• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Olhan: The Relics of a Forgotten Time || Detailed High-magic/Steampunk Roleplay!

SliceThePi

caked in resin and vile to behold
Edit: Sorry, guys. I've decided that I like this plot so much I'm going to turn it into a book. If you wanna see it as I write, here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QkarssFRrNQ8fl5AApGen9lmZbQhz4v8RxjR4qGXpqk/edit?usp=sharing

Long ago, before the Vanishing, there was a race of people called the Humans. Humans were adepts at magic, both Runic and Elemental, and they were revered by the others for their incredible powers. Their Sorcerers discovered how to perform Polymancy, the ability to draw power from the Four Planes of Magic: water, earth, fire, and air; and their Wizards unlocked the mysteries of Runecrafting. They designed many powerful artifacts that are still functional to this day, and they created the first- and best- automatons, giving life to metal and eliminating the need for a working class. All Humans were able to live intellectual lives of creativity and peace. Automatons made them prosperous, and it seemed that Humans had created a paradise for themselves.

But not all Wizards were satisfied with simply imitating organic life.

There was a group of mages in a small town who called themselves the Authors of Life. At first, they were respected as scientists who wanted to extend the lifespan of the Humans and the others, and their medical feats seemed to border on the impossible. A blind man sighted! A crippled woman lively! A young boy, previously on death's door due to a deadly disease, now walked around and told others about the miracles performed by the Authors. People came from all over to be healed. There was an oddity, however.

None treated by the Authors could ever remember how they were fixed.

For some reason, none dared ask.

How they wished they had.

It was later discovered that people were not cured; they were replaced. When authorities later found them, their corpses were covered in Runic burn marks and there were gaping, ragged holes were their faces should have been. Their brains had been torn out and forced into their new bodies, causing permanent damage to their minds. After a year or so had passed from their so-called "healing," every single treated person went completely, violently mad. Soon after that, if they managed to survive more than a few days of insanity, their bodies began to liquefy, rapidly decomposing and falling apart while the victim was still alive until all that was left to bury was a brain.

The medical tools of the Authors of Life were not blades or stitches or herbs or ointments; they were excruciatingly painful metal brands. They did not cure; they mutilated and imitated. They were not doctors; they were monsters.

And they were never captured.

Eight hundred years after the Authors' crimes; 761 years after the disappearance of the Humans.

| Hayn City Times |
Day 97 of the Third Quarter of Year 761.

THE MYSTERY MUTILATOR STRIKES AGAIN- PHOTOS!

There has been another violent attack by the crea-
ture now known as the Mystery Beast. Reporter
Lessa Bars'ona was found dead in her home last
night with her camera beside her body. She man-
aged to get photos of the creature, which have not
been printed due to their disturbing nature. The
beast was described as... [more on page 3!]

If you're interested in participating, please reply with a character name and description- you'll be a member of one of the six nonhuman races in the Olhan Google doc and optionally have an Elemental magic proficiency from there and/or some kind of (custom) Runic artifact item (for example, there's a staff that creates a shockwave of pressure at the point of impact with a victim). You will all be members of a team of investigators looking into a string of mutilations which turns out to be part of something much larger.

Character format:
Name (try to make it fit your race):
Physical description:
Personality description:
Magic proficiency?:
Runic artifacts?:
Backstory:

And please-oh-please don't make a Mary Sue. And on the flipside, don't make one of those super-edgy emo anime types. Give your character some depth.

And if anyone has experience GMing, I'm fairly new to it, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reserved. Also, guys, if you think there's a way to improve the post (i.e. more detailed instructions) then please suggest them! I'm fairly new to this. Also, if you think of anything I can clarify, please tell me.

Last edited:
Neato! As someone to whom you've shown Olhan before, I really like the direction you're taking it. I personally am not one for super-detailed roleplays, but I'd definitely like to follow along! :D

Neato! As someone to whom you've shown Olhan before, I really like the direction you're taking it. I personally am not one for super-detailed roleplays, but I'd definitely like to follow along! :D
Thanks! :D
Idk where we'll be doing it (i.e. Discord, etc.) but I'll let ya know

2017-03-07_17.12.41.jpg
Name: Hashisar
Race: Shu' dal
Description:
Hashisar grew up as a prodigy, constantly indulging himself in how to become the best in the wind domain of the air plane. As a kid, he'd always practice in hopes of helping others with his magic some day. Now Hashisar is grown up and in the field of being a detective, curious as he's given a much more difficult case than usual along with interesting coworkers. He's a little biased against most races because of how he was raised but aside from that and his occasional temper, he's a fair and mature detective.

