• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom moved

cwosont

Supporter
Roleplay Availability

• intro

the summoning

sleep token

opening.

L
    os Angeles. The city of hope. Some people dream of it, others have lived here their entire lives. The blinding lights have dulled for them, but those who have fought for their place in this city find hope in the neon. As bodies flood the streets day in and day out, they strive to become something more than just a speck in the universe. They want to be seen and to be heard. To prove that their life has meaning. Some of them want to be models or actors, others lawyers or judges. Then there are those with music running through their veins. Those who seek to tell their story to the world through verses or the strum of a guitar. They aren’t the first, and they won’t be the last. Their dreams may never come true, but they’ll never give up the chance.

deathlore
    After convincing THE RELIABLE and THE HEIR to get the band back together, THE FIRECRACKER arrived in Los Angeles with the others in tow. With the first step out of the way, it was time to find another bassist to replace THE DESERTER. A small handful of potential candidates were discovered by the band, but it was THE HEIR who found THE BABY. A full morning of auditions is nearly coming to a close. Thus far they have seen four bassists play, now it’s time for THE BABY.

mindrot
    Just as THE STORYTELLER said seven years ago, MINDROT is on its way to making it big. They’ve amassed quite a following since arriving in Los Angeles and with THE SNAKE’s help, they’ve found a bassist who will take the band just as seriously as everyone else. THE DESERTER has been with MINDROT for a year now. Together, the four of them pour heart and soul into their music. Now it’s time for them to be properly recognized for it. MINDROT has gathered in a photography studio to do an interview and shoot with Millennium Magazine.

intro

cast

i need your love,

i'm a
broken rose

time

11am

date

thursday, october 5th

studios

status

open

lore

ooc

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

start of something big...

"Welcome to Millennium Magazine, my name is Rei. I'm the head writer assigned to your interview. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone,”
Rei greeted the band,
”Please, take a seat anywhere you'd like.”
There were two plush, black loveseats, and two white chairs accompanying them. Once everyone was settled, Rei set down her phone to record the interview before flipping open a small notebook.

”We'll be starting off with questions for the entire band, then once we're done with those we'll move onto individual questions. To start, I'd like to ask what inspires you as musicians? And how has that inspiration brought you all together?”
Wearing a loose-fitting, white tank top couple with ripped black skinny jeans, Kai sat himself down on one of the love seats. It was evident in the way he was subtly fidgeting with his bracelets and picking at his nails, that he was practically bursting with energy.

"Thank you for having us.."
Kai's smile was bright, his excitement melding well with his nerves.
"What inspires me, personally, are my bandmates, and the outdoors."
Kai let out a laugh,
"Sounds kind of cheesy, but working with bandmates as talented as these guys really pushes me to bring my best work to the table. Knowing that I can count on them to put their all into what they love is what drew me in, for sure."
He finished with a genuine smile, turning to look at said bandmates to see what they would say.

It didn't take long for Leo to sit near Kai, occupying a white chair. He was wearing loose, black, washed out jeans with rips at the knees, coupled with a black button up shirt tucked in at the front. Leo also wore his current go-to purple jacket, accessorized with silver chain necklaces on his neck and on his belt, matching its silver buckle. And of course, black combat boots.

Leo smiled as the reporter asked the first question,
"We all really appreciate being here, it means a lot to us."
he said, looking to his fellow band mates more just making sure no one seemed to be too nervous before continuing.

"Personally, music has always been part of my life for me, can't live without it. I believe everyone has the potential for music. I like to know what's on people's mind and figure out how that might translate into music. I think in a way, we all inspire each other coming from different walks of lives and that stirs up this boundless energy in us that inspires us to play together and see what we can make. and that's a big part of how we ended up together. A shared insatiable passion for music."
He leaned back into the chair, not appearing to be nervous at all, stopping himself before he went on a tangent about how music brings people together.

A stark contrast to the polite excitement, Misael wore a tight-lipped smile—the ones receptionists did—as they took their seats. He took to one of the white chairs, scooting it a tiny bit away to where he felt comfortable. Since it was really just them & one other, his usual frown & leg-bounce set in.

Easily though, his switch flipped in the little lull after Leo, figuring it his turn. He began flippantly,
"Mm, what he said. We do music 'cause we like music."

Sitting forward, he went on with practiced charm,
"What it really is... is the fans.. You,"
he said toward the phone.
"Whoever reads this; y'all keep me—uh—us going."
Content with what he'd said, he smiled & fell back into his seat.

Neo shifted in his seat, listening to the question and letting the others go first. While waiting, the singer flashed a charismatic smile, despite hating these kinds of interviews and talk shows. Once everyone answered, he spoke up,

”What inspires me as a musician? I would say many things. Emotions, relationships, friends, family, a lot goes into a music. That’s what makes it so special at least to me. I think it also brings the rest of us together cause we all have our own individual reasons to create music. As a band tho we create music for our fans as others have said.”
The male said not wanting to repeat too much of what was already said.

new person, same old mistakes

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: Anxious

OUTFIT: Normal clothing

two
INTERACTIONS: Lucas, Taro

MENTIONS: (Kinda) Wren
two
two
TL;DR: Alec reflects while waiting for the last person to audition.
two
Alec

Alec watched the door click shut as the previous auditioner left the room, then promptly pressed the clipboard in his hands to his face, groaning loudly into it. The small cramped community center auditorium that they'd managed to rent out for a few hours echoed the groan back to him from his position on the stage. Beams of sunlight came through some of the small windows that lined the top of the room, cutting through the motes of dust that floated in the air and illuminating the empty seats in front of the stage. The room did little to cut out the sounds of traffic outside, the almost constant sound of tires on asphalt and honking horns.

"Isn't L.A supposed to be filled with… I don't know, struggling artists trying to make a name for themselves?" He grumbled, pulling the clipboard to look down at the single sheet of paper he had attached to it. A copy of the ad they’d put out was attached at the top, a list of all of the people who had reached out to them hand written at the bottom, all of the names striked out except for the last one, written with a question mark next to it. "It’s like they didn’t even look at the ad at all, some of them didn’t even know the songs we’d requested."

He took a look out towards the empty auditorium seats that only reminded him of his new empty apartment, reminded him of those early high school days, and fell quiet for a moment as the panic he’d been trying to hide since arriving in L.A threatened to claw its way out. He’d dragged Lucas and Taro out here on a dream, thinking that it would be the best place to finally get started, to actually get their band out there, but since arriving all they’d been greeted with was an apparent lack of fitting bassists and, at least in Alec’s case, expensive apartment costs. He was so sure that if they could just find the right person, then they’d be able to make it big.

He yanked on either side of his leather jacket, rolling his shoulders to shake off the building dread. No matter what, they were here now, and he knew better than to go down without a fight. Breathing deeply through his nose, he turned to look at the other two, grinning. “We have this place for another 30 minutes, and one more guy on the list. I say once we’re done, we go get the worst burgers or whatever we can find and go play some actual fuckin’ music, yeah?”

As he looked over at Lucas, he felt the slight twinge of guilt hit him that wouldn’t go away since they’d started talking again. He knew it had been his own stupidity that had pushed his best friend away and he was glad that Lucas was here now, still willing to give this a chance, but there was still that embarrassment that he had acted the way he had since… “The last guy’s the one you were talking about right? You think he’s gonna show?” He sat on one of the stools the nice lady from the community center had provided for them, putting both of his feet up on the bar under him and bouncing his leg in an attempt to let out some of his energy and anxiety.
Breathe it in
All the madness around you
Feelin' like it's the end of days
code by valen t.

