Advice/Help Looking for advice from Spider-Verse " Experts"

Consequences

intricately layered with potential and dumb
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi y'all,
I have a pretty decent concept of the Spider-Verse and the general workings of it but I would very much like to structure my own OC into the universe with very little doubt that I'm knowledgeable enough to not sound like an idiot.

So, any basic information or in-depth concepts would be very very appreciated.

Where I feel the least confident:
  • How many universes have gone without a spider person?
  • How long does one universe go without a Spider person before another appears?
  • Are spider people supposed to be replaced when one dies?
  • What basic traits do all spider people have?
  • Different iterations of how to become spider person/people? Aka: Do they have to be bitten? Can spider powers be introduced another way?
  • Can there be more than one spider person in one universe at a time? Not including the times a mentor spider would pass and hand down the responsibility or the universe jumping.
  • Power restrictions? Miles can be invisible and give electric shocks but what else can be acquired or is it random?

I am sure some of this can be looked up but I feel like the Google answers just don't give you what your looking for so hopefully someone can give me a hand until I can go to a library to get the comics or something myself.
Thank youuuuu- Kc

So I think the movie follows it’s own internal logic that you can figure out based on the two movies. So I don’t think you really need to have information beyond that in order to make your OC.

But because I am nothing if not someone who hyper fixates on movies and listens to an embarrassing amount of reviews on them I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. I don’t think it’s ever said what happens to universes who don’t have spiders. I assume it’s because the “Spider-verse” only includes universes with spider people.

There would be a separate universe for other heroes. So like a Bat-verse for all the different variations of Batman. But you wouldn’t see Batman show up in the Spiderverse or vice versa.

2. From what we see in the movies only one universe loses its Spider-Man and another appears. Miles replaces his universes Peter when he dies. But we are told that was an accident. Every other universe we see just has their specific Spider person.

3. See answer above.

4. Web slinging, wall crawling, danger sense, and bitten by a spider seem to be the only universal traits.

5. So far as we see in the movie I think bitten by spider is a “Canon Event”. Although depending on what your character is you could probably get away with an alternative method. Ex. I’m pretty sure the car wasn’t bitten by a spider nor was the Blue Hologram girl.

6. So far the movies seem to work under the premise that each universe has one version of a Spider. As being alone seems to also be part of the Canon. Now if the Spider has access to the Spider Society they can interact with other Spideys at their HQ or visit each others universes.

7. I think it’s all either spider or universe themed. So for instance the cartoon pig has cartoon powers. And Miguel has fangs because spiders have fangs.

Now granted I’m not sure how invisibility and electricity manipulation tie to spiders.

So I guess as long as you could tie the power to a spider then you can get creative.

So I think the movie follows it’s own internal logic that you can figure out based on the two movies. So I don’t think you really need to have information beyond that in order to make your OC.

But because I am nothing if not someone who hyper fixates on movies and listens to an embarrassing amount of reviews on them I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. I don’t think it’s ever said what happens to universes who don’t have spiders. I assume it’s because the “Spider-verse” only includes universes with spider people.

There would be a separate universe for other heroes. So like a Bat-verse for all the different variations of Batman. But you wouldn’t see Batman show up in the Spiderverse or vice versa.

2. From what we see in the movies only one universe loses its Spider-Man and another appears. Miles replaces his universes Peter when he dies. But we are told that was an accident. Every other universe we see just has their specific Spider person.

3. See answer above.

4. Web slinging, wall crawling, danger sense, and bitten by a spider seem to be the only universal traits.

5. So far as we see in the movie I think bitten by spider is a “Canon Event”. Although depending on what your character is you could probably get away with an alternative method. Ex. I’m pretty sure the car wasn’t bitten by a spider nor was the Blue Hologram girl.

6. So far the movies seem to work under the premise that each universe has one version of a Spider. As being alone seems to also be part of the Canon. Now if the Spider has access to the Spider Society they can interact with other Spideys at their HQ or visit each others universes.

