Music Music (or genres) you listen to while writing?

mammon.

𝘴𝘒π˜ͺ𝘯𝘡-𝘭π˜ͺ𝘬𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘩𝘒𝘷π˜ͺ𝘰𝘳
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Usually whenever I write a response or a starter (or anything, really), I pull up my trusty lo-fi playlist on Spotify and it always gets the gears a-turnin'! Sometimes it's hard for me to write without it. Dunno why the inspo rolls in better when I have my tunes on.

So it made me wonder... is anyone else the same way? Do you have any favorite genres, or even a specific song, that you like to write to? Whether it's just RP, or writing for an essay, or your novel -- anything! I wanna know what hits the writing switch for you guys!

I listen to a lot of different music, when I'm writing. Sometimes it's anime soundtracks, sometimes it's K-Pop, other times it's ballads, then at times it's J-Rock/J-Pop and of course, some really good eletronica music (i.e. Daft Punk and/or Skrillex). But those are just a few genres, I enjoy when I'm writing. :) I think the music that inspires me and/or fires me up the most, when I'm writing (although it rotates) is different K-Pop songs and sometimes hip-hop. I have a wide variety of music, I listen to lolz! ^_^

Lately, Danny Elfman's "Alice In Wonderland (2010)" score has been really inspiring me. :) So, I recommend that score, for those who haven't heard it already. But it's not obligatory. Those are my genres! ^_^

I listen to a lot of different music, when I'm writing. Sometimes it's anime soundtracks, sometimes it's K-Pop, other times it's ballads, then at times it's J-Rock/J-Pop and of course, some really good eletronica music (i.e. Daft Punk and/or Skrillex). But those are just a few genres, I enjoy when I'm writing. :) I think the music that inspires me and/or fires me up the most, when I'm writing (although it rotates) is different K-Pop songs and sometimes hip-hop. I have a wide variety of music, I listen to lolz! ^_^

Lately, Danny Elfman's "Alice In Wonderland (2010)" score has been really inspiring me. :) So, I recommend that score, for those who haven't heard it already. But it's not obligatory. Those are my genres! ^_^
Oh my gosh, that's one of my favorite scores from one of my favorite movies! Awesome!!! <3

i also listen to a lot of more vibey music. if i'm just perusing forums or writing a casual reply, i usually listen to the indie pop/alt pop (also classified as "anti-pop" by spotify) , with artists like rex orange county and zack villere. other times, mainly when i'm writing longer, more detailed responses, i'm listening to lofi hiphop! (most commonly associated with the 24 hour chilledcow stream on youtube). i recommend this genre a lot for studying, relaxing, or making edits and such.
on another side of the edm spectrum, i really like indietronica!! odesza is one of my favorite artists ever!

i also listen to a lot of more vibey music. if i'm just perusing forums or writing a casual reply, i usually listen to the indie pop/alt pop (also classified as "anti-pop" by spotify) , with artists like rex orange county and zack villere. other times, mainly when i'm writing longer, more detailed responses, i'm listening to lofi hiphop! (most commonly associated with the 24 hour chilledcow stream on youtube). i recommend this genre a lot for studying, relaxing, or making edits and such.
on another side of the edm spectrum, i really like indietronica!! odesza is one of my favorite artists ever!
Never heard of indietronica before! Totally gonna check that out right now! ^^

It depends. Usually I listen to alternative, indie or folk. My favorites at Laura Marling, Lana Del Rey and Florence + The Machine.

I have a whole playlist full of energetic tunes to listen to, but I also like listening to this really nice mix I found that's mainly folk music! Mumford and Sons + Kaleo are two of my favorite bands to listen to when I want to write!!

If and when I listen to music as I'm writing, there's usually not a certain genre I'll stick to, but rather I opt for anything that's a bit calmer or that doesn't have too much going on lyrically (songs that have too much going on stress me out when writing). A technique I also often employ is listening to music that has a similar mood or tone as the scene I'm trying to write. Doesn't matter what genre. Musical scores from movies and shows that are set in the same period, or that have the same tone I'm trying to convey in a particular scene are always a good option. Also, I know a lot of people just don't like classical, but I have found it is wonderful when I'm writing.

