Main Thread

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Two vehicles approached the Conner Ranch, a U Haul truck pulling an SUV on a rack, and some monstrosity that resembled a Hummer, but would have dwarfed one, that pulled another vehicle wrapped in a tarp.  The rumors had already gone around.  Mr Connor had a new adopted grandson and his daughter was bringing him to stay at the ranch.  Further, his daughter was going to be Flathead County’s new acting sheriff - until she or someone else was elected.  She was native to Kalispel.

Duncan had slept half the trip up.  That was unusual.  Normally he could barely sit still while traveling.  But he had felt exhausted.  Noone dared wake him though.  He’d been through a lot.  But as was normal he awoke about the time they turned off the interstate to run up highway 93.  It was absolutely scenic on the drive up.  And under any other circumstances he’d have been more excited.  But all he could think of was how his mother - both mothers - would have loved this.  He felt a brief moment of guilt as he remembered that the title of mother now applied to the Sheriff.  Few people had a better idea of what he had gone through in the past year or so.

“Nìng wéi tàipíng quǎn, mò zuò luàn lí rén.”

Though he had never learned Chinese, he was familiar with this particular curse.  Roughly it has usually translated as ‘May you live in interesting times,’ though that was far from literal.  Good luck, bad luck.  He had it all.

Well the good luck here was Ms. Conner.  If not for her he would have been going through all of this alone - as he had claimed he was fine with.  That was far from true and he knew it.  He had seen enough shrinks after killing several members of a gang to know one didn’t walk away from stuff like this unscathed.  The Millers had become the family he had always needed.  Now … He blinked away the sudden rage that started to fill him.  He wasn’t the only one hurting.  He and the Millers had treated Masumi like family.  Marcia was much newer and could easily have found other work.  But he had asked her to stay, telling her to name her salary.  

No Alfred jokes.

Gary spoke up.  As usual he wore his earpiece like a Secret Service agent.  “Yes Ma’am.  Copy that.  I’ll let Duncan know.  He’s been awake since we turned off I-90.”  Gary looked up in the rear view mirror.  “We’ll be there in about 10-15 minutes.  Ms Conner says don’t worry about trying to unload when we get there.  We can start on that tomorrow.”

+++++++++++

It was mid afternoon when the convoy pulled up.  Their arrival had been delayed when a deputy pulled them over to see if they were lost.  One look at the license of the new acting Sheriff and that was sorted out.  By the time they arrived Mr Conner was already there to greet them.  He steeled himself to meet the dopehead gang banger he was expecting to meet for a grandson.

In his eyes his daughter hadn’t aged a bit.  She was still his little girl.  He eyed the driver of the monstrosity he would soon learn was a limo.  (Good God Almighty!  Who would waste the money on a vehicle like that?”)  The man was a fighter.  There was no mistaking the way the man started scanning the area for hazards, possible snipers …  Bodyguard.  It seemed like a waste of money.  But then again, if the boy’s former parents had been rich, and he was the sole heir, then maybe not so much a waste.

The driver nodded at Mr Conner and walked around to get the door for Masumi and Marcia.  Duncan got his own door.

Duncan stood up slowly.  His legs ached from the long drive.  But he slowly drew himself to his full 6’4” height and stretched.  Then he started to look around through Ray Ban covered eyes.  Then he took a step forward, a modest limp apparent as he walked over to greet his new grandfather.

“Uhm, Mr Conner?  Duncan.”

Mr Conner looked the young man up and down briefly.  This did not fit the image he had expected.  Clean cut, tall, strong.  He looked like anything but the loser he’d expected.  He decided to be civil, more like a grandfather, than he had planned.  “A pleasure Duncan.  Maddie tells me she adopted you, so I guess that makes you my new grandson.”

“Yes sir,” Duncan’s reply was automatic, almost military.

A little at a loss for what to say, Mr Conner decided to just be a good host.  “Well, dinner isn’t for a few more hours.  Why don’t you wander around and get the lay of the land while I speak with Maddie?  We are in the height of the season - such as it is.  Our capacity is over twice what we have now.  I think we have maybe 30-35 guests now.”  He looked down.  “You have any boots?”

“Just combat boots.  My stepfather was Air Force.  I sort of got used to using them for work, camping, fishing, hunting ... whatever.  But yes sir, I have something better than tennis shoes to step in the steaming piles with.”  Duncan allowed a faint smile.

The old man’s face brightened a little.  That sounded promising.  “Well, before you get too adventuresome, make sure you find one of the hands to show you the ropes.  You have much experience with horses?”

Duncan nodded and actually grinned.  “Absolutely … all of it bad.”  He shook his head.  “Long time ago and very little.  I should be regarded as a day 1 beginner.  What I know about horses could fill a postage stamp and that’s about it.”

Still better.  The kid wasn’t overconfident and … he was honest.  And he wouldn’t have to unlearn much.  “Find Brianna.”

Gary told Duncan to leave the luggage, that he’d get it.  Duncan nearly objected, but Gary just gave him one of those ‘big brother’ type looks.  It was how Duncan had come to regard Gary, even if the man worked for him.  The simple truth was Gary just wanted Duncan to stop trying to do everything.  The kid was trying to take on the weight of the world.  Duncan for his part wished everyone would stop treating him like he was fragile.  Maybe they were right.  He half hoped none of the people around here knew his story.  Ms Conner’s father had seemed surprised, so maybe he could get some normal treatment for a change.

“Maddie,” Mr Conner called his daughter.  “How about we catch up …?”  Catch up was his way of saying he wanted to lay down the law.  He was probably going to grill her again about Duncan.

Duncan decided to tune the adults out and head for the horses.  As little as he knew about horses, he had always been drawn to westerns and stories about knights.  So he hated to admit it, but he was a little excited.  He looked around and realized he had no idea where to go.  It was a huge ranch and his legs were only going to take him so far and back before dinner.

“Where do I go?” he called.  “And how far is it?”

Mr Conner realized only then just how new to a ranch Duncan was.  And it struck him the walk might be painful.  “That way, just across the bridge over the river.  Then go left.  Can you drive?  See that old pickup.  She my pride and joy.  Try not to flood it.  If she doesn’t start up the first try or two, pop the hood and tap on the solenoid.  You know what a solenoid is?”

Duncan nodded, surprising the old man.  Solenoids hadn’t been used in decades.  “Automatic or manual?”  It was a dumb question.  He’d figure that out when he found a third pedal.

“Stick.  Can you handle that?”

Duncan looked over at Gary and grinned.  “Homecoming.”

Gary laughed and nodded at Mr Conner.  “He can handle it.”

Mr Conner looked doubtful and a little paranoid at the obvious in joke.  But he didn’t ask.  “Pride and joy.  I drove Maddie to her graduation in that truck.  I think she might have been born in it…”

“Dad!” Madeline Conner objected.