Name:Reus
Race:Bruth
Description: Standing at 6'5, Reus is a 60 year old Bruth who has been through many wars, a war hero and a fighter at heart he is wise in battle knowledge and extremely good at battle he left his tribe thinking they were holding him back from truly being free. He left them at a fairly young age because of that he doesn't know much about the Bruth ironically.
He has brown skin, refuses to change it, one of his horns are broken in half from a war, he's got a white beard, his left eye has been scarred making him blind in that eye. He usually wears armored leggings and gauntlets, refuses too wear a shirt or helmet, and because of the years of abuse in wars his skin is a lot thicker then abnormal Bruth's. He is covered in tattoos of his own making, representing no tribes but his own independence, these tattoos actually being his scars and small paintings of the wars he has been through.
He fights with his fists believing that ones most dangerous weapon is his own body. He knows no magic considering he left the Bruth at a young age and none of it rubbed off on him. When in dire situations where he can't close the gap he has a runic pistol that fires compressed air, he found it exploring old Human ruins.
These days he works as an investigator, he doesn't really care about the pay he really just cares if he gets to fight something along the way.

Hey! I'm interested, and here's my character.

Name: Erisun Damassen
Race: Shu'Dal
Appearance: Erisun can pass as any Shu'Dal you can encounter in Hayn, although he's a little taller than the average, measuring about 5'7". He has a light complexion, with sharp violet eyes, almost always covered by his black hair. His horns, growing from just above the scalp, are always under the leather hat that he uses. His choice of attire includes a cotton shirt and pants, usually in mute colors, such as black or brown, a belt that he stores bullets and other essential tools and boots, along with his trusty leather hat.
Background: Erisun is what humans would call a gunslinger. A weapon for hire, he dealt with what the Shu'Dal society shunned, and was often working with the law enforcement, seeking out criminals and bounties. His father was a valient researcher and his mother an architect. Erisun however, when presented with the choice of pursuing either field, instead chose to study armaments and weapons. He studied combat tactics, weapons, and after 2 years, he started to walk the streets as a bounty hunter. His parents didn't like his choice of work, preferring him to be a scholar than a strong arm, but he preferred the adventure and danger rather than a boring desk job.

Last edited:
Gabe Gabe Awesome! Two things: Shu'dal only have either violet or yellow-green eyes, and 5'74" is what you might call too tall haha (I'm assuming you meant 5'4" or 5'7"). Other than that, I really like it!

Gabe Gabe Awesome! Two things: Shu'dal only have either violet or yellow-green eyes, and 5'74" is what you might call too tall haha (I'm assuming you meant 5'4" or 5'7"). Other than that, I really like it!
Yeah, those american measures always bug my mind off. All set now!

Yeah, those american measures always bug my mind off. All set now!
Do you have any artifact weapons? For example, Reus has a pistol that doesn't require gunpowder and can fire non-bullet objects as well as bullets. The way it works is that when the trigger is pulled, gears shift so that a Wind Rune that was half on one gear, half on the other, is completed, and a burst of pressure launches the projectile. If you want that, you may be able to trade with his character for your gun since he doesn't use it that much. Or you could come up with something of your own.

Of course, an artifact weapon is not necessary for your character to have.

Also, if you want, you could have an innate Elemental magic proficiency (see here on the Google doc), though I'd assume since you dedicated so much time to combat tactics/weapons training that you wouldn't be very well-trained in your magic.

I can no longer participate in this rp, I'm really sorry to have to duck out!
Awww, okay :(

Character name: Ryan Donnelly.

Description: Has a burning hatred for the mutilators. More to come...

Am I accepted yet? I don't wanna commit if I know I won't be accepted in the first place. Please send me a PM if I'm accepted, telling me whatever it is I need to know about this RP.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back