Usually whenever I write a response or a starter (or anything, really), I pull up my trusty lo-fi playlist on Spotify and it always gets the gears a-turnin'! Sometimes it's hard for me to write without it. Dunno why the inspo rolls in better when I have my tunes on.

So it made me wonder... is anyone else the same way? Do you have any favorite genres, or even a specific song, that you like to write to? Whether it's just RP, or writing for an essay, or your novel -- anything! I wanna know what hits the writing switch for you guys!

Honestly, I can't write with music in the background. I tend to block the world out and music is just a distraction because in my head, it's there when the only thing that needs to be there are the words my brain is going to allow my fingers to produce. Like, I even get super pissed if I happen to be in a writing mood and someone has the audacity to be playing music. I can deal with chatter just a little bit because the voice in my head overpowers that, but music is a no no. Plus, I'm gonna wind up singing along and then that'll be the end of all of my hard work and concentration.

The OST from Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Though sometimes whenever I get in the more calm mood, Halo: ODST's music is quite good for a good calm down from an intense moment.

I wrote this about what I listen to when writing for Poison Ivy a while ago.

I find it somewhat ironic how, in order to write for a character who literally embodies nature, I have to drown myself in synthetic beats and echoey modulars. Something about the intricate, quick, syncopated rhythms of IDM and trip-hop get me into the head of such a cold, calculating villain. The way I see it, Ivy is on a completely different plane of thinking compared to normal humans (different, not higher). That notion probably came from Lovecraft or Ashton Smith, but still, I think it a) makes sense, given her connection to the Green and b) makes her a far more interesting character. However, there is still an undeniable human element to Ivy, an element that (to me) she is somewhat ashamed of. Oddly enough, finding music with detached instrumentals but impassioned vocals is not hard.

In my humble opinion, no one is better at this than Thom Yorke, the singer/lyricist/guitarist of Radiohead. However, I draw from his solo work and especially his side project, Atoms for Peace. The first half of their first album, Amok, has soundtracked the writing of The Queen of Limbs and the majority of Bloom. Radiohead’s more experimental work, IE Kid A, A Moon Shaped Pool, and The King of Limbs (I’m creative) have a solid spot here as well. I noticed that a hard underlying aspect of most of these composition were density layered and complex drum tracks, so naturally I went searching for similar sounding songs. Not only did this open me up to the back catalogues of IDM artists like Aphex Twin and Dntel (who I was already a fan of) but the wide genre of trip-hop. Especially Massive Attack and Portishead . The revolving door of guest artists Massive Attack employs makes it hard to distinguish a favourite record, but for Ivy, Mezzanine is hands down my go-to choice. Portishead, on the other hand, is more mixed. Their first album (which is among my all-time favourites) only occasionally creates my desired β€˜Ivy vibes.’ Their comeback effort from 2008 is more up my ally.

I can only really listen to classical or just plain instrumental music while writing or reading. Stuff with actual singing distracts me lol.

I find it kinda hard to find the balance- personally, I am not a huge fan of using those chill playlists like lo-fi for rping (i use it for studying, though :D ), but anything too energetic and loud tends to distract me, so as a "solution" I put my playlists on shuffle and just skip anything that's (too) distracting.

I rarely listen to music while writing because it's distracting. But if I do, it's usually something instrumental. Or music with lyrics I don't know by heart *so that I didn't start singing it in my head because that is super distracting*.

I often use soundtracks from my favourite games.

Usually I listen to what the character I'm writing likes, or whatever suits the theme. That or metal.

All the anime/video game soundtracks for me as well. Heck when I'm drawing, magical girl music helps! XD or the hidden gems such as Alan Walker or the Fat Rat is good too. Or even the Rock Diamond.

Usually I listen to whatever I have on at the time, since it's rare that I use the internet without an album playing in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back