Advice/Help Old D&D player looking to get into online RP

jinglyboi

Been a D&D player for about 3 years now and thought i would check out the online RP scene, as recommended by friends. So I have a few questions. 1. Do I need character sheets or stats at all for RP with combat? 2. What happens if I can't make it to a session? 3. Just some general advice on what is ok to do on this site, because when I play D&D I get into some fucked up shit. That is all, and I thank you for any advice.

First, I'd take a look at the site rules if you want to know what is, or isn't, okay to do here officially.

Character sheets and stats depend on the roleplay you are joining. Most, if not all, roleplays have their own set of rules to follow on top of the site rules. It's common to have regular character sheets without stats that you have to fill out and post in the designated area, usually they'll have a thread for the character sheets linked. This may differ with Dice, arena, or world-building rps. Hopefully someone who is experienced in those types of roleplays will fill you in on those.

"Sessions" aren't always a thing here. If you're looking to join a dice roleplay, that may be different. The level of activity in a roleplay is often determined by the GM before the roleplay starts, but you may have to ask what it is that they are expecting. Some GMs have posting limit rules, or a posting order for the other writers to follow. It helps keep people from being left behind. However, some GMs don't put those types of limits in place.

I'm not sure if this has actually helped, but if not I'll just consider it a bump for your thread.

I'll second the above. Definitely check out the site rules and read any rules an individual roleplay has before submitting a character sheet.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FORYou can not advocate illegal activity in the OOC. Meaning you want to make a roleplay about an adult raping a child on the daily while doing heroine and murdering townspeople go for it. But you can't get into details about the rape ( more on this in a minute ) and you can't advocate your partner doing any of the above things in real life.

You cannot write explicit sexual content. Basically anything directly mentioning genatalia, exchanges of bodily fluids, sexual acts, etc.

If however you want to write about your characters taking off their clothes and going to a bedroom fine. Just no explicit details.

There is also something about gore but I'm not a hundred percent on that.

And to be clear I'm not a member of the Staff so if you are ever unsure about something it's always best to pop a line here Community Hub And ask the Staff directly. Hey is it okay if I do XYZ thing.

HOW ROLEPLAYS WORKNow as to how roleplays work they don't tend to work in real time. Meaning you are rarely going to find a roleplay where there is a set time in which all players must be online and posting for their characters. Those roleplays do exist but they're a pretty small minority.

Most roleplays work more in a post / react model. Meaning Person A makes their post. Person B has anywhere from an hour to a week to make a response.

The time between posts will be indicated by the GM at the start of the roleplay.

GENRES OF ROLEPLAYS
So roleplays here are a bit more like interactive novels. In that they come in a wide variety of genres and cover a multitude of content. Many don't even feature combat at all.

If you want to learn more about the individual genres check them out here - Roleplays.
Click the genre and at the top will be an explanation of what those kinds of roleplays are.

Genre here on this site is determined by setting.

So for instance a Fandom Roleplay is a roleplay that takes place in a setting that is found in a published work. A Fantasy Roleplay takes place in a made up world with possible magical elements. A Realistic Roleplay takes place in a version of our world. It might have magic or superpowers but as long as the geography and such is the same than it's considered realistic.

One x One Roleplay
These are roleplays between two individuals. If your looking to get started in written roleplay you might try 1x1 first. It's a good way to get used to the style without having to worry about holding up a group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back