Duncan looked at Mr Conner’s ‘pride and joy’.  It looked ready to fall apart.

++++++++++

Duncan had read the brochure on the Conner Ranch.  It had said the place specialized in western style riding and sponsored a Horse Rescue Farm.  The latter actually interested Duncan more, and he was likely to end up putting more work in there.  But that was where a lot of Mr Conner’s volunteer help worked.  So … maybe not.  Rescue Farms COST money, rather than made money.  Well, that was one way he could help.  

‘Pride and Joy’ managed to make it over to the stables and corral where he had half expected to see bronco busting and cattle roping.  Instead he just saw what to him was a little boring, a trainer holding a longe line with a horse trotting in a circle.  Of course he knew better than to make some sort of smart ass comment to that effect.  He could imagine anyone would have thought his work in physics or chemistry to be far more boring.  Oh he might could find this interesting for a day or so.  But it would just get old fast.

The headed over to the barn where a trainer was lecturing a handful of customers clearly new to riding about the basics of the gear used.  It was early in the class so he just watched at a distance.  He felt a little out of place.  Both customers and trainers were all dressed for the occasion.  He looked as he usually did - blue jeans and a black T shirt.  He had three gloves tucked into his belt - the right hand of his usual pair of fingerless gloves, and a heavier pair of work gloves.  And … Ray Ban sunglasses.  Noone wore sunglasses.  That made sense; they were in a barn.  His were already adjusting to the lower light conditions.

@Checkmate Huntress

Brianna emerged from inside the barn, having been in the middle of cleaning out a paddock when she spotted Duncan. It was pretty obvious as soon as she saw him that this was the boy that Mr. Conner had spent so much time groveling on about. The owner of the ranch had described the boy as some 'junkie from the city' but also had mentioned the fact that his parents, or rather former parents, were very wealthy and that he was probably some 'pompous brat' that was putting it nicely. However, while Mr. Conner had been far from excited at the news of Duncan coming to Kalispel, Brianna was curious to meet him. After all, she doubted he could be both a 'junkie from the city' and a 'pompous brat.' 

Upon first observation, Brianna could tell that he probably wasn't some 'junkie from the city' and the fact that he had actually driven himself over here wasn't playing out for him to be a 'pompous brat' either. He did look a bit lost however, though that was something Brianna decided she would help with as she wandered over to the newcomer. She simply hoped she didn't make things awkward somehow, she did have a knack for doing that.

"I take it you're Duncan?" Brianna asked, suddenly realizing that it may seem awkward that she knew his name without having introduced himself to her, "Mr. Conner mentioned an adopted grandson coming to town... and from the looks of it you aren't from around here. "Offering her hand out for a welcoming handshake, Brianna continued, "I'm Brianna. I work as a ranch hand for Mr. Conner. I could show you around if you'd like?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Duncan wasn’t the sort one could usually sneak up on.  His hearing was every bit as exceptional as his vision.  But even he could be distracted.  He had become so focused on the lesson - even if he wasn’t exactly a paying customer - that he hadn’t seen Brianna approaching.  Of course, he had begun to get a little nervous about his eavesdropping largely because he WASN’T a paying customer.  Family or not, it didn’t feel right.

His head snapped around to look at the redhead, automatically correcting for her height.   He opened his mouth and inhaled as if about to speak, then clamped his mouth shut.  He turned back to the group and mumbled an apology, then gestured back out the door to speak without disturbing the group.  He followed her back out with a mild limp.

“Sorry about that.  I’ll have to go through all that again later anyways.  I missed the beginning anyways.  I don’t know whether to say I’m lost or not.  I don’t even know where I am am looking for.  Mr Collins told me to look for a Brianna.  I guess that’s you - unless there are a lot of Brianna’s running around here.  I’m going to be spending some time here.  I guess he wanted you to start showing me the ropes a little before dinner.  Don’t let me keep you from your stuff though.  I literally just got here.  He’s trying to keep me occupied until dinner.  Oh … I’m Duncan.  Duncan Moran. ”  He had never changed his name even while with the Millers.  Largely it was because all his school records, degrees, PhD. and name of author … were all under Moran.

“I guess Mr Conner is expecting me to do chores.  I already have a job though.  But this would be a nice break from it.  I haven’t been getting out enough as it is.  This should be interesting.  Horses and I have an agreement.  I don’t try to ride them; they don’t try to throw me.”  He chuckled a little.  I lived on a small farm about 5 years ago down in lower Alabama.  It was just on and off.  Nothing much to do there as it was mainly agricultural and just weekend visits while staying with an aunt and and uncle in town.  I’ll need to be treated like an absolute rookie.  About the only thing I ever did in the barn was shovel some manure, and toss around bales of hay.  Some mostly I’m a city boy.  But I have a little experience on a farm.  And I am no stranger to work.  Been working since I was 6.

“I sort of got the impression Mr Conner was expecting me to be something else.  I can guess what.  Mom - Ms Conner - was probably a little evasive.  She was probably afraid I’d overhear.  That would probably be why they sent me down here - so they could talk.  Come to think of it, I might end up in a motel by the end of the day.  I get the impression they have … issues.”  Duncan’s face hardened slightly.

Duncan paused to finally take a breath.  “Tell me I’m not going to have to dress up like … something out of a western.  Mom …” he stopped abruptly.  For a moment there was a silence that became uncomfortable.  “I .. uhm …”  His face contorted into a hard frown.  “Sorry … If I need to dress the part, I could use some help not looking like some actor.  I have zero fashion sense.  For today though, I brought work gloves.  I have jeans and boots - combat boots.  I was a military brat.  And I have a few hours before dinner.

“I don’t care what job you put me on.  Heck, if there’s one everyone else hates that I can physically do, by all means.”  He held up his left hand.  “Poor grip with this hand.  Hurt it pretty bad a year ago.  My whole left side is a bit of a mess.  To be honest, I’m not sure if I can get ON a horse.  Left hip is messed up too.”

@Checkmate Huntress

Brianna took a moment to think before she replied, while Duncan was certainly unfamiliar with the way things were, and how people around here went about things, he certainly didn't seem unwilling to carry his own weight. That was a good start, especially since she had been expecting a posh, city boy who hadn't worked with his hands a day in his life. 

"Alrighty. You can help me out this afternoon finishing up some jobs, while we do that it can double as a tour of the ranch." Brianna said with a grin, as she did so, looked Duncan up and down again.

"As far as your attire goes... well so long as you don't care too much that you stick out like a sore thumb you'll be fine. You've already got the important parts." She remarked, "Gloves, boots and a pair of jeans you aren't worried about getting muddy will serve you just fine."

