Nintendo Switch Livestream. Thoughts?

Truthblade

I am the truth. Deal with it.
So, we had a few switch games revealed today. What do you think.

I am particularly excited for Dragon Quest Heroes and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Seriously considering scraping together the cash for it, I don't have a Wii U so I need something to play BotW on.

Mario sounds good as usual. Hyrule Warriors is fairly good so I'll keep an eye on Fire Emblem.

Nintendo has already said they're going to keep the 3DS around.

Third Party Devs will want to make more games for this thing though if it succeeds. Its not about Nintendo pulling the plug, its the switch cannibalizing the 3ds market. Which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.

Was working when the presentation started. Immediately got off my shift and ran over to the Gamestop next door and stood in the cold for three hours.

System number three of twenty five. Preorder fully paid off. I'm pretty hype.

Some thoughts I wrote as I watched the event.

Miscellaneous

• I really like the guy presenting the transitions. He has a kind of unique quirkiness similar to what Iwata displayed.

Hardware

• Launch date is earlier than I thought it'd be.
  • $300 USD was my hard limit. So it's acceptable. Needless to say now since I preordered.
  • Paid online kind of sucks to be honest. The increase in PS+ price actually led to me selling my PS4 so I hope it's reasonable. On the upside the fact that they're trying to sell it at all will hopefully motivate them to actually make a good online infrastructure this time.
  • Region free is expected after all the leaks, but great.
  • Joycons are still neat. Two controllers out of the box is great.
  • Eight Switch systems in local multiplayer X four players each = 32 player local? I can see some nutty stuff being possible.
  • I hope the video capture feature of the share button is actually adequate. I'd love to upload some matches from Smash.
  • I really want to experience this "HD rumble" they're showing.

1-2-Switch

• Seems like a great game for couples.
  • Okay yeah I love this. Stare down your opponent. The mindgame potential.

ARMS

• I love the art style.
  • Reminds me of Wii Boxing. I'm down for that.
  • YEAH ONLINE BATTLES

Splatoon 2

• That logo is great.
  • The guy talking about this game is having so much fun with it, haha.
  • Not day of Switch release is disappointing, but I guess it's understandable since it's a sequel and not a port.
  • I love that the Inklings became so popular so fast.

Super Mario Odyssey

• Looks great, aside from the NYC level. Mario running around normal looking humans is giving me PTSD flashbacks to Sonic 2006.
  • Everything is so colorful and fun. <3
  • HAVE BOWSER WEAR THAT OUTFIT FOREVER FROM NOW ON.
  • Hat gimmick is...a thing. Guess I need to see more of it.
  • Level design looks downright amazing at points.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• As someone who played, completed, and thoroughly enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles X I am happy that this title appears to be much more focused on delivering a stronger narrative.
  • Not sure if I care for the new character designs. I mean, they're okay, but they look like something from a "Tales of" entry rather than Xenoblade. I'm guessing the new character designer is the same guy?
  • I hope this one comes out at a better pace. XCX was announced shortly after Wii U's release and finally came out as the console was almost dead.

Fire Emblem Warriors

• Cool I guess. Hyrule Warriors was fantastic. I just don't much care for FE beyond my time spent playing Awakening. This announcement isn't for me.

So Much Dragon Quest

• I'm really glad the Switch is region free.

Shin Megami Tensei

• Wish there was more to show. I love Atlus, so I'll definitely be purchasing this.

Project Octopath Traveler

• Oh man this is so retro looking in a really weird way. I love it.

Skyrim

• Still Skyrim. I won't be playing it on anything but PC. Glad there's a portable version now at least.

No More Heroes

• Travis returns. Wasn't expecting this at all. These games are always so funky, so I'm looking forward to seeing more.
  • Boy is Suda51's translator doing a crap job.

EA

Games Reel Notes

• Rayman Legends is still great.
  • Dragonball Xenoverse 2. Played the first, really enjoyed it. May get this on Switch.
  • Disgaea 5. Ecstatic to see a portable version of this now.
  • New HD version of Street Fighter 2 with new modes and characters. This is nuts.
  • YEAH SUPER BOMBERMAN R LOOKS SO GOOD AND-oh. Oh. Konami. Half-jokes aside, this looks great. I hope that company doesn't ruin it like they do with absolutely everything they touch.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris is going to be a ton of fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Preordered with the console. Happy they were able to do that day one release.
  • Didn't watch the trailer. Going into this as blind as possible.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

• BUT IT WAS ME, INKLING
  • Really glad to see this is releasing so shortly after launch. Looks to have quite a bit of new content to boot. Day one for me.

My current interest list as of now.

* = No PC version or Switch exclusive.

Bold = Launch.

- ARMS*

- Disgaea 5 Complete*

- Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2

- Fast RMX*

- Fire Emblem Warriors*

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*

- LEGO® CITY Undercover

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*

- Project Sonic 2017

- Puyo Puyo Tetris*

- Rayman Legends Definitive Edition*(?)

- Shin Megami Tensei*

- Sonic Mania

- Splatoon 2*

- Super Bomberman R*

- Super Mario Odyssey*

- Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers*

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2*

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of skipped the Wii U this console generation despite it having a ton of good exclusives so I'm definitely curious about the Switch. But man I just got my PS4 and my game backlog is horrendous (says this, plays FFXV until the end of time) so I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter here.

Didn't watch the live stream because it was on at a weird time for me, but I was screaming all the way to the nearest game store!

Pre-ordered the Switch and Breath of the Wild. 

My opinion?

The Switch:

-A little pricey, but that was to be expected. I did a ballpark estimate of $500 for BotW, the Switch, and the three Zelda Amiibos, and that came out to be just about right, with the Switch being $420 after tax, and BotW being $79.99.

