• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Old user coming back. I am lost.

Darksoul180

Praiser of Sun
Help is right. I left for almost a year, but I came back every now and then. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this, because overall the dynamic of the site LOOKS better. Though I feel like we have taken a few steps back. What happened to being able to jump between OOC IC and CS all in the same area? Why was that feature taken out? What all happened here? Also, what happened to BBcode? Was that abandoned as well? I mean, HTML is better so I won't argue that to much. Though I and probably countless other spent time learning that BBcode? Also, did the discord server die? I love to see new things, but when upgrading things why do we have to take things out? You don't have to reinvent the wheel and if it wasn't broken why fix it? 

I just want some explanation. This is all coming form me just not liking change. Things changed a lot and I am not super sure why some of these design decisions were made. Hope I am not stepping on any toes saying any of this. Though so far I am not super impressed. It looks like everything was optimized for a mobile app or something. 

Hi there, Darksoul180 and welcome back to RpN!

I can't answer the question about OOC IC and CS, but what has happened is a big update. Many things were added, along with a few things left behind.

Why did RpN update? Because the old system RpN used to run on was outdated, and sooner or later the staff would've had to update it. It might've worked if they hadn't, but RpN might've well broke before they actually made a move on changing things. BBCode is no longer able to work with the current software used for RpN, but HTML, as you said, is nice. 

The Discord server died, yes. I wasn't there personally, but from what I've heard, things happened without staff able to moderate it and it just sort of crumbled. 

One nice thing is, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, they have themes you can choose. It's a small thing, but I just thought you might like to be aware of that small detail. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. ^^

That all seems fair enough. I would just like the RP's to all be linked rather than having to bounce between threads everywhere. That is the main thing that bothers me. Though I will say, the themes are a nice touch. 

HTML is the better system, and I always wondered why it wasn't around before. It seems like there will be a lot of getting used to. The smaller avatars are a nice as well. They were very large before, but they are a bit to small and overall it leaves pages a bit more bland. Though, I am being nit picky and it is all really coming down to my dislike of change. 

Also, if I remember one of the problems with the discord was that the staff could not keep up with what was said in DM's and there was a harassing problem that arose. I remember that bit before I left.

I would just like the RP's to all be linked rather than having to bounce between threads everywhere. That is the main thing that bothers me. Though I will say, the themes are a nice touch. 

It's been a couple of months since the site updated, and my memory is hazy now, but there is still the option to have the Old System roleplay, if you hadn't noticed already. (here) Things are clunky there however, due to the fact that all the threads were unlinked from one another like it used to be. I agree with you, it is annoying to hop around but I found it just takes a bit of time. Hopefully you have a computer/phone that loads fast though. 

HTML is the better system, and I always wondered why it wasn't around before. It seems like there will be a lot of getting used to. The smaller avatars are a nice as well. They were very large before, but they are a bit to small and overall it leaves pages a bit more bland. Though, I am being nit picky and it is all really coming down to my dislike of change. 

Heh, it's alright! I hope you get used to the change soon, it's always nice to see old users coming back. 

Also, if I remember one of the problems with the discord was that the staff could not keep up with what was said in DM's and there was a harassing problem that arose. I remember that bit before I left.

Yeah, I believe that was it. Never got to experience Discord for myself, but it is a shame that it happened. 

Once again though, welcome back to RpN! 

I leave for a year and I feel like an old timer, "It's okay grandpa, the internet isn't scary". Well thankfully for me I know how web design so HTML is super easy for me compared to BBcode, which I always thought was an inferior version. None the less I need to make new templates now. Hopefully they link the threads together again. After going over everything that is really the only thing I can justifiably be upset about. 

250? Haha, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was 500 for some reason. I was able to use it anyway, but I swear that some people on here were saying it was 500.

250? Haha, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was 500 for some reason. I was able to use it anyway, but I swear that some people on here were saying it was 500.

Lol, no problem. I had to double check before replying. For some odd reason, I thought it had been 800 as a post requirement XD.

Okay, I'm confused because I just found a post where people were discussing how they needed 500 to use HTML. Was it changed? 

Okay, I'm confused because I just found a post where people were discussing how they needed 500 to use HTML. Was it changed? 

Huh...

Wait. 

Hosted Projects is what I was looking at.  :/

Crap.

Okay, don't listen to me. It's 2AM where I am, and I haven't gotten a wink of sleep. So sorry for the mess up. ;;>_<) It might be for the HTML, I'm confused now too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back!  ^_^

The old tab system is gone, yes. It was one of the many unsupported, possibly-soon-to-break add-ons we had to leave behind when we switched the site software. We are looking for a replacement that will work with the new software, but in the meantime we're recommending people edit links to the formerly-tabbed threads into the first post of the RP. (OOC, Character Sign-up, and all the rest are still there, they just aren't tabbed anymore.)

I believe it is 500 posts to use HTML and 250 to create a Hosted Project. Once you can use HTML, you'll see a button at the top left of the text box that says "Source." Clicking on that will take you into "HTML mode" (my term for it) to enter and edit the code. Clicking it again will take you back to normal mode so you can see what it looks like.

HOWEVER. Soon(tm) there will be an update that will add a whole lot more buttons and button functionality to allow noncoders to do the same effects without having to learn code. Kind of like we had with the old BBcode, but without the glitches and with a lot more options.

Huh, wait...

I thought-- oop, nevermind, Admin above cleared that up! xD

Yeah, I joined right before the huge changes, and I loved the old layout, too... I hope the next update for HTML comes SOON because MAN, getting just 250 for being able to make a hosted RP Project is TOUGH!! D//x 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back