• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Of Darkness and Light(Vampire roleplay)

WildHairedOne

The pessimistic optimist
The sky was dreary and grey this day. A light cool mist gently fell on the run down tavern, the old damp wood filling the air with a mildew smell. The soft flickering glow of lanterns dimly illuminated the inside, almost making it seem quite welcoming. She stepped closer to the entrance and could make out the sounds of drunken words from the patrons inside. She knew she would have to keep her composure, but tightly gripped the worn leather bound bible close to her side. There were reports of violent murders and attacks in this town. The victims were said to be drained of their blood, their necks ripped to shreds or completely mauled. The work of vampires. The wretched creatures seemed to be growing in numbers and at the worst possible time.

The year was 1791 a year after the French Revolution and time of the European Enlightenment. The so called "Scientific Revolution" was also happening and people who called themselves philosophers and scientists were besmirching the Catholic church. Many were following these ideas and with the recent number of vampire attacks, the faith in the church was waning. The revolution brought with it the destruction of many monasteries and the deaths of many priests. The common people were starving, the aristocrats were being hunted and slain. These were dreadful times and the strong reemergence of these ancient unholy beasts only made things more difficult.

Taking a small breath in and quickly giving the glass beads of the rosary around her neck a few rubs, she slowly opened the door of the tavern and stepped inside. Her jade green eyes scanned the large room of haggard looking men. Their faces were red with the cheap liquors of the bar. A couple were having a joyous time as the slurred out a song, some were too drunk to keep their eyes open, a small group were further to the back playing cards and making bets. The whole place reeked of sin, but she knew this was a good place to get more information about the attacks. She slowly made her way to one of the bar seats, avoiding one stumbling man, that was nothing more than a barely standing wooden stool. She took a seat only to feel the stool wobble and quickly steadied herself. She placed her bible on the bar and saw that the bar tender was busy chatting up what seemed to be a regular customer.

She began to rub her rosary beads once more as she waited. Her eyes caught a strand of her pale white hair was sticking out of her coif. As she tucked it back in she couldn't help but think of how her once mahogany locks ended up that way. It was eight years ago. She was only seventeen at the time and only a lay sister, tasked with taking care of the monastery. She had been raised by the church since being orphaned as an infant and religion was all she knew. Though she was devout and pledged herself completely to God, there was a time when she questioned her faith and willpower. All it took was a handsome aristocrat. In the village she had lived at the time the people were set in their faith. None of these new age "philosophical" ideas were about to poison the minds of the people. There was a rich family that was very involved in the church. The constantly gave donations and often asked for private services, but also helped out around the small village. They were very different from most of the upper class. Their youngest son would always come to the monastery to pray or learn more about the church. They would often run into each other and eventually began to form a friendship. Their conversations would often drift from the church to more personal topics. They shared many laughs and spent many hours in the fields or strolling about the market place. Things were more innocent then, before that horribly night.

Her fingers wrapped around the dark violet beads of her rosary as her mind drifted to the event. The night seemed normal as usual. She was getting some last minute cleaning done, the full moon and the numerous candles supplying her with light. She remembered the young aristocrat surprising her by sneaking in. Of course the cleaning was tossed aside as they began to speak. Then things began to grow a bit more intimate before the nightmarish screams began. She could hear doors being broken down and glass shattering. The voices of numerous horrified sisters filled the monastery as they begged and prayed. Soon the smell of blood grew heavy in the air. The young man quickly made her get down and hide among the pews as the sounds of heavy footsteps grew closer to the doors. The simple wood doors soon splintered apart as a large monstrous creature crept in. It easily towered over the aristocrat and snarled, it's long sharp teeth dripping with fresh blood and saliva. It's skin was grey and leathery with wings that protruded from it's back proudly. It's eyes were pitch black like voids in it's skull. As soon as it spotted the young man it lunged and slashed at him with long razor sharp claws. The thick red liquid began to seep from the aristocrat's neck and soon he fell. His gagging and gurgling still rang clear in her ears as she watched him so desperately trying to breathe, trying to live. Despite the creature before him, she ran out from her hiding spot to hold her dear friend. Her body trembled violently as she took him in her arms and her cheeks grew wet with salty tears. His wounds were deep and the blood continued to flow heavily. She soon felt him go limp. Her eyes soon locked onto the creature before her, a true demon itself. It stared at her and she felt herself getting pulled in by the black voids, but she gently put the still warm body of her friend down and began to pray. She could feel the heavy thuds of the creature's footsteps as they grew closer to her. Her head stayed down, her eyes shut tight and her hands locked together as she frantically whispered any and every verse that came to her mind. She felt the sharp claw of the beast on her neck and she froze with a gasp. The claw made it's way up her neck and under her chin, lifting her head to face the creature. As she opened her eyes her lips trembled with fear as she gazed into it's endless eyes. The fanged mouth of the demon opened and uttered in a deep gnarled voice it spoke, "Your God is not here this night." The voice made her heart race and her soul shake, her hair drained of color. She felt herself fall back and was consumed by silence and nothingness.

