New ST looking to run a Cult of the Illuminated game

deflagratio

This fall I'm running a campaign for some friends at college as I'm the only one with the most exalted knowledge and actually cares about storyline and whatnot. I am thinking of having the game start with all the PC's just arriving in either Kether Rock or the 3rd camp which I will detail later. Has anyone tried a game like this yet and how did it go?

The following is nothing more than early ideas and I would love an critique and suggestion anyone has:

For the PC's I'm going to start them off as unIlluminated Solars and then slowly fill the abilities and the essence score along with a lower exp award. So for the first few weeks they focus on strengthening their essence, when they finish that time frame they recieve free the 3rd dot of Essence. As other lessons and missions are completed they get new charms and new ability dots.

Another idea I had was to start all the PC's as Adepts. Have the PC's build Illuminated Solars and go from there.

Thanks everyone for you're help.

Doesn't look like anyone's replied here yet, but I hope your campaign goes well.  CotI doesn't fit my major campaign needs for right now, so I'm mostly using it as potential background, so I can't say how well it's paid off for me.  But your approach of giving a mixture of unrestricted XP and GM-fiated awards will probably work out in the short term.  Just don't make it a rule.

I've used the idea of giving my players dots in certain abilities before. It works at the start of the game but you very quickly find that your players will not like you dictating the way their characters grow. Very often peoples view of the characters change as the game progresses and they like the chance to branch out in ways you might not expect.

The most I've done with CotI is in a current game a player is running a Gold Faction Sidereal.  I wanted a reason for having the various players running around in the south, so I gave each one a 'plot thread' with a reason to be there.  The Sidereal was sent to investigate why a camp has vanished.  It is going to be a eventual run in with the Autochtonians.  I'm looking forward to running them against this outside threat to Creation.

Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

Thanks for the Input. I recently decided to scrap the boot camp idea as I was having a hard time working it out. So Instead the players are going to play recently graduated Solars who are about to go on their first big mission which is basically Seven Samurai. With a village to save, only they first have to convert the village to Illumination, then train them in time to stop the large caravan with an important artifact. Probably goint to get about 10+ sessions out of this.

Actually I really like the boot camp idea, so since youre not using it... *steal*

Something that I've been curious about is what groups would be fesable in a CotI boot camp game? I know Abyssals, Alchemicals, and FairFolk would be a no no. But the other Exalts? and what about god-blooded? or even maybe DragonKings.

Basically Im curious if it would be workable as a way to start a mixed game and have a plausable reason to keep them together.

I don't see why a CotI boot camp has to be that selective with its party members.

Yes, the trainees ae likely to be mostly Solars, with an occasional Lunar. However, the trainers and support staff have far fewer limitations. God-Bloods as drill sergeants for abilities, DBs for combat support and practice...should an ancient DK who took refuge in Yu-Shan decide to assist a GF Siddie that he owes a favor to, his knowledge would be invaluable.

An Alchemical taking up temporary residence in a boot camp could be an ally of convenience against the Deathlords, a renegade, or a double agent. Would probably need to be Orichalcum or Starmetal caste, though.

A tamed Fair Folk with a set of Grace-crafting charms...[grin]...the camp would likely emphasize on recovering portions of Creation from the Wyld to have such an individual, however.

Why would a Fair Folk weaken the Wyld?

CotI actually mentions that DBs are used in the Camps. They are rare and few, but they are present.

I believe the 2 listed camps have Siddies in them and an extra PC Sid is not out of the Realm, just make sure they agree with the Tenets of the Camp (Martial Law vs. Miracular Use).

DragonKings in a Camp are going to probably not float well as the Solars are "Children of the gods", with proof of the miracles they accomplish.

Lunars are not at all common. But I beleive Kether Rock has a girl(?).

And although I have seen the book say that there is at least one Abyssal in the Cult somewhere, I do not quite yet truly see how, and I remeber them being under the shortest of Leashes that would make them with for a Yozi Leash which is in respects longer.

GodBlooded would be detrimental to the Solar being Children of the God theory. One or the other will end up having to prove such. The "Well, are you or Ain't you," is just seconds away from being brought up.

The entire game point is a conversion of the mortal populace away from the Orderof theImmaculates belief that DBs are tops and SunDemons are not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back