Member Selection Question

Enuky

Status Troll
Hi, everyone. As some of you may have already seen, I recently posted into the fantasy interest check forum about an rp idea. I wasn't expecting many responses, honestly, but now I have way too many interested people. Which leads me to my question today: how do all of you typically go about selecting members when this occurs? Thoughts? Advice? I have been thinking about doing it in some sort of first come first join system after I post the official rp page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be honest with you and say that the "First come, first serve" system isn't the best one in my personal opinion despite its effectiveness. Why? Well, this system has its fair share of flaws. For one this system may result in rushed characters as people will hurry themselves in order to post a CS as quickly as possible to get a spot in the RP. Also, I feel that this system might leave out users that are willing to put more energy and effort into the RP simply because they weren't able to post their characters early enough. But, if you would like to start your RP as quickly as possible then this method might be perfect for you as it reduces the number or players fairly quickly.

My system of preference allows everyone to post a CS before personally choosing which ones I feel should be part of your RP. This method is far more time consuming than the last one, but in the long run it might be more beneficial to your RP as you will be choosing those players who put much more effort into the making of their character.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to prefer a modified first-come first-serve, when I'm open to general public. I'll make decisions on whether to accept a character when I receive it, and inform my applicants that I will be picky. I have rejected people before - it sucks. xD Anyway, that keeps me from waiting on horrendously slow people while still enabling quality control.

You could give them a scenario and see which of them gives the best detailed response (or whatever you're looking for).

For my RP I had a 2 part application process. 1 was just some basic questions like share a bit about yourself, why do you want to play my RP, tell me about your character, etc... after I get that we hashed out a more refined non-draft version of characters that fit best with the story.

The people who couldn't be bothered or gave weak responses or were too hard to satisfy with the kinds of characters they wanted? Didn't play. Instead I was left with a handful of people who I feel truly appreciate what we're trying to make together.

I generally like to go to the RPer's profile and find some of the writing they've posted in past RP's. I think style of writing is very important, so I want to make sure they're qualified writers before considering them. I also like to focus on the personality and biography of a character sheet when trying to choose unique characters

On other sites I've done it so the character profile has a spot to put a roleplay sample and if their writing is not what I am looking for I tell them so. A more simplier option is to get them to make the character and you can get a pretty good vibe from that if they are good for the role or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back