Lost Mine of Phandelver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuska frowns again as the paladins wordiness confuses him, but he picked up the general gist of what he said. His giant shoulders raise in a very noncommittal shrug, “I dunno. Probably shouldn’t give wolves human meat until they trust us. Could give them the wrong idea.” The Goliath looks down at the Redbrand at his feet and nudges him with the toe of his very large boot. “Easiest to just kill this one too. Guards don’t seem good at dealing with Redbrands.”

Calal gives a sharp noise, carefully moving so he is blocking the half dead figure. "no, no we should really not kill him. Come on, I'm sure this town has a leader or someone in charge of some sort of prison we can take him to?" He questions, glancing at the villagers.

The halfling woman steps in.

"You can take him to the town master, but don't expect much. He's at the inn. I just came from there."

The group enters the inn, the Redbrand protesting as he is dragged through the street behind them. Sildar sits at a table, deep in conversation with someone they have not met before. He looks up and smiles, though it quickly fades under a furrowing brow as he notices who the group is carrying behind them. The man he's talking to, an older, overweight, bald gentleman, notices his expression and turns, then jumps to his feet.

"What do you think you're doing?! Don't bring him in here!" He starts toward the group, but Sildar is on his feet now and puts a reassuring hand on his shoulder, stepping in front of him.

"I see you've been busy," Sildar says, walking toward you with a notable limp, a souvenir of his time being tortured by the goblins. "From what I've heard, It was only a matter of time before you had a run in with this lot. Friends, this is Harbin Wester, the townmaster." He gestures to the sputtering fat man who has come up beside him.

"You fools will bring the Redbrands down on all of us!" he hisses in a whisper. When he notices the blood on the group's weapons, his face goes from red to white. "They'll make us all pay for that. These people have families!" The inn goes quiet, the patrons giving each other uncertain looks. The innkeeper, Toblen, whispers something to his wife, who then takes their son by the arm and leads him out of the room.

Rolling her shoulders, Vutha gave a limp shrug, glancing at Merimar before replying. Gently with her claws she picked up the comb, "Mm... we will discuss with others. If cannot, will return this. Think first will deal with pests in village." Holding it in her claws she studied it, her gaze then shifting to Garaele, "Words need to be chosen carefully. Only so many breaths in one life." Reptilian eyes narrowed she added, "Expect favor returned later."

Placing the comb into her pouch gently, she turned to Merimar, "We contine. Find others to speak."

At Calal’s insistence Fuska agrees to spare the Redbrand, and carries him to the inn, dragging the body slightly in the ground. At the shout of the bald gentleman, Fuska instinctively drops the Redbrand on the floor once again and holds his hands up in the universal sign of ‘wasn’t me.’ As the man speaks of the retribution of the Redbrand, Fuska’s large brow furrows as he frowns at the overweight man. “These people have killed or harassed your townsfolk. You’re just going to let that happen? Something needed to be done. We did it.”

Merimar nodded to Vutha. To the holy woman, Merimar said, "Blessings of The Shining One on you."

Walking alongside Vutha, Merimar asked, "Do you know that holy woman?" While she walked, Merimar also thought how easily Fuska had been knocked unconscious by Klarg. 'The prisoner said the Redbrands had other bugbears, like Klarg. We should really be careful how we approach dealing with them.'

Continuing to walk, Vutha's scaled feet didn't make much noise on the cobblestones, she replied: "No. Met last night when went to find tree for sleep. Offered 'guidance' and 'luck' from Tymora. Those do not fill bellies, they are fickle. 'Luck' depends on the creature. A hunter desires a clear day for tracking, the prey a thunderstorm. To both one is good, one is bad." She shook her head again, "Too fickle."

Merimar listened carefully, agreeing with what Vutha had to say. 'Just take how 'lucky' I was with that shot at the Redbrands, managed to send a bolt into the hedge near them instead. Should work on my aim.'

"I can see the logic there," Merimar remarked, "Though, sometimes I think the deities do try and alter things." Merimar said, choosing her words carefully. "She thought Tymora sent us here. Considering what the Redbrands are doing, I'd heard rumours but seeing it with my own eyes..." Merimar trailed off a little, "It's good you were with us Vutha, those Redbrands could've overwhelmed us."

A snort came from under Vutha's hood -- her equivalent of a laugh. "Scale-less need help. Too soft, in many ways. 'Redbrands' are pests, bold from being unchallenged. A snake gets large enough, it forgets it too can be prey to something larger." She reached for the red fabric again, "Their size must be considered, but doubt they know all among their number. Cleverness. Cleverness for this kind of prey." Lowering her hand she continued, "I ... cannot attempt such things. Too obviously different. Others will do better."

Rubbing one of her tusks with her thumbnail, Merimar looked at the way Vutha was holding the cloth. 'We could disguise ourselves as the Redbrands. But after tonight, they'll probably be aware we have the cloaks. If they're smart, they'll consider the possibility we'd use them. At the same time, we can't wait. Every moment we do runs the risk the Redbrands decide to retaliate for what we did by killing prisoners.' As she continued walking alongside Vutha, Merimar's mind filled with questions, 'Why would they take prisoners anyway? Could've asked the captive Redbrand that.'