♡ THE RELIABLE
;; 𝔱𝔞𝔯𝔬 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞

It had only been a few hours since the auditions began, but the only thing that Deathlore had been able to evaluate was which bassists had the most out of tune guitars.

“So, that audition was… something.” Taro began with a quirk of his brow. He looked towards his bandmates with a small smirk on his face-- one of reassurance in a subtle attempt to lighten the mood, but his impatience was evident in the way he fiddled with his pencil, spinning it between his fingers like he was drumming in the air.

The drummer understood his friends’ frustration. So far, the auditions had been a letdown; It was harder than anticipated getting the word out about their tryouts, and very few bassists had actually shown up. Their indifference was palpable, completely oblivious to the hard work and synergy needed to build a successful band. To put it simply, it was a shitshow.

”At least the last guy had cool shoes.” Taro mused, kicking his feet up on the table, his thick combat boots took up most of the space, no doubt annoying his members. "Not as cool as mine though." He let himself lean back in his chair, folding his arms behind his head in a relaxed state as he thought about their day. The casual tilt of his head and the languid sprawl of his limbs suggested an indifference that masked the growing vexation inside him. Los Angeles was a second chance for them, a place where they could turn their aspirations into reality. Yet in this vacant room, surrounded by empty seats, with nothing but the sound of the uncaring city outside— their dreams seemed more elusive than ever. Admittedly, Taro wasn’t as driven as his friends, but he knew how much it meant to them. He too, was crushed by the turnout of their auditions, but mainly he was disappointed for Alec.

Taro’s gaze followed Alec’s to the clipboard, where the list of names lay. Most were marked out already, remnants of failed auditions. Only one name remained, It held a promise of possibility but also uncertainty. When he looked back at Alec, he was glad to see that the other man was now smiling.

“We have this place for another 30 minutes, and one more guy on the list. I say once we’re done, we go get the worst burgers or whatever we can find and go play some actual fuckin’ music, yeah?”

“Hell yeah.” Taro replied with a lazy grin of his own, pumping his fist in the air. His gaze strayed over to the ceiling as Alec turned to Lucas, asking about the last name on their list. He too, was curious about who this mysterious bassist was. It was strange at first, the idea of taking a new member and filling the void left by the departure of their old one. Taro supposed it was only normal, but sometimes he wondered if that's how Alec thought of the whole situation-- filling a void. The drummer mentally dispelled that thought and turned to Lucas instead, grinning and pretending their relationship wasn't as strained as it was.

Taro had some reservations about picking a new bassist, but if his bandmate had advocated for him, then he had to be good.

"Let's hope your guy's the one."
coded by reveriee.

Thursday, 05 October

11:11

Reminders

deathlore
bassist auditions

• This was a disaster.

Four bassists had walked through that door, and to Lucas, it felt like four descending notes of disappointment. Each interview had been its own form of torture, a painful reminder of the scarcity of genuine talent. By the time the fourth candidate had left, Lucas was ready to go home. Except, he didn’t know where ‘home’ was. Los Angeles was still unfamiliar, a city of bright lights and dreams he hadn't quite grasped. Reno, once a familiar refuge, had lost its luster. Seoul, with its suffocating responsibilities, was an option he couldn't bear to entertain. The irony of it all was not lost on him.

Now, in a small, empty auditorium flanked by two of his best friends, Lucas supposed, being in the present, listening to failed audition after failed audition was a far better use of his time than worrying about more complicated matters. The guitarist reached for his bottle of water, gulping down the cool liquid as his thoughts lingered on the possibility that he might have been a bit too harsh with the last guy. Perhaps he shouldn't have told him to cut off his guitar strings and use them as shoelaces instead...

Alec’s grumbling made Lucas smile faintly. “That’s the thing though - everyone in LA wants to make a name for themselves. Even people without talent,” he commented, his fingers restlessly toying with the chains around his neck, a nervous habit dating back to his childhood. "Bigger city, more people, more dreams."

As both his friends commented about the new guy he’d recruited, Lucas nodded his head. "Yeah! He said he'll show," he said, resisting the urge to reach for his phone and check his texts with Wren again for the umpteenth time. "You guys should've heard him that night. He was a bit rough, but the talent is definitely there."

“He’ll be the one,” he affirmed, the words spoken with a quiet confidence. "When have I ever let you guys down?" he added, his gaze flicking away from Alec and Taro to stare at the ceiling instead as he leaned back in his chair, his words a hidden barb. Things have been a bit strained between the three of them since reuniting with the band and coming to LA. Despite not having much contact with either of them for the past year, Lucas would still drop everything for both of them. Yet, he could still feel that there was something underlying their interactions. He didn't have a clue on how to approach it.

Beneath the veneer of certainty however, doubts began to creep in. The disastrous auditions were starting to shake his faith. He remembered that night in the park when Wren had played, filling the air with the deft strums of his guitar. But what if it had all been an illusion? Perhaps, Lucas thought, he’d worn rose-tinted glasses, blinded by his longing to fill that missing spot in their band and to rekindle the music that had once been their shared passion. Perhaps Wren wasn't going to be all that great after all, and all the hype was for naught. Perhaps they'd never find the last member of their band, and they'd never take off, and they'd never -

Lucas shot up from his seat before he started to spiral. "I'll go check outside to see if he's waiting," he announced, before striding outside the auditorium. Empty. The sounds of traffic were his only company. Lucas sighed and took out his phone. The kid didn't owe him anything, and technically, he wasn't late, but man, did waiting around suuuck. Just as he was about to send a text though, his phone pinged and Lucas' eyes lit up at the words. He poked his head back into the auditorium to let Taro and Alec know, "He's on the way! He said to give him a couple of minutes."

lucas park.

© weldherwings.

wren.

The morning had come too soon, light shining through the cracks of a cardboard covered window and onto the baby's face. His head throbbed to the beat of last night's music, mocking Wren as he turned over on a dingy couch and cursed under his breath. The partying he had done the previous night was a blur. At least he would have plenty of time to sleep it off as it would be hours before sundown came along. Even then, he didn't have to hit the streets right away. With this in mind Wren nuzzled his face into the stained cushion, stretching his legs over the edge of the couch before curling back up. One sheep, two sheep, three- wait, what fucking day is it?

Wren shot up, scrambling to find his phone in his jean pockets or squished between the couch cushions to no avail.
"Where the hell is this thing?"
He rolled off the couch to check beneath it. The bassist found it there, just three percent battery left. He hurried to plug it in, relief washing over him when he saw that he still had a couple of hours before his audition. Wren set his phone down and rubbed the heels of his palms into his eyes, massaging away what ache he could from them. The bassist moved to the bathroom and grabbed out a small bottle with a questionable expiration date. Shrugging, he popped two pills into his mouth before dipping down to get a mouthful of water from the sink.

After taking a cold shower, Wren stepped out to examine himself in the dirty mirror. He poked at the rib pressing against his skin before dragged his finger down to his hip bone. Now what was the next step? Clothes, clothes, where were his clean clothes? Wren returned to the living room to rummage through his old backpack, taking out a black t-shirt to sniff before pulling it over his head. Once his jeans and boots were on Wren grabbed his guitar case, slinging it over his shoulder.

