• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Measurements of Time

Anony

787768a56ce711b9e1ddbf2f426f6aef.jpg

Five years. Five years was a measurement of time that Tyler had spent apart from her. Five years felt like the measurement of time for everything now - his age, was irrelevant, years since high school -who cared? The years since college - did he know? The time since he'd moved to Chicago- somewhere between three and four years. But the time since he'd broken his own heart, the time since he'd last seen Nora Farrow was five years, three months and fourteen days and that time was forever imprinted in his memory.

Maybe letting go of her wasn't a mistake. He still felt strongly that he'd done the right thing for her, but not attempting to protect her heart, letting her go the way he did, not trying harder than he already had, that was the real mistake in the situation. Even as he swirled the whiskey around in his glass five years, three months and fourteen days later, he could feel the pit in his stomach, and no matter how many women he saw, how many serious relationships he had, or how busy he maintained his life, Nora always crawled her way to the forefront.

His friends attempted to tell him it was normal, everyone had the girl that "got away" and that it would get easier in time, but they had no idea what life that woman had, and what a difference she had made in his life.

Eight years ago, Tyler was twenty, he was king of the world. He attended a prestigious college he had no business attending, as a legacy baby. Four generations had gone to Stanford. Four generations had joined a fraternity and married a beautiful sorority girl. Four generations had gone on to run the family business, made millions, established trust funds, and then had a son to repeat the history.

Then there was Tyler. Who went to college, got grades that were a sad excuse for attending college, and got a pass for the last name 'Reynolds' from his professors. He goofed off way too much, drank probably every night of the week, racked his parent's AmEx card balance up to the high heavens. Tyler had been an entitled, stereotypical frat boy. He was a womanizer with selfish tendencies, a bad habit of flaking out on girls who he made sincerely fall for him. Actually, let's face it - Tyler was a complete asshole in college and the chase was worth everything to the entitled boy and then the game was over. And that is when he met Nora.

------

September 6th, 2009 freshman move in day, or Tyler Reynolds favorite day of the school year. He was sitting outside the dorms, handing out flyers to 'Welcome Party' at the frat house, where all the upperclassmen guys tried to sleep with the unexpecting, newly free freshman girls. It was a game that resulted in very few winners, but it was tradition, and it was Tyler's favorite day. As a Junior - he planned on making that party unforgettable, for everyone involved.

That was when he turned and saw her. A little brunette, with these soft lips, round gentle eyes and a cute little body. She was struggling with loading, or unloading some god awful dorm room stuff like every other freshman who was bound to realize was useless for their term in school. But he couldn't help himself as he handed his flyers to his best friend and fraternity brother, Scott. "Hold these..." He said in an obvious distracted tone as he walked up to the girl, completely sure of himself - cocky, really.

"Hi, I'm Tyler Reynolds. You're not a freshman are you?" He didn't even wait for an answer. "Never mind." He quickly followed up. "You should...." He cut himself off again. Never in his life had self confident, cocky and smooth Tyler been at a loss for words. But there he was tripping over every word that came out of his straight lips, and he tightened his neck muscles, swallowing hard, his blue eyes averting down, past her body in a quick once over, and to the pile of things she was holding.

"You really look like you could use a hand." He finally stumbled over his words, creating the most coherent thing he could think of.

------

So there he was, five years, three months and fourteen days later, drinking, dateless, at some networking social for alumni of Stanford being held in Chicago. It was supposed to be a way to meet people in the city, to look for jobs and follow career leads. He didn't need any of that, though. He was a successful financial consultant, who knew, he had all but sworn off dating and he had enough friends in Chicago. He was there to support Scott though, who was presenting at the social about new business opportunities in Chicago - or something.

Leaning against the bar next to his friend as a presentation was going on, he swirled ice in his glass, before straightening out his gray suit, which contrasted against his ice blue eyes and dark hair, the golden tan of California had long faded. "You're lucky I consider you my best friend." He joked to Scott, knowing how much both of them had been dreading that night.

"Dude."

"Man, what the fu-" Tyler started as his friend's elbow dug straight into his sternum. But, his attention was captivated, just as it had been over seven years ago. There she was, Nora Farrow, the woman he'd never been good enough for. The woman who he'd consistently screwed over, betrayed, screwed things up with and who had loyally stood at his side the entire time. The woman he was forced to let go to make sure that she had the best life possible, a life he wasn't able to provide without providing so much more she never signed up for. There was no way Tyler was ready for a relationship back then, and certainly not with a woman as wonderful as Nora, but she really hadn't deserved all the things she put up with, only to have him walk away from all that she fought for. Even the grown, more mature, version of Tyler wasn't good enough for her.

"Nora." He said under his breath, and it took everything in him not to run directly up to her and start talking like a complete idiot just as he had years ago.

Instead he played it as cool as he could. How did you say hello to an ex after all that time, especially an ex that he had completely shattered, while breaking his own heart in the process.

So, he played it as safe as he could and ordered her favorite drink from the bar, before he took it over to where she had headed in. "Nora Farrow." He stated, as if he hadn't seen her five minutes prior. "It's really , really nice to see you."

