PD stations consist of small,  rapidly firing lasers, auto cannon,  and counter missile launchers whose sole purpose for existing is to shoot incoming missiles. Useless against ships,  but deadly against incoming fire. A certain percentage always get through,  and they can be over worked, usually by coordinated volleys. 

Sure! We can put it at, what, 70% blocking success? 

Btw, I'm starting school tomorrow, so most activity will be on the weekends or late nights.

Pretty much. The weapons can track in on more targets than they can actually hit, but even the tracking capability can be over loaded. Give each unit a capacity based on ship size. Obviously location of the PD station is important too. They can only shoot what they can see. I don't know what salvo size we'll be using for missiles but for the sake of argument let's start at 5 for a destroyer. VS a salvo from a destroyer, it would have a 70% chance to shoot down each missile. If a second destroyer fired at the same time, the chance would drop 5% for each additional missile, making it now a 45% chance for each missile. If a third fired, the system would be overloaded, and have only a 5% chance. I assume that as the ships get larger, their PD systems get more numerous and powerful, so it would take a LOT of destroyers to overload a battleship, since it's base ability would be higher.  Base 70% vs a missile salvo of the same size the ship can launch. -5% per additional missile up to double the salvo size. Anything over double -10% to a minimum of 5% chance to intercept?

Alright guys, we'll be starting this up soon! There'll be updates along the way regarding building a ship, so just don't worry about it for now and get to making one! :D  

This sounds so good I can't wait to start and any chance I can be a carrier it would be so cool to be in charge of a swarm of space fighters and bombers. Pin point strikes to take out guns and PD ports once the shields are down

Hm.. Well we don't have stats for it yet... But it could be a cool little destroyer and ffa carrier with a multitude of turrets and shielding. I wouldn't imagine your engines or weapons would be too good tho. 

@Samurai Jay

Just so you know, FFAs are about the size of a light cruiser, if not larger. I'm thinking that a carrier would be about the same size as a light cruiser or FFA, and possibly as large as a battle cruiser, depending on what fighters you have.

ALSO, I RECOMMEND READING THE SUMMARIES OF EACH OF THE LOST FLEET BOOKS. IT WILL HELP SO YOU KNOW WHERE THE STORY LINE IS ATTEMPTING TO GO. It may give hints as to what will happen during this story. Also keep in mind that there is no Captain Geary in this timeline, unlike the book series. Instead, this goes on the assumption that old military records were discovered, and you all are the first to use them in combat.

Note: This is a very intense RP, and Destructus and I are still working on the mechanics. Bear with us until we have worked all the kinks out. Also, this will require you to work together to make decisions. Usually, the best time to coordinate is during jump space, or we can arrange for some planning time after exiting jump space and before you engage any enemies. However, there may be situations where you don't have time to plan in-system. Therefore, I highly recommend talking and planning during jump space travel. There will also be times when there is no combat and only missions for diplomacy/resupply, but these will still require communication. I am sorry this is taking so long to start, but I will definitely get this started this week. If I don't, please bug me about it until I do start. But not too much.  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back