• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic No Paradise For Gods

Sovereign

We Glorious Fallen

garden_city_by_darkhikarii-d6sthei.jpg

No Paradise For Gods

Atlantis, the city that defied the heavens --though this time, not a myth or legend. In the year 2035 a board of scientists and scholars from all fields held a summit for the intellectual world. The focus for this meeting of the minds? Announcement of a new project --a project named Atlantis. This venture entailed the construction of a massive floating city in the Atlantic ocean where scientific restriction would become a thing of the past, a place governed solely by ethics and knowledge. At the forefront of the project sat a man named Richard Corinth, funding the research for Atlantis almost completely out of pocket. Applications for residency in the city started pouring in before the first blueprints even reached the drawing phase. A real city of tomorrow, who could resist?

Atlantis achieved completion in 2070 and the grand opening saw the arrival of hundreds of thousands of new residents. Beautiful, never before seen architecture wowed the crowds, and science advancements the likes of which pushed the very bounds of possibility could be witnessed at every turn. Mag-lev rings, platforms, and other structures maximized the use of vertical space and made the densely packed city feel spacious, lush, and thriving. But all still was not well in the new paradise. Richard Corinth --now city Chairman-- still battled with United States government regulation. He fought tooth and nail to push the limits of scientific safeguard, but ultimately the government managed to keep the city of wonder on a tight leash.

Then came war. Resource shortages and economic strain plagued the world outside of Atlantis, and finally it hit its breaking point. The European Union invaded Russia, intent on tilling its soil for the vast undiscovered fields of oil and fossil fuel. Much to the world's surprise, the United States supported the Russian Federation. For ten years war ravaged the Earth. The EU defeated Russia, and set its sights on China. The United States backed China like it did Russia, and simultaneously fought a war at home against Canada which sided with the EU. With help from Mexico and Australia, the United States defeated Canada and brought its full weight to bear on beating back the EU in China. By the time the fighting ended, the US reestablished Russia and divided Canada up for Australia, China, Mexico, and kept Alaska for itself. The world lay drained economically and militarily. The EU descended into squabbling over what remaining resources they had, and many of the still wealthy moved their enterprises to Africa to salvage their corporate lifestyle.

During all of the turmoil, Atlantis declared independence. Without the resources to reign in the rogue state, the world just sat and watched as the ocean paradise became the next generation of superpower. Military technology skyrocketed and money from exported technology --now unregulated by the US-- poured in. The city expanded and refugees from the war began to pour in. This sudden gap in wealth effectively saw to the end of Atlantean equality. Cheap districts were tacked onto the ever-expanding fringes of the city, places the poor could afford. The Span as it became known as suffered what all poverty-stricken areas did: gang violence, mafia extortion, drugs, unrest. A completely capitalism driven society would not support the poor refugees, and the resentment between the upper class and the refugees grew.

The year is now 2087, and a new problem has come to the city of Atlantis: mutation. Some individuals have begun to change, many developing unique or bizarre powers that separate them from the rest. Dangerous and afraid, these individuals are now the subject of a massive manhunt by the Atlantean Security Forces. Some of the empowered fight back against their hunters, some use their powers for revenge against the upper class. Others yet use them to better Atlantis or even hunt down other mutants. To make matters worse, the situation in The Span has finally come to a head. Unable to police the city, hunt the mutants,
and suppress the revolts and riots in The Span, Atlantis hired a private military company, Ultan Special Contracts, to bring order to the chaos. in The Span. To make matters worse, a high profile mutant terrorist known only as "The Parasite" has been causing havoc all across the city.

You are a mutant, the future of Atlantis is in your hands.

Factions

Atlantean Security Forces (ASF)

aftermath_by_jecbrush-d4g8rox.jpg

The ASF is not to be confused with the Atlantean Police Department. The ASF is the militarized branch of Atlantean law enforcement, they are the soldiers and SWAT teams. ASF is in charge of rounding up all mutants and hunting down The Parasite. Whenever any gang actions need to be broken up and the APD cannot handle it, the ASF responds to the call. They are heavily armored and extremely well armed. For all that, they do not lack in numbers as funding and available bodies have not been in short supply. Many refugees apply to be ASF to get out of the slums, and often it warps their sense of power. The once proud and honorable ASF has been poisoned by a hatred for the gangs --which often extends to the impoverished as a whole-- and the suspicion that all mutants are terrorists. A few exceptions of course, being the mutants working for them. Rumor: A fair number of ASF officers are actually mutants themselves.

Ultan Special Contracts

heavy_infantry_manticore_by_alexpascenko-d726a84.jpg

Ironically, the USC cares more for the well-being of the impoverished than the Atlanteans themselves do. Through great personal risk the USC works to cut the criminal underworld out of The Span with a knife, and losses have already been heavy. The highly militarized crime Syndicates are organized, well-funded, and armed with Atlantean weapons technology. What the USC lacks in superior firepower however, they make up for with elite troops and superior training. many of them are veterans of the most recent world war, disillusioned with the countries they served. The USC is not without fault however, they too are paranoid and slow to trust. Unfortunately, with Atlantis signing the paychecks, they are forced to cooperate. Conflicting reports on the terrorist known as The Parasite however have seen their loyalty wavering. Rumor: (1) Atlantis intends to wipe out the USC once they finish their job in order to keep their secrets and turmoil from reaching too far outside their borders. (2)The Parasite has secretly been supporting the USC forces in The Span for unknown reasons.

