Nation Roleplaying

BURNTCUBED

Hey all! I'm new here and very rusty with forum RPing and what I'm looking to get into on here is Nation Roleplaying. If there's anyone here who sees this, all I want to know is the 'customs', so to speak, of NRPing on this site, especially for diplomacy and wartime, and also for the 'form' of the roleplay in general. It would also be helpful to know the 'customs' for basic nation outlines on here. Thank you! :)

I have been summoned to help you with any of your desired needs.

I am Welian's resident "Boy" and the patriarch of her cult following.

Let's start off with the following, and in this very order:

Tell me if you want to skip any of the following steps

• Basic idea of NRP
  • Things that can be done in an NRP
  • How to behave and act in an NRP
  • How to write and which ways you can write in NRP
  • Diplomacy in NRP
  • Warfare in NRP
  • Nation Sheets

General address to your requested topics:

There is no real defined "Custom", or so to speak, when we come to NRPing. It's very hard to find a real custom in roleplaying in general, because it's a very loose term in this community, I feel. People do as they always have been, on the internet, and that then translates into people having their own styles and behaviours when roleplaying in any and all genres.

The thing with nation building, however, is that people tend to get a little too focused on warfare, decking their armies out to the max without playing the A game in any other category. Or the very sad cases where their nation is absolutely awesome in every and all things. This is a not really a custom as it is a result of bad imagination, I feel. Therefor I'd advise you to play by the plot, try to make some amazing stories and events like a true nation roleplay should be, and not play it as if it's a game of Civ where you just HAVE to conquer every and all things.

If you want to go further indepth into the upper categories, then merely message me what you want to discuss.

But now, like you said, I will give you a quick overview as to the military portions of an NRP.

A military is very necessary for any state, and since an NRP is essentially the roleplaying of a nationstate, our 'characters', or nations, are no exceptions. However, this does not demand for your army to be amazing, no. Your army should be similar to your nation, and shouldn't be ridiculously powerful or overwhelming. This is for the fairness of the collective, but also the sake of the roleplayers. People who focus on military tend to focus on conquest, conquering nations does not always equate to the best possible story alternatives.

My tip is to always try to seek into the best options to make an awesome plotline and story and go those routes, communicate with the people in the roleplay, and make sure that others are on the same page before you do anything drastic such as declare war and/or invade a nation.

And because military can hold such an important role in the roleplay, people often have to play the diplomatic game as well. The diplomatic game is the most interesting, as per my opinion. Playing the game of life and death, in this arena your life stands balanced, not on a sword, but on your words and how you defend yourself.

Diplomacy is essential in any NRP, and will always play a pivotal role in any plotline, therefor it is not to ever be ignored. If you were to ignore it, you'll find yourself in a hard time stuck between a united foe allied against your cause. You'd find yourself surrounded and destroyed, and you'd find yourself overwhelmed by roleplayers who didn't like the fact that you went in for a purely powergame (playing optimally for the only sake of winning through dominance).

This shouldn't be the case, so in order hopefully keep you from possibly causing such an occurance, I'd like to inform you right now that diplomacy is the single most thing to focus on in any roleplay. If your army isn't mighty, then you can easily make up for that with clever politicians. If you want to bring a powerful nation into your alliance; diplomacy.

Anything can be acquired if you have a skilled enough politician and high enough skills in diplomacy, hence why it's so very essential. Not only is it a versatile tool to form plot and stories, but it's also essential in your own defense, as well.

This location is for possible requested topics within the NRP forum

HAIIIIII

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Ok, so I'm kind of an old veteran NRPer, I do tend more towards militaristic, but I also feel I'm pretty good at diplomacy. So, I get the basic idea of an NRP and things that can be done, etc. What I'm looking for is if there's a certain, like, procedure for diplomacy/warfare here, as well as for writing NRPs. Also, I would like a refresher on nation sheets/outlines, if that isn't too inconvenient.