7. I think it’s all either spider or universe themed. So for instance the cartoon pig has cartoon powers. And Miguel has fangs because spiders have fangs.

Now granted I’m not sure how invisibility and electricity manipulation tie to spiders.

So I guess as long as you could tie the power to a spider then you can get creative.
Your name is so perfect for this btw. Love that

4- I meant like character traits. All of them regardless of origin, are by default determined and mechanically inclined with interests in science to at least a little extent. Except for Gwen as far as I've seen??

5- That's true- Unless there is a car spider in their universe- no.

Thank you thank thank you

I become infatuated with technicalities and loopholes lol. Also, this helps so much in terms of setting a whole backstory that's unique but fits comfortably in the realm of the world scape.
Don't want to be overpowered or just flat-out ridiculous with it.

But seriously, I appreciate you so much!

Shoot I just remembered May Day, Peter B’s daughter. She is clearly a spider person like her dad.

So actually there can be two spiders in one universe.

I think Peter Parker is like the default Spider-Man cuz the majority of the spider people we see are some variation of him.

So I think in universes where he dies maybe alternative spiders (like Miles or Hobie) pop up? Now it doesn’t explain Gwen since she got bitten before her Peter dies so maybe it’s just that there are a small percentage of non-Peter spider folk.

That’s actually kind of interesting either way and maybe something the third movie will delve into.

So for universal traits that’s very interesting and I think kinda ties into the canon and the big showdown in the Spider Society HQ.

1. They are all traumatized. They all lose at least one important person in their life (uncle Ben for most of the Peters, Uncle Aaron for Miles, Unnamed Daughter for Miguel, and Peter for Gwen).

But what comes from that trauma seems to be a sense of compassion and a desire to help others. It’s where the whole “with great power comes great responsibility” and “I can do both” mentality comes from.

They very much want to help everyone, usually at their own expense.

They also all seem to be kinda quippy and use humor as a coping mechanism. The two big exceptions are Spider Noir (who in fairness comes from a universe where humor wouldn’t fit the aesthetic) and Miguel.

And they specifically call out that Miguel isn’t funny and is too serious.

I think the rest very much is tied to how the individual spider handles their trauma tbh.

All of them are very self sacrificing considering all were willing to stay in Miles's universe despite the fact they would literally deteriorate.

I have such a feeling that peter B is going to die in the third movie. And that makes me wonder about the capability of having more than one spider in one universe.
EITHER WAY
I am aiming for a world that never had a spiderman and hadn't really had villains who needed a spiderman. But due to the universe being tampered with she gets bit but its a canon event regardless. She is stuck figuring it out oner own but shes like depressed and agoraphobic and goes through a phase of just hiding her powers and being in denial. But she sees someone outside her apartment and can't help but save them from a robber. She tries to hide back into her apartment but the person hugs her and thanks her. Yadda yadda she finds purpose in her life through protecting people.
Every spider person I have seen is a good student, has friends, parents and decent positivity. But I want to write someone who grows to fill those shoes.

The simple answer is that there are infinite universes and therefore, any combination of things is possible.

Also fair warning that my answers are based on both the movie and my own comic research from when I was creating an OC.

How many universes have gone without a spider person? How long does one universe go without a Spider person before another appears?

It depends. Some never see one (e.g. Earth 42 not having one due to its spider getting transported to Miles' dimension) and some have multiple. I don't think it's mandatory to have a spider person in universe. It's just that the movie/comics are naturally going to focus on the ones that have spider people.

Are spider people supposed to be replaced when one dies?

Not necessarily. There's no universe mechanic that dictates that there must always be a spider person in a given universe.

What basic traits do all spider people have? Different iterations of how to become spider person/people? Aka: Do they have to be bitten?

They have a spider motif. Seemingly, all of them are also bound to face trauma or loss. I think most of them are portrayed as very intelligent as well. There are also spider-animals though...so take that as you will.

Can spider powers be introduced another way?

Yes. There are several characters who derive their spider powers through magic (look up spider totems). Spider-Rex as well, received his after getting blasted with a meteor containing alien spiders.

