• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Monster Hunter RP! Anyone interested?

CallmeMyth

Ruler of Twilight
Hello, guys!

Last year I had an exciting idea for a Monster Hunter RP. Due to very unfortunate circumstances however, (my PC broke) I was unable to bring my idea to life. I had put a lot of thought into this RP. To give everyone the run-down:

• I was going to include a "battle system," so that RPers can get a real idea of how much damage they are actually doing to a monster! There was going to be a player health system and defense stat, and resistances on a player's armor. Pretty basic, typical Monster-Hunter based stuff.
  • Monsters would also have a health and defense stat, as well as weaknesses to certain elements. Just like in the games, some monsters would also be capable of using elemental attacks (like fire or lightning) and players would need to make sure their armor has the proper resistances before going into battle!
  • Monster fights would take place in separate threads, which I would post links to in the main "Gathering Hub" thread, and all players would be allowed to join in on a pre-existing fight, just like you would if you accepted a mission in the games!
  • As I mentioned before, a player's armor would have varying levels of defense, as well as different resistances. Just like in the games, killing a monster would unlock a new "set" for hunters to wear. This whole idea is basically what I called the RP's "armor system." I would, of course, list the various armor types available to each player in the "Smithy" section of the RP, which would basically be a link to another thread where all the armor that's currently available to each player could be found. I intended for all of this to be pretty simple, so to avoid complication I had decided to exclude "mixing and matching" sets like in the games. Instead, players would have full armor sets that they would then have to upgrade over time as they fight more powerful monsters. Again, pretty basic and very straight-forward Monster-Hunter type stuff.
  • Weapons would work similarly to armor types. There'd be 15 different weapon types, all of the same ones from the games. So you'd have your gun lances, bow guns, dual blades, etc. (And yes there would also be hunting horns. :D ) Each weapon would have an attack stat, and some weapons would be able to inflict elemental damage. Players would be able to upgrade their weapons using parts that are dropped at the end of every "mission quest." Obviously, you have to participate in a fight against specific monsters to get the parts necessary to upgrade your gear. So participation is key!
  • I had began developing a main plot for my roleplay, as well. Story is the most important aspect of any RP in my opinion, and I had (originally) had someone helping me come up with ideas for the plot, as well. However, my partner disappeared, and after that my PC died (RIP). So, my plans for the Ultimate Monster Hunter RP were subsequently blown away like a hunter caught up in a strong wind from Kushala Daora...
There were even more interesting ideas I had been playing around with. I will leave those out for now, to avoid over-whelming anyone. Overall, I want to create an RP where there's more to it than just the story. Don't get me wrong of course, as I mentioned before, story is the most fundamental part of an RP. But I notice so many RPs die, and every time I see it happen, I feel like perhaps its because sometimes there's just not enough to a purely story-based RP to keep everyone involved and interested. When/if the plot gets boring or people stop posting regularly, the RP almost always dies as a result. To avoid this, I wanted to structure the RP in a way that would make the monster fights interesting and essential for getting stronger, but not hinder the overall progress of the main plot. At the same time, hopefully the battle system and all the various armor and weapon types, as well as the mission quests and main plot, would make players feel like the RP is this "text-based video game-like" concept that they are getting involved with, to help keep them interested over time. Even if they begin to suffer from writer's block.

Of course, I need to know if anyone would be interested in a Monster Hunter RP at all? And if I should create one that has a "system" to it. Or should I just scrap the idea of a system altogether?

I would also like to offer people the opportunity to work with me to help me get the RP actually started. It will be a lot of work if I do include a system, which I'm willing to undertake by myself if necessary. (I enjoy creating things!) Although, it could still take quite some time if I'm doing it alone. (I have school work, so...)

Any advice, further ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back