Advice/Help Need Help with Interest Check

MrMopp

Two Thousand Club
I set up an interest check a about three days ago on the 1x1 thread, butI haven't got many bites so far. Could someone check my work and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here?

Hi ho! Mister the Mopp here!

I'm looking for someone to do an Rp with me where one of us is in charge of inventing and running the setting while the other plays an outsider and gets to explore it. 

Here's what you got to know :

RULES 

•No smut. Period.

•you need to be 17 or older. I will be checking 

•I am a.o.k with characters that are animals, animal like, or even anthropomorphic creatures (though I'm going to be VERY picky about straight up "furries" or "anthros". There needs to be a flip'n good excuse for the existence of such. Also, see rule #1)

•you need to consider yourself to be an exceptionally creative or witty writer.

•if you are in charge of the setting, you need to have a pretty detailed world in mind, or at least be able to make up interesting crap on the spot. But you don't have to tell me anything right off the bat. I like surprises. 

•( also, you also need to have a central point that the plot is moving toward, however slow or meandering. Plots that don't have that are dull or end up dying quickly)

•if you play the outsider, your character needs to have an interesting personality, thought process, internal conflicts and background. Remember, you're the protagonist of this story. Also, you can't be a magic user, and if you read that, tell me your favorite ice cream flavor. 

write like your writing a story. Be professional about it. Incidentally, I would loooooooove to see your past works.

ABOUT ME

•I like medieval or ancient themes, 

•I like aliens environments 

•I like first encounters.

•I like animals 

•I like underdogs

•I LOVE witty humor 

•I enjoy folklore 

•not a fan of romance. Sorry.

•I strongly prefer to play on public threads.

Edited Friday at 05:56 PM by MrMopp

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I'm going to start this off by saying this is in no way indicative of the community as a whole. This is just my personal thought process, which I've found to be different in many ways to others'. So, as I always say, make of it what you will.

•I am a.o.k with characters that are animals, animal like, or even anthropomorphic creatures (though I'm going to be VERY picky about straight up "furries" or "anthros". There needs to be a flip'n good excuse for the existence of such. Also, see rule #1)

(Particularly regarding the underlined part)

You may not have intended it this way, but this reads like you assume any furry player you come across will have a high likelyhood of wanting to RP smut. I can see this putting a lot of them off, even if you state your intentions beforehand.

I do not. Not in any sense of the words.

•if you are in charge of the setting, you need to have a pretty detailed world in mind

I also do not believe I do, though you do preface this with the caveat that it's only if I'm the one in charge of the setting. As for the part that comes afterwards, see above.

Also, you can't be a magic user

This is the largest red flag to me. I'm a huge fan of magic, and most of my characters use it in some capacity. So this limits my possibilities to basically nothing.

•not a fan of romance. Sorry.

I think this is the only part I can confidently speak on behalf of the other RPers. Most people in the 1x1 section are looking for romance RPs. It really sucks for those of us with plots, I know - I've even had a few plots up myself that've just fallen into obscurity because no one was interested in them.

That's pretty much it. Now, looking over it, it's pretty clear I'm not your target demographic XD So my word very likely isn't worth much to you. But I'm basically just throwing my analysis out there just on the off chance that it could maybe be helpful. Good luck, though! ^.^

I have the following to add onto the previous comment:

you need to consider yourself to be an exceptionally creative or witty writer

I don't know why you'd include something like this in your rules.  Do you want to RP with (only) the self-absorbed? In any case, a lot of people here tend to view their writing as "it's ok".  So, this might turn off some people. It also pegs you as some sort of elitist, which also turns away a lot of people. If you are an elitist or you want to turn away certain people with this statement, it seems to be working. 

if you are in charge of the setting, you need to have a pretty detailed world in mind, or at least be able to make up interesting crap on the spot. But you don't have to tell me anything right off the bat. I like surprises

"In charge of the setting" implies that you're not contributing to the setting in any way.

Combined with:

u also need to have a central point that the plot is moving toward, however slow or meandering. Plots that don't have that are dull or end up dying quickly

You might just as well ask people to write the entire story. I mean, what exactly are you doing?

Why? If you're going to make a statement such as this one, explain it. 

write like your writing a story. Be professional about it.

