Other Old rolplays.

RiverRain

I miss a lot of the old rps I was part of. Even the ones that may have been questionable iron silly. Do you guys have old Rps you miss doing? What are they and why?

I miss the first RP I ever participated in. It was, in all honesty, one of the stupidest things I ever wrote and read. The plot was almost nonexistent, the character development was cliché, the situations were ridiculous, and most of all, the grammar was laughable. Though, this is what set up my expectations for the following RPs I would participate in. This RP had players that stayed till the end, people would post often, and discussions were civil. As time went on though, when people would leave or not post often, I would become annoyed to the nth degree. Though, to be fair, if it was like that from the beginning, I wouldn't have stuck with it, and my first would have been my last.
There are two other RPs that I actually thought were good and that I truly loved. One had a Steampunk, Voltron vibe, before the netflix version, and the other was a X-Men (Kind of, sort of, but not really) type. They were RPs that not only I put the best creativity in, but ones where I gave the character my philosophy. Usually, I will write a character "how they are supposed to be written" like, if they had a certain history or the RP required a certain type of character. With these two, I didn't really play me, but their beliefs and the way they think were close to mine (Playing strictly me would be boring.) It was something that I appreciated (maybe even proud of, dare I say) and enjoyed.

So, many many moons ago, when the internet as we know it was in its infancy, there were chat rooms that you could just stumble across. Anyone could jump in.

Some of my favorites were a tavern type setting. People would just make an entrance, just like walking into a bar. If someone's post caught your eye you could interact with them, or sometimes people would just do their own thing the whole time, like sit by the hearth and gaze at the fire.

Just basic etiquette, no rules or turns. It was a Lot of chaos, but entertaining to read. No limits. No main plot. I am sure some independent stories spun off from there, but it was fascinating to watch all of the characters, interactions and stories unfold.

Given the looseness of the guidelines, everyone was incredibly civil and welcoming. I think haters and trolls must have been dealt with pretty swiftly, or they just didn't pop in to begin with.

I have some of the roleplays that I love saved in my google drive in hopes that I might write it out alone and finish it. (hahaha, they've been sitting there for ages)

I do miss how simple roleplaying used to be back in the day where you didn't have to world build and create a plotline to keep the rp on track. Instead you could wing it and mostly just go with the flow of where the story was heading. Neither you or your partner knew how much was going to end, just that you were along for the chaotic ride together.

I miss some of my first roleplays. Not as much the rp themselves, but more the feeling of creating them with rp partner at the time. We're still friends with that person, just don't rp anymore.

Anyway, there was some kind of futuristic rp where we doubled. We didn't even know the term "doubling", but that was it. Each played two characters and we had two couples (not romantic but interacting between themselves).
One of my characters was a crazy scientist that did experiments on humans. And my other character was a nice guy who took care of children in the slums. Those characters were so opposite, it was fun to play them in the same rp. They had different storylines that occasionally converged, but essentially it was like two different rp in one setting.
Was one of the rare cases when I even drew fanart about rp.
The story was probably cheesy, I don't remember it too much, but the worldbuilding we did for that rp was as fun as rp itself.

I wrote an extremely long one with someone right around when I began RPing, I often reminisce about it but the reminder my writing during it was probably terrible makes me enjoy the things I write much more now.

I can only think of one role play I still remember and wish it could of continued. Sadly we only got a few posts into it but it had so much potential to be long, great, and have so many things happen in it like subplots and complicated relationships.

But anyways, what I remember is that the idea we had was a war between vampires and humans and I played as a vampire and my partner was a human solider. It would also have the cheesy plot that the vampire and human would fall in love but from what I remember I think my partner rushed the romantic advances and feelings wayyyyy too quickly and not long after he just drops it and never replies again. It was a shame, I had so many ideas about my vampire being a traitor and even showing off some of my more powerful and scary vampire characters.

Ah there are lot of RPes I love and reminisce about.
A few of them I've thought about rebooting, but I doubt they'd have their charm.

I suppose one I miss the most [or at least it was the first RP to come to mind today] was this medieval fantasy. A prince and princess were set to wed to bring together their kingdoms and they both absolutely despised the idea of getting married. The prince was still hung up about a girl he grew up with that was killed [and he in part blamed himself for her death] and the princess was in love with her personal guard.
They were bitter enemies at first, but then schemed ways to get out of the marriage that would've leave their kingdom in shambles. Of course adding the cliche that they actually start to like one another over time...
It was never finished so they never officially got together or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back