• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Colosseum Machine versus myth. Experimental creature combat.

Termite

Smile! Be bright!
Roleplay Type(s)
Players enter with two characters: one on the MACHINE team, one on the MYTH team. Only one of these characters is in the arena at any given time. When that character wins a point*, they are TAGGED OUT and switched with the same player's alternate character on the opposite team. Characters on standby might have a comfy repair or relaxation zone just to hang out in together.

MACHINE team combatants are robots, cyborgs, mutants, space aliens, products of genetic engineering and industrial weaponry. MYTH team members are dragons, demigods, sorcerers, spirits and beasts of legend. Both are tough and brave. Both will go down to a well-placed bullet or lightning bolt.

*I haven't really thought the balance through yet. I think what I'll roll with is 'a kill is a point, and killed combatants tag out'. Kills are not permanent and can be nonlethal. So, when a creature is taken out of a fight, both the winner and the loser of the exchange are swapped for their opposite-team counterparts. That way the composition of the battlefield is constantly changing.

Why are they there? Money, glory, punishment, or science. This is essentially a dog-fight, and there's an unseen audience that pays for all of it. Characters might be getting something in exchange for their participation, or they might be here to pay off their debts. Lots of combatants don't even know why they're here. Some have their memory wiped. But everyone chose to be here- one way or another.

Where is the arena? You're not entitled to know, nor given a chance to find out. The battlegrounds are huge, filled with surprises, and constantly changing. Primeval forest one day, rusting starship ruins the next. Combatants are free to quit fighting and explore, even with enemy team members, if they so choose. Neutral enemies and traps of various kinds are often present. Watch your step.

Who's in charge? A neutral team of showrunners, team CRYPTID. They answer to a board of directors and don't take part in fights, though neutral monsters are classified as being part of their 'team'. Mostly they're busy with behind-the-scenes stuff, but they check on combatants every so often, sometimes penalizing bad sportsmanship.

For now, this is just an idle interest check and may not lead to any actual role-playing.

Any questions?

This is a cool idea, I might be into it.
Nice. I might re-make the thread more seriously at some point with scene and character samples.

A loose framework of 'stats' might be helpful for character generation, though I have no intention of using numbers or dice to resolve fights. Stuff like Mass, Reach, Range, Armour, Speed, Reflex, or Strength, though maybe not all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back