Roleplaying is not a job. Being professional about it makes it sound like a chore. Nobody likes chores.

Main critique that turned me off is this: 

1. You don't make a distinction between who is driver and who is rider in your 1x1... if you're going to run the setting, advertise as such.

if you are seeking a game, likewise proceed as such. 

2. You're being a bit harsh and opinionated in places. Explain your peevs and comfort zone in one paragraph and be succinct or you'll scare away modest folk and offend type As. 

3. Wait to evaluate style during the vetting process. In my RP I demonstrated I invest a lot in my RP... people who took shortcuts replying or demonstrated poor elements of style can be weeded out behind the scenes.

the overall timbre of an interest check should be about all the fun you hope you both are about to have... not what you'll tolerate.

that said, I think you're great mr. Mopp, and vouch for you... even if you didn't use my squirrel people pulley system idea. ;)

1. You don't make a distinction between who is driver and who is rider in your 1x1... if you're going to run the setting, advertise as such.

if you are seeking a game, likewise proceed as such. 

He's looking for some people who'll do one, and some people who'll do the other, all in the same interest check. That's what I got out of it anyway.

Your empiricism has given you a positive reputation that preceded you, sir Lego... as does your gentle shepherding of forum rules.

all that said, I still think two checks (running/seeking) are in order. 

When end I choose somebody to RP with, my first concern is "does this person know what they want?" 

Because SE if they don't, those are the guys that get bored and move on.

My main critique is that I have literally no idea what you're asking for here other than someone you think is "good" and can write a plot.

I believe part of the problem is you're rather vague in what you're expecting, simultaneously being far too picky.  There is nothing wrong with setting standards for yourself and your RP partners, but you say things like 'you need to consider yourself an exceptionally witty writer'... and how many people view themselves in such a way? I certainly don't, I'd only ever say something like that jokingly in self-deprecation because I am not that witty (no matter what I tell myself x3).  Not a lot of people are going to call themselves exceptional writers, and you might find that those who do don't meet your particular standards. Now what I would do is ask for samples/past RPs that you can look through to get an idea of someone's writing style, and determine for yourself whether you deem them good enough for you to RP with. Instead of 'loving' to see past works say you need to so you can get an understanding of someone's writing style. Make it a rule to RP with you, that way your partner knows what to expect, and you can pick and choose if you want to RP with them.

Along with that, one of my problems with this is that you seem to imply that your partner should be the one pulling the story along? 'If you're in charge of the setting, have a detailed world in mind', and 'You're the protagonist of the story' both imply that you're sort of...just along for the ride? Even in a group RP I like to give other players a chance at world building, assuming they adhere to the basic structure I've given, and I definitely expect the same from my partner. If we both can't contribute equally to a story (even if one of us 'created' the world'/has more knowledge of it), there's no point, it becomes irritating when only one person is contributing to the plot. If both/all the people involved with the RP aren't doing things to pull the story along/create a grander scope of the world (assuming that's the kind of RP someone is looking for), than you might as well just be writing a story by yourself.

Also implying you're more likely to be asked about doing smut RPs by a particular group has some...unfortunate implications if I may? You already stated you don't do smut (which isn't allowed on this site to begin with, if I recall), you don't need to emphasize it in regards to a particular style/group of RP-ers. I know next to nothing of the furry community, but I'm never one for generalizations, and specifying: "hey, I'm cool with some furries, but no smut, at all, even though I already mentioned I don't like it, and it's against site rules' comes off as...like I said, unfortunate. Also, this is more of a personal question, but why does there need to be a specific reason for anthros/furries to exist? It's kind of like magic in certain situations, yeah in our world it doesn't make sense, but within the setting of the story you don't really question it (assuming the story is a good one x3).  But that isn't a complaint, just a mild curiosity I have about anyone who tries to shoehorn explanations for things, I just find that sometimes it makes it much more difficult to enjoy something ift they try to explain why that thing is happening with reason/logic (it's one of my big issues with zombies, honestly x3).

if you play the outsider, your character needs to have an interesting personality, thought process, internal conflicts and background.

Also this part is a bit weird to me, mostly because I expect these things from any character, regardless of their status within the confines of the RP.

