Chitchat Losing characters

SlytherClaw

Try hard evil genius
So I am VERY attached to my characters.

I've been writing everyday with someone for over two years now. We made a bunch of plots and characters to write with and had an absolute blast writing. I have so many found memories of staying up later writing together. These characters and plots mean so much to me. On bad days I'd read back on old things because it was comforting, ya know?

Well, for reasons I do not wish to state, I cannot ever talk to this person again. They need to stay out of my life.

So right now I feel like I lost all of the characters we made together. Reading back on them feels weird, and it hurts. But I'm not ready to give them up and thinking about writing them on my own feels strange, and no one could ever take over those characters or plots. It just wouldn't be the same.

I'm just at a loss of what to do I guess.

I've been writing everyday with someone for over two years now. We made a bunch of plots and characters to write with and had an absolute blast writing. I have so many found memories of staying up later writing together. These characters and plots mean so much to me. On bad days I'd read back on old things because it was comforting, ya know?

Well, for reasons I do not wish to state, I cannot ever talk to this person again. They need to stay out of my life.

So right now I feel like I lost all of the characters we made together. Reading back on them feels weird, and it hurts. But I'm not ready to give them up and thinking about writing them on my own feels strange, and no one could ever take over those characters or plots. It just wouldn't be the same.

As someone who gets ghosted alot, my advice is dont lose hope...sometimes you feel like your characters, plots or ideas you add in cause rpers to leave it could be different reasons.

Reading back on your rp stories does hurt but others can help you improve, make your plots even better or even come up with new plots you never thought of before.

The best thing to do if it still hurts is maybe take time to read over and heal from it...
Otherwise i would say try to look around for a rper who would be intrested in your idea, but you can use your rp story as an example of your writing and characters

I understand this loss. Its happened to me over the years. Dated people RL who I RP'd with online. I've also had friendships end RL with people I RP'd with. In both cases I felt like the characters were lost memories. For the most part I charrish them and over the years I began to love the characters as individual constructs I made and I've been able to reuse those characters in new RPs. It did take a lot of time and for most of the characters they were simply abandoned and left to be happy memories!

I have no advice on how to proceed. But time helps maybe in a year or two you'll feel differently about the characters. Maybe you'll want to play them again or use them in something else. Its okay if they stay memories too and hopefully by then they're pleasant memories.

For example every character I posted to this thread are from an RP I did with someone I dated. Adored the RP the characters. We commissioned so much art. So much investment and happy memories related to that RP and the characters . . . and three years later I was comfortable trying to play them as OCs in new RPs.

It hurts but always remember you could find something better. Maybe you will find someone who will do a way better job than that person.

As someone who has made characters connected to and embedded in the stories of people I've since cut out of my life, I have one piece of advice: take some time to grieve, but ultimately they are still your characters. I think taking some time away from them and branching out a bit may be in order. I ended up having to cut someone out of my life who had made a world and supporting cast for a lot of my characters. That was almost 6 months ago and I've only recently started to get back into using them. In the meantime, however, I took a bit of time away from the characters, their concepts and everything relating to them.

I kept one close to me (he was my biggest comfort character & still happens to be) and immediately started rebuilding him to have a standalone story and not need all of that muddied up stuff that that person stuck me with. If you have other close friends that like to rp/talk characters, I suggest talking to them! Making more lasting memories with people that didn't end up having to be annexed from your life can help.

Long story short, it'll take awhile and there may be some characters you can't touch again, but don't take the momentary melancholy that comes along with something of this caliber as a loss. It's just a small bump in the road. It might not be immediate and it may be a few years, but I wish you the best of luck with coming back around on your characters.

ObitoPancake ObitoPancake good advice and so very true. I roleplay these particular characters for 3.5 years with one partner, it was my only RP, and I ended up dating this partner RL. We printed our RP into books for ourselves, commissioned art of the characters, invested real money and time into them (and the rp). It was so hard when things ended and I had to cut them from my life. I still hang onto those characters, they are near and dear to me, and sometimes I even try to RP them. But it took years before I could do anything with them, they just sort of existed these little investments I had made who were just so important and I really did grieve over them and hoped one day I could play them again . . . GOSH.

Sorry to lament on you there . . . but guys they're right take time to grieve those characters. <3

I'm sorry to hear that, if I was in your shoes I would mourn the loss of the partner as well as the plots, characters, ect. Take your time to work through the hurt and loss till you could focus on the good memories of those characters and stories. While the stories and characters wouldn't be the same you could try to pay some respect to the characters by giving a new one, one or two of the traits of a former character, that way they are still their own character but will on occasion do something the old character would which will remind you of those good memories. I hope that was helpful and made sense but ultimately you have to do what's best for you and it make take more than one attempt and that it is completely fine and part of the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back