Can there be more than one spider person in one universe at a time? Not including the times a mentor spider would pass and hand down the responsibility or the universe jumping.

Yes. Depending on what storyline you read, you'll see characters like Silk, Arana, and Jessica Drew interacting with Peter Parker. In fact, Cindy Moon/Silk was bitten by the same spider as Peter!

Power restrictions? Miles can be invisible and give electric shocks but what else can be acquired or is it random?

I don't think believe there are specific restrictions. Having watched Across the Spiderverse, I think it's less about trying to adhere to what a spider-person is "supposed" to be (the canon if you will) and more about what fun things your character can bring to the table.

The simple answer is that there are infinite universes and therefore, any combination of things is possible.

Also fair warning that my answers are based on both the movie and my own comic research from when I was creating an OC.

It depends. Some never see one (e.g. Earth 42 not having one due to its spider getting transported to Miles' dimension) and some have multiple. I don't think it's mandatory to have a spider person in universe. It's just that the movie/comics are naturally going to focus on the ones that have spider people.

Not necessarily. There's no universe mechanic that dictates that there must always be a spider person in a given universe.

They have a spider motif. Seemingly, all of them are also bound to face trauma or loss. I think most of them are portrayed as very intelligent as well. There are also spider-animals though...so take that as you will.

Yes. There are several characters who derive their spider powers through magic (look up spider totems). Spider-Rex as well, received his after getting blasted with a meteor containing alien spiders.

Yes. Depending on what storyline you read, you'll see characters like Silk, Arana, and Jessica Drew interacting with Peter Parker. In fact, Cindy Moon/Silk was bitten by the same spider as Peter!

I don't think believe there are specific restrictions. Having watched Across the Spiderverse, I think it's less about trying to adhere to what a spider-person is "supposed" to be (the canon if you will) and more about what fun things your character can bring to the table.
This is so helpful thank you so so much!

Powers do seem to be a decent free for all lol.
I am so iffy about stepping out of the concept of them being scientifically inclined but also I am not about to write half-assed science terms that I don't know. But also the idea of getting to see a spider person have to learn about gadgets and such as they go is exciting. My whole goal is to create a relatable and maybe even struggling spiderman.

This is so helpful thank you so so much!

Powers do seem to be a decent free for all lol.
I am so iffy about stepping out of the concept of them being scientifically inclined but also I am not about to write half-assed science terms that I don't know. But also the idea of getting to see a spider person have to learn about gadgets and such as they go is exciting. My whole goal is to create a relatable and maybe even struggling spiderman.
Struggling as in they are forced to not have an immediate ability towards their changing environment so I am finding the grounds of where to put that kind of person.

Consequences Consequences so I would steer clear of using real mental health issues because it’s kinda rude to say “and my character gets over her lifelong mental health struggle because she got bitten by a spider.”

Agoraphobia and depression especially are really complex things that you don’t really get over. You can slowly learn to manage them but I don’t think either mental illness has a “cure.”

Also I don’t think they all have friends or parents. It’s part of the trauma that the vast majority of them don’t have those things.

It’s also one of the key ways Miles is an anomaly because he has two loving parents. He admittedly is only friends with other Spiders, so when they leave he is actually very isolated and brings up often how he feels all alone and like he’s the “only Spider-Man”.

Because that’s kinda of how all of them feel before they learn about the multiverse. He’s just lucky in that he became Spider-Man at the same time as he learned about the multiverse. But it’s a double edged sword because they all leave and he is even more lonely because of it.

He doesn’t really have any non Spider friends. His roommate knows he’s Spiderman but I didn’t get the impression they were actually friends.

I think Gwen is actually a much more typical Spider in that sense. She has zero friends in her universe, she isn’t particularly close to her dad (mainly because he’s trying to arrest her) and she is grappling with the death of her best friend entirely on her own.

While she seems to have become Spider-woman before Peter dies it’s clear that is a very strong motivator for her continuing. She wasn’t good enough, she didn’t save him so she is going to do everything in her power to save others (including Miles).