Getting used to the smell of urine and vomit on the train had taken time, but after a few months Wren could ignore it just as well as any LA native. He just had to pray to the gods of music that the stench wouldn't linger on his clothes. Once his stop came Wren hopped off, practically skipping as he made his way towards his next method of transportation. Waiting at the bus stop, Wren pulled out a cigarette for himself. He inhaled deeply and let the nicotine soothe his anxiety. It had been a long time since he had been this nervous. Last he could remember, it was the first few times working with his "clients." The bus arrived shortly after he finished his cigarette and dropped him off just two blocks away from his destination. It was a quick walk and Wren a text to Lucas along the way.

lucas!!! today is the day!!! il be their in a couple min!!! im rly excited but also rly nervous..... r your bandmates nice??? i hope they like me im gona try my best!!!

As he approached the bassist could feel his heart thumping in his chest, hands growing clammy with each step. He spotted a man standing outside of the building and broke out into a grin, impulsively running across the street to reach him.
"Lucas, it's me!"
He called out, coming to a clumsy stop in front of the other.

Lucas grinned. "Hey, you made it!"

"Wow, a real life musician. You look just as cool as I remember, man. I'm gonna hug you, okay? I'm really happy and excited to be here,"
He bulldozed through his greeting. Holding open his long arms, Wren wrapped his arms around the other and gave a firm squeeze before letting him go.

"Is okay if I smoke one, before we go inside?"
He asked, pulling out a slightly squashed carton of cigarettes.
"I've never auditioned for anything before, so I'm super nervous. This is so cool though, did you guys rent a room and everything? That must mean you're the real deal, I can't believe it,"
he babbled on, a slight tremor in his hands as he tried to light his cigarette.

"Yeah, go ahead. You don't need to be nervous, it's just me and my friends. I think you'll be fine. Alec and Taro are nice." Lucas responded, offering his own light.

"Have you um, had a lotta other people come in today to audition?"

"Just four others. They kinda sucked. You'll blow them out of the park for sure," The heir assured, giving Wren a thumbs up.

Following Lucas inside after his smoke, Wren stared wide-eyed at Alec and Taro once he saw them. They both looked equally intimidating and cool. The Instagram pictures didn't do them justice. Wren tripped as he approached the stool sitting in the middle of a small stage. He awkwardly cleared his throat and unzipped his case to pull out his bass. After plugging it in, he stood in front of the stool with his hands gripping the neck of the guitar.

"Uh, so um, yeah! Hi! I'm uh, Wren... and I'm here to audition! Obviously, I guess. So... here is the first song you guys requested! Yeah!
The baby cleared his throat again and sat down. His fingers trembled as stuffed his hand into his pocket for his pick. Wren quickly realized he didn't have it. Shit, shit, shit. It was okay, he could do without it. That's how he learned to play, anyway. He just totally looked stupid, but that was okay.

Heart thundering in his chest, Wren began playing the first song. He was sloppy at first. Fuck, he hated how nervous he was. The further into the song he got, however, the more confident Wren became. He really did love playing the bass. As the first song came to a close, he stole a quick glance up at the band.

"That was the first one! Uh, yeah. I'll just, um, play the second now!"

The second song started off better. Still, he could hear his own mistakes. It made his cheeks burn with shame to know he was fucking this audition up so bad. He really, really hoped Lucas wasn't realizing what a massive mistake offering him a chance was. Fuck, fuck. He still had one more song. He could do this.

"Um, I know the third song is my choice. I did, y'know, choose it, but... It's uh, actually one of your songs? I found this video on your YouTube from a couple years ago? I uh, hope that's okay. I kinda feel like it's always awkward when people on American Idol like, play the judge's song, right? But this is also kinda different, maybe..."

Wren wiped the sweat from his brow, cleared his throat again, and started playing his final song.

creep

radiohead

♡coded by uxie♡

two
INTERACTIONS: Lucas, Taro, Wren

MENTIONS:
two
two
TL;DR: Alec listens to Wren's audition.
two
Alec

Lucas’ barb about not letting them down made the twinge of guilt Alec was already feeling grow barbs in his gut, but he bit it down as he let out a barking laugh, grinning at Lucas, “You’re right,” he said, though the words sounded a little flat. He inwardly winced as a silence fell between them all, feeling jittery to break whatever tension was between them. Just as he opened his mouth to try and move on, Lucas shot up to go check outside and Alec snapped his mouth shut, watching as the door clicked shut with an echo behind him.

Alec repositioned his feet up onto the table with Taro’s, gently knocking the tips of his shoes against the bottoms of the other’s shoes, careful not to scuff Taro’s with his own. The entire situation was wearing him down thin, and he wasn’t sure if the ache he felt was because he missed what was, or if he yearned for what could have been. It was almost as if he was struggling to remember what their dynamics had been before that person had left. Everything he did, no matter how genuine his actions were, felt like he was putting on a show.

Perhaps he needed to take a few days to relax.

Perking up as the door opened again, he turned to look as Lucas came in with a new person. Alec put on an easy smile, pulling his feet back to tuck them onto the ring around the stool beneath him, giving a quick wave as he mentally sized up the guy heading towards them. He didn’t want to rule the guy out immediately, especially since Lucas had been the one to tell him and Taro about him, but the last few auditions had left him jaded enough that he couldn’t bring himself to get excited about their last auditoner. He waited for the guy to get set up before he moved to give his little introduction like he had for the last few hours, but blinked as the guy just barreled into his own introduction, getting right to it.

Though he seemed a little shaky at first, Alec couldn’t help but watch as the guy, Wren, ripped out the first song and it was actually… good. It wasn’t perfect, but that hadn’t been what they’d been looking for anyways, and he could see why Lucas had personally brought this guy in. He nodded along as the bassist strummed, tapping the back of his foot against the stool bar. He barely had time to fully register the end of the first song when the guy immediately went in for the next one, and he could feel the confidence building, passing through any slip ups with ease.

He felt the excitement build within him again for the first time that day, but as Wren pulled out the last song, the excitement faded slightly to something bittersweet. He’d been avoiding listening to a lot of their old music, and as he listened to the chords that he, Lucas, Taro and… his throat felt tight, but it still made him happy to hear the song, to which he quietly sang some of the parts to, nodding along with him. As the final chords hit, he looked between Taro and Lucas and couldn’t help but let out a huff of a laugh that shook his shoulders, “Fuckin’... save the best for last did we?” he asked the other two before looking back at Wren, “That was some good shit. You ever played in a band before?”

Alec pushed himself off his stool, holding out his hand towards Wren in a handshake. “Didn’t get a chance for introductions before. I’m Alec. Good to see some talent in this place.” He couldn’t help but sound a little… off, to which he chalked up to having been blind sided by the last song, that bittersweet feeling mixing in with everything else he had going on, “Sure wish you had been here earlier. We had some… interesting auditions before you showed up.”
Breathe it in
code by valen t.

> misael RUÍZ . . .

Rei nodded. "At the rate you boys are going, I don't doubt that you'll be announcing these shows sooner than you think.

"Last question before we move onto individual interviews,”
she began, “Ideally this article and all the other work you have been doing to put your name out there will help Mindrot continue to grow in popularity, but as we all know you guys already have a dedicated fanbase.

"What is one message you would give to them? The fans that have been with you before Hollywood.”

Kai shifted in his loveseat, knowing that this was a question better suited for the other bandmates. However, he couldn't miss this opportunity to finally speak directly to the fans.
"As a newer member of Mindrot, I'd like to just say that I hope I make you guys proud. I'll do my best to make our shows the best they've ever been." He let out a chuckle, secretly wondering how fans would take his energetic prescience on stage. Surely they'd like it... right?

This question caused Leo to lean forward, eyes darting to Kai as he spoke first.
"All I can think to say is: thank you for helping us grow. We really couldn't make it this far without you all. So, thanks for sticking with us even as things change and as we grow. Oh and, play nice with new fans."
Another cheesy response but it really was all Leo could think of to say, his legs bouncing slightly. Leo was much more nervous about the individual interviews and what he was going to be asked about.

