Naruto OC Open For Critique

Lycan Queen

So I make a lot of oc's for my favorite fandoms and one of them that I have a wide selection for is the Naruto fandom. That being said I would like thoughts on a specific one that I've already made public through an ongoing fanfiction. If you want elaboration on how she fits into the Narutoverse then you can view that on fanfiction net under "That Which Binds" by Crazy Hopeless Romantic.

Please let me know what you genuinely think because I like hearing opinions. SORRY IT'S SUPER LONG!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Nikita Kurosaki

Height: 6 ft

Appearance: Long waving white hair that ends at the lower back just above the rear, snow pale skin, and sapphire eyes. These eyes alternate from precious blue to scarlet red when her kekkei genkai is activated. Her form is fit, obviously in shape as far as muscle tone goes, but her form retains an overall curve that includes a rather sizable bust. She keeps shadows around her eyes that hint at a lack of blood flow. Delicate yet sharp features that give her a porcelain doll appearance.

The Clan: Nikita comes from a prestigious clan that was at one time the trump card for the Waterfall Village. The Kurosaki's are a clan with no known age, beginning with the Sage known as Tokyo Kurosaki who received his abilities through no known means. He is where the legend of the vampire originated and his descendents inspired more legends.

Kurosaki members have incredible photosensitivity that causes them to burn in sunlight and eventually disintegrate into compact dust or ash in a burst of heat their bodies cannot handle. Along with this their bodies can only handle blood and the nutrition it supplies, their gastronomic anatomy being similar to bats sharing the same label in this way. Furthermore, a Kurosaki is identified through specific physical characteristics. 

First off they are deathly pale because their hearts beat incredibly slow and blood circulates about as many times a day as one would normally eat. This also makes them cold to the touch and is a tactic adapted to simulate death, which is one of many ways Kurosaki's lure in potential food. They are also born with natural sapphire eyes that they will keep until they undergo their first metamorphosis, and retain when their bloodline trait is inactive. Young Kurosaki's have snow white hair that will slowly turn silver as they reach their older years. If left to die by natural cause, the lifespan for a Kurosaki is roughly 160 years. They are also incredibly beautiful, another of the ways they attract victims. Other lures include melodic voices and gentle appearances. They are also fast healers, and minor injuries can heal almost instantly. The main means of killing them are beheading, incineration ( or sunlight ), the damaging of the heart, or starvation to the point their healing fails.

Every Kurosaki undergoes three metamorphoses, each being a change in body that comes only when one can handle it. These classify 'vampires' based on development.

The first metamorphosis consists of a Kurosaki gaining their red eyes as their kekkei genkai is activated. Along with this comes enhanced strength, endurance, speed, reflexes, and heightened senses. If one never reaches a primary metamorphosis, they are usually killed. Ones who only undergo this phase are ranked C class.

The secondary metamorphosis is when the Kurosaki essentially hits a puberty specific to the clan, where they become fully developed physically and gain a surge of new abilities to their kekkei genkai, including: chemicals in their saliva that induce pleasure and happiness in prey so they will not want to escape, a venom that can pass their bloodline trait to non clan members, and further enhancement to physical prowess. Ones who only reach this phase are B class.

Finally the last metamorphosis marks the A class 'vampires'. Here they realize their full ability to perform simple fire and wind jutsu without the use of hand signs. This marks truly praiseworthy family members.

There are rogues ( people that have acquired the Kurosaki kekkei genkai ) that gains their strengths as well as their weaknesses but never to the same degree since they weren't meant for the limits required. They can't pass on the trait themselves and cannot use jutsu without handsigns, nor do they enter metamorphoses. When given they automatically are placed at C or B rank, never to reach A rank.

Once every couple generations a Sage is born, one where the photosensitivity is weak and the person is able to withstand sunlight so long as they are in peak health. ( Usually when they have recently fed and blood is still supplying their body with nutrients. ) Another rarity is one who can actually perform basic ninja jutsu with the use of handsigns. 

Backstory:  Nikita was born the second and final child to her parents, being the lord and lady of their clan who lived in a single large manor. As the heiress, she was expected to marry one of her distant cousins ( or her brother ) and pass on the pure genes. Her older brother Kimoto as heir was meant to do the same, but he himself was to lead the clan when their father passed. 

