Other One Track Mind for a specific roleplay?

StrixDesmodus

Totally human, I swear!
Has anyone ever had a roleplay idea or setting that clicks with you so deeply that you're having trouble developing other ideas, even similar ones? The idea I've had is always initially popular, but nobody but myself stays with it for long, which is frustrating to me, because I have stuff planned for later in the rp but we never get to it. Now, I'm in a different rp and I'm still pining for my old setting and the characters which I've tailored to it, but I'm getting tired of not being able to get past the first in-rp day without people leaving, often without giving notice.
I've tried stating that it's supposed to be a long-term rp, and even talking about future events in the rp, but people still don't stay.
What can I do to either get over it, or to get people to stay? Is there some secret I'm missing?

Update: I've linked the current interest check. If anyone wants to give feedback, feel free.

Last edited:
This happens to me a lot, but I can rarely even RP my ideas since they tend to be more niche and outside of what's typically popular.

Yea so I have pretty much just stopped putting up interest checks of my own. I just stalk those of others and hope for the best.
Yeah, I've been wondering if I should do that, but I'm even unsure about the rp I'm currently in. Like, I feel like GMing for myself is my best option, because sometimes I just don't mesh with the other people's policies. Sometimes it's just stuff like post length, which I can usually adapt to, but sometimes it's also the way they handle disputes or misconduct. I've been burned in the past with stuff like that, and now I'm pretty easily spooked about the possibility of misunderstandings and incompatibility.

Ok, so I think I'm gonna reboot the rp after all. I just can't get over it, and maybe that's a good thing.
If you can't get an idea out of your head, then do not give up on it. I'm going through the same thing myself and I'm willing to wait as long as I need to find the perfect partner(s) for it (so far, I'm having pretty good luck, but we shall see). You might strike out and miss a few times, but as long as you're passionate about it, keep trying! Good luck with it and I hope you're able to find some success with it soon.

man it's so rough when that happens. there was once a superhero/metahuman rp i was in, and it went on for about two years before my partner took a permanent hiatus from writing. i went for a few years hunting for another version of that, and i've still never found anything that hit the same vibe.
i have a couple more ideas (or characters) that i'm fixated on right now and have been struggling to find partners for. what i really need to do is sit down and write out a full master rp search, but i never feel like i can get my interests across properly, or i can't really explain the kind of writing style i have or the traits i'd like to see in a partner

I definitely agree with other folks telling you to give your idea another shot - but perhaps it's also worth performing a bit of a post-mortem on your previous attempts, and figuring out how you can increase your chances of people sticking around. I'm not 100% sure if you're referring to group RPs or 1x1s, but if you want, you could ask for critique on an interest check or run through step-by-step how you manage your RPs with people you value the opinion of. If all goes well, maybe there's something you haven't picked up on yet that you could change for better results?

That being said: there will always be flaky people out there, or folks that just don't get your vision. Don't let that discourage you, especially since your idea seems close to your heart! Keep trying, and I wish you luck!

I definitely agree with other folks telling you to give your idea another shot - but perhaps it's also worth performing a bit of a post-mortem on your previous attempts, and figuring out how you can increase your chances of people sticking around. I'm not 100% sure if you're referring to group RPs or 1x1s, but if you want, you could ask for critique on an interest check or run through step-by-step how you manage your RPs with people you value the opinion of. If all goes well, maybe there's something you haven't picked up on yet that you could change for better results?

That being said: there will always be flaky people out there, or folks that just don't get your vision. Don't let that discourage you, especially since your idea seems close to your heart! Keep trying, and I wish you luck!
In which case, I think I'll link the current interest check and see what feedback people can give.

Maybe some day your atom will collides with another person's atom, and it will result in a plotsplosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back