%C3%A7illi-g%C3%BCzel-kad%C4%B1n-13.jpg

Five hours. Five hours was the measurement of time it took Nora to realize she was finally divorced. Sitting on the edge of a barstool, she looked down at her wedding band. She knew she should take it off, but she couldn’t quite yet. It was supposed to be a symbol of infinite love and hope. In their vows, he had promised commitment and unyielding faith in their relationship. He’d promised to have and to hold her, through sickness and health. They were supposed to grow old...together. She wasn’t supposed to feel heartache and pain like this, again. Noah wasn’t supposed to hurt her like Tyler Reynolds did. Noah was supposed to be her safety net.

Noah Matthews was a decent man, or so Nora thought. He’d been her knight in shining silver armor. He’d loved a woman who thought that love could never exist. Not only had Nora been through one hell of a breakup the previous year, but her academic achievements slowly dwindled away into nothing. She let herself go. There was no denying she was a fragile soul, tattering away like a frayed piece of fabric. Noah had latched onto her, though. He refused to take no for an answer, and after a long back-and-forth between the two of them for months--Nora finally gave him a shot..and she loved him.

He was a sweet and gentle man. Patient. He had graduated from Stanford the year before, and if it wasn’t for him--she wouldn’t have gone back to finish her double major in fashion design & business management. Instead of worrying about what parties to go to, or what booze to drink, or what friends to impress--he forced her to focus on herself. He was her study-buddy. He offered to cook for her, clean her apartment, and even run errands for her when needed. She didn’t know how to handle such kindness. The man who’d broken her heart into a million pieces always focused on himself, and how he would make it into the world. It felt good to be the center of attention, for once.

He proposed the day she graduated. She accepted, although it wasn’t what she’d always dreamed about. Nora was almost positive she would never love someone like she did Tyler, again, and in truth--she didn’t love Noah the same. Tyler Reynolds was the love of Nora’s life, and Noah would never take his place. He was a good filler, though. She would never have Tyler. He had made sure of that. He didn’t want her. He didn’t need her. The three years she invested in their relationship, were gone the moment he told her they were through. She gave up her life for Tyler, to make sure he was happy and loved. He tossed her away like she was a used diaper, before he jumped into another woman’s bed. Ironically, sorta like Noah did too...

They’d found out she was infertile, after a year of trying to conceive. Nora always wanted children, and to be told she couldn’t do the one job that women were born to do--made her hate her body even more. Depression wasn’t something she could hide, after that. She went to work, did her job, and came home to food and a tv-show or movie. Her social life dwindled. She tried to make time for Noah, and although he was patient--who could blame him for leaving her? She was a mess. He wanted kids. She couldn’t give him what he wanted...

....but his twenty-one year old fitness instructor definitely could.

He’d tried to explain that it was an accident. He cried. Nora didn’t like it when men cried. It made them look weak and idiotic. She was weak enough on her own, she didn’t need a visualization of a male version of herself. She wished them well, though. Didn’t argue. Didn’t fight. She waited until all of his belongings were out of their condo, before she buried herself into her bed and didn’t move for a few days. The divorce papers were quick to come. Nora didn’t fight it. She signed away her husband, and the last name of Matthews five hours ago. She was now, again, Nora Farrow.