Seen as an early failure because of her weakness, Nikita was all but disowned from her clan and repeatedly abused both physically and emotionally. In her younger years, only her brother ( who was a prodigy and seen as the embodiment of the clan ) showed her any kindness, and even then he had to mask it from the rest of their relatives. As a child she dreamt of becoming a Sage and her brother actually longed to be a ninja, but since he could not perform the basic jutsu and she was forced to receive ninja training to avoid becoming a total loss, they lived out their dreams through one another. Though not a Sage, Kimoto went through vigorous training to become clan lord and underwent all metamorphoses by age fifteen. Nikita met a young Kakuzu at the academy and became his first friend as well as teammate later on along with a boy named Yuki. As years passed she and her brother became more distant until she believed he no longer cared, even though in short moments he would go soft for her. At 11 she underwent her primary metamorphosis and became a jonin along with Kakuzu as part of a plot to groom them for the assassination of the first Hokage. It was then that she also discovered she had the potential to be a Sage when the sun took several minutes to burn her.

At age 16 she took the life of a rogue who had sought her out while on sentry duty as an ANBU covering for chuunin in order to make her his. By 19 she and a 21 year old Kakuzu had formed deep feelings for one another and had planned to confess during an event for ninja where she showed up just after completing her second metamorphosis. They never got a chance because her parents arrived to forcefully take her home and forbid anyone to seek her out for she would never leave again. Kimoto would have a brief confrontation with Kakuzu and address a rivalry that had formed over several years. 

Once back at the compound her clan took turns beating her, her pleading for her brother to help her, until her mother stepped forward to actually end her life. At this moment she retaliated and actually killed her mother. When her father moved to take revenge, Kimoto actually stepped forth and saved her. Together the two massacred their own clan that had turned against them, and the manor was set aflame. Afraid for her brother, Nikita set him off on his own to avoid being found and accused by the village for treason. Reluctantly he would leave and she would take blame for the massacre. She would meet with Kakuzu before fleeing the village for just long enough to share her feelings with him and leave a past gift he'd given her in his care once more. She left before he could follow and led the ANBU on a wild goose chase until she managed to lose them. 

She was never ever able to find her brother afterwards because the weather had erased any traces he'd left. She was left alone as the last female of the Kurosakis. Seventy years would pass with her only doing what was necessary to live and keeping a low profile to avoid capture by the Waterfall ninja. She never discovered that Kakuzu was forced to take on the assassination without her and she only ever kept connected to her past by using her shinobi abilities to become a mercenary for hire. She charged decent and invested only in what she deemed worthy. Currently she is a nomad that never stays in one place for long.

Personality: When in the Waterfall Village she was known to be quiet and submissive around her clan to avoid more conflict than necessary, and only ever showed enthusiasm when she was surrounded by her teammates and shinobi she had earned respect from, since her clan name made her a common avoidance for local villagers. She was kind as a child and that became a nurturing trait as she got older. Being 89 years old she now carries wisdom and looks upon others as children and treats them as a mother or other nurturing figure would. She isn't as energetic as she was in her youth and is known to be calm and collected as well as well mannered and polite to passers by and especially children and young adults. She often has to remind herself that she ages differently because she looks to be only thirty something and she is expected to associate with people in that age range since it's the equivalent to what she is in her own lifespan.

She doesn't open up to anyone really since she doesn't stick around long enough to become attached and she avoids possible romantic interests because of her foiled love with Kakuzu in her youth. But that along with her past experiences with relationships both romantic and familiar, she isn't eager to open herself up to more pain.

As a mercenary she only takes jobs that are profitable and deemed justifiable. She would never hunt down an innocent or a simple shinobi deflector. She avoids killing anyone besides her contracts, including food and even sometimes uses her contracts as a means to feed anyway and avoid hurting others needlessly. She has a love of scenery and rain and sees beauty in rather unattractive things.

She expects respect and manners however, and will not hesitate to tell you so, much like any elder might. She likes animals well enough but she is a tired person emotionally and doesn't get worked up over much unless she's severely angered. Any anger otherwise is usually more of a scolding. 