"It's a shame we don't know how many of them there are in total." commented Merimar, "Though I'm not sure. Calal could probably get away with sneaking in. Ioanin too, if he kept his mouth shut." Merimar tapped her tusks again, "One glance at these would be enough to rumble me, assuming the Redbrands don't have anyone of my descent amongst them. Fuska is also very apparently different too." Merimar lapsed into silence again, unsure how to overcome that, "Guess we should find the others, try and work out amongst each other the best approach over some hot food."

"Cleverness." Vutha repeated. "Those who are so different are 'caught'. Most attention, most appeal." She pointed to her teeth, still some blood from the fight present around her mouth, "Most irritated with." With another limp shrug she continued, "Discuss later. New task as well, in time. Maybe scale-less become brave, aid us to rid their pests."

Harbin groans and rubs his eyes, as if trying to awake from a nightmare.

"This is a town full of farmers and tradesfolk. I'm not a warrior!" he shouts. The halfling woman steps up between Fuska and Harbin, jabbing a finger in the townsmaster's belly.

"No, but you're a coward! Thal's dead! And where are his wife and children? Did they tell you they were leaving town? But you've done nothing!"

The townmaster holds up his arms in a defensive gesture.

"Now Qelline. You think they won't burn your farm down on a whim? Think about Carp."

"That's what I am doing!" she says. "I won't have my son grow up in a town run by criminals. And anyone who comes to my farm with a torch will get an arrow through the eye!"

Last edited:
Fuska opened his mouth to rebuke when he sees the halfling woman step between them. The woman hardly blocked them off, in fact if Fuska looked right at the man she wasn't even in his line of sight, but the force behind her words makes him hold his tongue, and he grinned in approval. Fuska was one to believe that every member of the community had to pull their own weight, and if they were unable to do so, the tribe should leave them behind. This town master appeared to be one of the ones not pulling his weight, and the words of the halfling woman only reiterated the point. He turned the the handful of other patrons in the bar, “It is as the small one says. If you choose to do nothing, these oppressors will continue to take what they want, until there is nothing left. We” Fuska gestures to his allies around him, “Intend to remove these red cloaked menaces from this town, but we cannot help those who will not help themselves.”

Ioanin glared at the town master as he chastised them for their assistance. "Do all men of the surface cower at the first sign of conflict? In the sea, even the smallest of creatures can overcome great threats by working together. It is foolishness to merely stand by and abide the crimes done to thy neighbor, as the next day it may be them who could help thee. I shall not stand for the atrocities being committed in my midst, but if thou truly wishes for us to relinquish our protection from thy town, that is in thine hands." He holstered his pick at his side and glanced down at the redcloak man. "The question still remains, what are we to do with this swine?"

"If you think you can drive them out, then good luck. But until then I'll have no part of this!" Wester grumbles, and stomps out of the inn. Sildar stands gently shaking his head and sighs.

"Forgive him. This town has seen nothing but trouble from the Redbrands, with no one to help fight against them. As Qelline said, they killed a man named Thal Dendrar just for trying to stop them for harassing his wife. The rumor is that they've kidnapped his wife and children now, thought to what ends no one can say." He shuffles to the nearest table and sits. "Apologies. The goblins did a number on the one good knee I had left. In any case, if the Redbrands have some kind of base at Tresendar Manor, I fear for an ally of mine. I came to Phandalin to track down a missing colleague, a wizard named Iarno Albrek. Apparently he was last seen around the manor. He may be among the Redbrand's prisoners. He's a pretty valuable member of the Lord's Alliance, and I could pay you for finding him. ... Yes, Toblen?"

Sildar looks behind Ioanin, to where the inn's owner, is absent-mindedly rubbing his hands with a cloth over and over.

"Um, you, uh, that is ... regretfully you cannot stay here tonight. I'm sorry. I have a wife and a son. If the Redbrands come looking for you, I fear for their lives," Toblen says, looking scared. Qelline scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"You all can come and stay on my farm if you like," she says to the group. "All I got's a hayloft, but it's warm and dry." Sildar nods approvingly.

"And I'll try to smooth things over with the Wester in the meantime, friends."

Returning to the tavern, Vutha and Merimar caught sight of Wester stamping past them, though Vutha at least did not understand who they were. Entering inside, Vutha leaned against the wall as she heard the rest of the conversation, guessing this was were most of the villagers were.

She gave a small snort, "Most of the group already stayed here. Pests already know of us. Why send protectors away?" Vutha picked at her teeth for a moment, "If group here, if attacked, can defend."

Raising an eyebrow at the sight of someone storming past them, Merimar walked in alongside Vutha to see the unfolding scene in front of them.

"Vutha's right. The way the Redbrands were acting before, they knew we were in town." Merimar pointed out, "Though if you want us out, I understand. Though my friend makes a good point, if we're here we can protect you."

Looking at the Redbrand prisoner, Merimar added, "Which reminds me, why were your group trying to ambush us?"

The Redbrand spits blood at Meri's feet and grins with a mouth missing half its teeth.