Neo thought of back to the days when they were playing gigs in small venues or just playing in the band room and students would come and listen while doing other things.
”To all the fan who were hear before Hollywood thank you, from the people who listened at small venues to the students who put up with us rocking out. I appreciate that you deemed us worthy. To all the new fans. Enjoy the vibes and support your community.” Neo wanted to sound genuine as possible with his response with this particular question. He adored his fans and wanted his fans to know how he felt.

While the others spoke, Misael took to holding his chin between knuckle & thumb. They'd only been asked this question—Anything you want to say to the fans?—once before; it was worse the second time around, Misa thought. If only for a moment before he turned to the ceiling to rack his head, his face fell in hearing that last group question.

"A message for the day ones..."
Misa mused aloud when his turn came around.
"Probably like... 'You got us this far. Stick around 'cause we're just getting started.' Somethin' like that,"
he smiled.

hundido

♡coded by uxie♡

♡ THE RELIABLE
;; 𝔱𝔞𝔯𝔬 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞
Doubts, like stubborn weeds, crept into Taro’s mind as each painful second drifted by. Time passed much too slowly for his taste, as he and Alec waited for the last auditionee.

If it wasn’t for his loud thoughts, Taro felt that he’d fall asleep; He jolted upright when he heard the door finally creak open, pulling his legs off the desk to settle properly into his chair.

In walked Lucas, with a tall lanky fellow he supposed was the newcomer. When the new guy tripped on stage, Taro felt a pang of pity. It was clear that he was nervous, which Taro understood— but nerves could easily hinder one’s performance. Still, they had promised Lucas that they’d give this guy, Wren, a fair shot, so he pushed his skepticism aside and decided to focus on the audition.

When Wren first started to play, Taro’s heart almost sank; The first few notes were hesitant, shaky, but then the music shifted as the bassist settled into the music, his nerves seemed to dissipate. Taro found himself bopping along to the beat; By the time Wren had finished two songs, Taro was pleasantly surprised to find himself getting excited for the third and final song.

The beat of one of Deathlore’s very own songs blasted from the bass player. Taro still listened to their old music, even after they fell apart; Nostalgia flooded him each time but their songs would always be fresh in his mind, as if they had recorded it just yesterday.

As Wren continued to strum, Taro’s doubts were replaced by a growing sense of ease. He exchanged a look with his other members. This was exactly what their band had been missing all along. A genuine smile plastered on his face when the performance came to an end. Taro stood up from his chair to clap, and joined Alec on the stage as they made their introductions.

“Taro.” He said, adding onto Alec’s introduction. He offered a nod and a small smile to Wren, in lieu of a more enthusiastic greeting. He didn’t want to overwhelm the new guy, and looked to his other members as they did the rest of the talking.
coded by reveriee. (art by @st31010 on twit)

Thursday, 05 October

Reminders

deathlore
bassist auditions

• Lucas was not a religious man. But as the minutes dragged on, he found himself silently offering a prayer to whatever God watched over him, so that Wren would show up earlier. Miraculously, someone seemed to heed his unspoken request, and shortly, Wren appeared, a bundle of jittery energy. The two barely exchanged greetings before Wren had enveloped him in a lanky embrace. Lucas's eyes widened in mild surprise, but he returned the warm hug with a gentle chuckle, offering soothing pats on Wren's back as the nervous musician rambled anxiously.

A grin tugged at Lucas's lips. The poor guy's hands trembled as he attempted to light a cigarette, prompting Lucas to retrieve his own lighter and help him with the task. The last time Lucas had been this nervous for anything himself was... well... never, really. So, he couldn't really relate, but he thought it was adorable nonetheless.

Ushering the bassist inside the auditorium, Lucas introduced him to Alec and Taro with a simple, "This is him, the guy I told you two about," before taking his place beside Alec. He did his best to hide a wince when Wren stumbled but silently encouraged him with his eyes, conveying a wordless message: You've got this.

That night in the park, Lucas had witnessed a spark of something special in Wren. And he could only hope that Alec and Taro would see it too...

Wren did not let him down.

The first two songs were a little rough around the edges, but Lucas had already warned them of that in advance. Despite the mistakes in the strumming, and the few misplaced notes, Wren was still heaps better than the last auditioner they'd had.

But then, when Wren revealed what song he'd chosen for the third, Lucas' heart dropped. Fuck, I should've told him not to play any of our old songs, was his first thought, and he had half a mind to interrupt, to stop Wren from starting to play and dredging up feelings that he had buried a year ago. But Wren was rambling again and began the first few strums, and it was already too late and -

And it was surprisingly okay.

As the familiar chords resonated, Lucas turned his head to look directly at Alec. Is he alright? he wondered, worried about his best friend. But Alec's lips silently mouthed the lyrics and suddenly Lucas' worries melted away, even just a little. If Alec was okay, then perhaps Lucas could be too...

A laugh bubbled from his best friend's lips as Wren concluded the song, the sound ushering a wave of relief through Lucas. Even Taro, who was often the most skeptical of the trio, began to applaud. Lucas joined in, and they all approached Wren, and did their introductions.

"I told you two this kid was the real deal," Lucas declared proudly. Turning to Wren, he continued, "Never doubted you for a second, Wren." Well, he did for maybe a second, but Wren didn't have to know that. Though it wasn't his own audition, a sense of pride swelled within for the bassist. Finally, finally, they had a bassist, a good one at that. He couldn't replace the one they'd lost, but this was a start, right? Lucas could dream again...right?

"So?" Lucas asked, glancing between Alec and Taro. He was pretty sure of their decision. "Wren's joining us for greasy burgers, right?"

lucas park.

© weldherwings.

you're gonna go far, kid !

"Feel free to get comfortable, Kai. I'm going to ask you a handful of questions similar to what we did earlier." Rei offered a reassuring smile. "To start us off, what is an average day like for you as a musician? Do you have any habits or rituals you like to do?"

Kai decided to take her up on her offer, adjusting himself in the seat so that he was fully comfortable, before thinking about her question.
"Hm.. well, I'd like to say that my day is full of crazy plans and full of cool antics but, it mostly starts with me hitting the gym, or, going for a run if that isn't an option. Once I'm back, I usually make breakfast for the guys. They hardly ever get up before me."

Thankfully, it didn't take long for the bassist to get comfortable again, continuing on his answer,
"Afterwards, I'll hang out with the guys. Usually Misa fills us in on news regarding the band.. It's really funny, he gets so serious! You should see the stern look on his face.. priceless."

Kai paused for a moment, making sure he didn't miss any of her questions,
"As far as rituals go, I love to jam, and I'm usually warming up with some of my favorite songs, or even new songs to keep myself sharp. Especially on recording days where bass isn't needed in the studio. Besides playing, though, I'll typically hang around to give feedback on our music. Developing our style and bringing something fun to the table is really important to me."

Rei nodded, jotting down notes. "I'm sure your fans will appreciate knowing you work out and cook," She teased. "Speaking of the band, though. How about any funny or embarrassing stories about your bandmates? I'm sure you've experienced plenty now that it's been a year since you joined."

Kai chuckled at her jokes, impulsively looking down at his lap before scratching the back of his neck sheepishly,
"Ah well, I aim to please."
He looked back up to her as she kept on with a playful smile, before she continued.

At her question, he laughed some more,
"Well, you wouldn't be wrong. I have to be careful though, they may kill me if I say too much.."