It wasn't until she awoke suddenly that she screamed and cried with everything she had. Somehow she had made it out of the monastery and found herself in the company of Father Adonias in a small dilapidated cottage. He wasn't one of the regular priests. He was visiting from another church and had arrived earlier that week. He was an older man in his early fifties at the time with short grey hair that had clearly been messed up in the commotion. He wore dark tinted glasses as his vision was sensitive to light. He was dirty and his robes had some tears, but he seemed to have made it out of the village mostly unscathed. After being settled down he explained that her monastery had been attacked by vampires. They were the only ones to survive. Since then she took a vow to fight the unholy beasts and they travel across the country to wherever there was need of assistance.

She let go of her rosary as her mind came back to the present. She looked over to the bartender and gave a small sigh as she saw him talking to another patron. With small annoyance, she opened her bible to read a few scriptures as she waited to ask him questions.

(I know I wrote quite a bit. If you're interested you dont have to match it! Just a paragraph or two is fine!)

Of course! They usually look human, but can change to a more gruesome appearance. The more powerful they are the more monstrous they can look. Like Vampire Lords from skyrim kinda. Sorry I should've written all this out. Like I said it's been a long time since I rp'ed.

Sure! I’m thinking one was turned against his will, managed to escape, and is trying to take down the others. But, obviously, he can’t teveal himself or anyone he gets to help him will want to kill him too.

Oooh I like it! As I said I tend to like my rps to just go with the flow of things and see where it takes us! It's more fun that way!

Farator sighs, shaking his head as the bartender offers him food. “No thank you.” He says softly. He wishes so badly that he could eat it, but he doesn’t feel like spending the rest of the night vomiting.

He looks up, seeing an obviously religious woman enter the bar. Well that’s interesting… maybe he can get some help from her. She sits not far from him, and he waits to see what she will do. If she asks about the vampire issue, he will be happy to offer his assistance.

The bartender scoffs at him, showing clear annoyance in his refusal to spend money. "Well just don't take up space for long. I'd like to have that seat for paying customers," the bartender huffs at him before making his way over to the woman in robes. He folds his arms and gives a rough greeting to her, "Ha, it's odd to see a sister in here. Come to drink away your faith?" A small, almost pleased smile crosses his face at his own humor.

The nun's face simply gives no reaction before she speaks in a soft, but stern tone, "I am not here to indulge in this gluttonous consumption of sin. I am only here to ask questions. Being that you tend a bar I assume you must here all kinds of things correct?" The portly bartender immediately loses his smirk from her tone and gives a nod, "Of course, Sister. How may I help?" Moriah wraps a few fingers around d her rosary and begins to fiddle with them as she leans in closer to the bartender, "I'm here to ask about the recent Vampire attacks. It seems this once quiet sleepy town now has an epidemic on their hands. Five attacks in six months is awfully serious. It seems the Devil is in town and I will happily give my services."

Farator smiles slightly, listening to the sister speak. The devil… no. The devil makes deals, these creatures have no need to. They’re far worse than any devil. But he won’t get into a religious debate with her.

He sips his beer, sighing softly. Still feels good, even if the poison hardly affects him anymore. But the feeling of warmth is enough. He’s still getting used to the cold of this body.

“Seven.” He says softly. He looks over at her. “Six bodies. One house showed all the signs of a vampire attack, but the body was never found.” He clarifies.

She turns her head to look at the stranger before her expression turns to one of concern, "I was hoping that we would make it here before more attacks happened. It seems we were too late to save those souls." Her fingers grip the purple glass beads around her neck tighter as a sigh escapes her, "How recent were the attacks?" The bartender gives a small shrug and a small scratch of his unkempt beard, "I'd say about a week or two ago. The fella is right though. One body was never found. Now, Sister, I don't believe mere prayers can help us now. The town is in a hysteria. Loved ones digging up the graves of those passed and taking all these measurements to keep them there. People being accused left and right."

Moriah shakes her head,"No, mere prayers will not work. That is why I am here to kill them all. To wipe them out permanently and to bring back peace and faith to this land." Her eyes turn back to the stranger,"You seem to be more helpful. Is there anything else you may know about these attacks?"

Farator nods. “Clumsy. Blood gets thrown around everywhere. Sure, feeding is part of the motivation, but if it’s the only one, they’re very inefficient. My guess would be either they do this for fun, or they’re young. Inexperienced. Possibly both.” He does seem to know quite a lot of what he’s talking about.

“The one case of this I’ve seen before, is when a vampire created a fledgeling, and then was killed, leaving the other one to learn to hunt on her own. Again, clumsy, gory, and poorly disguised.”

She gives a small smile at him and nods,"You sure seem to know your information, sir. If we are dealing with a fledgling or a small group of them this can be dangerous. Though it can be easy to take them out. They tend to not think clearly and make easy mistakes in combat. This is still a dangerous matter none the less. A small group could wipe out a whole town if they decided to turn more people."