Brianna hadn't been very irritated by his remarks about 'dressing up like something out of a western,' most people from out of state tended to lump Montana in with southern states as 'redneck.' Which simply wasn't the truth. "Cowboy hats and boots tend to be used either functionally or formally. So aside from on the ranch, you aren't going to see anybody dressed like something out of a western." Brianna said with a backwards glance as she started back towards the barn, indicating for Duncan to follow.

Once inside Brianna handed Duncan a broom and gestured to the paddocks she had been working on. "I was just finishing sweeping the barn out, you can help me with that. Then we'll take the truck down to the rescue and stables with some supplies."

Duncan shrugged and indicated the three gloves he wasn’t wearing yet and the combat boots.  He normally wore one light, fingerless glove.  But this time he had brought a heavy pair of leather work gloves.  That meant he was ready to actually work.  “I suspect the boots will stick out a little.  But I never liked cowboy boots.  I did have a pair, but outgrew them.”  He stared into some haunted abyss from his past and shook his head.  “I’ll think about it though.  Combat boots won’t work well with riding a horse now that I think about it.  Tennis shoes maybe, but not these.”

He followed Brianna about like an obedient dog.  He took orders well.  So far he was dispelling most of the rumors floating around about him.  And he worked well too, expecting to have his work inspected and critiqued.  When it came to sweeping he was thorough.  He even worked at getting the corners cleaned out and almost noone ever bothered with that.  But she did catch him using his left arm like a stick to hold back the broom rather than holding it in his hand by the time they got finished with the sweeping.  He didn’t complain, but it clearly hurt his hand to grab something hard for long periods and work the hand.

But when it came to grabbing supplies he seemed to find new energy.  He barely used his left, but she saw him grab two 50 pound bags of feed with his right hand like they were nothing and lay them over his left arm, then grab two more and start walking effortlessly.  He barely broke a sweat, but when they were done loading up he complained slightly about being a little out of shape.

Duncan clearly had a little experience hooking up a trailer to a pickup.  He had it hooked up in record time - though he wasn’t the most experienced with a stick.  And he knew about spreading the weight of the load so the weight wasn’t too much on the hitch.  What he lacked in experience he made up for with common sense.

As they approached the rescue farm the expression on Duncan’s face began to darken.  He had already spotted a couple horses that had been victims of neglect.  Their ribs were readily visible.  He hardly even glanced at the horse with a broken leg.  In his mind neglect and abuse were clearly the worse crimes.  It was pretty obvious he wanted to go and see the horses, but he was a disciplined sort of guy and forced himself to concentrate on getting the supplies delivered.  That meant getting done quicker.  And that left a little time for looking at the horses.

It was pretty obvious that seeing the rescue horses stressed him out a lot.  He was patient and didn’t try to just walk right up to one without one of the experienced caretakers permission.  But finally he was allowed to feed a little alfalfa ot one …  He eyed the caretaker and grabbed a second handful as there was a second horse close by they were working with.  They said the second one was way too shy of strangers.  They were wrong.  Duncan fed one.  The other nosed halfway.  Duncan just held the second handful out and wouldn’t let the first one get greedy.  He just looked at the second one and nodded.  “This one’s for you.”  Meanwhile his other hand grabbed a second handful for the first horse to keep it occupied, careful not to move the offering to the second horse in a way that might spook it.

The second horse moved in and took the offering, then backed off.  Duncan made no signs of noticing.  Instead he just butted his head up to the first horse and smiled.  Then he backed off.  He glanced over at the caretaker.  “Other one’s going to take a little patience.”  

@Checkmate Huntress

Brianna was grooming another horse across the Rescue Center while Duncan had his opportunity to feed some of the malnourished horses. It brought a smile to her face to see how gentle he was with them, not being too assertive or too passive. He was a natural with the horses, at least when catering to their behavior. 

The noticeable limp that Duncan had did somewhat concern Brianna. It would certainly be an issue if he wanted to ride. An older and more easygoing horse would be necessary to start him off on..

Once she was done, Brianna made her way over to Duncan and asked if he wanted to go see the Breeding Center. It was one of her favorite parts of the ranch, the foals were so cute and she enjoyed feeding them carrots.

When her Seamus was born it's mother had passed away shortly after giving birth. Brianna had spent long summer days taking care of the foal and grew a bond with it from then on.

Duncan had begun rubbing his left hand more and more.  He became aware that the lone glove had begun to draw attention already.  “Minor Inconvenience.”  Duncan nodded and held up his left hand and spoke in a mild but lousy British accent..  “It’s only a flesh wound.”  He laughed a little.  “Never saw the movie, but a friend in college told me about it.”  He stopped and winced.  He hadn’t meant to say anything about college - at all. He tried to just ignore it and move on. But he realized that wasn’t going to work well either.  He flushed a little.  “My Mom worked at the UNM Medical Center.  Uhm .. not Mr Conner’s daughter.  My previous mother.”

He had turned a little pale as his mind raced to dig himself out of a hole.  “Ms Conner is my third mother.  But I’d rather not go telling the whole ranch.  I hate the way people keep looking at me every time the subject comes up - like I’m fragile.”  He paused and reached up to remove the glove.  There was a scar from about an inch and a half from his wrist all the way up between his 3rd and 4th fingers.  His hand had basically been split in half.  “About a month after I got that I went back to playing the guitar and I am right handed.  I can’t reach the hard stretches anymore.  But I manage pretty well.”

He gestured to his limp.  “Gunshot wounds.  One each upper leg, but the left got it worse.  Again, within a month I started playing football - as a kicker though.  Took a few gunshot wounds and stabbings to the upper body, so my lung capacity was reduced.”  He laughed a little.  “But they were going to cancel the football program and I hate the idea of giving up.  So I designed a little extra defensive gear, passed a physical - and yes the doctor thought I was crazy - and signed up.  I don’t even really like football.  And I hate baseball.  I just happen to be good at them.  We made it to the championship.  Small league.  Anyways, I may have to mount a horse backwards - leftie style - and roll on.  Might work.”  He laughed again.  “I used to do some gymnastics, but I don’t think a horse is going to like a springboard approach.”  He glanced at Brianna.  “Wanna bet the coach will scout me before school even starts?”

He gestured for Brianna to lead the way.  “Sorry, I babble sometimes, like when I am nervous as all hell - like when I am completely out of my element.  I belong in a lab.  But my lab here won’t be ready for a bit.”  He looked around as he fell in beside Brianna.  “You know, I might be able to drum us up some extra business.  Instead of flying out to meet everyone else, I could have them come see me.”  He stopped and winced - again.  Then shook his head as if changing a mental channel.

“I suppose everyone is going to find out eventually about me being Mr Conner’s adopted grandson.  I wish I could just go incognito.  But …”  He stopped.  