He thought for a moment, before a wolfish grin lifted his features,
"Oh man... There was one time Leo had a little bit too much fun at the bar and ended up dancing on the bar like he was in Coyote Ugly.."
He paused, "Unfortunately, the owner didn't see the vision and proceeded to kick us all out. It was fun to see that side of him, cause he's normally the more collected one out of all of us."
He chuckled, before remembering another detail,

"Oh, and Misael and I talked when we were still in high school, so I've got some good photos to use as blackmail. Spoiler, he is completely different now. It's... kinda scary. However, if I showed you, I think he'd strangle me."

"I'll be sure to have my team scour the internet for those photos,"
Rei responded with a wicked grin. "Of Leo and Misael both, actually." She turned set her pen down and continued, "On a more serious note... You're mindrot's newest member. What do you feel you bring to the table for the band?"

Kai took his time to think, knowing that she addressed the slight elephant in the room.
"I'd like to think that I bring lots of energy to the group. I'm very passionate, and good at what I do, if do say so myself."
He laughed at his self-praise,
"I know how that sounds.. but.. I am always looking to push the limits of what the bass can do. I help bring that competitive energy and keep the guys on their toes."

Kai thought some more, reflecting on this bandmates.
"Especially since a few of them are classically trained, I like to challenge that by making them push the boundaries."
He grinned, "And, well, let loose every now and then, you know?"

"I definitely know what you mean. On the flip side, what is an obstacle you've had to overcome since joining the band?"

"Definitely proving myself to the guys and earning their trust."
He was quick to answer, knowing immediately what his biggest obstacle was.
"Being a newcomer to a band that was formed years ago when the members were still just kids, it takes a while to show that you've got your whole heart in it, if not more. These guys love each other and the band. It only makes sense that I'd have to do more than be good at playing bass to really settle in."

He backtracked, suddenly getting nervous,
"Not that they were harsh, or anything! In fact, Leo was really cool with me when I first joined. It just.. took some time and lots of care to prove that I'm in it for more than just a few minutes of fame."

"That's understable. You've clearly earned some of their trust, though. I can see it."
Rei smiled. "Final question. Now that you've come this far... If you could go back and tell yourself from 10 years ago one thing, what would it be?"

Ten years ago. This question made him lean back in his chair, bringing an elbow to the arm of the chair and letting his head fall into the palm of his hand. Ten years ago, he was 12. A year after his father's death, and he was stuck in an entirely different state. He had met Lucas by then. A visible frown fell upon his face, before he lightened up slightly,

"I think... I would tell myself that you can't resurrect the dead. Cherish what you have, and remember what you lost."
He decided to leave it there, before chuckling quietly,

"Sorry if that's a bit somber to end the interview on-"
Kai was met with polite reassurances as the interview came to a close. It was all much less intimidating than he anticipated, but he was ecstatic to stand again after being sat for so long.

hold me like a grudge

♡coded by uxie♡

> misael RUÍZ . . .

"Take a seat wherever you like, Misael, and we will get started." Rei leaned back in her chair and smiled. "Let's start with something easy, shall we? What's the average day like for you as a musician?"

At the mention of something easy, Misael gave a little nod & sat forward to listen to her. In thinking of a response, Misael's eyes searched the warehouse ceiling above with a pleasant smile about him.
"Y'know,"
he started, looking back at her with a little shrug,
"Down the line, I'll have a more exciting answer for you. For now, it's just way more normal than people would expect.

"Ton of emails, for one. Staring at a screen a lot. Like, the music is maybe 10% of the time; the other 90 is just like... setting us up with opportunities to be musicians, you know?"

Rei nodded in understanding. "Someone has to work in the background. I don't think a lot of people realize being in a band is so much more than just the music. I imagine that's what mindrot has found so much success recently, because you do." She paused to scribble. "Next question... What's been one of the biggest obstacles you or the band has had to face since starting mindrot?"

Light laughter bubbled out of the man in hearing the second question. He crossed his arms & sat back, a grin still about him as he commented,
"Goin' straight in, alright."

Still, his leg began to bounce as he went on with his answer just a second later,
"Wouldn't call it an obstacle per se but, uhh... We all had to grow up a lot sooner than, like, maybe we might've had to otherwise? If that makes sense?"

He elaborated,
"Like, we did the band—just—so young. Like, milestones, years; it all just kinda flew by, you know? & it's only now when, like, everything's finally lining up &, like, not entirely an uphill thing, that—me, personally—I just, like, stop & 'whoa, I'm 22.'"

He gave a chuckling sigh & made dramatic motion to shrug out his rambling,
"But yeah. I forgot what I said first, but lemme tell you—the guys might-maybe mention it, if you ask 'em, but this whole thing is just be super fast & super isolating sometimes. You lose connections with people outside of it, if that makes sense. Maybe that's just me. Not an obstacle, though. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat."

"That's a great point, Misael. That's another aspect to music and bands that not a lot of people realize." Rei nodded. "Throughout all of this, what would you say you bring to the table for the band?"

"Hah, okay,"
Misael sat up slightly, a cocked brow about him as he asked, rhetorically,
"Like, honestly? Probably, like... stability—a project manager sort of vibe. My guys don't know how to sign pdfs. Maybe Leo. But even that's, like... pushing it."

Rei smirked. "Good to know. Speaking of your bandmates... How about an embarrassing story for all your fans?"

At the third question, an amused & quirked grin grew at Misa's face, the memory of a particular incident plain on his features. He brought his hand to pinch at his chin as he recalled with a laugh threatening his inflection,
"This one time, we put Leo's like... shampoo dye-thing in the bottle that Neo uses & like... he's got white hair, right? God, he got maaad. I think so, at least. I wanna say he did."

"I wouldn't blame him if he did," Rei laughed, shaking her head. "I hope you took pictures." She leaned forward and continued, "Final question. With all you've achieved these past few years... If you were to talk to your 10-year-old self again, what would you tell him?"

Misael let his grin turn into a comfortable smirk as he nodded,
"Hell yea I did. One of these days, it'll go up: trust."

The next question caught him somewhat off guard.
"Hmm,"
his eyes rolled up again to the pipes above for just a second when his response dawned on him. He wore an agreeable smile as he said,
"'Do this sooner.'"

Rei smiled. "Excellent advice." She scribbled the last of her notes and closed the book in her lap. "Thank you for your time, Misael. I'm sure your fans will appreciate your answers."
"Sure thing,"
he said as he began to stand up. When he did, he gave Rei a little, limp prayer motion & said,
"Thanks again for having us."

hundido

♡coded by uxie♡

wren.

The moment Wren struck his last cord, he shoved his hands in his pockets to keep himself from biting his nails. He stared wide-eyed at the three men in front of him and hoped for a miracle. The huff of laughter that came from one of them- the singer, if he was remembering faces correctly, startled him.

“Fuckin’... save the best for last did we?” Wren blinked in confusion, and then realized the question wasn’t for him. “That was some good shit. You ever played in a band before?”

“Kind of. Not really. Just like, with a couple of friends who didn’t really mean it. I think we practiced once.”
Wren laughed nervously.
“So, uh, more like no, I guess.”

“Didn’t get a chance for introductions before. I’m Alec. Good to see some talent in this place.” Wren grinned and shook Alec’s hand. “Sure wish you had been here earlier. We had some… interesting auditions before you showed up.”

“Oh! Yeah, sorry. I’m really bad at waking up early, my bad,”
Wren answered shyly, grin broadening.

“Taro.”

Wren shifted his gaze.
“Like the milk tea?”
He blurted out.
“Uh, I mean, nice to meet you!”

