• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Midas' Inferno|| A Dystopian Future

Purpleyedmiss

I am very important and soft

latest

Welcome to
Midas, a massive metropolis built and carved into the bowels of the Earth. We're in the year 2050, the height of the Age of Gold, the period which proceeded the Nuclear War that devastated the surface and the first generation of mankind (2015-2021). The few who predicted this calamity developed a plan back then that could ensure the continuation of humanity underneath the ground people used to step onto. First, they tested their ideas with villages with living refugees, but when the War ended, only a third of Earth's population survived and a gap in History was made. The Age of Darkness, or so they call it.

All of this, ultimately, brings us back to the year of
2050. Mankind has sustained itself, but at what cost? The iron fist of the Golden Parliament treats Midas' citizens as tools, the watchful eye of the mysterious Counselor Orpheus looming over all over the city. The rich live luxuriously; The others, not so much. Midas' wealth comes from the minerals it digs out and transfers it all to other towns in development and brutality from the authorities is plenty.

Will you fight against this? Will you join the Titans? What is the Hematitis? And what shall you'll do with your power?

Loosely based of Fallout, other dystopian universes and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
2IeASLll.jpg

It was mid afternoon in Midas, and Eric had occupied a window seat on the sub tram. Unlike its prestigious siblings, the Bronze line lived a perpetual swan song. Uncared for, overworked and ever dying, it weaved on amongst the shantytowns and haberdashery of the Brass Slums as Eric focused on a battered watch he'd recently repaired. It ticked religiously as it lay in his opened hand, unaware of its own significance. The old world had ended long ago, and taken with it a great many things. Time -on the other hand- was more important now than ever.

For the sun neither rose nor set in Midas, and the stars were all but myth and legend.

As Eric stared through a reinforced plastic window, the tram came to a slow halt. He realised then just how static this world had become. He saw strings of LED lights hanging loosely by flickering neon shop signs. The glow from salvaged bulbs and lanterns dancing through the opaque figures that wandered the streets. It was a world without a true concept of day and night.

His focus shifted then to the reflection staring back at him. He seen a tired man with grey sunken eyes, and though they were unnervingly familiar, the face belonged to someone else. He was certain. Eric was a soldier, not an old man. "Has it really been so long?" he muttered, as the weathered reflection mimicked his every movement. He sighed and turned abruptly away, tuning in to his surroundings. He wasn't alone on the tram, but he hadn't been noticed either. On the radio, a song was cut short by some microphone feedback and the sound of a man clearing his throat.

**Ahem. Passengers, if I could have your attention, we seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties. As soon as our engineers find the source, we'll....**

**EEEEEEEEEEE**

The noise was piercing, and it echoed through the carriage for several seconds as the lights flickered lazily. Eric turned his gaze to the watch and snapped it closed. He glanced once more to his reflection, and in an instant it was gone. For a moment, utter darkness engulfed the carriage, and for a moment... Eric was a soldier again.

Had anyone taken notice of the old man by the window, they might have questioned his empty seat when the lights returned. As the tram came rattling back to life, the passengers mumbled inaudibly about the disturbance... and from the other side of the window, Eric Stryker took a moment to admire his ominous handiwork. A gentleman in a dark grey suit appeared silent and still, as though he had drifted off into a deep sleep. His head rested against the clear plastic and remained unmoving as the tram began to pick up speed and disappear.

Eric turned on his heel and let the stale artificial air fill his lungs. He began to walk toward the shop lights and took a final glance at the old watch.

"Let's see how long it takes them to notice he's dead."

Auda, in her normal grand and stately manner, sat on a balcony seat overview that looked down onto the parlement meeting. She sat with her back as straight as a pencil, her legs folded, and her hands folded neatly in her lap. She maintained a steely eyed look that she had perfected to wear in serious, public, situations. With this face, she almost looked like a willer. When Auda was in the public eye but not in a serious situation, however, she perfected a seductive attitude that was very flirtatious. These were both only masks though.

angel.jpg

couture-ss15-zuhair-murad(1).jpg

the_queen_of_ice_by_scorpionentity.jpg

Auda was surrounded by a small posse of willers, old men and women who owned mine shafts, And young men and women who were famous and strived to know Auda, which they never would, but they made Auda seem human so she allowed them to follow her. The topic being discussed on the floor might have seemed ambiguous or maybe even droll, but Auda seemed quite engrossed, possibly thrilled with the discourse.