“Nora Farrow.” She heard a very familiar masculine tone, as a very familiar demanded presence sat down beside her. In his hand, was a cranberry-vodka with a small lime wedge on the side. Her breath hitched in surprise, and she ran a nervous hand through her long brunette locks. “Tyler Reynolds.” She spoke, softly--laying both her hands on the bar in front of her. “It’s..been a very long time, indeed.”

~~~

Her beat up junker of a car was the least of her problems. She should have had her dad drop her off like he’d offered, but noooooo...she had to do it herself. “Shit.” She said, putting her hands on her petite hips, as she studied the mattress in the back of her station wagon. She wasn’t sure how the hell she was going to get it out. There were boxes upon boxes stacked high on top of the mattress, and when she tried to grab a few on her own, it just didn’t seem to be a working concept.

“Hi, I’m Tyler Reynolds. You’re not a freshman are you?” A voice boomed from behind Nora, making her jump. She turned and studied the well-bodied boy behind her, and narrowed a look at him, then back to the load of stuff in the back of her car. “Uh, is it that obvious?” She blushed a bit. “You should…” He began, and stopped in an odd manner. Nora studied him with a tilt of her head. “You really look like you could use a hand.” He finally spoke, and Nora laughed at him in a innocent manner.

“Alright, you can help--but don’t get no ideas. I know karate and kung fu. I also have pepper spray too, Tyler Reynolds. So keep your hands on my belongings, and get to work.”

Tyler was pretty sure when he had broken up with Nora all those years ago, that she had thought he wasn't impacted or broken. But he was. He was completely shattered, and then some. There wasn't a day that went by while he was running the family business that he didn't think her. He was fortunate in what he had when it came to material things, very, fortunate, but he also didn't have Nora Farrow.

He walked away from her, and it had seemed like the easy, obvious choice. Nora was way too good for him. She was successful, she was powerful and being with a man like Tyler would have completely ruined her. He didn't want to settle down - at least, not right away. He didn't know what he wanted. He liked his freedom to go out and get drunk. Admittedly, he missed sleeping around. They would have been apart for a year while she finished school and he was away, and he didn't trust himself to stay faithful to her, and not completely ruin everything he'd worked so hard for. Letting her go was the easy choice. She'd fine some man who could provide the life and stability he lacked. She'd find someone with ambitions and goals and who had an answer when they asked where they saw themselves in five years. And Tyler had never given her those things. He was silly, a jokester, encouraged her to skip class to go drink and stay out late. She'd ask where he wanted to be in five years, and he couldn't even tell her his five minute plan. Nora was way to good for him.

As he slid her drink over to her, he watched as she did that nervous twitch she had. The one where she'd distract herself by running her hand through her hair, and it caused him to smile a little bit. Some habits died hard. Even after all those years, even after woman after woman had warmed his bed. After he'd had a child with the only other woman who had caught his eye for more than a few nights of fun, that little burnette next to him was the only person who could make him smile at a tiny little quirk.

And she looked good. Exactly as he remembered. Then his eyes fell to her left hand, and his heart sank a little. Of course she was married - why wouldn't she be. That was exactly what he had set her free to go do. But it made his mind race with a million questions. Who was this guy? Was
he good enough for Nora? How long had they been married? Was she happy? He wanted to ask her all those questions at once, but he held himself back. He'd just sat down next to her, and she was clearly still processing the fact Tyler Reynolds was even still alive, let alone at the same shitty Stanford even as her. He'd never been one for those get togethers.

"How...how are you?" He asked, that stuttering coming right back out as it had years ago. Nora Farrow was the only woman in the world who could make Tyler Reynolds stutter over his own words so much.

"You look great." He said, before he shook his head, running a hand through his scruff he always kept well trimmed. "I don't mean that in a -
let me pick you up sort of way. It's just nice to see an old friend at an event like this." He stated, nodding down towards her wedding band. "These parties are the absolute death of me."

"Is your husband around? I'll buy the man a drink." He offered. And that was just Tyler, he loved to make people feel good, to include them in his ever growing circle of friends. He was fun loving, and the life of the party more often than not. Friendly was never an issue he'd had, but may be being too social, at times was.

-----

"No ideas here!" Tyler stated, throwing his hands up in an innocent manor. "And the only thing that made it obvious was that you put the boxes ON the mattress. By next year you'll figure it out, the mattress goes on the boxes."

Tyler joked as he reached in to grab one of the lighter boxes and gave it to her, and then took one for himself. "Don't even worry about locking this bad boy up. Every kid at Stanford drives a Mercedes or a Benz now days. Money kids are all that's really here anymore, no real talent." He spoke as if he weren't one of the ones whose parents had paid their way into college, but something about that tiny little burnette made him desperate to impress her.

"What are you here for?" He asked as they waited in lines for the elevators to go to her dorm rooms. "Wait....let me guess....Pre Med, like the other 5,000 freshman who are going to have their dreams crushed the second they go into Compton's Organic Chem class? Please don't say Pre Med."

The familiarity of his scent was overpowering. It had been over five years, and he still smelled the same. Nora didn’t even know how that was possible. “Thank you.” She murmured, as she wrapped her left hand around the cocktail. After all she’d been through the past few weeks, Tyler Reynolds was definitely not the person she wanted to be talking to. It felt like god was taking an iron poker and stabbing her compulsively in the heart. His dark hair, amber eyes, and beautiful chiseled chin had haunted her dreams for years. She should have known not to come today.

“I’m alright.” She took a small sip of the drink, before pushing the glass away from her. It wasn’t that she didn’t like the drink. It was her favorite, and she knew Tyler knew that. She also knew that with her emotions heightened right now, it probably wasn’t the smartest idea to drink anything. Nora had always been a rather..light drinker, anyways. Tyler used to call her his personal firecracker. “The life of the party!” Is what they were known as. Before Tyler came into her life, Nora didn’t even attend parties. Goes to show how college can change things.

“Aahh.” She mumbled, as she looked down at what she was wearing. Dark jeggings with a black-sparkled tunic, matched with pretty plume flats. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it was pretty with her complexion. Most of the pieces came from her own line she’d been working on. It had always been a passion for Nora to create her own wardrobe. Now she was selling clothing worldwide from her own boutique. “Thank you, I guess. It wasn’t like I dressed up or anything.” She replied back to Tyler, with a curious glance. “Ironically, you look...just like you did when I last saw you.” She paused. “A bit older, hmm.”

Tapping her fingers on the bar, wanting a way to get out of this conversation as quick as she could, Nora was side-tracked by Tyler’s next comment. “Pick up? Friend?” She couldn’t help but scoff at him, as she went to stand. “A party that’s the death of Tyler Reynolds? Really. I never thought such things existed.”

Nora grabbed her purse, and frowned as Tyler brought up her husband. Well. Ex-husband. He didn’t need to know that, though. “Nah. He’s not.” She frowned at the man who broke her heart, the first time, and cursed karma for bringing her here to begin with. “I should go. Thanks for the drink.” She said, as she turned to leave.

~~