“I’m afraid this is pretty much all I have to wear.  I used to have work clothes - about a year ago, but they got locked up in a crime scene - and by now I have long outgrown them.  I have been replacing my wardrobe every couple months for the past year.  But you might have noticed a lack of fashion sense.  This is my fallback clothing when I have outgrown everything else.  Jeans always work.  And T shirts are forever.  Right … no?  

+++++

The Breeding farm was definitely more fun.  And Duncan couldn’t help but grin at the foals.  While feeding the foals was fun, they barely knew how to take a carrot.  So that was slow going.  On the other hand, he could enjoy watching them play with balls for considerably longer.  That had him grinning.  But as much as he enjoyed the breeding farm, the Rescue Farm seemed to strike a much stronger chord.

It was getting close to dinner time so Duncan tried to strike up a little lighter conversation.  “So what is there to do around here.  I saw a mall, but that is going to get boring fast.  I don’t exactly know many people around here.  And school is still a month and a half off.  I guess I DO need to shop for something to wear.  Mom will help me get my car registered and license switched over.  That’s going to be a headache and a half.  The car is experimental - built from scratch - literally.  Only stuff in it that wasn’t made from raw materials are things like safety gear - seat belts, headlights, and such.  It’s safer than any commercially built car on the road, but try convincing DMV of that.”

@Checkmate Huntress

"I get the same way when I'm not at the ranch or at home. It's nothing to worry about." Brianna said, referring to his nervousness, "If you wanna be on the football team you can probably make it, though I suspect if your old school was that small then there was less competition to make the team than there is here. Flathead High takes football seriously." 

Brianna personally wasn't a fan of football. However, just about everyone around Kalispell knew about the overall success of the Flathead High football team. Back in 2009 the star of the football team was Brock Osweiler, who has gone on to play in the NFL. The school had a reputation for regularly producung CFL players and thr occasional NFL player.

Brianna actually preferred baseball. She had led off for her middle school team and had an average of over .300. However, she tried out for the high school team, and after much debate was told that she couldn't join the team, since she was a girl. She had tried softball for a season in her freshman year and had been a standout on the team when it came to hitting and fielding, but just hadn't found it as exciting as baseball and after a single season, quit the softball team to be a manager for the baseball team. 

"As far as your clothes go, I'm sure that we can find something suitable if you're interested." Brianna had certainly noticed how much he stuck out, and could tell from the looks others gave him that she wasn't the only one to notice.

+++++

"Hunting. Hunting is huge." Brianna said in reply to his inquiry of what there was to do, "I'm not into that though... I spend most of my time here at the ranch." 

"As far as recreation goes. Sports are big, and in the winter you can ski not too far away from here," Brianna had always been content with how much there was to do around town, but she got the feeling that Duncan wasn't as impressed.

"What do you drive? Have a truck of your own?" Brianna asked, trying to keep up the conversation. It hadn't been that hard, Duncan seemed like the kind of person who could talk for hours on end about just about any subject.

“My old school wasn’t small.  Albuquerque Academy.  Probably a bit smaller than Glacier High though.  The problem was a lack of participation.”  

“Yeah, not much of a hunter myself either.  I mean, I can shoot.  Just because I don’t like something doesn’t mean I can’t be good at it.  I’ve never missed.”  He shrugged like it was no big deal.  “I had some Marines for trainers.  No nonsense.  And my stepfather ran Rod and Gun Clubs at every base we were assigned to.  And … he’s probably why I never liked hunting … or baseball … or football.”  He shrugged again.

“I’ve skied before.  Water and last winter I learned to snow ski, though I was still healing.  I used to live in Albuquerque.  Sandia Peak is right next to the city.  My … uhm .. parents … my last … the Millers … had a cabin up there.”

“Now the car is another matter.  It’s an experimental ATV.  Most states classify it as an SUV.  Royal pain, but that’s what I get for being different.  I call it a solar hybrid with zero emissions.  It’s a work in progress.  But it’s safe to run on or off roads.  My other car --” he paused and laughed, “ … is a limo.  Scary looking thing.  Dwarfs a hummer.  Down in New Mexico driving onto to military proving grounds it made sense.  Around here … “ he laughed.  He clearly found the idea of sticking out amusing.

He sighed.  “I am sure there have been rumors.  If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask.  I just don’t want to tell the whole world.  I am betting you were expecting someone … rougher around the edges.  The whole gang and drugs thing was my stepbrother.  All the damage to my body?  That was his rival gang.  Someone floated a rumor that I had joined his old gang after he was killed.  They broke into the house and killed my mother - my birth mother.  All that was a year ago.  My Stepfather had been in prison for child abuse.  He pissed someone off in prison and he’s gone now.

“Enter the Millers.  Great people.  They were rich.  My original family was dirt poor.  We used to dumpster dive.  The Millers were the parents I had always needed.  About a month ago they were in Paris celebrating their 25th anniversary.  There was a bombing.”  He shrugged and took a long breath.  “Ms Conner handled the case with the gang stuff.  She found out about the bombing and asked to be the one to break the news.  She figured her past with me would help.  I guess she was right.  Nothing I could have done in either case to prevent anything.  Doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt.  But maybe that clears up all my ‘uhms’ when I start talking about this mother and that.  Ms Conner is Mom now.  For me it is that simple.”

@Checkmate Huntress

"Limo?! Just how rich are you?" Brianna usually hated being so abrasive with topics like that, but couldn't resist. Duncan had seemed to be on the wealthier side, but Brianna was beginning to suspect that he was more than just wealthy. 

The other thing that had surprised Brianna was his acceptance of Ms. O'Conner as his mother so quickly. Brianna doubted she could ever replace her own mother. Even with the woman her father had been dating going on several years, and she suspected would soon be engaged to, Brianna simply couldn't. She found her dad's girlfriend, Marissa, nice enough, but she had never once considered her ever being anything of a maternal figure to her.

Not to say Duncan wasn't upset over the loss of both his birth mother and now the Millers. That was painfully obvious to Brianna. She could see it on his face when he brought it up that it affected him deeply.

Duncan shrugged, then laughed - one of those helpless laughs.  "How rich ...?  I have no idea.  I mean I have several sources of wealth.  I have a residual income from books I started publishing when I was 12.  I have patents in my name already.  I built a think tank.  And I have a real estate business.  It's not a small one either."  His face lost its humor.  "And then there's the inheritance likely headed my way.  I may have a fight for it.  Probably not though.  Mom - Mrs Miller - was pretty shrewd.  She was the one who came from money.  Her family disowned her and disinherited her when she married my father.  But she was already wealthy by that time through her own investments and they couldn't touch those.  That was 20 years ago.  She never showed it off much, but I think she was more than a billionaire.  So as you can imagine I have my work cut out for me over the next few years.  Thing of it is, I am guessing she was in the black - no debts.  That is what usually holds things up as assets are liquidated to pay off liens and taxes.  I'm not going to let them sell anything off though - not if I can cover the taxes.  I think I can."