Unfortunately, another young man, a servant this time, approached Auda and whispered, "It's four 'o'clock now, ma'am." At this, Auda slowly looked up and smiled at him "thank you Jeffrey, take the willers home and make sure the others don't follow me" she ordered in a calm tone. Auda slowly stood up, making sure her dress wasn't caught on anything, and exited the parliament building through the back door, frequently looking behind her shoulder to ensure no one was following her. This was the route she always took from the Parliament building when she had to go to a Titan's meeting, and she'd checked it many times to avoid surveillance cameras. When she got out she was in a dark alley perfect for changing shape. She took great pains to make sure no one was watching, then began to change. She seemed to become metallic, then melt. Her skin was a silver color and became distorted - like an agitated body of water. When her body was solid again she wasn't herself. Her large hair and dress had gone and been replaced with the kind of threadbare rags often seen in the brass slums, and she looked like an old man, his face smeared with coal dust.

Looking like this, Auda walked out into the street in front of the Parliament building. It was a beautiful street lined with tidy trees and large metal sculptures. The people were all dressed colorfully and fashionably and the air smelled sweet and fresh, like a bakery and newly cut grass. The pretty people, however, were disgusted with Auda's new appearance. They scowled and pulled children away and mumbled to themselves, but none of them actually did anything to her. Auda began walking to the train station and was very quickly picked up by two, clean police officers in nice white uniforms. They looked hesitant to touch the old man, but did anyway, pulling Auda into a cop car. She didn't struggle, becuase this is what she was expecting and hoping for. Begars often got up from the brass slums to the platinum zone, but they were always swiftly taken away. In the cop car, she was transported quickly and quietly out of the platinum zone, through the silver streets, and into the brass slums. They pushed her out onto the streets of the brass slums right into a puddle. The drive was quick, but the accommodations were less than glamorous.

Auda picked herself up about of the puddle and tried to wipe off the mud from her face. She was in the middle of a busy intersection. The ceiling was low, the atmosphere was humid and the people were dirty and sad looking. Neon lights shone through the darkness and were reflected in the puddles on the ground. It was loud and crowded, but Auda didn't mind. Not anymore. She hunched over, adjusted her clothes, and began weaving through the crowd with the kind of lithe an old man like the one she looked like could never achieve.

The first time she'd visited the brass slums, she couldn't handle it. The noise, crowds and heat made her collapse. She'd grown used to it since then and was an expert at moving with the people and the mood of the pitiful place. Soon, she was at a hazardous-looking alleyway. The kind of alleyway you'd never go in unless you had business in it. She looked over her shoulder, it seemed as if no one around her even saw her, so she slipped inside. After a few minutes of navigating the seemingly endless supply of alleyways, she reached a shady looking back door, on which she knocked a single time, and waited. This was the meetingplace for the Titans that week. Auda quickly changed her face back, keeping her dirty brass slums clothes, so that whoever answered would recognize her.

21:00, Subduer Bahar deployed

There had been a murder that night, usually such things didn't call for the Subduer to be deployed but on this particular of nights, the unwashed, undesirable masses of the Bronze district were violating curfew. In such large numbers, it could be considered a riot -perfect excuse to have Hassan Bahar strike fear back into the hearts of the people. They owed their lives to the Parliament, everything here was because of their dedication, their sacrifice, it was no one's fault but their own that they sit crowded and filthy and demand more from those who earned their belongings. It was a disgusting habit that the pre-war poverty stricken people complained about, a habit that carried over even after armageddon.

Vermin...

Hassan had been in the Police Department's barracks when he was called, though most officers returned home to the Platinum district after their shifts, those who had to pull extra shifts with short breaks in between utilized the provided barracks. Hassan used them because he simply couldn't bring himself to return home sometimes, too many memories, too many scars. The man under the mask was a withered one, his eyes sunken in with deep bags forming, his upper right forehead pocketed with a vicious burn scar, his chin lightly dusted with some stubble he hadn't bothered to shave. The wall of a man was sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor, a swarm of memories, a veritable hornet's nest of thoughts in his mind he almost didn't hear the beeping.

His gaze didn't shift, the voices in his head merely slowly faded and were replaced by the sharp screech of the wrist communicator as they were buzzing him in for duty. Eventually, a nearby sleeping officer complained rolling over to see Hassan ignoring his wrist communicator. He quickly stopped complaining. Eventually, a lazy hand reached over and tapped on the communicator, revealing the details of the situation. With a heavy sigh, Hassan stood up from the bed and lumbered towards the armory, under the watchful eye of a half-asleep police officer, the man snapped up straight as Hassan approached. He offered the man no salutation. Once inside, the man who had become the Subduer changed into his interface suit; a light orange jumpsuit with various white ceramic grooves and discs and wire boxes that integrated with his Power Armor and allowed him alone to wear the expensive suit.