Nora laughed and shook her head, her brunette curls freely escaping her messy bun. “Hey, I bough old Betty with my own money, thank you.” She kicked the side of the station-wagon in good fun. “Medical school? Hellll no. I’m a fashion major. Actually...double majoring in business management.” She grabbed a box. “I want to own my own fashion store, one day. Sell stuff at Barney’s and Nordstrom.” She rolled her eyes. “Parents definitely WANTED me to do medical school, but you gotta do what makes you happy, you know?”

Seeing as Tyler held a hefty load, Nora pushed the button for the elevator and smiled as the door dinged open. “After you. I think I’m on the...fourth floor.” She said, as she followed him into the closed-space. “What do you do here, besides being a weird frat-boy who tries to get into girls underwear?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler couldn't help but let his eyes drift over Nora for a brief moment. She was as pretty as always, and she had never known how pretty she was. Nora carried herself with this attitude that let everyone know she didn't care, and he loved that about her, but it also made her tough to read. When something bothered her, she just sucked it up and moved on. No matter how many times Tyler had fucked things up with her, Nora had just internalized how upset she was. And really? He deserved so much worse from her.

Even then, her cold shoulder was so...Nora. Instead of biting his head off or crying, she just ignored him. It was part of what had brought him so frustratingly close to her. Nora called him on his bullshit, and moved on from it. He couldn't count how many arguments they had in college, about him partying and going out every night of the week. About the girls he probably flirted with. It all seemed so silly now, that they were grown adults, that they ever even argued over it. Nora wasn't your typical college girl where every single thing was a huge issue and they weren't really that couple that screamed at one another through the halls. But, lord knew he deserved it at times for the way he treated her.

And yeah, Tyler probably did look the same. A little more buttoned up in his black dress shirt, his purple tie and his gray slacks. The crease of his dress pants was all wrong, and it probably killed Nora to see just how
badly he failed at being a bachelor. But he tried.

While Tyler may have looked the same with his messy bed head look that was effortless, his dark hair was tossled, but no longer because he was too hungover to shower - that was just his look. His facial hair untrimmed, but not because he fell asleep on the sidewalk of the frat house and had to get to class, but because it made him look half way distinguished. His muscles had toned up a little bit, because he actually had pulled back on the drinking. Deep down, Tyler was completely different. He had matured. He had gone on and applied himself. He actually worked at his job, where most who knew him in college had probably thought he was just going to float by on his Father's money for the rest of his life. He had matured, in a lot of ways no one expected him to. But he had a son to provide for. He had a son he was fighting for custody over. He wanted to be a good example. He was different.

Then she got up, in a flurry of brunette curls and clothing that put every other girl in the room to shame, and she was heading for the exit. And if Tyler had been the man he was years ago, he would have just let her walk away, with nothing else to say.

Instead, he too got up, his glass of whiskey on the rocks in hand, and he stepped beside her, his hand on her shoulder. "Nora..."

He stopped, not really sure what else he should say. But as he stood there, searching her beautiful eyes that still had this innocence to them, but this sadness he couldn't pinpoint, it just sort of came to him. "I'm sorry." His shoulders fell forward with sincerity. "I know I was a jerk all those years ago. I never really got to tell you I was sorry about everything though. I've had to come to peace with what a jerk I was and what a coward I was all those years ago. You didn't deserve any of what I did to you, and God knows I didn't deserve you at all. So, at the very least, know I'm sorry, okay? I hope to see you around sometime. Maybe to catch up on our lives?" He suggested.

"I'd like to know how you are. Successful, I'm sure."

-----

Tyler let out a little bit of a laugh before he nodded. "Fashion, talk about cut throat. That crap is worse than the Medical field. I've heard. Not that I know the first thing about it." He suggested as they headed into the elevator.

"Oh, come on. I haven't even gotten to know your name, and you're already insulting me." He threw his hand over his heart, as if he were complete devastated by her assumptions - which were mostly right. And they walked into her dorm room.

"Whew, look at this. I forgot how glamorous dorm life is." He joked as he threw the box up onto one of the beds and looked around the cramped quarters. "Forget trying to get into girl's underwear. They beg to come over to get out of these hamster cages." He joked.

Nora had made it about half-way across the floor before a hand engulfed her shoulder and turned her to a halt. She let out an exasperated breath, and finally took Tyler in fully. He’d dressed up, but his lack of care for his clothes was something that annoyed her. Tyler had always been someone who could dress in almost anything, like raggedy gym shorts and a t-shirt, and still manage to make girls swoon. His hair always looked slightly unkempt, but in a naturally appealing way. He did seem to add a bit of styling gel, though. The only reason Nora knew this, was because Tyler had a natural part in his hair and it wasn’t showing, with the way it curved up and over, in a smooth finish. He definitely knew how to steal a heart, this guy. His eyebrows were still full and oddly symmetrical, without any waxing or shave needed. He was blessed with a chiseled jawline and rough stubble, something that Tyler rarely had when they’d been together. She complained about it being ticklish when they were intimate, and it didn’t look that good on his boyish features, then. It definitely did his face a bit of good now, though.

The man in front of her was just that, a man. Tyler was not the same looking boy she’d fallen for so many years ago, but a nicely distinguished man. It made her heart yearn. She wish she could have made him into a man. She thought for sure she would be the woman to stand beside him, when he finally did pull up his big-boy pants and became one. God knows, she loved him enough to stay through a lot of fucked up pain. “Listen..” she began to say, but as soon as she took in the depth of his beautiful eyes, and his apology, she crumbled..There was one thing she remembered about Tyler Reynolds more than anyone else--he never apologized.

Nora looked down at her shoes, and focused on a point on the wooden floorboards. She had made a vow to herself to never let a man run over her again, and she managed to find a husband who broke her heart into a million pieces, just like Tyler did a long time ago. “I’m sure you are, Tyler.” She said, glancing back up at him with one of her fake-it-till-you-make-it smiles. “It’s all water under the bridge. I’m sure you moved on. I did.” She bobbed her head, glancing around them.

People were starting to watch, and it didn’t surprise her one bit. Their relationship was a very popular relationship. Tyler headed up a frat house, and Nora was his long-time girlfriend. They were practically nobility on campus, for the time they were together. When Tyler had ended things, many people had picked sides--the majority had picked his side, but Nora had a few long lasting friendships out of it. None of those people were here, though. None of them wanted to come back and relive their college years. Nora had no idea why she even decided to show up, except probably for the free alcohol and food. She wasn’t thinking straight, after having signed away her marriage a few hours ago…

“I forgave you already, Ty.” She looked up at Tyler. “So please, don’t stress about it, right? We’re adults. We all made pretty shitty mistakes when we were younger, right? Some of us just have to deal with the consequences later on..” Shut up. Shut up. Shut up! She screamed at herself, inwardly. She was leading into dangerous territory, so instead of continuing into psycho-talk she smiled and reached up to give him a friendly hug. “I’m sure I’ll see you around, but if not, take care of yourself.” She patted his cheek once, like she always used to, and reached into her purse to pull out her keys. “Goodbye, Tyler.” She said, and turned again to depart. Only, this time, she had accidently knocked a piece of crumbled paper out of her purse and it sat on the floor where she’d been standing a moment ago..