She can summon bats, but like humans she tries not to become too attached. 

She never expects to find love or have children, and decides that her legacy will come from students if she one day takes one on. 

Quirks: She has trouble keeping up with new things that the younger generation likes.

She also has a habit of expecting younger people to do what's asked of them and behaves a lot like a nagging parent to anyone she spends extended time with. 

She doesn't care for drawn out battles and gets impatient the longer one goes on.

She also accidentally makes comments on the different tastes of blood depending on who and what it comes from, which makes people around her uncomfortable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
(Note : Excuse my boldness, I'm one who likes to say what I feel, maybe not in the most diplomatic and calm matter, but I do not intend to offence anyone in anyway.)

Now. I'm no Naruto expert but here is what I can tell :

First about the clan's power, I understand you try to replicate a vampire but here is what I can tell :

- So, I'm seriously questioning the "how" the clan become vampire like creatures, they are not even remotely close to human.

- Secondly I'm questioning the "why" they got all these traits, extreme photosensitivity ? even cave dwellers animals still live when exposed to the sun. If they really have that amount of sensitivity, they would die from the simplest light, not the light of the sun only. I can't see why they would need to feed on blood only too. Why would someone evolve like that and why would it be encouraged by nature ?

- I know that we are not trying to hard-science this, it's Naruto, it's meant to be unrealistic. But it's a level of unrealism that contrast too much with Naruto as I know it. Sharingans ?  Hump.. Whatever. Spirits and Mythological beasts ? I mean okay... But Ninja vampires clan ? That shit is the fucking future ! ;)

Here is what I can propose as a solution :

- Why look into supernatural things where the clan members can just be affected by albinism ? It would make them very pale, their eye color could be explained, and they would get sunburned (which can lead to cancer) very easily (not to the point where they start turning into ashes though, that thing is just too magic-y to exist)

- A race of beautiful people doesn't exist or is really boring, deal with it. They may be extremely persuasive or have very refine make-up, clothes and ornament though. (Since they would probably walk in the day competently covered by clothes)

- No extended life, really. They don't need it. They just don't. And I can't image how they would live this long. They should have a shorter life if you really want to be logic.

Now about the character :

- Really powerful Hinata-like feeling. (Being weak, brother better than her, born in a very conservative and strange clan.

- Submissive characters bore me, but that's just me. So don't take that argument into account if you want to keep that vibe.

- SUMMON BATS ? Like real bats ? Wow, what a time to be alive.

- Weak quirks and no real scars from her background. She never rebuilt herself from what was done to her, how can she be so independant.

- Last member of clan X, Now she is Sasuke too. And it's oddly convenient.

- Overall kinda Marie Sue

What I would suggest :

- Reduce the number of dramatic event that happens around her. Leave only one or two. Now she just seem cliché, a "I'm just a poor poor girl, I want some love but at the same time I reject everyone." I've seen hundreds of those characters and they are boring to play with, they just never act or only complain or look sad all the time.

- Change the clan specs

- Make her resist, fight and not flee all the time. She has no way to justify her powers for now (No way but the op clan she is the last member of, which is pretty boring)

Here is what I can tell.

I think you can make a great character but this one feel way too cliché to me.

Good length and good text quality though, we understand what she has undergo, the form is good but the content is to be worked on.

Good luck ! ;D

(Note : Excuse my boldness, I'm one who likes to say what I feel, maybe not in the most diplomatic and calm matter, but I do not intend to offence anyone in anyway.)

Now. I'm no Naruto expert but here is what I can tell :

First about the clan's power, I understand you try to replicate a vampire but here is what I can tell :

- So, I'm seriously questioning the "how" the clan become vampire like creatures, they are not even remotely close to human.

- Secondly I'm questioning the "why" they got all these traits, extreme photosensitivity ? even cave dwellers animals still live when exposed to the sun. If they really have that amount of sensitivity, they would die from the simplest light, not the light of the sun only. I can't see why they would need to feed on blood only too. Why would someone evolve like that and why would it be encouraged by nature ?