"I told you two this kid was the real deal," Lucas declared, sparing the bassist. Turning to Wren, he continued, "Never doubted you for a second, Wren."

"So?"
Lucas asked, "Wren's joining us for greasy burgers, right?"

The bassist perked up.
“Greasy burgers? Dude, that sounds so good. I haven’t eaten all morning. Do they have cheese fries? I could kill for some cheese fries right now.”
He paused, eyes flickering towards Taro and Alec.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to talk over you,”
Wren added, grinning sheepishly.
“I just get excited sometimes.”

Blinking in surprise, Wren continued to speak.
“Wait, did the other people get greasy burgers? Probably not, right? That would be a lot of greasy burgers. For you guys, I mean. Unless you just… watch them eat. Um, but I’m guessing you don’t. Does this mean what I think it means?”
Wren bit his lip, unable to say the words. He stared at Lucas helplessly instead.

creep

radiohead

♡coded by uxie♡

two
INTERACTIONS: Lucas, Taro, Wren

MENTIONS:
two
two
TL;DR: Alec listens to Wren's audition.
two
Alec

There was an excitement in the air that was almost tangible as they all came together to eagerly fully welcome the bassist. Alec was so swept up in the emotions of something just feeling fully right, that the second he felt the doubt settle back in like a cold hand across the back of his neck, he wanted to scream at the unfairness of losing the full joy of the situation. Because with the realization that this was it, they’d most likely had found their bassist, came the hard truth that this was the next step for them, and it was a step that would be leaving one of their original members behind. It almost felt as if a part of their dream was missing.

“I think I’d kill for some cheese fries with my burger too, dude,” Alec agreed with Wren, forcing out a huff of a laugh. Though his mind was screaming at him that this guy was just a replacement for what should have been, he felt guilty that he was already thinking of Wren that way. ‘Time,’ he told himself. It had taken him time to get used to the others, even Lucas; it was just the way he dealt with new people. He’d get used to Wren too. And it started with putting his best foot forward in the form of food.

The door to the auditorium clicked open, breaking his thoughts and causing Alec to turn to see who was entering. The head of the nice community center worker who had greeted them on arrival poked into the room, her hand wrapping around the edge of the door to hold it open just enough to still give them some privacy if needed. "Sorry boys, the next group is here for the auditorium. I'm gonna have to kick you out," she said apologetically.

Alec flashed her one of his practiced smiles, nodding, "No problem at all! You couldn't have had more perfect timing." He moved to pick up his clipboard, as well as the couple of water bottles he’d finished off before helping the others with whatever they needed help hauling out of the room to allow for the community center staff to set up for their next appointment.

As they exited the front door to the parking lot, the full sounds of the city hit him as Alec juggled the items in his hands to get to his inside jacket pocket, his hand brushing the half ripped out patch as he tugged the lanyard with his keys attached out. Swinging the keys up and catching them, he pressed the button to unlock his car. The red Ford Escape parked a little ways down from the front door made a beeping noise as the lights flashed, indicating that it was unlocked. It had been a going away gift from his father even though the man hadn’t been thrilled by Alec leaving in the first place. It also served as a reminder that he probably needed to reach out to his dad more often since he couldn’t really pinpoint the last time they had spoken.

“I have room in mine if anyone wants to carpool on the way over. I don’t mind swinging back to pick up someone's car after,” he said over his shoulder as he started walking over to his car, “And does anyone even know any good burger places in the area? I haven’t really been to anything other than the In-N-Out and the Chinese food place by my apartment.”
Breathe it in
code by valen t.

♡ THE RELIABLE
;; 𝔱𝔞𝔯𝔬 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞
“Like the milk tea?”

Taro almost facepalmed at that. The all-too-familiar comparison once irked him, but after repetitive encounters it had simply become something to internally groan about with an expression of amusement on his face. ”Yeah, like the milk tea.” He responded coolly with a smirk.

It was humorous after all. People rarely understood that his name wasn't inspired by the beverage but in fact came from his Japanese heritage, still, the comparison never failed to strike a chord of humour in him.

As the conversation surged with growing energy over the prospect of burgers and a new member, Taro remained silent to let the other men converse. It was a strange concept to realize, knowing that the group was letting someone new into their band. The thought that he should tell Kai about this floated into Taro’s mind— how the former member would react, he wasn’t sure. It had been quite a while since they last talked after all, perhaps he’d be… happy for them.

Taro shelved that thought for later when the community center worker popped in with a click, announcing that it was time for them to leave. He felt the rest of his mind shift into autopilot as he helped the other members pack up— tucking cables safely away and grabbing leftover speakers among other things on the stage.

With the heavy equipment tucked under his arms, he approached the parking lot where Lucas and Alec’s cars were parked. “Yo can one of you guys open up your trunks? This shit’s kind of heavy and I’m not as buff as Ka-“ Taro almost dropped his things at the slip up. “Er, Kyrptonite. That shit’s strong enough to take out Superman.” He coughed at the attempt to cover up his mistake. Not his smoothest recovery that was for sure, but he spoke fast enough that he thought Alec wouldn’t have noticed at the very least.

Loading the supplies into one of the cars, he turned to his members, speaking quickly and perhaps louder than usual. ”Don’t know any good places but going to In-N-Out again wouldn’t hurt right? Could be fun since we’re going with someone new this time.” Taro suggested, motioning to Wren. ”Unless anyone’s got a better suggestion.”
coded by reveriee. (art by @st31010 on twit)

you're gonna go far, kid !

The interview was a success, and it was as if a hefty weight were lifted off of Kai's shoulders. Finally, he could breathe. Now all that was left was a photoshoot. Easy enough, in his eyes. The thought made him smile, remembering the days when he would avoid being photographed as if his life depended on it.

That was long past him now, as he stood with the group, practically bouncing around them with excitement. Time at hair and makeup was spent chatting up the makeup artist who dedicated his time to smoking out his black liner, and adding concealer upon Kai's pale skin. It wasn't long until the group was standing in front of the camera, being directed to pose and have some fun.

The raven-haired bassist grinned,
"Hey, you guys should hold me for a photo! It'll be cute!"
He winked at his newfound friends, knowing that it would earn him a few groans and complaints. Misael muttered an "Absolutely not..." However, he was surprised to find that Leo was on board,

"You know what.. yeah, why not?" Leo's features lifted to match Kai's mischievous grin, looking between the others for approval. "C'mon Misa, it'll be fun! We won't be holding him for too long, anyways.." It didn't take long for the others to reluctantly agree, and soon, Kai was laid on his side, facing the camera while the others wrapped their arms around him to keep him up. Yellow eyes were bright with a mix of surprise and simple impishness. If he were honest, he didn't think his silly idea would get him this far.

He posed by sticking his tongue out and holding up a peace sign with his manicured hands, only to be plummeting to the ground within seconds after the camera flashed. Kai let out a noise stuck between a laugh and a yelp as his ass made contact with the solid ground beneath him.

Collective laughter, including his own, filled the photoshoot,
"You guys could've just told me you were too weak to carry all of this muscle, it's fine.."
He winked, bouncing himself back up to a standing position with ease. These stupid pranks were a pretty normal occurrence within Mindrot, so Kai wasn't exactly shocked to have another one pulled on him now.

hold me like a grudge

♡coded by uxie♡

Thursday, 05 October

Reminders

deathlore
bassist auditions

• Lucas, catching the thread of Wren's excitement and nervous ramblings, felt a pang of nostalgia. The raw enthusiasm reminded him of Deathlore's early days, when even lackluster venues and sparse crowds couldn't dim their excitement for those initial gigs. The memory was a reminder of the unbridled excitement that had defined their musical beginnings, an excitement that, while still present, had undergone subtle transformations over six years of bandhood.