The armor itself was rather impressive, it's vast range of protective traits coupled with the mechanical enhancements to Hassan's already massive physique made him a sort of cautionary tale among Titan agents.

"Be careful with that! If the Parliament catches on, the Subduer will be here any minute!"

Increasing Hassan's height by nearly two feet, the Egyptian now towered over everyone in the City. The suit was activated by Hassan inserting his activation key in a small keyhole on the back of the armor. The cylinder fit perfectly inside the hole and was held there while the plates of the armor hissed and opened for Hassan to climb inside. He hooked up the necessary components from his interface suit and when the interface suit was satisfied with the hook up, the plates closed, locked in, and pressurized Hassan inside with a audible hiss~. Taking his first steps in the power armor, the armor made heavy metal clanks with each step as one of the Officer's taking inventory of the Armory assisted Hassan in rigging up the Emplaced Chaingun on the left arm. Hooked into a holster hastily wrapped around the thick right leg of the armor was the TAR-31, the assault rifle could be fired with one hand inside the heavy armored suit. Armed and ready, Hassan led a small squad of riot Officers to the disturbance.

In no time, they were aboard the private tram system used for police forces to quickly reach areas in need of Authority. When the tram doors opened and a massive Power Armored Egyptian with a disdain for the poorer masses emerged with a chaingun emplaced on his arm, most the crowd fled in screaming terror. Their bodies became highlight under Hassan's helmet but he let them run, it was only those who were too scared or too stupid to run that he concentrated on. With the sound a small electronic tick, the speaker on his helmet boomed out the following message in a mechanized version of Hassan's already gruff voice.

"Alert! Noncombatants are advised to leave the area. Security sweep in progress. Lethal force may be used without warning." He began to take a few hefty steps towards those who finally realized it was better off to book it than to be facing the business end of that chaingun. His fellow officers stormed the tram with the dead man and examined him without touching the body.

"Christ, I can't make sense of what killed this guy. Could've just been a heart attack. Why the hell'd they muster up a riot squad for this shit?" said one of the officers as they examined the man. They all shared a similar face of confusion until one of them approached Hassan who was sweeping the area outside.

"We're gonna need a detective, someone who can get some investigative work done... Just keep the area clear. You know the drill."

"Affirmative." replied Hassan in that ominous mechanized voice. Quieter, because the man was right in front of him. It was short lived however as the speaker when back to full blast; ""Security lockdown in effect, do not interfere with Security Operations." Hassan revved the barrels of the Chaingun, if something happened he was prepared.

Again...

Nothing ever changes...

Our dreams, our routines, our lives...

It's all been the same.

Is conformity worth the small reward we get from not taking any risks? Should we not fight for something bigger just to keep our neck in the same place?

I don't know, ____.

It depends on the change you're looking for. If I don't know what to change, how can I change it? Even for change's sake, why look for bigger things to change?

Because you need to make things better for yourself. Or for others. Either way, to me, change means chaos. And such a beautiful chaos it would be if just someone brought down this fucking hellhole.

Viktor... Chaos, change... It's necessary to human nature. Regardless of time and space.

Again...

That memory...

- Vic? VIC!!

- Uh-W-What...? What is it? - Viktor mumbled in his half-sleep, his sprawled out body being shaken by his foster brother.

- Just wake up for once, Vic! We can't miss this!! Oh- Get up, for fuck's sake!!

- What is it, Killian? Don't yell, please, I've had a rough sleep. - he sat up to meet face to face with his overly excited little brother, scrubbing his barely lid opened eyes.

- Uh, tell me, when do you sleep? More like staring at the ceiling moping! C'mon, put on your shoes and let's leave already! - Killian pulled at his arm, his dark, almond shaped eyes lighting up just like a pup.

- Why won't you just tell me what is going on instead of bossing me around? I'm the older one, Kee.

- Oh, fuck that! Don't you remember? There's a Titans meeting today! Don't you want to go?

- Oh. That. Right... Yeah, wait for me at the entrance, I'll be right there. - Viktor said at last, appeasing his sibling's enthusiasm -or rather, feeding it even more - as the young, impressionable 19 year old he was - Did you warn Dad, Kee?!