He stopped and let the numbers sink in a bit.

“You know, if you don’t HAVE to be home I could see if Mr Conner will set a place for you at the table.  One extra guest shouldn’t hurt.  Then I could run you home.  If Mom doesn’t think I should drive Baby - my ATV - I can have Gary drive us over.”  He grinned.  “The Limo is bulletproof.  Can’t get much safer than that.”

@Checkmate Huntress

Brianna thought for a moment. Visualizing what it would be like to pull up in front of her house in a limousine... While she was sure her dad wouldn't like that idea, he didn't need to know that small detail. Besides, with school only a little more than a month away he had his work cut out for him, if she went home she would likely be making dinner for herself anyways.

"Umm sure. If you don't think it would be an issue," Brianna said. She was actually excited to spend more time with Duncan, the way he talked about things that were extravagant to her as if they were regular things to him was intriguing. She hadn't even had the chance to remark about the fact that apparently written books, had multiple patents, and had made something called a think tank. All she was able to do was watch him curiously and with wide eyes.

Duncan managed to get Pride and Joy back to the ranch house in one piece.  He guessed that Brianna might be a little nervous to be invited at the last second to dinner at the Conner’s, especially with Mr Conner being her boss.   But Duncan had no issues with going in and asking.  He was polite enough about it, and apologized for the late notice.  Mr Conner didn’t seem entirely thrilled at that particular fact, but the truth was the population explosion of adding in two butlers and a driver along with family made it seem to hardly matter.  And Marcia was handling the butlering like an old pro - which she was.  

Marcia had insisted that Masumi rest.  The Millers had become like family to her.  And Duncan treated the woman very much like family.  Marcia was older and had been Duncan’s private estate manager.  She, too, had had conversations with Mrs Miller.  But it hadn’t been quite as personal.  Gary also helped.  He was a former US Marine and knew when he needed to step up.

It was Duncan who seemed to be the strongest.  And that worried everyone.  Surely the bot was going to crack under this strain.  But if he was, he gave no sign of it.

“Mom, do you think the ATV is okay to drive Brianna home after dinner?  Mr Conner, with all due respect, I don’t think it appropriate for me to go parking with Brianna on a first drive - and if I take Pride and Joy, that seems all too likely.  Either that or I am going to see some return fire from one of Mom’s deputies.  I may just have to kidnap your truck and give it an overhaul.”

Mr Conner chomped at his bit, then laughed.

Mrs Conner shook her head.  “Best to wait until we get the ATV registered before putting it on the road.”

Gary spoke up.  “I’ll get her home.  But perhaps we should call to let her father know where she is?”

Mr Conner nodded.  “I’ll handle that.”  He flipped out his smartphone and fiddled with it scowling - not at having to make a call - but at the phone itself.  He got up to take the call to another room.

Duncan laughed.  “Took me three weeks to learn how to answer my phone.”

+++++++

It was a basic ranch meal.  Meat and potatoes with veggies.  Mr Conner hadn’t gone all out.  And he hadn’t let Marcia spoil him - too much that is.  He did admit the steak was better than usual.  Then he grumbled about needing to ask how she cook the steak like that.  That got Mrs Conner to stare at her father.  It was the first time she could remember that he had ever asked how to cook a steak.

After the meal, Duncan escorted Brianna to the limo.  (link to the limo and its options are on Duncan’s CS)  

[SIZE= 14px] [/SIZE]

@Checkmate Huntress

Brianna was absolutely astonished by the sight of the limo. It was bigger than she had expected, much bigger. For a moment, all she did was stare in awe. How on earth anybody could afford such a car was beyond her, and that was before she saw the inside.

Again, Brianna was speechless. Brianna couldn't even comprehend how much it must cost. "Oh my gosh! This is amazing," Brianna said as she gaped at all the features. Quite frankly, the limousine was nicer than her own home.

"If this is your car, then what is your house like? Is it one of those robot houses where you can just be all like 'lights on' and then -poof- the lights turn on?!" Brianna was excited, to say the least, she had had a great afternoon and had enjoyed having dinner witb Duncan and the O'Conner's. 

After the drive to her house was over, Brianna parted with Duncan, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow at the ranch? I'll probably be down there again most of the afternoon so..."

As she stepped out of the limo she saw her dad standing on the porch, a stern yet shocked look on his face. She imagined most people in Kalispell were pretty shocked to see the hulking car.

Duncan slunk down in his seat as they approached Brianna’s house and saw her father waiting.  Gary glanced up in the rear view, amused as usual.  There was a silent couple of gestures between the two.  Gary smiled, slightly surprised.  When they got to her house it was gary who jumped out to get the door for Brianna.  Duncan just did his best to hide.

“Uhm, yeah.  See you in the morning.”  Duncan reply was a little short.  “Yeah.  Morning.  Hope he isn’t mad.”  He just prayed for the door to shut.

Once it did he slumped.  She didn’t say she was THAT Davis.  Her dad was the football coach.  Oh THAT was going to go over well.  His thought were disrupted by Gary returning to the driver’s seat.

The older male look back, unable to resist a smile.  “Shall I rev the engines to impress her?”

Duncan snorted a laugh.  “Do and I’ll … think of something …. Horrible.”

“What’s the deal?”

“Her dad.  He’s the football coach!”  Duncan confessed.

“Oh!” Gary laughed, finally understanding.  “Afraid he’ll sic his daughter on you?  What are you a man or a mouse?”

“We’re not moving…” Duncan observed out loud.  

++++++++++

The next morning Duncan was up before dawn.  Mr Conner was a little surprised at that as well. But he told Duncan to relax for now - at least until he had some real training under his belt.  The old man scowled a little at Marcia who was taking over his kitchen.  She had made him ‘real’ coffee to try instead of his usual swill.  He was still grouching about it.  Her coffee WAS good.  Of course she claimed her tea was better - and better for you.  That didn’t fly with Mr Conner at all.  But on the way out Duncan asked about the coffee and the old man confessed the coffee was better, with threats of dire consequences if Duncan ever told anyone he said so.

Duncan decided to suggest Marcia just leave him a choice.  Marcia had already seen Mr Conner pouring out his swill into a 3rd cup and replacing it with the good stuff then pouring his swill into the cup Marcia had offered nearly burning himself trying to hurry before he was caught.  Marcia had discretely backed off and let the old man get away with it.

Of course, Mrs Conner showed up, saw the cup Marcia had poured and asked it it was for her.  Marcia wasn’t able to stop the new sheriff in time before she took a sip and made a face.  SHE had tasted Marcia coffee before.  She looked at Marcia, down at the coffee, and back up at Marcia and busted up laughing.  Marcia tried to apologize but Mrs Conner was laughing too hard and trying to apologize for her very stubborn father.