Meeting Wren's eyes with a wide grin, Lucas affirmed, "You're part of the band now," punctuating the declaration with a hearty pat on Wren's back that nearly sent him stumbling. He wasn't sure what else to say to make it official. Were they supposed to draw up a contract? For now, a celebratory lunch would have to do to seal the deal.

With his guitar nestled under his arms, Lucas fell into step behind Alec and Taro as they made their way to the parking lot, where their cars awaited. Taro's slip-up made Lucas flick his eyes between the drummer and Alec. The K-word was still such a sensitive subject around them all. Positioning himself by the front trunk of his Porsche, the guitarist quipped as he carefully stashed his guitar, "Yeah, you give more Lex Luthor vibes. Skinny, balding and emo." They all knew Taro was far from balding but, he couldn't resist teasing the drummer, hopefully distracting them all at Taro's expense.

He took a moment to consider Alec's carpooling suggestion and shook his head. "I'll just drive my car there. I have to head out for a meeting after anyway," said Lucas, the tension in his spine springing back with the 'completion' of the band. He wasn't lying when he said he had to go elsewhere, but if it were old times, he would've said 'fuck it' to his obligations and just hung out with his friends the rest of the day. That was a luxury he couldn't afford anymore.

”Don’t know any good places but going to In-N-Out again wouldn’t hurt right? Could be fun since we’re going with someone new this time. Unless anyone’s got a better suggestion.”

Lucas did have better suggestions, but he wasn't sure if it was in their budget for it. The last time he'd come to LA was for a business meeting where he'd dined at a fancy restaurant with uptight shareholders. So, he only shrugged. "Yeah, In-N-Out's good with me. I'll meet you guys there -"

It was then that he noticed Wren looking at him. The pleading eyes were hard to miss. It reminded Lucas of a puppy. He'd thought Wren would be fine riding with Alec and Taro but maybe since he'd introduced the guy to the band, he felt more comfortable tagging along with him? Well, who was Lucas to say no.

"- and Wren can tag along with me. We're trading guitar tips on the way. Top secret."

Offering a cheeky farewell to Alec and Taro, Lucas declared, "Last one to get there has to pay for everyone!" Accompanying his words with a salute, he then briskly jogged to his car, motioning for Wren to join him.

As the engine roared to life, Lucas tuned into a pop-punk station, filling the car with the energetic beats of random hits. Strapping his seatbelt on, he tapped on the screen to route to the nearest burger joint before he turned to Wren.

"Where are you staying? I can drop you off after burgers too if you want," Lucas asked Wren once had settled. The guitarist's fingers drummed on the steering wheel as he watched Alec and Taro go into Alec's car. Even though he'd issued the challenge, he decided to give them a head start.

"Oh, um, I'm staying in downtown right now. It's okay, though! I know traffic is a bitch on 101 so I can just take the bus."

Lucas shrugged. "I'm heading downtown too, so I wouldn't mind. But if it's easier for you then, sure." He turned towards the bassist with a smile. "I didn't mention this earlier, but thanks for auditioning. You did great," he said. "I think you'll fit in."

Wren didn't know the favor he was doing to Lucas by joining the band - the hopes he was reigniting. Maybe this time it'll stick. Maybe this time it'll be different. A part of Lucas was desperate to hold onto this feeling.

"I'll add you to the group chat. We'll have to schedule jam sessions and figure out how you mesh with all of us playing. It'll be a busy couple of weeks," he continued as he ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Hope your calendar's free."

Wren responded with unabashed excitement, a sheepish grin lighting up his face. "Thanks. I'm really, really excited. I've never done stuff like this legit before, so I'm gonna do my best! And I'll be totally free whenever you guys need me!"

"Just don't be late to rehearsals and you'll be fine," Lucas teased as he navigated his car out of the parking lot, following Alec's vehicle.

It was then that Lucas realized that he didn't know anything about Wren other than the fact that he was a bass player, his first name was Wren and that he lived in LA. He cast a quizzical glance at Wren, his brown eyes narrowing in curiosity. "Hey, did I ever ask you your last name?"

"Funny story, uh, I'm pretty sure I'm related to the dude who makes my bass! Because my last name is Rickenbacker! It was like fate when I got my guitar. I think that's why they picked that one for me."

Lucas flicked his eyes to Wren, studying him briefly before focusing on the road again. The guy didn't visually scream "related to one of the fathers of electric guitar," yet the possibility lingered, considering the vastness of connections in LA. Maybe he was a very distant relative. Grinning, Lucas responded, "So your full name is Wren Rickenbacker? That's sick, dude. I'm envious. Though, I'm more of a Gibson guy myself."

Pulling up to In-N-Out, Alec's car was already parked. Lucas stepped out, greeting his friends with a deadpan voice, "Oh, no, guess I have to pay. Aw shucks."

lucas park.

© weldherwings.

wren.

"Oh, no, guess I have to pay. Aw shucks."

Wren snickered and waved to his two bandmates. It felt so surreal. He was sure he looked like an idiot with how much he was grinning. The bassist stood behind the three of them as they contemplated their order. He could feel his stomach beginning to grumble uncomfortably and hummed under his breath to distract himself from the hunger.

“I'm gonna get animal fries,”
Wren announced with an excited waddle.
“They're my favorite thing about California!”
He turned to Lucas and asked,
"Are you sure you wanna pay? I can totally buy my own!"

"Yeah, I'll pay don't worry about it."

The bassist nodded.
“Okay! I'll get us some, uh, boba next time! We can have taro!”
He exclaimed, flashing the drummer a cheeky grin.

Wren stepped up to order his food and offered to claim a table for the band once he was done. After sitting down, he watched his new friends from afar. His legged bobbed restlessly as he thought of all the cool things he would be able to tell Aspen about once he started playing with them. Another part of Wren couldn't help but think of all the uncool thing he could do to fuck everything up, though. He was already itching for a cigarette and something a little more and it wasn't even late afternoon yet. Wren sighed and ran trembling fingers through his hair. He really, really didn't want to mess things up.

“What days of the week are you guys practicing and stuff?”
He asked a few minutes later, once the food was ready and everyone had sat down.

Taro answered, “Oh we have practice on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.”

“Okay! I work nights, but my schedule is really flexible! I'll always be there!”
Wren promised, wiggling in his seat.
“I'm really, like, excited and everything. If you ever need some screaming, let me know! I've been practicing. It kinda hurts, but I'm not the lead singer so it's not a big deal!”
Wren laughed and took a large bite of his burger.
“Mtotallygongetadeathoretattoo!”

creep

radiohead

♡coded by uxie♡

> misael RUÍZ . . .

While the others got camera ready, a sudden
"oh, hold on"
was heard from the brunette's direction. Seated before a young make-up artist, Misael had urgently sat up as though his car alarm had just gone off. His expression was one of managed shock in seeing the color the make-up artist had pumped onto the back of their hand, before stepping back with a muttered apology.

"Ahaha no, you're good—here,"
Misael dug into the bag he'd earlier set aside & pulled out a travel bottle of his own concealer to hand over, "If you want." & though he'd said that, his near-glower at them left little option: the difference in both products couldn't have been clearer. Content, the sight made a sigh escape Misael's lips as he sat back, chin up, to let her touch him up.

