Mess Hall

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Out of character natter goes here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Although I don't expect to need rolls very often. I was sure I told you this awhile ago.

The dice rolling won't be a problem. Will we just have to go off site to do rolls or you do them for us?

I've got a good off-site roller. 

http://coyotecode.net/roll/

I can do some of the rolling, but honestly once you guys understand the system it's better for you to roll because in most cases you'll be able to integrate the result into your post without my input.

As a very, very basic example, let's say someone has to move a collapsed support beam to save another character - once you guys have a grasp on the system, whoever is attempting the rescue can just make the roll, identify the result, and post how they succeed or how they fail without needing me to intercede. This cuts down on my workload and allows you to retain creative control to a greater degree that you might otherwise expect.

It's only for say, research or investigation that I'll really need to step in, so I can offer hints or plot points or what-have-you.  In gen'ral I never ask for a roll unless failure and success are equally interesting results. 

Not sure. Never been in a hyper-detailed character roleplay. Sad to say, but I'll be winging it as it goes. A marine with the love of the ocean is what I'm leaning toward now.

Okay Grey I think if you could do a step-by-step walk-through of the Creation, that'd be great. No offense to the manual, but the explanations are odd.

The 1st wall I hit is attributes. You get 1 free in Mental, Social, & Physical, but it says to put 5 points in your primary. From the description, it talks about 5 being the peak of human ability. So if 5 is the peak, how can I have 6 dots in an attribute??

Okay Grey I think if you could do a step-by-step walk-through of the Creation, that'd be great. No offense to the manual, but the explanations are odd.

The 1st wall I hit is attributes. You get 1 free in Mental, Social, & Physical, but it says to put 5 points in your primary. From the description, it talks about 5 being the peak of human ability. So if 5 is the peak, how can I have 6 dots in an attribute??

Each Attribute starts at 1, for free.

You pick one of those categories - Mental, Social, or Physical - to be your character's Primary category of competence. You get 5 points to split among the three Attributes in the category you choose - you might choose to pick Physical as your primary, and distribute your points like this

Strength 1 + 2

Dexterity 1 + 1

Stamina 1 +2

For the end result:

Strength 3

Dexterity 2

Stamina 3.

You see? If you wanted to peak, you could go

Strength 5

Dexterity 1

Stamina 2. 

Your Strength will never go above 5 naturally. You capped early for mega Strength, and weaker Dex and Stamina - so you can raise those later, but your Strength will always be 5 barring severe injury or cybernetic enhancement.

Makes sense? I'm so accustomd to this I may not be good at breaking it down.

Each Attribute starts at 1, for free.

You pick one of those categories - Mental, Social, or Physical - to be your character's Primary category of competence. You get 5 points to split among the three Attributes in the category you choose - you might choose to pick Physical as your primary, and distribute your points like this

Strength 1 + 2

Dexterity 1 + 1

Stamina 1 +2

For the end result:

Strength 3

Dexterity 2

Stamina 3.

You see? If you wanted to peak, you could go

Strength 5

Dexterity 1

Stamina 2. 

Your Strength will never go above 5 naturally. You capped early for mega Strength, and weaker Dex and Stamina - so you can raise those later, but your Strength will always be 5 barring severe injury or cybernetic enhancement.

Makes sense? I'm so accustomd to this I may not be good at breaking it down.

I think I got it.

Everyone doin' alright?  Any questions about literally anything in the setting you'd appreciate cleared up or expanded on? Any reservations or struggles?

Also, I'm thinking everyone will have been on Lemuria for about six months, but I'm willing to accept one or two fresh hires or grizzled vets. In either case, any pre-existing relationships will need to be ironed out. You guys would have met at orientation and share relatively cramped quarters, so you'd at least have opinions of each other.

No pre-established relations for me. I only need to give my guy a name, age, and short bio --> which is in my head already. Only thing I had trouble with, was coming to grips about having a Marine with low stamina and virtually no schooling. Had to contort for that one

No pre-established relations for me. I only need to give my guy a name, age, and short bio --> which is in my head already. Only thing I had trouble with, was coming to grips about having a Marine with low stamina and virtually no schooling. Had to contort for that one

Eh, 2 Stamina isn't that low, but if you don't expect to be beating people over the head much you could always shuffle a point over from Strength. Also, since you combine Skills and Attributes, technically the upper limit on most Stamina actions will be Stamina + Athletics. 

I'm kind of baffled that you went Social Secondary and invested so much in Animal Ken.

As for the no-schooling thing - even a character at Academics 0 is usually assumed to have a basic education, so the reasonable assumption is most of his education went toward computer science.

I imagine it'll all make sense when I see the bio.

Also, by no pre-existing relationships do you mean they're a fresh hire, or they just don't talk to anyone in the station with them?

That said, you haven't taken the Professional Training Merit as advised - that gives you large bonuses and free points in a lot of Skills, and some free Merits, and might better support your character.

@Grey

Ah shoot. Forgot about that skill. I will go back and put that in. For the Strength to Stamina, I wouldn't dare change my attribute points, haha. That would completely destroy my requirements for a few of the skills down-CS I picked and wanted  :smile5:

Don't you worry about the skill spread! I promise I wasn't just doing random things. Method to the madness. And yes, a fresh hire; I would prefer having a clean slate.

That's cool, orientation will be a useful vehicle to bring the rest of the players up to speed.

That's cool, orientation will be a useful vehicle to bring the rest of the players up to speed.

Can you explain level 2 & 3 of Professional training please? Does contacts refer to the Contact Merit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back