Sister Moriah stands up from the stool and puts down a small handcrafted wooden cross on the bar. Her eyes turn to the bartender, "I suggest you hang this somewhere. It may be small, but with the power of God it's mightier than any blade can be." The bartender picks it up and shrugs before simply tossing it on a shelf behind him,"I'm sure we can survive, Sister." She only shakes her head before speaking to the stranger once more, "Have you been to the site of the latest attack? If so, would you mind showing me. I would like to gather more information."

Farator nods, getting up, and leading the way outside. Once they’re out of earshot, he turns to her, looking concerned. “If I may make a suggestion, sister.” He says softly. “Advertising that you kill vampires, or even that you are a religious person, is an excellent way to be killed in your sleep.” He is blunt, but he does seem genuinely worried for her safety.

“Some of the vampires I’ve encountered fear god. But when it comes down to it, an entire clergy can be slaughtered by a single harmless looking refugee.” He turns, and keeps walking, leading her to a house. “Pantry. Poor fool got cornered in there.”

A small "hmph" escapes her as she follows him to the latest murder scene. She can hear the genuine worry in his voice but she retorts anyway, "Though it may not be best to speak of my work I know the risks, stranger. I have taken a vow. I have given my life for this and I know death is most likely certain. I am still here, though, and I plan to continue to protect all who needs it in these dire times. I...do thank you for the concern."

Her head gives a single somber nod, "I know. I've experienced it before." Once to the house she puts her hand over her mouth and nose after smelling the thick scent of old blood,"The pantry you say?" She steps inside and examines the scene. Blood was soaked and dried into the floorboards and the walls. The furniture and other numerous objects were scattered about. It seems like things were left as they were. She walks over to the pantry and could see the old pool of blood. "The body that is missing. Was it someone of importance or just someone with unfortunate luck? Has anyone checked the surrounding Woodlands for any sign of remains? It's possible they could've turned the victim to add to their group."

Farator shakes his head. “A young woman. Beautiful, but not rich or influential. I tried to find them, but I couldn’t track the vampire far. If I had to guess, someone got lonely. Vampires always do have interesting ways of starting a family.” He says simply, glancing around. “Come to think it, this poor fellow was probably trying to get to the garlic.”

He leans back against the door. “Do you need a place to stay, sister? I have a pair of guard dogs. They protect me if I have to sleep during the night.” He says, effectively offering his home to her.

Moriah let's out a tiny sigh, " She continues to examine the site,"Poor girl. If I had came into town earlier and with a fresh trail then maybe I could find her. Being that a couple weeks have passed the chances seem pretty slim that she's still alive or at least herself. Still an old trail is still a trail. Maybe I could possibly find where they have been hiding. It has to be close." Her eyes wander to the pantry once more and could indeed see blood on the garlic string. She let out a sad chuckle, "Oh the old superstitions. Even if he managed to grab a whole head of garlic the result would be the same. Garlic smells just as bad to vampire as it does to us, but other than that it does nothing."

Hearing his offer she gently shakes her head as she picks up what looks to be part of a torn woman's garment, "As kind as your offer is I must decline. You have been very generous in helping me, but I cannot trust you. As you said before there are people looking to do me harm. With faith waning in the church I guess I cannot blame them, ignorance and all. I can only pray that people see the importance faith can have. I'm not going to be sleeping tonight anyway. With the amount of time that has passed I would say another attack is due. Atleast I'm here this time."

She tucks the bit of bloody clothing in her robes before heading outside. She takes a small breath of fresh, misty air as she studies the woods beyond them, "I should be heading back to Father Adonias and let him know what I've found. If you may have anything else that could be of use to me, let me know. I will be in town until this scourge is stopped. Thank you again, um, oh my we have not done proper introductions." She sticks out her hand to him, " I am Sister Moriah."

Last edited:
Farator smiles sadly. “Very well. But my offer stands.” He says simply. “I should warn you, some can walk in daylight. It is painful, and weakens them, but they are still dangerous. Mind where you sleep.” He takes her hand. “I am Farator Black. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He says with a smile. “It’s good to have someone else here willing to fight them.”

She notices the cold touch of his hand, then again it was winter and that biting chill was in the air. After letting go of his hand she smiles once more at him, "Well, Mr. Black, I will be sure to keep my wits about me. I know Daywalkers are not to common, but that makes them all the more dangerous."

Her gaze lingers on him just long enough to show the distance sadness in them. "Well then. I thank you for your help and concern once more. It is always nice to have some help. Keep the faith in you, Mr. Black." She turns away from him and begins to make her way into the dense trees.

He smiles back at her sadly. “I will do my best.” He says, before turning to walk toward his home. God has no love for a monster like him. The best Farator can hope for is to reach purgatory, rather than hell.

He goes back to his home, his dogs coming out to greet him, curious about the new scent he carries. They sniff his hand curiously, as he goes to get them their food for today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back