LeCroix Syndicate

bullet_in_my_hands_by_foton_3-d6mvil4.jpg

Little of the crime in The Span (or Atlantis at all for that matter) cannot be traced back to the LeCroix Syndicate or it's subsidiary gangs and families. Wayne LeCroix runs a large corporation in the heart of the city, but he controls The Span though drugs, weapon trafficking, and rackets. Despite the turmoil in the poor districts, LeCroix's goons keep it surprisingly well contained. Maybe not in the way the ASF wants it to be, but certainly far better than it would be otherwise. LeCroix wages war against the USC as they cut into his business and take down his subsidiaries. Well-funded and well-armed, the Armie LeCroix holds its ground in most knock-down drag-out fights. Its biggest enemy however, is The Parasite. None of LeCroix's assets are safe --both corporate and criminal suffer at the hands of the terrorist. The Syndicate is largely responsible for the media coverage of The Parasite and his depiction as a terrorist. Rumor: (1)The Syndicate is personally backed by Richard Corinth. (2) The Syndicate is also recruiting mutants to root out The Parasite, possibly kidnapping them too.

The Parasite

d31fc399c14e1bce3c785274b2485708.jpg

After the war, the United States looked to replenish it's military capacity. A lack of manpower made this a difficult task, but not an impossible one. The TALON project created superior soldiers with the best tech money could buy (with a little help from defected Atlantean scientists). Augmented and armed with superior tech and training, the US deployed a single TALON unit to Atlantis in order to keep tabs. This lone soldier --for the purpose of deniability-- was never kept on the record. A defector from the US to Atlantis sold the soldiers out and assassins systematically picked off the listed soldiers; all except one were killed and the TALON project was disavowed shortly thereafter, leaving Captain Argo Reese stranded without support. Donning the moniker "The Parasite", Argo took matters into his own hands. Working to take down the LeCroix Syndicate and expose the corruption of Atlantis, The Parasite stands alone against insurmountable foes; the mutations just make it that much easier. Eventually he hopes to gather enough support to take the Syndicate down. Rumor: Utilizes multiple identities to infiltrate both ASF and USC.

General

Level: Detailed

Writing Expectation: 2-6 Paragraphs

Genre: Science Fiction

Secondary Genre: Action/Adventure/Conspiracy

CS Type: Role-Audition (Best CS receives role)

Tone: Dual-nature, tarnished utopia

Player Autonomy: Medium; GM controlled objectives

Prerequisites: Dedication, solid use of proper grammar

Scale: 5-10 Players

Themes

Science: The virtue of ethics versus advancement; how far is too far?

Mortality: What makes us human? What makes us monsters?

Morality: Good of the few versus good of the many; survival of the fittest? Responsibility to humanity.

Roles

Note: Not all roles need to be filled.

Atlantean Security Forces Mid-Rank Officer

Atlantean Security Forces Squad leader

Ultan Special Contracts Commander

Ultan Special Contracts Medic

LeCroix Syndicate Defector

Mutant of The Span

Mutant of Inner District

Open Role

Open Role

Open Role

----------

Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns. With enough interest I will create the RP and post the CS template.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very interested! Wanted to reply so I can keep this idea in my sights. Be sure to tag me when you have the actual roleplay up and running! (^.^)

This seems really well developed. I'm interested, but I think I'll just want to watch for a bit to get an idea of how this RP will work before joining.

Not my thing, but I'd like to point out how very well thought out this looks. I daresay a player could have a blast with this.

A nicely thought out premise. It reminds me of own Spirit of the Century game set on archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean. If you were considering using a dice system, I'd be interested.

I do not intend on using a dice system unfortunately, but I appreciate your interest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt I'd have the time to join this myself, but I'll commend you on a few points. The neutral font and simple, sleek contrasts in your presentation of the information are both pleasing to the eye and accurately portray the modern-futuristic nature of your roleplay; its a good use of design to immediately attract attention at first glance. Moreover, I highly appreciate the in-depth perspectives you've provided into the primary factions on their motivations and personal traits that set them apart from others. They each have a fairly unique identity, but I particularly enjoyed the different take on contract workers in the USC.

In these types of stories, mercenaries are often portrayed as cold, money-grabbing antagonists for the "heroes." Adding that additional layer of morality and struggle against the difficult nature of their work (perhaps both physically and mentally), makes them more than just a name. They become humanized and relatable, leaving a prospective player to consider them from a lens that sees more than just black and white. My criticism is undoubtedly biased and would possibly be against your intended storyline, but if I would change anything it would be that the same level of humanism doesn't feel applied as much to the other factions as it is the USC. Personally this setting strikes me as having deliberately gray distinctions for the different factions, and although the rest don't necessarily have to be "moral" in the same way the USC is, creating a heavily relatable theme for each one leads to a tougher choice on a player's part; returning to the gray distinctions, it would become less of a choice between good and evil but rather a choice in what a player believes and prioritizes.

On a final note, while I don't have much insight into your exact intentions on the progression of storyline and roleplay administration, I admire the clear ideas you've expressed in this interest check. Most, including myself, forget or don't bother to firmly and clearly state exactly the type of story being created and its overarching theme all around. I respect that, and the initial transparency allows prospective applicants to know exactly what they're getting into. In any case, I can deduce that you likely have an idea on the structure of your plot, if the list of roles means anything. In my book giving the GM a certain amount of control in direction and guiding player actions is vital to sustained longevity and quality, especially in a roleplay like this, where multiple factions are included in a relatively large player group.

Overall, good job. I rarely see an interest check that genuinely...well, interests me xD

Lexielai

Thank you all for your interest, and thank you especially Lexielai for your review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color me interested. Your criteria is a bit on the demanding side but it forces players to put their best foot forward And I could definitely use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back