Other Net Neutrality

Donder172

Three Thousand Club
The FCC is once again trying to dismantle Net Neutrality. For those who don't know what that means.

Net Neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites.

They plan to bring this out on Thanksgiven. If they win, they will control what people see.

Comcast wants to control what you do online. Do you want to let them?

Sites like this would most definitely die or at least become severely hampered if net neutrality falls. Keep that in mind.

Already signed!

All these old politicians and businessmen just want to control what we see and do, and for how much, online.

Call your state representative, call your congressmen (both of them). Tell them to support Net Neutrality. I've called mine, and strongly urge you to do so as well.

Make noise, a lot of noise. We have a midterm election coming up, so they'll be listening very closely to their constituents. They always listen, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Be sure to call your representatives as well, change happens when people demand it.

Sitting back and hoping for the best never works out. Ultra wealthy or corporate interests will always be working against the common interests. Fight them at every turn.

i've heard that the likelihood of net neutrality being repealed is super high and that pisses me off because seriously??
there's also the chance of the internet being split into packages, such as pay $29.99 for images!! and $35.99 for videos!! etc
man i do NOT have the money for that

i want to, once i figure out what the number is
do you really think they'll listen?? gosh i hope they do

If they're interested in representing you, they will.

If they're not interested in representing you, they will for fear of losing their job.

Either way, calling is a way to let them know that the public has a voice on an issue.

Public pressure works on public officials. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Do you honestly know what pisses me off the most?
What really fries my chicken, excites my electrons, activates my almonds?
The fact that the NN is this easy to repeal. And I live in a state controlled by Big Money™. Illinois. And it's filled to the brim with Trump voters and republicans, and lotsa old people. I ain't got nothin against old people, mind you, but a majority of old folks aren't too keen on using the internet or don't care about it as much.
Guys, Net Neutrality never was or is a partisan issue or part of the culture war the US is in today. It's consumer protection laws, Goddamnit. The same type of stuff that protected Joe Schmo from developing long cancer in 1911, or steel workers in the 60's and the 80's. If you want the internet to become Cable Internet™, let the FCC take away your Reddit, or your 4chan, or RPN.

I'm thinking of calling my Reps and senators, but I don't know which ones aren't decided on NN. Is there a website that links me to a state's Senators and Rep's phone numbers, and which ones aren't decided on NN?

I got your representatives and congressmen right here. Just click their name and follow the links to their personal website for their office numbers.

People outside the US are also affected. Think of prices for Netflix for example. If they are throttled in the US, they will increase their price in vompensation of what they lose in America. Sites likes these as mentioned in the first comment will also be hampered if not crippled. Internet as we know it will change, for the worse.
Don't believe that the chairman of the FCC has the best intentions at heart. Just look up his hustory and tell me again he is for a free and open internet.
This is also not good for competition. You know why? Because they can block the sites of their competitors if they want to. And I dare to bet they will.
And some people don't even have a choice in ISP's, they have only one available.

Fucking incredible how the chairman and his supporters try to frame this. Thank you to everyone providing links and information here.

Another thing here is that newspapers and news stations are being snatched left and right by conservative groups. By taking away net neutrality, they’re taking away any leftist and centrist news that could criticize their practices. Without net neutrality, all the public will have left is old media—which is heavily controlled by the far right.

I’m not going to go over who this will affect cause you all know, but they’re not listening to emails or petitions anymore. They’re actively ignoring bots and scripts. The FCC has admitted to not caring about those.

If net neutrality gets taken away, and all we do is post angrily about it, they’re not going to care. Government agencies don’t care until you torch their $100,000 cars. They’re not going to consider your thoughts until direct action is taken, and if net neutrality goes direct action is all we’ll have

Another thing here is that newspapers and news stations are being snatched left and right by conservative groups. By taking away net neutrality, they’re taking away any leftist and centrist news that could criticize their practices. Without net neutrality, all the public will have left is old media—which is heavily controlled by the far right.

I’m not going to go over who this will affect cause you all know, but they’re not listening to emails or petitions anymore. They’re actively ignoring bots and scripts. The FCC has admitted to not caring about those.

