Lost Mine of Phandelver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boy's jaw drops and his eyes practically sparkle with delight. "Wooooooowww..." Qelline walks over and pats her son on the head.

"Why this is Sir Carp of Alderleaf," she says. "Slayer of spiders and scourge of field mice. And right now he has a quest in the enchanted land of bedtime." The boy gasps, wheels around and stomps his foot.

"But mama! I want to talk to the knights and the dragon person! Are you all heroes? Are you going to slay a troll? Or a cyclops?"

While the group had followed Qelline to her home, Vutha had kept an eye on the rooftops, planning for later in the night. Arriving at the home and hearing the small yell Vutha had shifted her weight in case there was another attack, only to see the small boy attempting to whittle down Fuska at the knees.

She gave a faint snort, her attempt at a laugh, as Ioanin and the boy went back and forth, head twisting slightly as the child seemed to think she was a dragon. Kneeling down to the boy's level, her tail wrapped around her to help keep her balance she spoke, "Little Scaleless hatchling, matrons are to be obeyed. Rest is needed, grow larger." Gently with a claw she poked the boy's chest and gestured towards Fuska, "Grow larger," she repeated. Vutha's gaze moved between Qelline and Linene, "Still have tasks for tonight. Intend to watch the inn, see if red cloaks truly attack. See their number, methods. Study enemy."

Her head turned to look across the party, "Have new task as well. Discuss later."

Fuska looked down at the small child, barely registering the sensation of the stick against his shins. He thought the kid was cute, and very brave to charge the biggest threat. As his allies spoke to the kid, Fuska inspected his wooden sword, noticing the very crude design. The warrior knew that if the kid were to learn how to fight, he must first have a balanced practice weapon. After all, he did appear to be the man of the house currently, it wouldn’t hurt to learn early.

For the meantime, however, Fuska simply watched as Qelline attempted to corral her child into bed. In response to Vutha’s final comment, Fuska made eye contact and nodded to acknowledge his understanding. Once the kid was in bed and Qelline returned, Fuska cleared his throat and addressed the smaller woman. “Barthen told me that you might know of Thundertree. I would appreciate any information that you could pass along to me.”

Carp's head whips around when hears red cloaks mentioned. "Oh! I saw a red man yesterday, coming out of a cave. No! I don't want to go to bed! Mamaaaaa!" Qelline sighs.

"What have I told you about sneaking around that house? Boy, you will be the death of me. Now up to bed, go on. Oh and thanks Linene!" Linene smirks, waves to the group and makes her exit. You're alone in the house for a minute before Qelline returns.

"Thundertree? Reidoth said he was heading out there last I talked to him. Apparently something nasty is going on out there. Well, nastier than usual. It's a few days north of here, yeah? He's probably still there."

Merimar watched Carp moan about going to bed.

"Very lively child." Merimar said with a smile. "So, the Redbrands have a cave apparently." Merimar said, wondering what the significance could be. 'A hoard of weapons perhaps? Might be worth asking that child more tomorrow.'

As the next morning came, Merimar woke up and started doing the first of her daily prayers. Once she'd finished up, she thought about what they had to do.

'Should probably go see Daran Edermath today. Thought about doing it yesterday but then the wolves and the ambush...' Merimar thought to herself. 'Let's see, orchard on the west side of town.' Deciding to pop out early, Merimar told Qelline where she was heading. 'Hopefully its just a quick there and back. Then we can discuss how to deal with the Redbrands.' Merimar thought as she walked across Phandelin heading for the orchard.

Heading to what she presumed was Mister Edermath's home, the building closest to the orchard, Merimar walked up and knocked on the door. A simple, quick three knocks.

A moment passes. Then another. Finally an older, silver-haired half-elf appears around the side of the house. He looks to be well over 100 years old. He sizes up Merimar quickly and then chuckles.

"You must be one of our visitors. Just heard about a group that roughed up a couple Redbrands last night, a half-orc among them. Well done. I'd have done it myself but it's a job for more than one man, or woman, and I'm not so spry as I was in my adventuring days. What brings you by?"

Fuska thanks Qelline for the information, and as everyone begins to retire for the night he steps outside to find the nearest strong tree. Grabbing one of the long, thicker branches the goliath puts his full weight on it causing it to snap off the trunk and leave him with a sizable branch. Going into his pack he pulls out a small hand saw and cuts the base of the branch down to a good size for the small boy's stature, and he returns to the house. Sitting outside, he leans against the wall next to the front door, and with a very large carving knife, begins to whittle away at the branch to make a wooden sword. Fuska would check it every once in a while to make sure it was properly balanced before sanding it smooth, making sure the edges were blunt so the boy couldn't do any damage. Once his little project was finished, he propped the wooden sword against the wall next to the boy's room, and went to sleep for the night.

Upon waking up the next morning, Fuska found a seat in the main area where he could watch the kid's reaction.

Merimar smiled at Daran's summary of what happened.

"I'd been meaning to come by about the Redbrands before," said Merimar, "Heard you were looking for help clearing them out. Any chance we can talk about that?"