- Of course I did! - He told Vic from afar - You know, like a liar.

The blond chuckled, shaking his head. He grabbed his dirty, powdery, old shoes and put them on, and so did the beanie he left at his bedside. Walking out of his bedroom, he soon joined Killian, and stepped out into the streets of the Brass Slums, heading towards the subtram station of that area and discussing the possible themes of debate during the meeting.

- Oh, I hope we begin the serious plans now! Let's be done with this stealthy shit!

- Keep your voice down, Kee. You don't know who might be listening. Plus, being stealthy is just a way of being slightly less visible yet more unexpected. The violence and the action don't change.

- But I never get to experience it firsthand! If there was an all-out war, I could prove my
strength to everyone who has doubted me!

- Don't mix doubting you with low expectations, Kee. To me, being part of a cause is already proof enough.

- Proof of what exactly?

- That you care about changing. You want to change this place. You don't have achieve that by war.

Killian was speechless for once.

- You want to be a hero, right? You want to take risks. You can still prove your worth through stealth and prudence. Even if some won't know you for your actions, the Titans will. And that, my little brother, will be rewarding enough.

What a load of shit, Vic thought to himself. It's just pretty words. The truth is, Kee, I don't want you to lose your life over big end goals that you long to accomplish. Even if it is for a good cause...

- I guess you are right... - he said with a somber tone, and Vic realized he might have spoiled the moment with his profound ethics. In a more brotherly manner, he wrapped an arm around Kee's head, pulling him closer by leaning his body in an uncomfortable position.

- H-Hey! Vic, I'll fall this way.

- There's a difference: I'll
let you fall.

- You asshole! I prefer your lectures to this!

- No, you don't. This is unwarranted, tough brotherly love, what could be better? - Viktor laughed, scratching his brother's scalp with his fist while Killian struggled to escape his firm grasp.

- We're almost to the station, let me go!

- Only when we enter the tram. You're stuck with me now, I'm made of glue.

- Fuck you, you're not!!

Vic cherished moments like this, as sappy as it sounds. Making the soon to be young adult squeal in irritation like a child again was the most amusing thing he could do. He wished he was as restless and carefree, less self conscious, prideful and ambitious. Being near his brother, despite all their differences in blood and in personality, made his existence just a little more worthwhile.

Arriving to the station however, they were greeted with ''INCIDENT TOOK PLACE IN THE COMING TRAM. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE EXTENDED WAITING TIME AND ALL THE INCONVENIENCES CAUSED''.

- Fuckers. They don't care at all for apologizing - Kee spat out, crossing his arms impatiently - Ugghhh... We're gonna be late now.

- I wonder what happened... - Vic's curiosity surpassed his sibling's annoyance. The station was filled with citizens much alike them, with ripped clothes and unwashed faces, all sighing at their unfortunate situation. He thought how many supporters of the Titans would be in the platform as well, eager to hear what the leaders had to say.

- Psst!! - they heard a mysterious voice call out, and they turned around. In the shadows, there was a untidy bare-footed girl, around 13 or 14, if Vic was not mistaken. She suddenly ran out of the station and Killian - as swift as he was - chose to follow her into an alley, Viktor reluctantly running behind.

- Kee, why are we doing this? You don't know what she wants! There might be a trap ahead!

- Trust me, Vic, I have a feeling in my gut that she'll lead us to the meeting! Just follow her!

Well, I have a feeling that this won't turn out nicely... We are in Midas after all...

Electo was bored, and it was written all over her face, she had no idea what to do. She worked at a Willer maintenance shop, mostly checking their software, making sure that they didn't glitch and so on. Her short hair up in it's usual strange flair, and her goggles crookedly from her head. She sat there in her stool, waiting for someone, anything. Her eyes darting around, looking at a fly, illuminated by the horrid in her opinion, bright white light. A piece of hair called at her face, and she casually blew it out.

'Bored.... bored, bored.... ugh.....'

But, now that she thought about it.... wasn't there supposed to be a meeting sometime, well, now? She got up from her seating and thought of a way to get to the meeting place so she wouldn't be late, life high up was rather hard, when you we're in the Platinum Zone and have to somehow quickly get to the Brass Slums, made her kinda happy she wasn't a part of them, now that she thought about it. There was a time she used to be, but the was a way back. Standing up, taking a satchel off the table in front of her, and hurriedly taking a jacket.

She got out of the little Willer maintenance place she worked in, and hurriedly made her way through the crowds of people she was long used to.

