Other One year anniversary post

Here I stand one year into this site. Looking back on my previous experiences in RP, my former endeavors, so much has changed. For those of you who recall what I said in my six months post, my roleplay experience has not been pleasant at all. As a matter of fact, if you were to ask me if I feel better about any of it, I would say no. Some things you just got to endure.

Twelve months go by fast. I joined this site a year ago, 365.25 days. So much in my life has changed, a lot for the better, perhaps a lot for the worst. As I used my six month anniversary to thank you all for your kindness, your roleplays, and your laughs, I found that my experiences this past year have taught me many things about myself.

Over the past year, despite me coming to and fro from this site, I have had a super busy life. School hit me harder than a salami sandwich loaded with bricks, and pretty much caused me to not reply to any of my roleplays. I have been through a lot of good times outside of this website. While you may not think you had something to do with it, you did. Before I came here, my former site ate into me rather viciously. But now, knowing this site can be one full of interesting people, I enjoy it. I get something out of this site, and therefore I am able to enjoy myself more.

For those of you that know me well, I’m an athlete. It’s usually a stereotype that roleplayers are the exact opposite of that, they aren’t really egotistical meatheads. That’s just me though. This past year, I had one of the greatest pleasures of my life while on the cross-country team. We went from having a 2-18 record, to having a 12-8 and finishing 2nd in our division. In the championship race, we finished in the top 5, even though we weren’t predicted to be anywhere close to that. Needless to say we were elated.

By no means am I a runner. I’m a larger dude. As a matter of fact, I was one of the slowest on the team. But this year I was put on the championship squad. We had two of our top runners go down with injuries, one of which cost a friend that race. The other was hampered badly. Still, people picked it up and we did very well.

The next sport for me (and still is) is basketball. At the start of the season, I ran too much during practice. I started to develop a pain in my leg, to the point where, in a scrimmage, I couldn’t even walk on it. I remember driving my car home that night, and falling down because I couldn’t walk on it. The next day I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my mid-leg. I had to muss half of the season sidelined on crutches. My one favorite sport, pretty much gone. To start the season we went 0-6. It was miserable sitting from the bench. We lost to teams we should’ve beaten. Those six weeks were painfully long. I didn’t even know if I would ever be able to play the same way I used to.

But I came back. And at the same time we did, everything clicked. We knocked off a lot of good opponents, on our way to finishing the season 8-12 and securing a 7 seed in playoffs. Even though we weren’t a top seed, it meant a lot to me to be back. It still does actually. Because I learned something from it all, about the game and myself.

I lost a part of my senior season, my starting role, my playing time, everything. But I realized that by biding my time, everything returns. Everything gets better. I didn’t know that, sitting on crutches for a few weeks that I’d ever play as good as I once did, if at all. But as painful as it was, I bided my time. And when my time came, it came. Tonight I played in my last game ever. I didn’t expect to play, but I was called on. We lost, but I had an extremely impressive game by my own standards. Playing only a few moments, I had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Basketball has been a passion of mine for a long time. And for me to end my season and career on such a note, it made a huge impact.

This is very similar to my previous site. When I decided to abandon my old site, I was certain I’d never find a site where I could enjoy myself. But in time, I found you guys.

Sometimes there are things in our lives that don’t go our way. We lose things that we shouldn’t, we get pushed or knocked down. Perhaps there are people in our lives that, despite who they are as a person, how terrible they treat others, they treat you, they get seemingly rewarded for it. Ah, life has a skewed lottery system at times. But that doesn’t mean that you won’t get yours. Sometimes what you got to do is keep your head up. Because one day, life will give us what we most want, our just rewards. And those rewards will far outweigh the others. And in due time karma will catch up to some. I guess the moral of the story is: never let anybody make you feel that you are a shit person, that you somehow are lesser than they are.  Some people get great things when they don’t deserve it, and sometimes people get nothing for their unspoken greatness. All I can say is that in due time, great things come. And at times things my look bleak, never give up on yourself and know that there are always people who will be there for you to support you in everything you do.

Another thing I learned was rather complex. I’m a bit of a braggart. I care a lot about my self image. I talk too much about myself sometimes. I see some people on this site, and all I ever see is how terribly they talk about themselves. I think that it is better to be happy with yourself than be upset with everything you do. Yes, I know sometimes things get us down. But, there are small victories and large in our own lives that are worth celebrating. And the thing is about friends: if they aren’t the least bit happy that you’re happy, are they really friends? So, if you did a great thing, if you’re proud of yourself, don’t be afraid to show it.

This is a bit of a random thought, a thoughtless meandering on my reflections thusfar. I have many of you to thank for keeping me on this site. By far you all outshine my old community. I still get so many messages about how terrible things still are. I read conversations where people are still bullied on there, and I am quite glad to have you guys.

Thank you all for keeping me here this short year. I gotta thank a few people in particular.

@McMajesticI cannot hardly state how much meaningful our friendship is. I enjoy sending you odd snapchats, talking in PM about stuff, and you making fun of my for my crappy roleplay habits. You’ve been there since the beginning, and I thank you for that. More than anything I can ever imagine.

@Kestrel You may not visit the site too much, but you are one of the GOATs to me on this site. You’re always kind. And that’s something I cannot ever forget.

@Aleikya YO BB. You’ve been such a close friend to me for so long. Again, you’re not on this site much, but you are a great person and a great friend. You’ve been there for me in terrible times, and in good times. Thanks for everything!

@The Mechanist

You too deserve mention. We’ve collaborated on so many projects. I’ve enjoyed talking with you for the past year. Keep being a great person!

Anyone who I roleplay with: some of you are new to roleplaying with me, some of you aren’t. All I can say is that by roleplaying with me, you keep the hobby alive in my heart. No pun intended. I enjoy the journey, the fun, the combat, the intrigue, the choices, all of it. It’s because of the small experiences that are the largest importance to me. Thank you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back