'With any luck Mister Edermath might know something that would help us if we try and free the prisoners the Redbrands took.' the cleric thought to herself.

"Of course. Where are you coming from? Neverwinter? Had some contacts put word out there." Daran leads Merimar south away from the house, to where they have a mostly unobstructed line of sight to the other end of town. "Now that's Tresendar Manor, or what's left of it." A large, ruined house towers over the town on the east side. "The Redbrands are holed up underneath it. Basement must still be in tact. Can't say how many are in there, but it's a big house." He begins to walk back toward his home.

"There was a time I'd handle it myself with my companions. Knew a big half-orc who was pretty handy with a bow. Had a big boar followed him around everywhere." He's quiet for a moment, but smiles at the memory. "I don't have much left in the way of gold to give you, but I got a treasure or two I'd be willing to pass along to the next generation of adventurer. In any case I imagine you'll find no shortage of gold and goods up at the manor."

Carp wakes up a little later that morning, and nearly trips over the well-carved wooden sword. He looks from Fuska to the sword and back, then picks it up with both hands, grinning ear to ear. He rears back, takes a big swing, and unprepared for the weight of it, tips over on the backswing and knocks a vase off a table, shattering it.

"Wooooow!" he whispers, unfazed by the broken ceramic. "Now I can help you fight those Redbrands! Let's go!" He runs off down the hall, still in his night clothes.

Merimar nodded as Daran mentioned Neverwinter, following him as he led the way. "Yes, my friends and I have come from Neverwinter. We were hired by Gundren Rockseeker who seems to have been kidnapped by someone working with the Redbrands."

'So, the Redbrands are in the basement,' Merimar thought as Daran began to walk back to his home.

"We'll take care of it," Merimar said, giving Daran a reassuring smile, seeing the look on Daran's face after he related the memory of a half-orc he'd known.

'Might be an interesting story to ask him about once we've got the Redbrands dealt with.' thought Merimar to herself.

"Blessings of The Shining One upon you." the cleric said before she headed back to Qelline's farm to share what she'd learned with the others.

The prior night, as everyone went to their rest, Vutha had pulled Calal off to the side, her reptilian eyes fixed on the drow, "Intend to watch Inn. You have best eyes for dark. Come with." Getting agreement, the pair headed off towards town, Vutha climbing on top of a nearby building, pulling up the scrawny drow as well as they settled into their positions.

Fortunately or unfortunately it was a peaceful night, and waking in the morning Vutha hissed in irritation. "Innkeeper scared for nothing." Helping Calal down off the roof, the lizardfolk woman worked her way back to where the others were, tail sweeping behind her as her hood was pulled over her head.

Arriving back to the others, she ran into Merimar and listened to the half-orc's report. She raised her lips in a crude smile, "Was right to call pests. Live underground." Vutha thought for a moment, "How many exits? Good hunting tactics, smoke out prey from hiding place with fire. If flee, we wait." Her lips lowered, "Speaking of waiting. Inn was not attacked. Owner feared nothing."

Carp's dash to fight the Redbrands stops short when Vutha, Merimar and Calal enter the house.

"Come on! We're going to fight the villains!" he shouts, brandishing his sword at the trio and grinning back at Fuska. As it's mentioned that the Redbrands live underground, Carp's eyes light up. "See! I told you I saw them coming out of a cave! It's not that far from here! I can show you where it is!"

Qelline enters the kitchen, yawning. "I don't think so mister. I don't want you anywhere near that house. Especially not after you broke my vase." Carp's face turns beat red. "If you are going up there, bring me back a vase if you see a nice one, yeah?"

Carp points out the back door to where the field gives way to the woods. "There's a path right there. It will take you right to their cave. I promise! I want to go fight too!"

Hearing the child mention he wanted to go fight as well, Merimar knelt down so she was eye level with him. "No. It is too dangerous." Merimar said before stopping. 'He's just a child. I don't want him getting hurt, but I shouldn't crush his spirit.'

"Carp, the Redbrands aren't people to mess with. Qelline needs protecting from them." Merimar glanced up at Qelline, hoping she understood what the half-orc was trying to do. "You've already helped us out by telling us about the cave. We can handle it from here." Merimar glanced at Ioanin. "Leave the Redbrands to us, just protect your mother." Merimar glanced at her friends, wondering if any of them had anything extra to say to the child.

Carp's shoulders slump when Merimar begins talking, but then he lifts his head and his eyes light up as she continues on. Why hadn't I thought of that already?

"You're right! I must defend Carp Castle from the invaders and protect Queen Mama!" He puts his wooden sword point down, both hands upon the hilt. "You have my word. I will keep the castle and my lady safe," he says in a solemn voice.

"Oh, my hero, Sir Carp!" Qelline exclaims dramatically, but when she looks to the rest of you her eyes bear a hint of worry. "You all be careful up there now, yeah? They might be dumb thugs, but I've never known them to shy away from violence."

Fuska beams happily as Carp enthusiastically brandishes his new gift. The smile quickly fades as the vase falls to the floor into pieces, and Fuska scratches his bald head, attempting to casually back away from the scene.

