Occult Charm

The Mad hatter

somthing i had been wondering, why is it the Eclipse and Moonshadow Cast can learn the charms of other beings but not other exalts? it would seem to me that the Occult minded Exalts would be curious about learning the charms of other beings... so thinking about this i came up with a idea

A charm in the Occult tree with Terrestial Circle sorcery as a pre-resq (or shadow lands circle necromancy), that apon learning allows a exalt to learn certin other charms simlar to the way eclipse do, each exalt type would be limited in what they could learn however...

Dragon-Blooded can only learn Elemental Agiase powers (no sprit charms though)

Lunars can only learn Fair Foke Charms

Sidreals can only lean Sprit Charms

Solars can learn the charms of Sprits and the Elemental Agiase Powers

Abyssals can only learn Arconi

What do you think? good idea? bad Idea? also ideas on minium essence to learn the base charm?

Why not?  In the Lunar book, it goes into pretty good detail how the LUnars went into the Wyld to escape the Sidereals tweaking the Loom of Fate against them.  Existing in the Wyld for so long and rubbing shoulders with the Fae, I can understand them learning their Charms.  It would be one of the best ways to 'know thy enemy'.  The Sidereals working in the Celestial Breaucracy along side the spirits and gods would have ample chances to see what the spirit charms can do and pick and choose the best to pass on to their buddies.

Only one small problem, lunars in 1e could learn fair folk charms much like eclipses can learn non-solar charms.

I can't recall if this was added in the 2e book or not. But if the rule still exists in 2e, it should pop up in the fair folk book.

I think the idea for the charm seems fine. It would make good sense to have charms that mimic the anima powers of the different castes.

I have a question, though. I've heard a lot of talk about the supposed awesome-ness of the Eclipse caste ability to learn the charms of other magical beings, but how many of you have actually enjoyed the in-game benefits of having used this ability? Have you played an Eclipse, who learned the charms of others? Was it worth it?

I know the potential is there, but I can't help but wonder if it's worth the extra xp.

If you're going by 2nd ed. the Sidereal 4th excellency (do I need to say more?), the spirit charms to boost essence pools, as well as principal of motion.

Also, if you go over the charms available in 1e, the eclipses do have some nice effects available to them. But it depends on how well you are at finding a teacher for said charms.

The trick to the Eclipse anima power is looking for charms that were very cheap for their effect and were at the bottom of cascades.

Easily the best example is the Sidereal charm 'World Shaping Artistic Vision', a permanent boost to all dicerolls with no prereqs, once you've delt with the restrictions it lays out.

A couple of the mountain folk charms are pretty nifty too - There's one that increases your Dex by one permanently, which even at doubled xp cost is going to cost less xp than actually buying a 5th dot of Dex, and can be used for a 6th dot. On top of this it has some other minor effects. All the Alchemical Sustained Augmentation charms do the same thing for Attribute boosts.

If you go by 1e, The fair folk charm "Surpassing Excellence" is downright deadly useful, giving you additional specialties that don't count towards your specialty limit, with 2 specialty per mutation point.

Along with "Glorious Hero Form", which for 2 mutation points allows you to boost your attributes.

Of course, it's a good thing that non-fey can't convert fairfolk charms into mutations like fairfolk can.

Depending on the charms selected, ya Eclipses could do a amazing job with others charms, Fair Merchents way or Essence Mesuring Theif Arts arconi had powers to let you steal essence from others, Mix with Principle of Motion for saved Extra achions, and you could weaken a group of essence using foes, and make yourself in top shape in one nastly assult

Fruan said:
All the Alchemical Sustained Augmentation charms do the same thing for Attribute boosts.
... not having read Alchemicals in a *very* long time, and even then only glancing through it, aren't the Alchemical Charms pretty different in that they require some form of physical installation into the Exalt in question?

Solfi said:
aren't the Alchemical Charms pretty different in that they require some form of physical installation into the Exalt in question?
Yes, but that's pretty inconsequential. Instead of spending time training to use a Charm, they spend the same amount of time getting it installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back