"Black Spider said to frighten off strangers. You're strangers. I don't know why. Can I go now?"

Sildar narrows his eyes at the Redbrand, though he wears a look of concern.

"The Spider again. First he hires goblins, then these thugs. What is he up to? We need to find Gundren."

Merimar looked down at the prisoner. He was acting tough, becoming belligerent, but she could see the fear in his eyes. She decided not to react to the fact he was spitting blood at her, it didn't look life threatening, more like someone had punched him in the mouth.

"No, you can't 'go now'." Merimar said calmly, "For starters, we didn't spare your life just so you can go run back to your friends and start causing havoc for Phandelin again." Merimar glanced around, looking at each of her friends. 'Shining One, I hope I'm not making a mistake.' Merimar thought to herself.

"Look, it's okay to admit your scared." Merimar said, "How about you tell us about the Black Spider. Everything you know. The more helpful you are, the better it'll be for you."

'If it were up to me alone,' Merimar thought, 'I'd just send him to the temple, unarmed. Give him a chance to turn his life around. But this isn't really my decision to make.'

"I don't know anything about the Black Spider. Me and the boys got a bet as to whether he's actually some kinda giant spider monster. He only talks to Glasstaff, and Glasstaff talks to us." The Redbrand wobbles on his knees a little bit, looking pale. "Can you lock me up or somethin'? I don't ... don't feel so good."

Toblen, having considered what the group has said, shakes his head.

"I don't doubt you can fight. If you get rid of those Redbrands for good I'll give you all a night on the house. But others have tried and never come back. And where will me and my family be then? I'm truly sorry."

Ioanin smiled and gave the halfling woman a small bow as she offered them a place to stay. "I appreciate thine proposition of lodgings, Lady Qelline, and I am inclined to accept them, so long as my companions are in agreement."

Irate from the Redbrand's complaining and continued disrespect, Ioanin roughly lifted the man by the collar of his tunic and thrust his hand to the man's face. His hand glowed with a deep, ocean green for a moment, and when it faded, he dropped him back down, his wounds no longer quite as dire. Ioanin glared down at him. "Cease thine endless chatter, we shall deal with thou however we deem to. Thou life is thine so long as thou shalt behave accordingly. Persana doth not call for thine earthly life-blood on this day, and I am loath to claim a soul for the depths without His blessing." He turned to his companions. "So what are we to do with this man?"

Watching Ioanin handle the prisoner, Merimar turned and gave a small smile to Qelline. "I'd say we should take this kind lady up on her offer, how's everyone else feel?"

As the prisoner was dropped back down, Merimar knelt down, trying to meet him eye to eye, "Not sure, but we should at least know your name." Merimar said. 'I don't think we should just kill him.' the cleric thought to herself, 'Killing in the heat of battle or in self defence is one thing, slaughtering someone is another. If we can't hand him over to some figure of authority, we also can't let him go free. Too much risk he'd just run back to the Redbrands. Maybe if we can deal with the Redbrands, this man can turn his life around. Should find out what the others think first though.'

"Oh, thank you. Thank you for your mercy!" the man says, groveling. "Name's Rodric. I won't trouble you folk again. You can take the word of old Rod on that. I'll leave town immediately."

Sildar shuffles over to where he originally sat and comes back with a heavy crossbow propped on one shoulder.

"That you will, but in chains. On your feet." He lowers the crossbow and jabs him in the back with the loaded arrow. "I'll take this one to the townmaster's hall and toss him in a cell. Wester will argue, but he won't say no to me. And I doubt the Redbrands will come looking for its trash." Qelline comes up next to him and stifles a yawn.

"Well, let's be off then. I need to get home and put Carp to bed. See ya Sildar," she says, giving him a wink and a grin.

Qelline's farm is on the southeast side of town, and as she leads the group there she points out the Miner's Exchange down on street, where they can exchange gold and gems for coin, and says the owner, Halia Thornton, sees herself as the real town leader, although she's the only one. Qelline also points out the home of Harbin Wester, who quickly closes his curtains when the group looks his way.

Arriving at Qelline's home, she leads you inside, where Linene Graywind from the Lionshield Coster sits at a kitchen table, crossbow close at hand. She leaps to her feet when she sees Qelline is not alone, but settles after seeing the halfling is not being led there under duress and noticing Vutha.

"Oh, you have guests? Well I'm glad your back. I can't take any more games of Bandits & Adventurers. It's murder on my back." Suddenly the party hears a war cry in a tiny, high-pitched voice, and a small halfling boy leaps from the shadows, wooden sword in hand.

"Have at you, vile fiends! Fear not Linene, I'll protect my lady from these villains!" The boy begins whacking Fuska's shins mercilessly with the wooden sword.

Ioanin chuckled as he saw the tiny halfling boy attack the massive goliath and looked over to Qelline. "Lady Qelline, thou hath not stated that thee quartered a knight in thy homestead already!" He knelt down to the boy's level and smiled to him. "And who is this that I may have the privilege of meeting? I assure thee, my diminutive friend, we are no vile fiends. am Ioanin, Champion of Persana, and these are my companions. We are here to free this town from the scourge that plagues it, those accursed Redbrands."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back