As Merimar attempts to console the child, Fuska watches as the kid’s enthusiasm is reinvigorated with his task to protect his mother. He was glad the kid has a strong sense of duty to his family, that was a very important value that not everyone was able to have in life. When Qelline addresses the party with her worries, Fuska looks down into her eyes with a serious expression. “We will certainly be careful, the Redbrands will learn to regret the day they tried to assault Queen Mama.” Fuska then gave the halfling a confident wink before heading out with the rest of his companions.

The group follows the path Carp pointed out, twisting and turning through the woods for a few minutes, before coming across the cave entrance, which appears to lead back to the manor.

Despite Vutha's attempts at stealth, the others are not so careful and noisily make their way through the passage. At the end of it they see an open chamber, with stone walls, floor and ceiling. A crevice runs away from them across the middle of the floor, traversed by two bridges. Torches glow softly within, burned down to embers.

Ioanin feels a chill run down his spine, and you all hear a voice babbling inside your heads. It speaks fast and is hard to follow.

"Here for my treasure? ... So hungry ... Red cloaks break deal ... hungry for flesh ... need to eat ... stay away or else ..."

Feeling a voice babbling in her mind, Merimar was spooked. Instinctively, she tried to respond the same way.

"What deal?" Merimar thought, "We're here to stop the Redcloaks."

"Half-orc ... kidnapper ... kidnap food for me ... make new deal." The voice babbles in all of their minds, seemingly unbidden, in response to Meri's thought.

Anyone who looked would see the large blush as Merimar's cheeks flushed red. 'Shit.' Merimar thought to herself, 'That's going to be interesting to explain.' Merimar sighed. 'No way am I kidnapping people for this - whatever they are - to eat. They sound dangerous though.'

Ioanin’s eyes narrowed at the oppressive voice pressing at his mind, and he responded to it in the guttural tones of the foes he was raised to combat. “I am Ioanin, champion of Persana. My companions and I aim to bring an end to the plague that the Redbrands have brought upon this town. To whom am I speaking?”

Following behind the rest of the group, Vutha had kept her bow ready as her eyes strained in the dark. Her scaled feet padded silently on the rough floor while she sighed internally at the noise of the rest of the group.

She paused at the strange voice in her mind, seeing the looks of confusion on the other's faces as well. While it seems to keep babbling she attempted to scan the area, looking for what could be causing the words -- or the smell. Shifting closer to the group, her eyes adjusting to the closer glow of the torch, she spoke in a low tone, "See nothing but hear. Waste time on this later. Have task -- people. No deals with shadows."

"Want flesh ... want treasures ... stay away from my treasures ... eat your flesh ... sooooo hunnngryyyyy."

As Ioanin moves into the chamber, a sickening feeling washes over him, and he sees a single, large, glaring eye in his mind. The rest of the group sees a flash of movement move away from behind the nearest pillar, across the bridge and behind the further pillar.

Last edited:
Barely able to see in the dark, Vutha had been on edge since she heard the movement of the creature, yet was unable to see it. Raising her bow, she attempted to prepare an arrow -- only able to spot the strange thing after Ioanin pointed it out -- falling into a crevice soon after.

Rushing forward to try and get a better shot at the weird thing her arrow seemed to strike true, irritating it into running towards her, instincts guiding her as she dodged the blows, but the adrenaline caused her bite to only land once. Soon enough the fight was ended thanks to a blast from the Drow as the group began to settle themselves, a few searching the chest Ioanin had apparently found below while Vutha moved to check the crates and barrels further in -- still unnerved by the lack of response to their noises. Finding misc supplies in the barrels she moved back to the group, still unsure of the remaining bridge but moved across it quickly, returning to be handed a small collection of coins and a gem she briefly glanced at before placing it with the other metal discs.

While the rest settled down to recover, Vutha paced around the group, clawed hands on her shortbow as she went back and forth, tail sweeping behind her. "Not like. Too silent -- no reaction on either side. Above or below -- where Redbrands?" She continued her path, "Think should go down -- basement yes? Prisoners? Try to make sure not trapped as well." Her tail twitched faster, "Not like," she repeated.

Still on edge from the fact that whatever was in the area with them had called her a kidnapper, Merimar kept her crossbow to hand and ready. Watching her friends attack, Merimar followed their movements and saw the creature they were attacking.

Keeping her breathing controlled and calm, Merimar raised her crossbow and fired. Her bolt hit home somewhere in the creature. Not really caring where it hit so long as it hit, Merimar reloaded her crossbow as she heard her friends firing off attacks, the scrapes of Vutha's claws against scales. Firing another bolt, she watched Calal blast the creature which made it finally drop to the floor, dead.

Hearing Ioanin calling out, Merimar felt something light hit her armor. Glancing down, she saw a tied up scroll that had been thrown her way. "Anyone hurt and need healing?" offered the cleric. Listening to Vutha, Merimar nodded in agreement. "We should find the prisoners and get them out. The Redbrands might have heard that commotion."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread