Lunars on the Blessed Isle

orionstark1482

something occured to me.

the blessed isle is the size of Russia and has the largest population density of the 5 regions of creation. it seems to me that their is bound to be a few lunars who exalt in the blessed isle.

what i want to know is does the silver pack send retreviel agents there as needed or do they have a cell opperating in the Empress's back yard.

it would be dangerous to live their but on the other hand it is a big place and hiding 10 people who can turn into animals at will can't be that hard?

how do you see it? the dangerous snatch and grab in and out or do they have a group their to help with the training?

i liked the idea of nomadic lunars hiding in the wild places between towns.

orionstark1482 said:
it would be dangerous to live their but on the other hand it is a big place and hiding 10 people who can turn into animals at will can't be that hard?
10 people who can also turn into other people.

-S

Stillborn said:
orionstark1482 said:
10 people who can also turn into other people.

-S
exactly. i am not saying that they can run around tearing up the realm and disapear. but if your job is to find Lunars and protect them and train them and watch the realm for intelligence how dangerous can it be? the realm is convinced that you are in the Wyld. they don't need to hunt Lunars on the Isle. they live over there.

I think only a first age lunar would dare to go there. not because it is the backyard of the empress, she is a pansy and unimportant, but because it is the backyard of the bronze faction and the wyld hunt. lots of temples which serve as staging areas. lots of dragonblooded readily availible and two or more full circles of siddies operating there. really not a place you send your average trickster and expect him to come back.

I disagree. If a Lunar were to disappear into a small village or wilderness area, and not meddle with anything, he should be able to go undetected for a long, long time. I would think that a less powerful Lunar would probably have an eaiser time going unnoticed than a more powerful one.

If the Lunar's only mission was: Lay low, Grab new Lunar, Get the fuck out, I think they could pull it off fiarly easily.

-S

... I can't remember if they quantify the effect or not, but....

If spending Essence screws up the Siddies Astrology, how does Lunar shapeshifting affect detection?

Why not just sneak a few dozen Lunars, including a good few First Agers, into the Imperial City and steal the Imperial Manse?

They'd have an easier time getting control of it than a puny DB.

Depends. Has the Manse lost it's affinity bond with the Empress? Are there defenses present because of that bond? ... I doubt the defenses is a cakewalk, even for the Celestial Exalted. After all, the Manse was built by them, not the DB:s.

I use several Lunars on the Blessed Isle.  Quiet. Watching.  Not all of them stick around for a long time, but the Lunars send a few young ones every century or so to train on how to get along in urban centers.  Flexibility is their key, and just knowing how to chase down squirrels and elk for lunch does not a well rounded Lunar make.

So, they become merchants.  Salesmen.  Maybe smiths.  Maybe just settle in a town, and leave after ten or twenty years, maybe it's only five, with trips into the city with their wares, and then they leave to try their luck in the Threshold, and are never heard from again.

Lunars weren't just enforcers, but also perfect for gathering intelligence, and let's face it, the Realm needs a lot of watching.  Rolling expanses of manor grounds, temples, big cities, who's going to notice a few birds?  A squirrel here or there?  In the lower parts of town, who's going to notice a rat or a blacksnake?   Then you've got the huge numbers of unnoticeable peasants, servants, and tradesmen bustiling around their business, again unnoticed because the DBs are far too important to be concerned with the affairs of lesser Mortals who clean and scrub for them.

A good Lunar could pose as a merchant, getting close to a family, doing business with them for years, and get all sorts of good dirt.

Jukashi said:
Why not just sneak a few dozen Lunars, including a good few First Agers, into the Imperial City and steal the Imperial Manse?
They'd have an easier time getting control of it than a puny DB.
 The 'puny DB' pulled a Raistlin; considering that the Imperial Manse was set for Solars, I strongly suspect that even a band of First Age Lunars would not be able to take the Manse without external aid either.

Some of the types of essence sight, I think, can detect shapeshifted lunars. Not sure if any of the db charms can, though.

Measure the Wind should be able to do it as well.

-S

Stillborn said:
Measure the Wind should be able to do it as well.
-S
but most of those charms have to be activated. and if you don't know to look for anything then why bother looking?

plus (my own logic) it is entirely possible to live on the blessed isle for 500 years and never see a DB. their are 10,000 DB spaced around a land mass the size of Russia. they may rule it but for the most part terrestrials are absentee land lords. unless a great monster that is destroying villages is harrassing the country side why would the DBs go into the forest at all except to hunt? and i doubt they use essence detection charms when hunting elk.

Or just walking the streets of small towns.  Who looks at the peasants and tenent farmers?

Since no one mentioned it yet...

The Bronze Faction is likely to take exception to Lunars camping out on the Isle for extended periods. And they can at least note via the Loom of Fate whether there's been an insertion, even without the expenditure of Essence.

This presumes, of course, that some other Siddie hasn't muddled the Lunar's astrological tracks for her own reasons...

There are two things that make me skeptical on wether Lunars can stay on the blessed isle for years without drawing the attention of the wyld hunt.

1) Sidereal mastery of the loom of fate. If a bronze faction sidereal with perception 5 and lore 6 checks out the loom of fate for Lunars in the blessed isle every morning, how can they escape his notice? With 4 success he should be able to pin point their location quite accurately.

2) 2nd ed  Strorytellers companion:

If a Lunar exalts in the deep threshold (Whitewall, Loosky etc.) they send a pack of ancient lunars to retrieve him.

If he exalts in the isle they mourn the exalted Lunar as any attempt would be suicidal. Extracting isn't the same as laying low but still...

It also says that the only place in the Threshold relatively safe for Lunars are scavenger lands since realm influence is small there.

EDIT: Damn! Silence beat me to it!

Has there been a named Siddie who's known to be sympathetic to Lunars? Or are the members of the Silver quasi-faction just hard-to-remember faces in a crowd?

orionstark1482 said:
but most of those charms have to be activated. and if you don't know to look for anything then why bother looking?
IIRC, Measure the Wind is invoked reflexively, whenever there's something for it to sense.

-S

And they can at least note via the Loom of Fate whether there's been an insertion' date=' even without the expenditure of Essence.[/quote']
"An insertion"?

What about a Lunar non-magically travelling to the Blessed Isle would be red-flagged?

-S

I'd imagine that since the Lunar shards have been twisted a bit by the Wyld, and since they're in and out of the Wyld all the time, Lunars would be a bit harder to detect in regards to Fate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back