• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion "Nicknames" unique to each RP Thread, perhaps?

Justin93Daniels

Half-Human, Half-Monster, Full-Swordsman.
I like the fact that we can now change our names, but... some of us kinda have different characters for each RP, and in some cases, it can get a little confusing to keep up with who's who.

And so, I was wondering... what if there were a "Nickname" option, so that we can keep up with our characters' details, while also not having to change our ACCOUNT names yearly?

Say, for example, "Justin93Daniels" is my account name (boring, I know. -_-'). And so, when I post in Thread 1, my character would be "Jason Walker", while in Thread 2, my character would be "Leo".

There's a new line over the "Post Reply", which has a "Nickname" function. I type in "Jason Walker" and move to the post, and write something in it.

I then post it in Thread 1, and my account would appear as "Jason Walker (Justin93Daniels)" instead of "Justin93Daniels".

I post something else in Thread 2, and it would be "Leo (Justin93Daniels)" instead of "Justin93Daniels".

Anyways, just a small idea, likely to not even be used, but eh, figured it would be worth a shot to say it. Sometimes, the stupidest ideas are those that are not considered, right? ^_^'

We had something like that in Hosted Projects in a previous version of the site, but when we changed software we lost that capability (and it was just in Hosted Projects anyway because of the addon we used for it). It's possible someone's written an addon for our current software to do it, but we're trying to keep the number of addons down to a minimum to avoid problems we've had in the past (i.e., devs not updating the addons which can lead to the site breaking).

It's a neat idea though! And we'll keep it in mind. In the meantime, maybe you want to use post macros for headers at the top of your RP posts? I like to put a link to the character's CS in the macro as well as their name, so I can find it quickly when I want to reference something.

Ah, right... sounds good!

Though now, I have a bit of a noob question... "How does one Macro?" o_0'

Click on your avatar at the top right of your browser window, then select "Post Macros" from the list. (Probably the bottom of the list on the right, at least it is on my screen.) That will take you to where you can set it up. Make sure you save it!

Then, when you're typing in a post, look for the lightning bolt icon in the bar across the top of the text box. Click on that and it will list all the macros you've saved. Then you just click the one you want, and it will insert your macro text for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back