Peter Parker is a good example of someone who doesn’t automatically use the powers for good. In his original origin story he doesn’t immediately start to fight crime.

It’s not until his uncle Ben is killed because of a robber he let go that he decides to become Spider-Man. Because he has great power and he needs to use it responsibly.

That also I think influences why the Spider HQ folks are so obssessed with canon and the way things have to be.

Because losing Uncle Ben does motivate a lot of them to become better versions of themselves. It is also something they feel deeply guilty about, so if they can tell themselves it had to happen then I imagine it helps.

(( there is a lot of genuinely nuanced takes on trauma in a setting that is basically a giant basket full of Easter Eggs ))

If your curious I probably have a mini essay on how Gwen, Peter B, Miles, and Miguel each individually deal with their trauma in the movies.

But for now if you want to write a person who is depressed I think Peter B is a good example of someone who has a depressive episode (which seems to be more what your going for not full on depression).

He gets divorced, his life falls apart, and he basically retreats into a Depression Cave and eats his feelings. Now he gets over that relatively quickly because it’s a movie but I think there are hints that he hasn’t actually addressed his underlying issues he’s just papered over them with his kid.

Cuz he is hyper focused on his kid and putting all his sense of self worth in being a good dad. In a “if I get this ONE thing right it will all be with it.” way.

That’s a super relatable mindscape to have about a life full of compounding trauma.

(He looses his parents at a young age, he loses his uncle Ben, he gets divorced, he also seems to have been present when Miguel’s universe dissolved, etc. this is a man who has had some serious heavy duty shit happen to him outside of just being a superhero).

So yeah he meets this kid who gives him the push to reconnect with his ex-wife (and that relationship does seem to be super healthy so maybe there is some off screen couples therapy if nothing else).

But the fact that he takes his daughter (adorable nugget that she is) into actively dangerous situations? Not great parenting Bob.

But it very much seems to be this hyper attached/hyper fixation on keeping her around and safe. He literally straps her to his chest at all times.

And how he approaches Miles. Like I only have this kid because of you. Because you reminded me I can still do good things. Please hold her it will make you feel better.

Man some intriguing projection from our ole boy Peter B.

((listen I love the character he’s honestly probably my favorite after Miles and Gwen, but this is a man that screams ~ I went to one therapy session and I think I’m cured. ~))

Also I do have some experience with family members who have various mental health concerns and serious trauma their working through so I can give you some tips from that perspective too.

Cuz I do think there is way to write a realistic portrayal of trauma and mental health concerns. I just don’t think the two you picked would be a good fit for the story you wanna tell.

If your curious I probably have a mini essay on how Gwen, Peter B, Miles, and Miguel each individually deal with their trauma in the movies.

But for now if you want to write a person who is depressed I think Peter B is a good example of someone who has a depressive episode (which seems to be more what your going for not full on depression).

He gets divorced, his life falls apart, and he basically retreats into a Depression Cave and eats his feelings. Now he gets over that relatively quickly because it’s a movie but I think there are hints that he hasn’t actually addressed his underlying issues he’s just papered over them with his kid.

Cuz he is hyper focused on his kid and putting all his sense of self worth in being a good dad. In a “if I get this ONE thing right it will all be with it.” way.

That’s a super relatable mindscape to have about a life full of compounding trauma.

(He looses his parents at a young age, he loses his uncle Ben, he gets divorced, he also seems to have been present when Miguel’s universe dissolved, etc. this is a man who has had some serious heavy duty shit happen to him outside of just being a superhero).

So yeah he meets this kid who gives him the push to reconnect with his ex-wife (and that relationship does seem to be super healthy so maybe there is some off screen couples therapy if nothing else).

But the fact that he takes his daughter (adorable nugget that she is) into actively dangerous situations? Not great parenting Bob.

But it very much seems to be this hyper attached/hyper fixation on keeping her around and safe. He literally straps her to his chest at all times.

And how he approaches Miles. Like I only have this kid because of you. Because you reminded me I can still do good things. Please hold her it will make you feel better.

Man some intriguing projection from our ole boy Peter B.

((listen I love the character he’s honestly probably my favorite after Miles and Gwen, but this is a man that screams ~ I went to one therapy session and I think I’m cured. ~))

Also I do have some experience with family members who have various mental health concerns and serious trauma their working through so I can give you some tips from that perspective too.

Cuz I do think there is way to write a realistic portrayal of trauma and mental health concerns. I just don’t think the two you picked would be a good fit for the story you wanna tell.
I picked agoraphobia and depression because I personally struggle with both and I guess in a way I'm trying to have a character who starts their growth with the realization they now have the capacity to help others. And with helping others she makes connections and reaches out for her own help. I think seeing someone genuinely terrified of the powers they have received is a struggle I haven't seen as drawn out as I would like.
She lives on her own and she's a little older with very high expectations to do everything on her own. But in reality she's merely surviving rather than living.
She doesn't really leave the house and works from home but is forced out of that comfort zone when she is pushed to act.
Similar to exposure therapy.
Not everything is just fixed but she starts to understand how to cope and live and thrive through exploring her powers and through learning her value not only through other people's eyes but through her own.
She starts by saving a life then subconsciously finding herself outside more, loving exercising and running more and eating more.

I can't thank you enough honestly!
I'd love to read it if you don't mind. I'm not an artist, I don't draw or anything but I started to last night and have been working on a suit for her and everything lol

So that was going to my next question (as you can tell by now brevity is not my strong suit so I try to space out my tangents to allow other people chance to respond).

So if you are using the character to address your issues I would have the catalyst be less of a one off thing.

As that’s kind of the problem with the “I went to therapy once and I am no cured mentality.”

I would say instead give her perhaps an adaptive power or maybe an empathetic one that forces her outside of her comfort zone more organically.

So Lifeguard is one of my favorite obscure marvel heroes. Her power is danger sense (like Spider Man) and situational adaptation.

So basically she subconsciously senses danger within a set radios of her location and her body automatically adapts to address it.

So ex. Let’s say there is a fire a block away she would sense it with her version of spider sense and her body would shift to say a water form. This would let her move into the building and rescue people.

** now granted Lifeguard was already a rescue worker before she got her powers (I think she was a literal lifeguard). **

But giving your character a power that makes her react to the needs of others I think might be a better way then her seeing crime.

Because I would assume if she already has anxiety and doesn’t want to leave the house then her first response isn’t going to he to run towards danger.

But her body reacting to danger wwithout her conscious control and her figuring out “oh hey this thing I was terrified of happened and I’m fine.” That feels closer to a sustainable exposure situation.

I mean god knows anxiety is different for everybody but I know whenever I was thrown into high stress situations by well meaning people trying to help me “get over” my anxiety it just made me worse.

It's funny you say that!
I was doing research on abilities spiders have and one of them is camouflage by using scraps and web to cover their body rather than go invisible like Miles.
Also, the ability to create this net of a different type of web that isn't sticky but its furry kinda? It catches on to fuzz and fabric
So rather than jumping straight into a fight fist first ( much like my anxiety ) she observes everything more strategically. She is literally more spider like. She'd leave web traps, scoop into a net, and hide in camouflage.

I also wanted to give her almost a literal empathic power?
Where her spider senses are triggered by anger, bloodlust and can pick up on strong emotions.

So the spider based powers are usually the literal abilities of the spider that bit them.

Ex. Miles spider could manipulate energy and turn invisible so that’s why Miles can do the same.

So I can see a spider being experimented on to develop some kind of emotional manipulation / sensory ability.

Ex. It can sense fear, aggressions/bloodlust, anger (as those are the emotions that mean it’s about to be attacked).

In response it projects feelings of calm, affection, etc. (to make people less likely to squish them).

Alternately it project fear/aggression/etc. back to make itself seem fierce and not like something someone wants to fuck with.

—-

Also I got the default spider powers wrong :

It’s proportional strength of a spider (super strength), Enchanced reflexes, danger sense, and wall crawling.

Webs are something some have and some make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back