- I know that we are not trying to hard-science this, it's Naruto, it's meant to be unrealistic. But it's a level of unrealism that contrast too much with Naruto as I know it. Sharingans ?  Hump.. Whatever. Spirits and Mythological beasts ? I mean okay... But Ninja vampires clan ? That shit is the fucking future ! ;)

Here is what I can propose as a solution :

- Why look into supernatural things where the clan members can just be affected by albinism ? It would make them very pale, their eye color could be explained, and they would get sunburned (which can lead to cancer) very easily (not to the point where they start turning into ashes though, that thing is just too magic-y to exist)

- A race of beautiful people doesn't exist or is really boring, deal with it. They may be extremely persuasive or have very refine make-up, clothes and ornament though. (Since they would probably walk in the day competently covered by clothes)

- No extended life, really. They don't need it. They just don't. And I can't image how they would live this long. They should have a shorter life if you really want to be logic.

Now about the character :

- Really powerful Hinata-like feeling. (Being weak, brother better than her, born in a very conservative and strange clan.

- Submissive characters bore me, but that's just me. So don't take that argument into account if you want to keep that vibe.

- SUMMON BATS ? Like real bats ? Wow, what a time to be alive.

- Weak quirks and no real scars from her background. She never rebuilt herself from what was done to her, how can she be so independant.

- Last member of clan X, Now she is Sasuke too. And it's oddly convenient.

- Overall kinda Marie Sue

What I would suggest :

- Reduce the number of dramatic event that happens around her. Leave only one or two. Now she just seem cliché, a "I'm just a poor poor girl, I want some love but at the same time I reject everyone." I've seen hundreds of those characters and they are boring to play with, they just never act or only complain or look sad all the time.

- Change the clan specs

- Make her resist, fight and not flee all the time. She has no way to justify her powers for now (No way but the op clan she is the last member of, which is pretty boring)

Here is what I can tell.

I think you can make a great character but this one feel way too cliché to me.

Good length and good text quality though, we understand what she has undergo, the form is good but the content is to be worked on.

Good luck ! ;D

I really appreciate your honest feedback and am very grateful that you did so respectfully! I would just like to state, without teying to defend the character too much, that I did keep this fairly vague and that I did design it with express purposes in pairing it with a specific character in roleplays, so it would be used for casual use unless the express interest is involved. In no way is she meant to romance everyone she comes across with these physical attributes, it is only to make her seem innocent as a mercenary. Also, when I was designing the clan, I was going for them having evolved with their summons which are vampire bats, and it's not uncommon for clans with strong ties to animals or summons to have similarities and abilities that mirror those creatures. Albinos are naturally sensitive to light and most cases of severe photosensitivity do cause bad burns. Of course I enhanced this for the supernatural aspect and decided that in the Narutoverse supernatural legends had to come from somewhere right? 

Going back to it being vague, I did say that she is the last of her clan, but say that because it is what she herself/others believe and how it was reported at the time of the innocent. She 'could' very well have relatives out there she hasn't seen or that people believe is dead ;)  I like plot twists like that to stay a surprise. 

Though I designed the clan as a source of the vampire lore in the Narutoverse, I did try to tone it down to avoid making them too unrealistic and otherworldly. Which is why holy artifacts are useles, they aren't these manifestations of an evil spirit. This is also why they aren't immortal. The lifespans are lengthened but only because of slowed aging, and so long as they are either burned or they're vital organs are destroyed or wounded fatally ( heart, brain, lungs ) they die like anything else. They are limited in jutsu and no member of the clan is gifted with anything except basic attacks, otherwise being entirely taijutsu reliant. I admit to making her special for giving her a way to overcome the light under the right circumstances and making a rare family ability come into play as far as jutsu goes.

I am constantly trying to revise characters and I will try to keep in mind specific suggestions. I will say that I want to keep her personality the same though, because I believe having someone of natural gentle nature who came from childhood violence and nobility of sorts would become how she is due to other undisclosed background I kept anonymous. As she wants to stay kind but her temper is brought out by things that remind her of her family that treated her so wrong. Wisdom comes with years and she isolates herself because she believes the only ones she could spend a lifetime with are dead. 

Again, thank you for your respect and honesty and I do hope you take my words as such as well. I am merely sharing my thought processes for the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back