BURNTCUBED said:
  • Ok, so I'm kind of an old veteran NRPer, I do tend more towards militaristic, but I also feel I'm pretty good at diplomacy. So, I get the basic idea of an NRP and things that can be done, etc. What I'm looking for is if there's a certain, like, procedure for diplomacy/warfare here, as well as for writing NRPs. Also, I would like a refresher on nation sheets/outlines, if that isn't too inconvenient.
Of course, give me a few minutes.

I'll be using several roleplays for reference, and I'll be linking the character sheets in this lobby for easier comparison for you as the roleplayer to get into the way of things.

Posting Procedures

This matter is quite simple, but can be quite varried. The solution is as follows: It depends on the GM. If your gaming master has decided that there should be a posting procedure in the lines of "You have to do this before being able to do this", then that is the case. But more often than not the so called 'procedures' are more up to the roleplayers judgement. It's more a matter of relevance, if something becomes actual for a nation to deal with, then it will be dealt with by the nation. Therefor procedures are somewhat useless in this format, as things are dealt with dynamically, and if they aren't, then the outcome has most likely been decided from the start. That's why communication is key, to understand what is going on in the world at hand.

Character Sheets

Character sheets are quite complex for all nation sheets, and this is a fact I'm sure we're all familiar with. However, some roleplays go more indepth than others. Some also go very basic and use the IC to evolve their nations. This some examples of some indepth character sheets, and a basic one.

Example: Reach for the Galaxy

INSERT NATION NAME

General Description(This section will contain a general, quick description of your nation. It will discuss the inhabitants and general persona of the nation and it's people, amongst other things. This section will contain at least two paragraphs of overarching information)

Species Description

(This section will discuss the nature of the species of your stellar nation. How they act, how they think and appear. Where they are found, that type of thing. How naturally old they are, so on so forth, you get the idea)

Military Information

(This section will contain all the information which your military will contain, feel free to make sub-headers and the likes in order to organize this section into multiple sub-sections in regards to, per example, Branches, Doctrines, Command Structure, etc. Remember, all the information on your military WILL be found in here. If it isn't here, then you don't have it. This doesn't necessarily partain to individual ships or ship-classes. However, whilst individual ships and classes don't have to be discussed, you should mention how well off technologically a branch is, so that we'd be able to expect what they might have access to, etc)

Administrative Information

Government Description

(This section should discuss what your governments governing structure looks like, and how it operates. For instance, let's say your nation is a republic. In that case you discuss and explain how your nation functions in terms of governing. You should also discuss certain key political roles and possibly, if you want, key political individuals)

Economic Description

(This section will discuss what the economic situation looks like for your particular stellar nation. Do you have access to valuables? Are you a trade empire, and if so, who are you trading with? What are you trading? It's basically an explanation of how well-off your economy is so that we'd be able to expect what your nation would be able to deploy and bargain. There's no need to use numbers)

Cultural Information

Culture Description

(How do your people behave, how do they feel, what do they know, what do they believe. All these things make up culture, even language is a part of culture. Things such as these, and more, will be explained in this section)

National History

(This section is self explanatory, it will contain whatever brought the nation up to this very point)

Planet Descriptions (Optional)

(This section will discuss the planets, star systems, and generally anything under your stellar nation's grasp in regards to stellar objects. If you have anything essential, such as your homeworld or an important manufacturing center (etc), then you'd want it to be described here in further detail. This section will also include how many star systems you have and what they're called)

(Pick a grid WITHIN the galaxy in the galaxy map. Keep in mind, your borders will be considered overstretched under numerous different circumstances. I will tell you if your borders are overstretched)

Example: 2028 A WORLD OF STRIFE

Name-

Nation Name-

Overview-

Government Type-

Do you promise to Abide by all the Rules of This RP-

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, that was very helpful. Just one more thing: How do I do the nation sheet thing in a post? That's honestly something I've never seen before lol

Most roleplays supply you with a character sheet, so you just fill in the parts where it tells you to fill, and you follow the directions.

All you need to do is analyze the code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back