~~~

“Obviously.” She joked at him, as she took in the way he was dressed. He was not a fashion-forward guy, but most frat boys weren’t. Even though he wasn’t dressed nicely, she had to give the guy well-deserved props. He still managed to smell good, even though he looked like he just left the gym. “Well, the admissions counsel loved me. They loved me enough to give me a full ride, so I’m not worried about those other bitches trying to cut me down with their scissors.” She reached into the box she was carrying, and pulled out large fabric-cutting scissors and made a “snip-snip” motion with them. “I got a bigger pair, anyways.” She laughed.

Looking around the dorm room, she was happy to see she was the first to arrive. She sighed. ”Gods, you’re not lying. This is horrible.” She wrinkled her nose at the opaque white walls, and the generic furniture. She thanked god she brought her own mattress. “Pick one, and make it my bed.” She said, helplessly. “This place needs decorating, asap.” Chewing her bottom lip inward, she turned towards Tyler and put her hands on her hips in a determined way.. “If you give me directions to the closest store, and help me out with carrying the rest of my stuff up here, I’ll give you better then my name..” She winked. “I just so happen to be able to cook, and I bettcha that frat-house of yours would love burgers, hmm?”

Tyler probably should have felt better when Nora said she forgave him - she shouldn't have. Everyone knew Nora Farrow was way too good for Tyler Reynolds, and he had destroyed her in the process. His friends had warned him that he shouldn't get involved with anyone during college, and they had warned him once again that Nora wasn't the type of girl to settle - and she shouldn't of had to. Tyler was Nora settling, absolutely no doubt in that.

But when she said that she had moved on, all he could think about was the ring on her finger, and his heart sank all over again. Nora Farrow probably had a perfect life. Married a doctor, or a lawyer. He probably gave her all the things that Tyler couldn't as a selfish, spoiled rich college kid. He had no idea how to treat a woman, and he had probably treated Nora in such a cringe worthy way that he didn't even want to think about it in retrospect. His version of a date was inviting her over to get piss drunk and ending the night in his bed and going about their days the following morning. And to him, at the time? They had the perfect relationship.

Her forgiveness wasn't something he deserved but he accepted it regardless. At the very least he could live with the fact that she was happy - that she had moved on and someone was giving her the things he should have years ago. But then she did it. She put her hand on his cheek, in the most adoring and loving way. Her touch made the hair on his arms stand straight up. Had it been five years ago, he would have leaned in to kiss her and hold her close. But instead, he was forced to watch her frame walk away. And just like that, Tyler was smitten again. Those childish feelings came rushing back. His love for her came rushing back, all at once. He hated he felt that way but he did. Then she was walking away. Walking right back out of his life.

"Hey..." He said, but she was too far to hear him, so instead he picked up what she had dropped, and opened it up. Her business card.

----- Six weeks later -----

After his encounter with Nora, there was something he couldn't shake. She was as beautiful as ever, she always would be. She had the same sort of hardened attitude where she clearly didn't need anyone or anything. Under neath it all though, he couldn't help but catch this underlying sadness. This sadness that he'd never known Nora to have. Maybe it was just the fact that life changed you as you got older, but he found himself needing to know. Needing to know more about her.

