• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Multiple RP Owners/Authors

Erica

Shiny Browncoat
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm not sure if this is currently possible and I'm just missing it.

Is it possible for two members to have author permissions on a RP? This would be useful when two or more players are conspiring on world creation and/or setting definition for a RP. Otherwise, one person has to post all updates.

I'm not sure if this would be useful to others, but thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Hmmm. A neat idea but one that may be costly to create. Thinking technically I see the following problems

1. Author rights are pretty basic unless you are a VIP (really the reason most people want it).
  2. We use a custom system that creates 3 threads. The permissions would have to be specific to those threads.
  3. Sometimes "too many hands in the cookie jar" can be a bad thing. Allow me to use my staff as an example. Although we are all staff & our mission is to maintain this site & it's members, not everyone has the same ability. It's not because I don't trust them... It's not that at all. The reason is because too many moderators trying to do the same thing will cause problems with the end result.

I see your request a good one but one that I feel a small percentage of our role plays would utilize. What I can do is speak with a contractor, get a price & from there I will do a cost analysis (is it worth the price).

RpNation members, please fee free to weigh in & discuss. The more the merrier.

I do believe it is a good idea as while it is true it would only be a small part of the RPN's RP, it would still be very useful to those who dual or more wield RPs. As said the biggest advantage is for those with VIP.

So maybe it could be a VIP thing, only VIPs can allow another member to be a co-author as one might have it. Might that help things at all Ace?

Also if you worry that not everyone should have all the same powers, maybe make the co-author simply not have as much control as the main author, but still enough to be useful.

However as you stated the most important thing is the cost and is it worth it, but I personally feel that it might be a useful tool to have if possible and not too expensive. Anyway, that is my 2 cents....

I second this statement. I can't speak for the site or the cost of the feature but I think allowing co-authors on a role play is a great idea. After all, role play is about collaboration.

Thanks for considering it. I am curious as to whether anyone else would find this useful, either.

I don't know if it would be simpler, but an alternate approach might be to allow only VIPs to give another member "editor" permissions on the individual threads they own. I am not sure of the mechanics behind the scene, but if the RP Overview is essentially another post/thread, this might simplify the coding required. It would be more work for the RP creator, because (s)he would need to change the permission on each area within the RP, but if it makes it easier/cheaper to code, it might be a thought.

Thanks again for always being willing to entertain suggestions. As always, you rock.

Actually it would be wiser to require editing permissions for each area. If I had a Co Author I wouldn't want them editing the RP Overview, for example. But sign ups RP, and OOC would be great. In essence the VIP would be giving a limited VIP status to another member. Nice idea if the cost or requirements aren't too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back