Duncan followed Mr Conner around, trying to help as best he could.

Brianna had to spend a good 30 minutes explaining to her flabbergasted father as to why she had been dropped of in a limousine. She explained whp Duncan was and why exactly he had come to Kalispel. 

The conversation concluded with her father demanding he meet this 'Duncan' next time he came around.

+++++++++++

Brianna woke around 7 AM the next morning and begun the automatic process that was her morning routine. Shower, get dressed, refill her cat's food and water, and make a breakfast of eggs and toast for her and her 13 year old brother, Carlton, who would be getting up soon. Her dad had already left in order to do some work at the school, so it was Brianna's responsibilty to make breakfast for Carlton. 

After eating Brianna headed out to her car, a beat up BMW that used to belong to her father. It was painted a dull silver that had long since lost its sheen. She didn't like driving it down to the ranch, it wasn't in good condition and on more than one occasion it had failed on her. It was more useful for driving around town. 

Yesterday she had gotten a ride Mr. Conner since he had needed help picking up supplies at the store and picked her up on the way. Today however she would have to take her car down to the ranch. 

However, this task turned out to be trickier than she had first thought. After finally starting up the car with several attempts, her car let out a noise she had never heard it make before it started billowing smoke out from the under the hood.

Swearing up a storm, Brianna shut the car off and lifted the hood, as if this would somehow solve anything. She knew absolutely nothing about cars or how they worked. Pulling out her phone with bubbling irritation, Brianna dialed the number for Mr. Conner, hoping he would be able to send someone to pick her up. Fixing the car would have to wait.

Duncan showed up shortly in the Limo, which was pulling an empty trailer to haul her car.  This time, instead having to face Brianna’s father, it was her kid brother Duncan had to face,  THAT was a lot easier.  The Limo would take care of that little problem.

“Hey Brianna.  I unloaded my ATV and brought the trailer over.  If you like we can either take it to a shop, or you can let me take a look at it.  Truth to tell cars aren’t really my strong point.  But my Mom - Dr Miller - drove a BMW - not this model though.  If nothing else we can save you the cost of a tow.

“So … “ he looked at her brother.  “I’m Duncan.  Mr Conner’s new grandson.  Yes, Mom is the new Acting Sheriff.  Yes, the Limo is mine.  And yes, you can check it out.”

Duncan glanced back at Brianna.  “So what does HE do all day?  Does he ever check out the ranch?  Back where I came from you couldn’t leave someone his age unattended.  But that was a city.  I’m supposed to have a DOT inspector coming out later today to look over my ATV to register it.”

(OOC: sorry this one is really short.)

Brianna turned around to see that Carlton had been ogling at the limousine from the front door. I'm the commanding tone that any irritated sibling would use, Brianna yelled "Carlton go back inside!"

Much like most younger siblings might, Carlton simply ignored his older sister and joined her in the driveway. "The Anderson's will be here to pick me up in a minute, what's the hurt with me staying outside?"

Brianna just rolled her eyes as he, without asking, walked over to the limousine and proceeded to check out the inside. His amazement could be heard as he yelled in excitement "You have an Xbox in your car! That's awesome!!!"

Brianna blushed in embarrassment and tried to ignore her brother, hoping that Duncan would do the same, "I'm sorry about him... If you could look under the hood I would appreciate it. If you don't know what's wrong a tow would be a lifesaver too..." 

"It's honestly on its last leg, almost 20 years old now, but I can't afford a new car, almost all my money goes towards horse feed and whatnot..." Brianna explained as she showed Duncan that smoke had been billowing from beneath the hood.

Brianna would've been happy with just getting a ride from one of the workers, but when Mr. Conner said Duncan would be coming down, it reminded her that Duncan had mentioned working on an ATV, so he probably new a bit about cars, or at least she assumed he did.

“Twenty years old …” Duncan rubbed the back of his neck a little anxiously.  “Well, the hard part is coming up with the parts.  If I had all my tools I could get the specs and build new parts.”  He smiled a little sheepishly.  “I’m not really all that good with cars to be honest.  I mean build a Mars rover?  Old news.  I’m working on a Europa Lander.  That’s actually what some of the stuff I have on the ATV is for.  It’s actually my old science experiment.  It doesn’t have a regular motor in it.”  He grinned.  “That would be boring.”

Duncan raised his voice to speak to Carlton.  “Got all sorts of games in there.  Probably not the most recent ones though.  Haven’t bought any new ones in a year.  That’s the last time I updated.  Haven’t really played that many either.  I never get the time.  Well, I have a feeling I’ll be playing taxi for your sister for awhile until we get her car fixed or replaced.”  He grinned his eyes rolling slightly to Brianna.  “To bad you gotta be elsewhere or you could join us.  Maybe next time …”

Duncan lowered his voice back to speaking to Brianna only.  “He’s fine.  I had twin half brothers.  They’ll be 9 in October.  Letting him have a little fun is … I really don’t mind.  Sort of like having a kid brother again for a little bit.”

Duncan turned back to the limo.  “Hate to break this love affair you have with the Xbox up so soon, but I suspect Mr Conner is going to be counting the minutes until I get your sister to work.  The horses don’t take care of themselves.  I mean, think about it.  What would happen if your sister didn’t fix you breakfast in the morning?  I figure either your be all skin and bones … or the your house would make a great barbecue.”

Saturday July 15, 2017

Conner Ranch

Duncan had been at the ranch for 3 days now.  His ATV had been registered, which proved a nuisance, but Duncan had done his homework.  Brianna’s car was on blocks, but he had volunteered to play taxi - either with Gary and the limo or the ATV.  The DMV inspector had clearly not been amused by Duncan’s efforts to assure him the car was safe.  When they returned from the field the car had clearly been rolled repeatedly - with the inspector inside.  Duncan had assured the man that he had no intention of ever pulling those stunts on the road.  But the man admitted the car had THE safest restraint system he had ever witnessed.  And as all the rest fit into an SUV’s profile, he had passed it.

Now Duncan just had to transfer his license and that was easily done.  For proof of residence he had Mr Conner and his daughter with him.

Duncan had already started having his lab expedited.  He “needed” his 3D printers.  He “needed” all sorts of things - mostly things noone else seemed to understand.  He also opened discussions about setting up some meetings on the ranch for some of his professional contacts - which apparently included Pentagon officials and all sorts of other military brass, as well as NASA and Lockheed Skunkworks personnel.

Ms Conner had decided Duncan was going to take riding lessons, as well as fishing and hunting ‘lessons’.  She put her foot down and told Duncan this was non-negotiable.  Mr Conner was taking Duncan personally for the hunting and fishing.  They had decided Brianna was going to help Duncan learn how to ride a horse starting Monday the 17th.

