Tutorial Oh, It's just Magic

floral

Magic Consultant
image0.jpg
Oh, It's just magic​
Your resident magic consultant, Harumi, was arrived.

Basically, I write a lot about magic, different variations of its lore and systems/mechanics, and figured I share my works with the world of RPN. Also if anyone would like some help developing magic for an OC or how magic works in their story/world I would love to give a hand. Just tell me if I'm too much because it happens, unfortunately. I don't really expect much from this thread, but I just browse through new and old rps and see loopholes or loosely structured systems and I just kinda got my idea from that and my inner desire to create magic rps that I can't really manage to create with my life being so busy.

My Inspiration: Honestly, I read way to much. So a lot of ideas come from some research, a story, or some daydream I had instead of doing my school work. My girlfriend also believes and practices forms of magic/witchcraft herself so some of the more witchy based magic comes from her and her research. (so if you have a thing against people practicing witchcraft, I suggest clicking off this thread, cause I write a lot of witchy based systems/magic.)

So yeah, pretty much it. I'm just going to post here randomly about different magical things and offer help to those who want to talk magic or need help developing magic in their story or set limits for their OC. Feel free to give feedback on the things I post or ask me about them, make a request, but anything else I ask to stay to PMs, just to keep clutter minimal.

Basically, I write a lot about magic, different variations of its lore and systems/mechanics, and figured I share my works with the world of RPN. Also if anyone would like some help developing magic for an OC or how magic works in their story/world I would love to give a hand. Just tell me if I'm too much because it happens, unfortunately. I don't really expect much from this thread, but I just browse through new and old rps and see loopholes or loosely structured systems and I just kinda got my idea from that and my inner desire to create magic rps that I can't really manage to create with my life being so busy.

My Inspiration: Honestly, I read way to much. So a lot of ideas come from some research, a story, or some daydream I had instead of doing my school work. My girlfriend also believes and practices forms of magic/witchcraft herself so some of the more witchy based magic comes from her and her research. (so if you have a thing against people practicing witchcraft, I suggest clicking off this thread, cause I write a lot of witchy based systems/magic.)

So yeah, pretty much it. I'm just going to post here randomly about different magical things and offer help to those who want to talk magic or need help developing magic in their story or set limits for their OC. Feel free to give feedback on the things I post or ask me about them, make a request, but anything else I ask to stay to PMs, just to keep clutter minimal

code by RI.a RI.a
[class=header] width: 400px; height: 250px; background-color:#ffffff; background-opacity:60%; font: Heebo; font-size:12px; font-color:#666666; align:justify; padding:10px; margin:auto;center; overflow:auto; border:1px solid #dddddd; [/class]
[div class=header]Directory
-Wielding the 4 basic elements summary
-Fire Basics 101
x

Updates
-Thread Started [09/15/18]
x
x

Coming Soon

-Air Manipulation Basics
-Earth Manipulation Basics
-Water Manipulation Basics
-Breaking elemental rock, paper, scissors
-Teleportation: Overview
-Teleportation: Types & Classification
-Teleportation: World Building
-Merging Technology and Magic
-Merging Medicine and Magic
-feel free to request

Other
Fonts used: Cedarville Cursive, Dr Sugiyama, Marck Script
[/div]

Last edited:
image0.jpg
The 4 Elements: basic summary

Everyone knows the four basic elements, who wouldn't? Earth, Fire, Air, Water are powers/elements found in pretty much every magic RP and story. When you think of elements and their weakness, however, you might picture a square, on element always beating one, but losing to another. This 'square' is not entirely accurate. Sure water is naturally seen as fires greatest enemy, but what if the fire was more trained and powerful? The water could douse and weaken the flames, but it would take more water to end the raging heat and flames. There would be no foreseen winner. no 'oh, it's water against fire, of course, water would win'.

I'll dive into a weakness lesson later on in this thread, instead let's focus on the 4 elements as a whole.

Now one notable and more known reference to someone who could wield all four elements is Avatar the Last Air Bender. (I do believe that's the full title.) For this summary, we will be discarding that. Nothing against it, it has parts in there that covers some things I'll talk about, but for the sake of a clean slate, we are just going to push it to the side. Now, a person who wields all four elements will likely have some kind of inner conflict. Why? Going off most roleplays, a lot of magic wielders are either kids or young adults. Meaning they haven't received proper time or practice to be able to control all four elements inside. Elements fight for dominance, they do not like one being stronger than the other. Meaning, if you use fire more than air, but go to use air suddenly, air is going to be hard to control and flare up/act up. 'Oh elements are just powers, they can't do that jealous fighting.' Wrong. If that's how you want to view it, go ahead. I'm not going to judge you. This is just my experience and discussion with other roleplayers.

Anyway, yes elements are energy inside you. powers. gifts. whatever. That energy is going to fight for the dominance of being used, being released. Hence why air would act up, you hadn't used it in a while, more energy gathered and needed to be released. A great way of solving this problem would be using all 4 regularly or some good ole meditation. Final point: Elements do contradict each other. So even when you hold all four, say you are skilled in water and earth. Air and fire are then going to be harder to learn or control. No matter the amount of practice you put in, those two elements will take longer to master than it's opposites. So while a wielder of the 4 elements is strong, they have a weakness. They are not immortal or unbeatable or OP. They have flaws in their abilities to.

Feel free to disagree, disregard, ignore, give feedback on this OPINION of the subject. I'm not telling you how to make your character, I'm just speaking my view on the subject, and you are free to as well. Hope this helps anyone who needed it or gave you a new outlook on a person who can wield the 4 elements.

image1.jpg
Tacking Pyrokinesis​
Defining Pyrokinesis: Pyrokinesis in the ability to manipulate and create fire through use of the mind.
Breaking it down: Heat Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Magma Manipulation
Symbolism: Temper, Chaos, Strength, Attack, Destruction.

Pyrokinesis I think is the most common power beside plant/earth manipulation. It's chaotic and destructive capabilities tend to make way for some interesting character development as well as some good plotting drama. After some research, I've found that Pyrokinesis can be actually divided into 3 major categories. Heat Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, and Magma Manipulation. Out of the three Magma is the one I rarely see applied. Since we are focusing on Fire, we will leave Heat manipulation out and focus on fire.

Jumping straight to weakness: Fires #1 enemy is obviously water. No doubt in my mind. Yes, I've said before it can be possible to out power it's enemy, but it wouldn't be easy. A good comparison would be a match and a medium/average water gun. Pushing aside accuracy factor, the match has less energy and the water has more, therefore overpowering the match. Now imagine a good-sized campfire and that same water gun. The fire wielder has more energy or is more trained, and can last longer making the water gun/water wielder waste more energy. A bonfire against that water good? ppft. Sorry water wielder, but you lost. Fire can be weak to rock manipulators, and can be equal to air manipulators. Strong against plant manipulators.

Fire is a chaotic and destructive element, but if creative enough, it can be used to heal as well. Fire is my second-favorite element, because very few people will apply a 'better' side to the power. Fire can heal and defend just as well as the other elements. Magma can destroy, yet rebuild. Heat can be a life saver in a life or death situation. Fire can seal a wound. Don't be afraid to give the destructive element a good purpose.

A good pairing or way to tie this element to a OC is to make them stubborn or spontaneous. Have red eyes or hair. Skin even. Give them a story behind their power to make it more a part of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back