It wasn't like Tyler could just get on a plane and go see a married woman that he was still hopelessly in love with. No. Of course not - that would be insane. It wasn't like he could call her business phone and ask for what - for her to chat? For her to leave her life in California and come hang out with the same loser she had in college? The one who was far more successful and mature than anyone pinpointed - but it didn't change the fact he wasn't good enough? He couldn't do any of that - it was all a little too insane.

What Tyler Reynolds could do though was schedule some appointments in California and have an excuse to travel there. To see her. To see her business. To talk to her.

Had he not made a million grand gestures in his life for Nora, it would have seemed a little ridiculous. Hell, he was a little bit insane. But he did it anyways. It probably paled in comparison to the night he screwed up and forgot her really important fashion show she put on at school because he was too drunk to remember, and he'd spent a crazy amount of money on a necklace and earrings to woo her back in. But in time, he'd realized his actions mattered - his money did not.

And that was how he found himself at small boutique in California. Nora's dream had come true - and he was proud of her. Really, really proud of her and all the work she had accomplished. She was destined to be great - and he had always know that. She was talented, driven and smart. And while Tyler may have been an awful boyfriend when it came to remembering things and being there for her , he had never lacked in his belief of her. He'd never doubted how talented she was, and he'd always been her biggest support and had challenged her where he could to push herself that much further. And he was happy to see without him, she had made it all happen - had they stayed together, she would have been destined to become a Reynolds wife. Stuck in the family business like the rest of them, and she deserved more.

Standing in the middle of the shop, he looked around, removing the sunglasses he had on, standing in a perfectly pressed gray suit - it was obvious he'd been out on meetings. "Anyone ever tell you how great some of this stuff is?" He called out, a small smirk playing across his lips. "I'm dying to know all the hot trends for this year's hand bags. I'm getting a very Michael Kors overdone Logo feel from this one, it's gotta go." He called out a long running joke between the two of them, he was pretty sure she'd never liked it, but she had always laughed anyways.

-------

And just like that. With one simple sentence, Nora Farrow had Tyler completely obsessed. "If you give me directions to the closest store, and help me out with carrying the rest of my stuff up here, I’ll give you better then my name.." With that sentence alone she drove him completely insane. She was all he could think about, talk about and dream about for the coming weeks. All he wanted in his life was Nora.

And that was how it all started. Tyler Reynolds fell helplessly, and fast, for a tiny little freshman girl who was bossing him around and having him load and unload some beat up station wagon. He spent weeks doing anything and everything she wanted, and was even on his best behavior. Then he slowly started to bring her into his world of partying, drinking and just hanging out and skipping classes. He really was the worst thing that probably ever happened to a owman like Nora.

As soon as Nora had left the alumni dinner, where Tyler Reynolds had unexpectedly asked her forgiveness, she’d gone home to her condo and wept. Unsure of the real reason why she was crying, Nora chalked it up to unstable hormones and karma just being a real pain in the ass. The following few days were filled with binge-watched romcoms, takeout, chocolate, and multiple boxes of tissues. Nora ignored her cellphone, hadn’t opened her boutique, and just genuinely didn’t give a shit what was going on in the world outside of her little bubble. She needed to cleanse herself of guilt, pain, and sadness.

It took a solid week for Nora to get back up on her feet again, shower, and look around with a clear head. Her first order of business was selling the condo. She could still smell Noah’s scent in her sheets, and he’d left little random things around like his body wash, and his least favorite pair of shoes. She knew he would never do it intentionally. Even though he was an adultery-committing dickhead, Noah wasn’t the worst guy Nora ever knew. She knew that he wouldn’t purposely rub salt into the already gaping wound, but unfortunately--his belongings and scent were just too much.

The condo was in a popular district, so she wasn’t surprised when the realtor told her it would be a quick sell. Nora didn’t even want full price for it. She just wanted a good enough offer to use on her purchase of new place, somewhere fresh and all her own. Nora never lived on her own before, really. Her college dorm was as close as “alone” as she got, and she barely was there anyways. Most of her college nights were spent cuddled up to Tyler in the frat house, or sleeping some random place at a party. She was excited to explore all the possibilities of what it felt like to have all the say in painting, decorating, and furnishings. It was a level of independence she’d never had, in her personal life.

----

It had taken almost five weeks to complete the sale, but Nora had already packed up all of her belongings and moved into a place that was closer to her Boutique. It was an upstairs apartment in a very modernized square of the city. Nora had originally thought about buying, but when she’d seen the listing for this apartment--she knew it was meant for her. It was an open-floor plan, brightly lit, and sophisticatedly furnished pad. The landlord was actually a client at her boutique, and cut Nora a deal on the rent--for a discount on every purchase at her shop. Nora easily accepted.

Her boutique was doing excellent in sales. Since divorcing Noah, Nora had poured her heart and soul into creating a new line of spring and summer collections. She’d been working non-stop on designs for blouses, dresses, shorts, skirts, and even handbags. Her constant dedication brought in a few partners, who wanted to do a cross-branding on hats, shoes, and shaws. Nora was ecstatic! Her business was finally catching the eyes of the elite in the area, and she was signing deals left and right. It just so happened that Nora was in the back of her shop, doing finished touches on her collection models, when that masculine tone she knew so well, floated through her shop.

Instantly dropping the needle to the floor, Nora tentatively poked her head out from the backroom. In a tailored and pressed suit, with his unkempt hair and beautiful eyes, was Tyler Reynolds. Nora let out a small exhale. How did he find her? She hadn’t a clue. All she did know, was that she couldn’t very well ignore him now. He was, after all, in her store.

His joke about the bags made Nora laugh, though, as she remembered how they’d both shamed the purses after she was tasked with creating a logo duplicate in one of her classes, one semester. They burned the bag in a ritual, after she passed, and joked about it for ages. “No. We’re actually looking at fringe and canvas to be a big hit, in the handbag world this year.” She smiled, as a chuckle escaped.

She was wearing tailored high-waisted black shorts, with a knitted bright-orange crop. Her hair was fishtailed braided back, with a bohemian band across the top of her head. “Welcome.” She motioned her hands around, and then sat her hands on her hips, as her fingers drummed on her waistline. “You’re obviously not here for a suit.” Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “So, what can I do for you, Mr. Reynolds?”

~~~~

“He’ll be okay” Nora exclaimed, as she had one of Tyler’s buddies from the frat house carry him into his room. “Yeah.” He agreed somberly. Nora knew he wasn’t buying it. It was a end-of-the-semester party. They were the worst, in Nora’s opinion. She couldn’t count the cases of alcohol poisoning they’d had at the last one. Tyler hadn’t gotten that bad, though, at the last one. She wasn’t sure what had sent him over the edge this time.

As soon as the jock, Devon, hefted Tyler onto his bed--Nora propped his head up with pillows so he didn’t vomit on himself, grabbed a few wash clothes from the bathroom, and started cleaning her boyfriend off. He’d made a drunken show tonight. He’d gotten shit-faced, paraded around with some girl on his arm...that wasn’t her, kissed this girl, and then tried to start a fist-fight with some random guy from another frat house. They’d got a few swings in, enough to leave Tyler’s face a bit bruised and bloody, before it got pulled to a stop. Tyler had passed out shortly after that.

It wasn’t the first time a lot of this stuff had happened, aside from the fighting. Nora had watched Tyler kiss at least three other girls, two of them while they had been dating. It had been while he was so far gone, drunk-wise, that he couldn’t even remember what had happened in the morning. Nora never told him. She knew he was in love with her, and he’d hate himself for knowing what he’d done. Or so she told herself. Sometimes, especially lately, she wondered if he did remember what had happened...and refused to apologize for it. It wasn’t in Tyler’s nature to apologize.

“You really deserve better than that, Nora.” Devon said, while he watched her clean Tyler’s wounds. “You don’t understand.” She said, as she apologized for Tyler, “He doesn’t know what he’s doing..” Devon shook his head, and grunted. “You used to smack the shit out of him for just looking at another girl, and now--you’re letting him kiss up on freshman? Nora, I don’t know what the hell has happened to you--but seriously..” Devon paused, turning to exit the doorway. “The guy doesn’t know just how lucky he is..”

Nora frowned, as she watched Devon leave. She knew Devon was right. Tyler had changed her in ways she wasn’t sure were good or healthy, but--this was her Tyler, the love of her life...the guy she’d given her virginity to. They’d made promises of a happy life together. Nora never knew what a happy life entailed, but if it meant a few road bumps along the way….wasn’t it worth it?

Tyler couldn’t help but smile as Nora come out and fired off more about fashion. No, He didn’t know the first thing about fashion, but in college he’d always entertained her. He’d been a model, he’d help her study, got to fashion shows, people watch and pick apart outfits. No, it wasn’t his thing but it was Nora’s and so he had entertained her for a time with it. He may not have been the best boyfriend, and he screwed up in a lot of ways – but he also tried harder than he ever had, and it still hadn’t been good enough.

Looking at her, he just had this casual smirk that played across his lips. He’d probably never told her, because it was too mushy, but he absolutely loved it when she pulled her hair back. Something about it made her look so innocent – so bright, so hardworking. He’d pictured her more than once with that hair up, painting a house they shared together, yelling at him for doing it all wrong. It was a fantasy, really. One he never got to live out.

“What can you do for me, Nora Farrow?” He asked, looking around the shop like he was going to find exactly what he was looking for. His eyes wandered down – her finger was now naked. Probably removed those wedding rings to sew, he figured. She was way too good not to be married.

“I’m only in town for a couple of days….business.” He nodded downwards, as if his suit were an indication as to why he was there. Little did she know he pulled a few strings to postpone another trip so he’d have a chance to stop by and see her.

“Well, Ms. Farrow.” He folded his arms and drummed on his upper bicep, as if thinking it through. “You could take a break for coffee and join me.” He suggested, as he looked out the window, a café just a few windows away. “I’d love to hear more about your business – to hear about all of this. How it got started. What you’re doing. I want to hear all of it. Like the old days.”

He looked at her with those hopeful eyes, his smile growing a tad, indicating he was going to deliver some sort of cheesy line. “If you’re nice, I’ll even pull out my Pierre Cardin voice and give it a review.”

----