But the morning of the 15th something happened that would change life on the ranch forever.  Mr Conner got a call early in the morning after Briana showed up.  It was her day off, but she still had to care for her own horse.  The call went directly to Mr Conner’s cell, which meant it was someone who knew him personally.  Judging by the look on Mr Conner’s face it wasn’t good news.  

“Duncan, Brianna … go and grab Kelly!  Tell her severely injured horse.  Bring the Vet Van.  I have to make a judgement call on this one.  It sounds like he’ll have to be put down.  If we don’t get there first, Animal Services will make the call and they will go with the call none of us wants to make.”  The older man looked at Duncan.  “You should sit this one out.  I don’t think your mother --”

“I’m coming.  You’re probably right.  I am bringing Baby.  I am tired of people treating me like I am fragile.”

Mr Conner looked hard at Duncan.  He had no way to guess how Duncan would respond to a horse this bad off.  It sounded like he was just going to have to put the animal down.  He glanced over at Brianna.  “Well?  Go get Kelly!”

++++++++++

OOC:  Yeah, I already thought of a name for the horse.  Patches.  Duncan’s idea.

zopHeRxOrJBmPiIXFHaWRXE7FaDsC-0CK4rvQxYCnVixlcyCUD-1sO_6NwQRN6nepobhbH2qYsdMgD2iwSqYDB7srTAlxMecJffbsn-jjGWH0zJIaRjpBrZR6EQnvtsyH-RcJP9-

What Patches coat sort of looked like once upon a time.  Only he was uglier.  Blotchy.

wNx9btpofeGsTF6nv-drNi1WY-TPRGRY-SQFyMUwwamIr74TY8CYU4aQefXJp5G1xjCYt3KBIdUoNrqSulaJRlxqgu6lKlb0lDJeCxT268AV0IU4xCj8Uv5rea3oGEGGmxzAL65A

Bit closer to the texture of Patches fur once cleaned up.  Bare spots here and there.  And that isn’t counting the whip marks and barbwire injuries.

ym2Aw13sr73RDjoeZE0vwhwrKX8m8ok34YyiwLhD2sDTL3SEdtdSLUNgpUTdBHB-iixEd0BW0_-h8JB029JCDvBT06iNJRxSE4h3lfYAZ0-iFOi_88mheum1ACyp2LISaQdHRvbE

Patches was attached to a broken plow, half sunk in mud that he had dragged for miles.

++++++++

It wasn’t often that Mr Conner cursed around his employees, especially the girls.  He had been the Sheriff once upon a time and had tried to set a good example.  But the sight of what was once a horse half sunk in mud brought a few choice words to his lips.  Nothing short of a crane or tow truck was going to lift that horse out of the mud.  And his first impression was that his worst fears were coming true.

The horse was so tangled up in the barbwire that any movement was just causing more injury.  It had literally ripped a half dozen posts out of the ground while dragging the plow.  He wasn’t exactly a small horse.

The look on Duncan’s face was a mixture of pain and rage.  It wasn’t the barbed wire or the plow.  No as he got closer it became very apparent what had him so angry.  It was the whip marks.  His hands clenched into tight fists - even his left hand.  Then slowly he unclenched them.  Duncan looked back.  “He’s dehydrated.”

“Duncan,” Mr Conner’s voice was gentler than usual.  He had been afraid of this.  “He’ll bleed out before we can even get him loose.  It would be more humane --”

Duncan shook his head.  “No, he won’t!  He fought to make it this far.  We are going to give him a fighting chance.  I have an idea to stop the bleeding.  And …. I can get him out of there once we cut him loose.”

Brianna had knelt down next to Patches. Tears were in her eyes, she always hated seeing animals in pain, but she would try to keep her composure now. Tears would be for later, besides all that would do was spook the horse and cause more bleeding. Instead she resorted to comforting the horse, running a soothing hand along his mane and offering whispers of encouragement. She had completely tuned out Duncan and Mr. Conner. She just wanted to attend to the hurt animal and that was all. 

Thankfully she had managed to stop the thrashing that Patches was doing, she had gently pulled a few strands of the barbed wire away from his face so he wouldn't snag himself any more. Offering more words to the horse, she began to slowly try to work the wire out of his mane. It was really difficult, she had to be sure that she didn't tug hard otherwise it would cause more pain and send Patches into a fit. If he were to get worked up he would likely only last several moments before it was truly irrecoverable, although the fact that he was stuck this deep in the mud didn't speak well for Patch's chance of survival. 

Brianna didn't know who had let this happen to such an innocent and gentle creature, but it infuriated her. She wanted to beat up whoever had mistreated Patches. He shouldn't have been put into a scenario in which this could happen. Even though accidents weren't uncommon, this seemed like blatant mishandling to Brianna. 

"It's going to be alright buddy... We're gonna get you out of there..." Brianna whispered as she knelt down next to the horse, when finally she picked up something from the conversation that she actually cared to involve herself in, "You have an idea? What is it?!"

Brianna was unsure how Duncan, someone who was obviously inexperienced with working on a farm would know what to do. Yet he was smart, he had made that much obvious in the several days he had been at the ranch. If he had an idea then surely it couldn't hurt to just hear him out.

Saturday July 15, 2017

Conner Ranch

[SIZE=12pt]Duncan turned away from Mr Conner at the sound of Brianna’s question.  His voice was ragged at first.  He was forcing himself to calm down as best he could.  But that was the problem with teenagers.  Calm was one thing they didn’t do well.  And Duncan had been through his own private Hell.  One thing kept him from exploding and that was the creature before him.  He walked over and knelt beside Brianna.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Hey there …. Patches.  Mind if I call you that?  Look, I know what you are going through.  I’ve been there - all of it.  The doctors never gave up on me.  So, tell you what.  I’ll make you a deal.  You don’t give up and we won’t.  Hmm?”  His attention drifted back to Mr Conner.  “Mr Conner, we are going to need ice, LOTS of ice.  I have cash if you need it.  But if you would, take Pride and Joy and and go to the nearest C store and buy half their ice.  We can go back and get more a little later.  We are also going to need a lot of water to wash him off with.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]He began to explain in a soothing voice.  “The Russians used to use ice in emergencies when painkiller were in short supply.  The ice would numb the injury while slowing the flow of blood.  Right now the mud is all that is saving Patches’ life.  We also need to get him a bucket of water to drink.  He’s dehydrated.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Baby is no ordinary ATV.  I use her as a test bed for a lot of emerging tech.  That would include stuff to use on the Europa Lander.  She has some core sampling equipment.  Translated to you guys - post hole auger.  She also sports two winches - one front, one rear - with cables made of carbon nanotube fibers.  That would be space elevator research.  I just thought it would be cool if she could lift her own weight.  Plus she has 10 kilowatt laser mounted on a flexible hose power cable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“We can dig multiple holes under him and shoot in water under pressure to clear mud holding him down.  I can roll baby over him and use the winches to lift him up and out.  Oh, the off road … she shape shifts.  Just trust me, baby is a miracle worker.  We’ll need a harness to life Patches up and out …”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Mr Conner didn’t like the fact that Duncan named the horse right off the bat like that.  Naming a horse with a name that had any sort of meaning was like naming a pet.  But he finally nodded as Duncan, Brianna and Kathy got to work rinsing some of the mud off and getting water for Patches to drink.  Duncan moved back to baby and fired up the laser to start cutting away most of the barbed wire in the way.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Every now and then Duncan would stop and walk in front of Patches to let the horse know he was still there and toss away a handful of scraps of debris.  Duncan had the debris cleared before Mr Conner even got back.  You couldn’t even see the plow anymore.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The ice worked exactly as Duncan explained.  The teenager admitted he couldn’t take all the credit.  It was just something he had heard somewhere.  And Mrs Miller had been a doctor at UNM Medical Center.  She had confirmed the rumor.  Mr Conner just like that it was a simple idea he could wrap his head around.  With patches cut away from the plow and most of the barbed wire the pieces that needed to be removed were small enough to grab with gloved hands.  As they cleaned and cleared, Kathy sewed up wounds and wrapped up the bare flesh with medical bandages and Miracle Salve.  (The was really the name of the salve.)  By the time they were ready to try to get Patches up and out it had been about 6 hours and a second trip for ice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The third time Mr Conner went out he got back just in time.  Animal Control had arrived and decided Patches was too far gone and needed to be put down.  This time he was returning with a tank of water with a pressure sprayer.  This was to loosen up the mud under Patches.  It was a rare sight to see Mr Conner truly angry.  But he got right in the face of Animal Control.  He didn’t raise his voice.  But his tone was dark and menacing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Patches helped everyone make up their minds.  Duncan motioned Kathy and Brianna back suddenly as Patches decided it was time to move again.  The horse simply raised a foreleg and started pulling himself up and out of the mud.  Duncan remained in front of the animal.  In a matter of seconds Patches was standing up on solid ground.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Mr Conner just stared as Duncan began feeding some brown sugar to the horse.  (So that was who had been messing with the diets of a few of the horses.  He had suspected as much…)  Then the old man turned to Animal Control.  “Oh I think that horse has a little fight in him yet.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](OOC:  Yes, Duncan will ride in the horse trailer with Patches .. and spend the next several days sleep in the barn with the horse.)    [/SIZE]

(OOC: Sorry for the delay in reply. My laptop is a piece of garbage. I shouls be able to reply normally now though.)

Brianna had been unable to hold back her tears when the Animal Control showed up and decided that Patches was too far gone. She had pleaded with them and tried her best to delay them. At one point Kathy had to hold a hand over her mouth when she had sensed Brianna had had enough and was about to start swearing at them. 

When Patches finally emerged from the Mud, Brianna's tears were more of relief and joy than they were of sorrow. She had rushed over to Duncan embraced him in a hug that nearly knocked him into the mud. 

Brianna simply kept repeating, "You did it! You actually did it!" Excitedly as she eventually turned her attention to Patches and gave him a rub on the head. Brianna did however find herself wondering if she could somehow use Duncan's ATV to run the Animal Control off... but she thought against it. 

"Duncan! Where did you think to do that! You're a genius!" Olivia exclaimed, by now a small crowd had gathered around the sight.

[SIZE=12pt]Duncan smiled, though he was fighting not to cry.  That wouldn’t have exactly been macho.  Instead he was just silent for awhile - careful not to let his voice betray him.  Finally he walked over to Baby and climbed up inside for a moment, then stepped back out holding ay apple and a small bag of brown sugar.  He looked at Mr Conner and Kathy, trying not to smile.  Mr Conner raised an eyebrow.  He had suspected Duncan of being the one spoiling some of the horses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“The sugar will give him a little extra energy,” Duncan tried to justify why he just happened to have a … chilled ... apple.  He pulled out a pocketknife and sliced the apple in half, then sprinkled brown sugar on the exposed section.  It took Patches a minute to get the will to take the apple.  But Duncan just stood there forehead to forehead and waited.  His voice lowered.  “No rush.  Not going anywhere.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There was no stopping Duncan from riding with Patches - as dangerous as that was.  Once back at the Rescue Farm, Duncan managed to get Patches back out so they could complete the process of cleaning him up and dressing the wounds fully.  Kathy swore by a product called Miracle Salve.  The stuff was pretty amazing.  And she did not spare any, especially after Duncan promised to cover and and all costs of Patches’ recovery - and then some.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Patches was butt ugly.  Even without his injuries he might have won a contest for the ugliest horse in the State.  But Duncan thought the horse was just unique.  He had no idea how to actually brush a horse right - especially with injuries.  But within a day it soon became apparent that Patches didn’t like being approached by anyone other that Duncan.  The horse tolerated Kathy and Brianna.  But he would actually try to bite just about anyone else.  Brianna was a source of apples and feed.  The horse got used to Masumi as a source of food for Duncan.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It was a full week before Duncan felt Patches could handle his absence.  But he kept the absences short.  Kathy explained to Duncan that a large part of long term recovery would mean setting up a routine.  Meanwhile Gary made sure Brianna made it back and forth to work - at Duncan’s request.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Once the first week was past, Duncan had Baby tow Brianna’s car to within sight of Patches and he started to run some tests while the horse watched - as if the horse would understand what the teen was doing.  Duncan, however, was smart about it.  He washed and dried the car where Patches could watch - mimicking the brushing one might give a horse.[/SIZE]

Brianna found herself wanting to help with the recovery of Patches, but at the same time let Duncan get acquainted with the animal. Originally she had thought to bring Duncan lunch in the afternoons. She had been nervous about it though, and when she saw thay Masumi was supplying Duncan with food, Brianna mentally chastised herself for being dumb. That day she had thrown away the extra sack lunch she had prepared. The next day she settled for bringing Duncan some feed and apples.

Whether it be when she was working or when she was simply riding Seamus around the ranch, Brianna often found herself stopping and watching Duncan from a distance. She really admired how sweet he was with Patches. Though she would try and not stare for too long, occasionally she would offer a wave if Duncan caught sight of her, but more often than not she acted like she was looking the other way and awkwardly wandered away.

She would make an effort at least to sit with Duncan during her lunch. She enjoyed talking to him as she was today. "You've really adjusted to the ranch. I mean Mr. Conner really had his doubts." Brianna said with a laugh as she took a bite of her sandwich, "Err, no offense... I didn't mean that in a bad way or anything." 

Once again Brianna felt like she was tripping over herself as she talked. So frequently she did this, and even more so around Duncan it seemed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back