-It's what everyone hoped the Wii U would be. I know when the Wii U came out, they not only promised us a Zelda game (liars!), but it looked as though the GamePad would be portable. But nooo! I walk a few feet from my TV and "connection lost".

-REALLY like the idea of it being portable. Kinda said that above, but I seriously can't wait to play Zelda on my break! <3

-I like how it has different ways of playing. The table top mode, TV mode, and Go mode (or whatever), is just really awesome! 

-It actually had decent looking games. I don't really care about most of the games (yet), except for Zelda, but the Wii U had NOTHING when it came out! So, the Switch is already superior. 

-Hope it has backwards compatibility. I'd love to be able to transfer all my eShop games from my Wii to my Wii U, and my Wii U to my Switch, but I kinda doubt that will be possible. Love to play all the old Zelda games on the go! :3

BoTW:

-Pissed that scalpers got all the Master Edition copies, but at least I wasn't the only one who missed it.

-Can't wait to play it!! The idea of an open world... and some of the new concepts. It reminds me of Monster Hunter, Rune Factory, and Skyward Sword combined!

-Average price.

-You probably won't see me on here for the whole month of March. Just sayin'. XD

-This looks like a game I'm gonna sink MANY hours into.

There were actually a lot of other games that looked interesting to me. Fire Emblem Warriors, that new Shin Megami Tensei game, Octopian Wanderer, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc.

@Phadia

@Captain Gensokyo

I've not played any of those series before, which is why I said "yet".

I'm personally hoping for an Animal Crossing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Paper Mario (NOT Sticker Star format!), Rune Factory, and Monster Hunter to be released later down the line. <3

I also heard a rumor, though it may be nothing more than that, that Stardew Valley is coming to the Switch. That would be awesome!

Paper Mario either needs to stop being Sticker Star or just quit ccoming out with new games. At least let a once fantastic series rest. :(

@Phadia

Paper Mario either needs to stop being Sticker Star or just quit ccoming out with new games. At least let a once fantastic series rest. :(

@Phadia

YES! I could literally rant for one thousand years about the series and how it's declined. Bad puns aside, I purchased Sticker Star. And I will admit that I enjoyed it on some level... but it's NOT a Paper Mario game!

Paper Mario (as a series) has the following.

-A diverse cast of characters (Yoshi's, Boo's, Toad's, Koopa's), and characters with personality. NOT cookie cutter Toads. :/

-An OPEN world. Not a map selecting thingy like Mario Bros. Eww.

-A good soundtrack.

-Villages! Koopa Village, Boo's Mansion, Yoshi Village, Petalburg, Glitzville, etc.

-RPG elements. Not pointless battles.

Even Super Paper Mario had most of these things. at the very least, the story and characters had some depth.

I refused to even buy Color Splash. If everybody refuses to buy it, maybe Nintendo will stop being turds. 

ye...

But in my opinion, i have high hopes for the game. The use of your hat as a platform (also a relative of the minish cap) and Mario's hair physics will be great

I'm hype for it too!

Mario: Can I go home'a now?

Artist: No. I just need to animate...each. Individual. Mustache hair.

Mario: NOOOOOO!

I'm hype for it too!

Mario: Can I go home'a now?

Artist: No. I just need to animate...each. Individual. Mustache hair.

Mario: NOOOOOO!

22f9bcf1f582243c67513fd20cc276d7.jpg

Now put a sensor on every 'stache hair.

-It actually had decent looking games. I don't really care about most of the games (yet), except for Zelda, but the Wii U had NOTHING when it came out! So, the Switch is already superior.

I can already tell this thing is going to have software droughts just like the Wii U. I'm just happy that Mario Kart 8 is getting ported so early. That game is great, and there are quite a few Wii U titles that they could port over in addition to that to fill in blanks. Still hoping for that Smash 4 port with 3DS content folded in, makes too much sense.

Really hoping Nintendo can not be Nintendo for once and keep from delaying all these "2017" titles.

There were actually a lot of other games that looked interesting to me. Fire Emblem Warriors, that new Shin Megami Tensei game, Octopian Wanderer, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc.

@Phadia

Gonna buy them all. Was really excited for Project Octopath Traveler, but now that I've heard it's from the Bravely Default team my hype has shot through the roof. They totally get retro RPGs.

@Captain Gensokyo

I'm personally hoping for an Animal Crossing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Paper Mario (NOT Sticker Star format!), Rune Factory, and Monster Hunter to be released later down the line. <3

I also heard a rumor, though it may be nothing more than that, that Stardew Valley is coming to the Switch. That would be awesome!

Stardew Valley is 100% confirmed for Switch. The dev recently expressed some regret that it won't be there launch day, but it sounds like they're working hard to get it on the system as soon as possible.

I want Monster Hunter on the Switch so badly. So badly. The fact that 4U/Generations were portable was okay, but I'd really rather play on a decent size screen with voice chat. I'm disappointed that there weren't any other Wii U titles after 3U for that reason.

@Phadia

This is why I'm glad Miyamoto seems to be taking a back seat to a lot of other people in the company as of late. He's the entire reason why Paper Mario has gotten like that. He's the reason Star Fox Zero was so weird with motion controls if I'm remembering right. He's also the reason we don't have a new F-Zero because he feels the need to force innovation everywhere all the time when just refining something is fine.

I mean, I like the guy's work and personality, but give it a rest. Forcing innovation for the sake of innovation is counterproductive to that cause.

But in my opinion, i have high hopes for the game.

This has potential to be the best game since Super Mario 64. I'm really excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back