Someone mentioned the 'don't like magic users/romance' thing being an issue, but I don't think it's that big of an issue. I enjoy both of those things myself, but there are plenty of people who can take or leave those elements in a RP and it shouldn't affect you finding a partner too much.

But all in all, it's a really strange mixture of being too specific/picky, but not really saying what you want. I'd also make your about me/list of things you'd do like a little more noticeable, quite frankly I didn't even see them at first ^^; (But also I'm sick so that could be more of a 'me' problem x3).

Either way good luck with finding partners~!

Thanks folks! 

All right, so going off of these critiques-  since its going to be hard to respond to everyone individually (sorry)- I'm making myself a list of things I ought to fix. 

Revise the parentheses to say "but just make sure there's some creative originality behind it.  Like don't let "anthro" or "furry" be the name of your characters race."

Kill it. (evidently, I'm a egotist) 

•if you are in charge of the setting, you need to have a pretty detailed world in mind, or at least be able to make up interesting crap on the spot. But you don't have to tell me anything right off the bat. I like surprises. 

•( also, you also need to have a central point that the plot is moving toward, however slow or meandering. Plots that don't have that are dull or end up dying quickly)

Ahhhh, this is a conflicting point for me.

The kinds of 1x1 games I enjoy the most are the ones where I create the world and unfold before the other player as they walk around it. But I also wanted to understand what the experience was like from the other end so I could make my games more enjoyable. Hence I offered for potential partners a choice to take the wheel as well.  

The problem is, that requires someone who knows how to build a story. Im not an expert myself, but I know that you need to have an end point or the game gets "dull or dies quickly". 

Is there a better approach?

if you play the outsider, your character needs to have an interesting personality, thought process, internal conflicts and background. Remember, you're the protagonist of this story.

Kill it.

Part of why I said this was because I wanted to find a partner who liked playing relatable character rather than powerful ones, but also because the kind of magic I use in this world is based is...  storybook like. It evolves around emotion and imagination, has less defined limits  then a traditional RPG, and the mechanics behind it would take days for me to explain. 

I figure it's best to start out with commoners knowledge  and discover for themselves how magic interacts with the world.

But my phrasing does exclude characters of a magical nature, doesn't it?  Is there a better way I could put it?  I just don't want them playing a character that ought to know how magic works, like a wizard.  Cause then I'd have to teach them.

write like your writing a story. Be professional about it. Incidentally, I would loooooooove to see your past works.

The only point I completely disagree on ( respectfully of course) . Granted you rarely  get paid for it, a pationate artist  takes their hobbies seriously and  won't settle for less than their best.  I've been advised by a friend of mine not to play with lazy writers because he noticed the quality of my own writing dropped when I did.

I suspect one or two of those may have been my fault. Looking back, I was kind of an A-hole to other players.

Still am, to some degree.

You're not a failure if you're remembered fondly, sir. 

I don't think I'm remembered fondly if I haven't spoken to most of the people I played with, and the ones I did aren't my friends anymore now.

Won't debate facts not present for, but you seem to have the goods by my instincts.

stay tall.

The only point I completely disagree on ( respectfully of course) . Granted you rarely  get paid for it, a pationate artist  takes their hobbies seriously and  won't settle for less than their best.  I've been advised by a friend of mine not to play with lazy writers because he noticed the quality of my own writing dropped when I did.

While I get where you are coming from, professional may not be the most suitable word to tag in there since many here are hobbyist and professional (in the arts) often equates to making a living or working to make a living off your work. Some fantastic hobbyist may see "professional" there and turn away.

Perhaps make a mention of keeping the quality of writing equivalent to your own or whatever you see as quality instead? Ask for samples before you pick your partner. That will chase some folks off, but you can get what you are looking for in a partner. Alternatively, offer samples up front on your RP thread so an interested person can compare their work to see if they match you.

I work in both art and writing, and I treat them very seriously and strive to improve, but by all means, I'm a hobbyist. I think you put your point across better here in the comment I quoted, though you may wanna word it a little...er more delicately? There's nothing wrong with wanting a writer who will be passionate about their craft, that's a reasonable quality to want in a partner.

I would reword that part of the interest thread none the less, maybe taking out professional since in can be massively misconstrued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back