Finally finding the needed place, a dark and danky alley, she saw a fellow Titan.

"Why Hullo, Auda!" She greeted, waving her left hand, bowing mockingly. She never really saw Aura that much now that she thought about it, she didn't think they even introduced herself properly. They saw, maybe exchanged a few words, but not ever formerly met.

@whitefoxkiller

As Auda waited by the door she received a message from a device on her wrist. She pulled up her sleeve and clicked a button on her thin gold watch. A hologram popped up and Auda quickly turned the other way to hide the light. It was a news alert: dead body found on tram, identity not confirmed. Auda's brow furrowed as she watched a low-quality film one of the passengers had taken before being swept away. Auda closed the video on the holoscreen and typed in a message to one of her spy willers that she'd upgraded a while ago to include stealth functions. That particular willer was designed to infiltrate and act like just an annoying willer in the way, but it got videos of everything it saw and was programed to self destruct If it's data was in danger of being found. Auda thought, when she first got it, that all the functions might have been a bit too dramatic, not her style. But now she knew that the willer was extremely useful.

She was soon interrupted by a fellow Titan: Electo. She quickly shut down her holoscreen as she approached. She was about to greet Electo when she beat her to it, practicaly screaming Auda's name and bowing. "Quiet down, its crucial no one is aware of my presence here. You know that." Auda scolded, looking all around, trying to determine if anyone was listening. "But hello to you too." She begrudgingly said, a little annoyed. Electo was like this though, a little loud and excitable, and Auda never held it against her. Auda knew her skills were vital and irreplaceable, so she tried to not be too mean.

2IeASLll.jpg

Eric Stryker

The streets were bustling when Eric left the station... but no more than usual. The light seemed abnormally artificial today, and glared on his approach, sending a dull pain across his brow. He rubbed it with the palm of his hand as though to shield from further discomfort, and pushed his way through a narrow saloon door. Despite his many years in Midas, Eric had never considered himself a regular of any particular establishments. It would be foolish to think his face was entirely unrecognisable, but he had managed to get this far in his drinking career without succumbing to first name basis. Dive bars grew from every corner in the Brass Slums, and he was simply another customer. The tram job had left a foul taste in his mouth, and the desire to replace it had been firmly planted at the forefront of his mind... right next to the headache. There had been no complications, thankfully, but taking someone's life should never be simple. Still, he was Orpheaus' man, and if the information was right, his death was necessary.

A message to the Parliament.

The bar was small, largely thrown together with scrap metal and salvaged furniture, but it functioned as most good bars do; as a place to buy a drink. Eric chose a stool by the door, and raised his hand to the young bartender for a measure. She was petite, unconventionally pretty and overly chirpy for someone living in a renowned shit hole. The latter aside, she served both his drink, and as a means to take his mind off of things. With that he felt a begrudged smile take shape on his face. He was old, you see, not dead. Placing a few credits on the counter, he nodded in appreciation for the drink and simultaneously signalled for another. Sliding the bottle towards him, she rested her elbows on the bar and cocked her head curiously.

"So what's your story mister?"

Unable to discourage his lips from curving, he obligingly poured the measure of liquor and slid the bottle back toward her.
"My story?" he replied, as the glass filled settled in his hand. "Well.. I'd have to kill you if I told you that." The pair laughed for a moment, before silence reclaimed the room. "Come on, I'm serious. I see you here sometimes and I guess I'm just curious! You obviously weren't born in Midas, right? So where are you from?" she chimed, innocently. He set the drink down, and looked at her eyes. They were genuine, and lovely. Deep pools of truly innocent blue. Eric could forget what that looked like, from time to time. "If you must know, I was born in the town of Chesterfield, in a place called England." His eyes trailed at the memory. "But that was a long time ago... before you... or Midas even existed." She didn't appear phased, which relieved Eric considerably. It was better, in his opinion, that tales of the old world ought to stay there. Rather than filling the heads children who would never truly know it.

"Huh..." she said, thoughtfully. "And what is it you do down here, when you aren't flirting with charming women?" Eric couldn't help but laugh. He was about to finish his drink, and had wasted enough time already... attempting to stall the inevitable. He had a meeting to run, he had to tell his Titans what happened on the tram, and he had to tell them why. "I'm afraid that story belongs to the next measure, but thanks for this one." as he stood up to leave, she addressed the back of his head. "Maybe I'll get to hear it some time?" she said. And as the door swung closed on his way to the crowded street, he mumbled to himself.

"I really would have to kill you, sweetheart."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back