The shoot went about as well as he'd expected, which was to say fine. He'd kept his head toward the camera because to look back at his band meant to find himself irked at their painfully green attempts at modeling. It was in light of Kai's pose suggestion that his practiced mien broke & he'd dead-panned that
'absolutely not.'

In playing pretend with the instruments, Misael took to an honest pose, figuring authenticity while playing would come across best. He'd regret this soon enough when he found himself crowded around the crew's computer, clicking through the latest shots; compared to the rest, he wound up a background character, despite his forward position. The temptation to ask for a retake itched at him, only for him to scratch it with a forced chuckle of a sigh. There'd be other opportunities to look good in front of a camera &, in his humble opinion, it wasn't like he looked bad.

At Leo's comment of them seeming cool, even Misael—for as much as he tried—couldn't resist the dig.

Following Leo's cheek, Misael found it turned at Neo & rolled his eyes at the implication. He pathed with a grin towards the paper roll to retrieve his guitar, calling over his shoulder,
"Hah—keep yapping, Leo. We packing up or..?"

Though not connected to any amp, he plucked out a tiny tune while he looked toward the band. While he'd never been the sentimental type, a sense of accomplishment took root in his chest in seeing the photographer's set-up, their band equipment, everyone with something of a smile... He cleared his throat,
"Alright, yeah. Let's wrap this up. Solid work today, guys."

hundido

♡coded by uxie♡

• intro

the summoning

sleep token

scene.

A
    week has passed since mindrot’s first magazine interview with Millenium Magazine and deathlore welcomed their new bassist. Now halfway through October, both bands have a long list of tasks to complete before the holidays arrive.

mindrot has booked a studio space to record the remaining songs on the newest album. The band is gaining steady momentum in the nu metal scene and there is no time for taking things slow. Recordings need to be finished, and soon.

Meanwhile, deathlore has begun finding their footing again. Now is the time to decide how they will re-enter the scene. Should they re-record their old songs, or is it better for the band's image to start fresh without the influence of THE DESERTER on their sound?

intro

cast

i need your love,

i'm a
broken rose

time

3pm

date

friday, october 13th

studio, practice space

status

open

lore

ooc

♡coded by uxie♡

wren.

The baby was beaming with pride when he told his sister the news, his phone propped up on the TV stand as they FaceTimed.
I joined a band!
He signed enthusiastically, a toothy grin plastered on his face.
They are really cool and I like them a lot. I will send you our Instagram!
He continued, pink dusting his cheeks at the praise he received in return. They continued for a few more minutes until she was forced to go, leaving a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.
I love you, Munchkin.
After hanging up Wren lied down on the couch, texting Aspen the link before closing his eyes.

TIME SKIP

Humming to himself, Wren pulled out his phone to text Lucas his updated eta. Los Angeles traffic was always a bitch and taking the bus made the commute even slower. Wren didn't mind it too much, so long as it didn't eat away at his practice time with the band. Which is why he made sure to leave extra early! His head hurt too much to keep sleeping, anyway. He needed fresh air, a bottle of water, and some good company.

Thankfully, his bus made it to his stop in one piece. Wren shouted a quick 'thank you' before hopping out of the vehicle and onto the cracked sidewalk. He pulled up the directions on his phone again and turned to head down the street. The baby hooked his thumbs underneath the straps of his guitar case and skipped as he walked to get some of his nervous energy out. It had been about a week since he joined deathlore and Wren still hadn't gotten quite used to the idea of being in a real band yet. This was his second meeting, but it was just as nerve-wracking as the first.

Wren checked in with the front desk upon arriving at the practice space. He still thought it was cool that buildings with rooms to practice music in existed. He always thought people just played in their garage and then went to a recording studio. This definitely made more sense.

"I'm here!"
He announced as he opened their door.
"I'm not late, right? The bus was kinda running behind. Some dude tried to steal another dude's bike."
Wren laughed and set his case down to sit on one of the stools. He pulled out a rainbow Among Us pop it fidget toy from his pocket and wiggled in his seat.
"What's on the agenda for today? I'm ready for anything!"

creep

radiohead

♡coded by uxie♡

> misael RUÍZ . . .

A final strum hung in the air after the band’s latest attempt at one of their album songs. The room was warm from a few hours of pure performance & bouncing off the walls from Kai. Even Misael, who tended to look a little dead in the studio, had broken into a sweat seen across his forehead. He wiped at it, jutting his jaw at extended tune grating the inside of his skull.

They’d (see: he’d) booked a studio space to record the remaining songs on their upcoming album. It was a real punk space, curated to the underground metal scene of the area with fitting decorations even in the otherwise dark & clean studio they stood in, accented with red & grey. Across them, seen & not heard through the window, was the engineer for that day’s sessions & a few empty chairs for guests beside him.

Today was supposed to the last day of recording. However, with the energy of the guys & the pure marathon that day’s first session had been... it’d been a trial to say the least.

Misael rubbed at his knuckles as his face scrunched into one of concentration at the empty space before him, finding them uncomfortably bare; for the sake of recording, he & the rest of them had kept accessories to a minimum.

Knowing his bandmates & their tendencies to lose focus for extended periods of time, Misael had segmented their studio day into two sessions to give the guys a break in between. It was nearing the end of their first session that one final strum hung in the air long enough for Misael to bark out finally — a break in the facade he’d kept up until then:
“God, what is going on?”

He turned back to face Calum with an incredulous shake of his head, then turning to Kai,
“Hello?”

His phone’s alarm went off silently on the carpeted floor just by his foot. The quiet that’d befallen them enough for its buzzing to cut through the tension. The timing of it just further served to crack at Misael’s mask.

With the most severe knit of his brows, he bent over to pick up & turn off his phone.

“God, today just—completely down the drain,”
Misael bit out through his teeth. He popped up with a scowl towards his bandmates,
“Fuck’s up—”

“Alright, alright,” boomed the voice of that studio’s engineer over the speakers: a portly man in a snapback with the most deepset frown that nearly rivaled Misa’s. He told them, “I’m doing lunch & stretching some. Gonna need you guys to head out till its time.”

Misael straightened up with a smile so dead it didn’t even bother reaching his eyes. His voice came flatly,
“Right, yeah. Thank you. So much.”

Through the window, the man gave an unamused, inaudible snicker & clicked his channel on to tell them, “Be back in an hour or don’t, but—” the man upped his volume: “No reschedules.”

“Mmhm,”
winched Misael with a tight-lipped smile. As the guy headed out, Misael's polite wave to him turned into a middle finger at his back as the door shut behind him.

“God, that guy,”
was the first thing Misael said when they were finally alone. His attention immediately went to his phone. His tone became less severe as he scrolled through it, like a toddler satiated by pacifier. He ranted,
“Our usual called in sick I guess, I dunno. She texted me this morning saying she wasn’t gonna be in. If I'd known it’d be that guy, we could’ve just tanked the cancellation fee.”

For a few minutes, they’d be left to their own devices but expected to leave the actual recording studio soon for the sake of not being in the room unattended. The studio was spacious enough, with a nice & emptyish lobby where they could sit outside the recording.

Misael pinched the top of his nose bridge & muttered under his breath,
“Jesus Christ. Fucking insane.”

With renewed energy, he jostled his guitar off himself to place it down at the stand against the wall. A sudden cross of his arms, he turned back toward the center of the room & snapped to the other three in general,
“You all better cut the shit or you’re paying me back personally for this fucking room. You think we’re here for fun? Just rented a fucking bounce house for us to fuck around?”

If even a moment of silence lingered after he’d spat, he’d chirp up again with a spiteful,
“Well?!”

Generational Synthetic

♡coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back