Tyler screwed up, and that was just what he did. All of college. He never took any of it seriously, especially not his relationship with Nora. He loved her, and he always proved that. When he drank though, he was out of control . In the beginning, Nora had joined him and it had been great. As time went on though, she seemed to focus more on her studies and less on partying, and she sort of became the caretaker. She always made excuses for him, and she shouldn’t have.

There was the girls. The girls he kissed. The girls he flirted with. The ones he talked to. All right in front of her. The biggest mistake was definitely the night he was unfaithful to her. She had never really asked about it, and he had never really told her. But, they both sort of knew. There were rumors, and Tyler never bothered denying them, but he also didn’t really bother explaining it either. Nora seemed content just ignoring it. And so they left the subject untouched.

He missed important things, from dinners, to runway shows and so on. Tyler wasn’t there for any of the ‘big’ events. He was set to graduate before her – a doing of Reynolds money, not his scholarly ways. That’s when it happened. The night he managed to get himself arrested, right before graduation. It was for something stupid, him and his frat brothers, to celebrate graduation, had decided to throw furniture out of the balcony of their house, and soon enough got charged with vandalism.

Luckily, Reynolds money spoke again, and his dad got them all out of jail. But that was when it happened. That was when Tyler Reynolds decided he wasn’t good enough for Nora Farrow, and before he moved off to run the family company, he had to end things with her.

Nora narrowed a look at Tyler, contemplating her words. He was being his charmingly handsome self, talking in his charmingly suave voice. She wanted to throat punch him. All it took was a single look from him, and it swirled up feelings she didn’t want to think about. She had moved on from him, a very long time ago. God knows he’d moved on too. “Well, I think Armani has always suited you just fine.” She said, indicating his attire, before laughing again at his jest. “No. No Pierre Cardin; god you were always horrible at impersonations.” She shook her head, as she made her way towards the counter in the boutique. “Since when did you drink coffee anyways, Reynolds? I thought coffee was for the weak, mm?”

Using her left hand to write with, she used her right hand to flip through her appointment book. Nora already knew she didn’t have consults coming in today, but she was giving herself some time to contemplate. She wasn’t sure if going to coffee with Tyler was a good or bad idea. It wasn’t like Noah was waiting on her at home, anymore. She didn’t have anything to feel guilty about. It wasn’t like she was screwing Tyler behind Noah’s back, or anyone else for that matter. She didn’t have the I’m married, so I don’t think that’s a good idea argument she could use. There was no valid logical reasons not to have coffee with Tyler, aside from the fact that he was her first love and he still gave her butterflies….

“Hmm.” She said, tapping the pen to the counter. “I suppose I can fit you into my schedule.” She pointed the end of the pen at him, with an expectant eyebrow raised. “..but I have a few rules.” She sat down her pen as she held up a hand to pause the conversation. She went back into the back of the boutique and grabbed her messenger bag, phone, and keys.

Once she was back, she strapped her bag across her chest, and motioned him to follow. “First rule: You’re not allowed to pay.” She knew this could potentially infuse an argument, it was something they used to argue about all the time when they were together, but she skipped right into rule two to make sure to cover her boundaries “If you’re getting to question me, I get to question you.” She opened the door to the boutique, and waited until he was outside to turn the sign to say CLOSED, and lock the door.

Finally, she turned to him and stared up at him with a narrowed expression. “Rule number three--this isn’t like old times, so try not to think about it like that.” She paused, before looking both ways and heading across the street. “I’m not going to cozy up to you in a booth while you’re trying to eat. You’re not going to put your arm around me and call me your little firecracker. This isn’t old times. You and me--we’re not what we used to be, and I think the sooner we both realize that--the easier it may just be for us to become..” She paused, as she neared the entrance to the cafe. “Friends. Maybe. Maybe we can become friends..”

Pushing the door open, she motioned for him to go inside. “If you’re up for it still, by all means--Mr. Reynolds. Let’s get coffee, shall we?”

~~~~

“..What do you mean, we’re done?”

“...No..Tyler! We can’t. I love you..”

“...but I don’t want anyone else but you..”

“.. Please don’t do this…”

“......Please…..”

“.......I didn’t even get to say goodbye..”

Pain. There was an overwhelming amount of pain. He’d told her he wanted to see other people, didn’t really think their relationship was going anywhere--and when she’d brought up their plans for a future--he said it was all just superficial. It meant nothing. She meant nothing. Nora knew pain, but never had she felt pain like this before. She dreamed of becoming Mrs. Reynolds. She didn’t care if he had money, even though his family despised that she had none. She didn’t care that her mother had told her she wasn’t good enough for him. She didn’t care that their friends kept telling her she deserved better.

She just didn’t care.

All she wanted in life was to be with him, the love of her life--the boy that had turned her world upside-down. He had taken the outspoken girl-next-door and turned her simple reality into a potential for greatness. He was good for her, in ways a lot of people just didn’t understand. He brought her out of her shell.

But he had left, and now….

…...she didn’t know what she wanted to be anymore; except numb.

Complete and entirely numb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back