If net neutrality gets taken away, and all we do is post angrily about it, they’re not going to care. Government agencies don’t care until you torch their $100,000 cars. They’re not going to consider your thoughts until direct action is taken, and if net neutrality goes direct action is all we’ll have

There's a concept for this, it's called regulatory capture, where a government agency initially created to regulate an industry is captured by the industry itself, and thus can't perform its original purpose. This has happened for a L O N G time, but practically every governmental agency or department is being filled to the brim with Big Money cronies thanks to God Emporer The Donald It's not a cult guys Trump.

So as of the 7th this bill has been introduced to thwart the FCC from trying shit like this. This is the bill to mention if you haven't already called your reps, or even if you have already. Voting takes place tomorrow for the repeal.

New Another thing here is that newspapers and news stations are being snatched left and right by conservative groups. By taking away net neutrality, they’re taking away any leftist and centrist news that could criticize their practices. Without net neutrality, all the public will have left is old media—which is heavily controlled by the far right.
Do you have any actual sources for this. You ever even seen CNN or MSNBC, BBC? They all are pretty in favor of leftist ideals with the only actual exception being Fox which no one likes anyways.

If you wanna go commit arson because of "muh emotions" then feel free to do so but don't try and drag anyone else into it. Everyone else would much rather prefer being civilized like we should be in a democratic society, not "I'll destroy things whenever I get upset" lmao

As a non-American, I still have absolutely no idea what this Net Neutrality thing is.

Does it only affect only the US or the entire world?

As a non-American, I still have absolutely no idea what this Net Neutrality thing is.

Does it only affect only the US or the entire world?
It will affect the rest of the world too. Depending on what ISPs choose should the FCC be sucessful in destroying it.

Very simply put, net neutrality is set of regulations that prevent internet service providers from blocking and/or changing the speed of what data (websites) consumers receive. Title II/net neutrality is more or less what helps the internet be treated as a public commodity. Repealing net neutrality would put power into the hands of businesses. We don't really know exactly will really happen, but I would argue this has the potential to affect a lot of people, not just in the US.

The most frightening thing is if the internet starts coming in "packages," like as you see with Portugal, which doesn't have net neutrality in place. This would mean that consumers would have to pay separately for something like social media, how much data can be used monthly, news websites like idk CNN, search engines and what have you. Only people with the money will be able to access the whole internet. Suddenly something like libraries need to be forking out a lot more money to let the general public access the internet, if they're even willing to do that. Trafficking on websites is inevitably going to be cut down, and plenty of people running these websites rely on that kind of trafficking (restricted access to people who may potentially donate money and/or the number of people able to view advertisements which fund those websites). Maybe because less people are able to access it, sites like Netflix are going to raise their prices because they don't want to take that dip in profits.

It also goes without saying that the US is very involved with global politics. We're supposed to be a representative democracy where the general population can influence government decisions. If the news is becoming restricted to those who can access them (and the internet, I would venture to say, is by far the most popular way of keeping up with the news these days), that means a public much more ignorant to what's happening within our country and the rest of the world. The lower class then has to work even harder to be able to make informed political decisions when they have other things to worry about, which could disproportionately skew the representation in the government to upper class/upper middle class and what have you.

I'm derailing a bit from "keeping it simple" and I know this is a lot of "if" scenarios, but again, we really don't know what will happen. I don't think big businesses have the best intentions, though. Take a look at Verizon, for example. It was a court case involving them that spurred the internet being classed as title II to begin with back in 2015. Now Verizon has bought Tumblr, and idk if you know anything about Tumblr, but there's a lot of posts floating around trying to politically mobilize people to try to stop this from happening. Verizon/Tumblr is making it to where after, idk, what is it, 20 minutes?? people automatically unfollow the net neutrality tag. Looking at stuff like that, well...

69jjdzbzs7mz.jpg

So basically how this could affect potentially affect other countries as I see it: 1. Prices getting raised for things like Netflix 2. US [global] politics being pushed more into the hands of big businesses/$$ people whoMst have a bad little habit of fucking over/exploiting less developed countries 3. For a more specific and potentially more prominent example, online activism/politically mobilizing online could get a lot harder 4. Smaller websites shutting down if they can't find some way to adapt to these climbing prices/lower trafficking and 5. People who have friends with Americans, roleplaying with Americans on here, long-distance relationships with Americans etc. who either will become more financially stressed to keep up communications and/or may just flat out not be able to afford using certain websites

Sorry that's a lot but I'm really bad at tl;dring things I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back